April 4, 2003, 06:51 AM
I live in burbank, ca and in order to order i need to be in a club affilated with the cmp and have at least 50 rounds downrange in a match... my question is how do i find out about matches in my area or 15-20 miles away from me? i have a m1a and a mini-14. i will most likey be shooting my m1a :)


If you enjoyed reading about "Cmp...." here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
April 4, 2003, 07:19 AM
I fulfilled that CMP requirement by taking a firearm safety course that required a 50 round course of fire. I checked with the staff at CMP to verify that it would satisfy the requirement-they had me send them a course description, and told me it was ok. Check with CMP (they have a WONDERFUL staff!) to see if there is any course or match you can easily and conveniently complete (or maybe have already completed?) that would meet the requirement. Also, I believe the CMP will provide to you a list of affiliated clubs in your area that conduct sanctioned matches.

BTW, I love my CMP Garand!

April 4, 2003, 10:26 AM
Check for a list of CMP affiliated clubs. USPSA and Garand Collectors Association are both affiliated.

I believe that they are very liberal as to what qualifies as a "match." This is from the application form:

Have participated in a marksmanship activity where
at least 50 rounds of range firing were completed.
You must provide a copy of a results bulletin from a
competition or clinic completed with-in the last five
years or other proof you fired at least 50 rounds or participated
in other CMP approved marksmanship activities.
Providing proof of military or law enforcement service
or proof of Distinguished, Instructor or Coach status
will satisfy this requirement. This requirement is waived if
your proof of age shows you to be at least 60 years of
age. Proof of marksmanship not required for purchase of
drill rifles.

It looks to me like shooting any competition, even IDPA type stuff, qualifies for the shooting requirement. You still have to belong to an affiliated club, but I do not believe that there is any linkage there.

April 4, 2003, 04:45 PM
Lytle Creek is a bit more than 20 miles away, but they have CMP matches every month. You could probably give them a ring for details.

You might also call the Armory of Orange, who specializes in C&R rifles and has some RKIs on board. I want to say that the Lytle Creek CMP matches are in some way affiliated with them.

El Rojo
April 4, 2003, 06:09 PM
Ojai Valley Gun Club up in Ojai is more than 20 miles away, but they have National Match Shoots every 1st Sunday of the month. They no longer have a website, but here are the directions.

April 7, 2003, 05:42 AM
hrm.. any like easier ways to get around the 50 rounds down range in a match? ojai is far.. ventura... im going to igve that other place a call see what they say...


Don Gwinn
April 7, 2003, 11:50 AM
If you're in Santa Clara County, there's a club in San Jose according to that list. Did you check it?

April 7, 2003, 02:57 PM
Don, he's in beautiful downtown Burbank, like where Johnny Carson used to work. That would make it Los Angeles County. He probably lives just north of the Disney studios, off the 210/134.

The Angeles Range might be the closest of all, but I've never been there, so I can't comment on what they do/don't do there.

As for afiliated clubs, the California Rifle and Pisol Club (CRPA) is a good one. With membership, they send you "The Firing Line" which covers what's going on in the CA legislature (if you're in need of depressing news).

If you enjoyed reading about "Cmp...." here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!