More than one holster per gun?

PDA

2dogs
January 2, 2003, 10:57 AM
When I was trying to figure out the best way to carry, I tried different holsters and guns- as a result I have 2-3 holsters for each pistol I've considered carrying. And many of these were fairly expensive leather.

Am I the only one with alot of leather/Kydex/nylon laying unused around the house?:neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "More than one holster per gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tamara
January 2, 2003, 11:04 AM
You ain't the only one.

I have a box of excess leather, nylon and kydex.

Pappy John
January 2, 2003, 11:05 AM
Not to worry, 2dogs, you're perfectly normal. (holster-wise, anyway) I've got an "unused holster drawer" of my own plus scattered remnants around the basement.

AK103K
January 2, 2003, 11:30 AM
I have a box of excess leather, nylon and kydex

What, only one?? :)

PATH
January 2, 2003, 11:40 AM
I wish I was wealthy enough to have more than one holster for all my guns.:(

Blackhawk
January 2, 2003, 11:43 AM
You are not alone, as you've already found out.

It would be news if anybody had fewer holsters than handguns suitable for CCWs.

I get a kick out of new holsters, but I'm strange.... :D

garrettwc
January 2, 2003, 12:04 PM
You're not alone. We all go through that. I have found a creative way to deal with mine.

The ones that get discarded for whatever reason, I save them all and then every so often, I list them for sale. Last time I got enough to buy a new range bag and some other accessories.

Please recycle:D

AK103K
January 2, 2003, 12:13 PM
I've ended up "tinkering" with a lot of my "not quite right" holsters. They turn up all over the place, the car, the truck, under furniture, etc. I even alter some for other guns. So, all is not always a loss. I like garrettwc's idea of the "sell off" though. Guess i'll just have to out and buy some more, eh? :)

Captain Bligh
January 2, 2003, 12:18 PM
I only have 4 handguns (so far). All but one have multiple holsters. And, the only reason for that exception is that it's a new gun and I haven't had it long enough to aquire its next holster.

I find that when I buy a new gun, I want a holster for it right away while I wait for that special holster to be made by a leather craftsman. So, each gun has a machine-made mass produced holster while it waits on the next one.

RJ

Hemicuda
January 2, 2003, 12:21 PM
For my carry gun I have: (and use)

1 - Galco Miami Classic leather shoulder rig

1 - Uncle Mikes Cordure shoulder rig

2 - Jak-Slde holsters (1 real Galco, one home-made from the Galco pattern (with mods)

1 - home-made IWB (denim material)

1 - Bianchi suede leather IWB

1 - Bianchi hip holster (Cordura)

1 - Uncle Mikes "clip" holster (modified to work as a car-holster)

and 1 "Businessmans Companion daily planner rig"

(that's 9 holsters for 1 gun, if you're counting)

other guns I usually have 2 or 3 holsters for... (takes a couple tries to find the right rig, usually)

KMKeller
January 2, 2003, 12:34 PM
I'm afraid I've only got one per except for the Kahr P9. For it I have two. I am considering getting a Mitch Rosen shoulder holster for my HK compact.

I feel so... deficient.

Captain Bligh
January 2, 2003, 12:37 PM
Hemicuda, of that list which gets used the most?

RJ

4v50 Gary
January 2, 2003, 12:50 PM
Nah, I've got several holsters for my Sig P220 (shoulder and belt and duty). Pretty normal.

Hemicuda
January 2, 2003, 12:51 PM
The Galco Jak-Slide belt holster gets used the absolute most... (at least until it wears out) I leave it on my belt all the time, wether the gun is present or not. (the gun is USUSALLY present)

followed second by the Businessmans Companion, (but I use it as a way to store the gun when I am not carrying... (think "hidden in plain sight")

I also use the Uncle Mikes clip-car unit in the vehicles alot, and the U.M. cordura shoulder unit in the winter...

in the summer, for DEEP concealment, I use the denim homemade job, when wearing jean-shorts, and need better concealment than a Jak-Slide can give (thin t-shirts and whatnot)

but without a doubt, the Galco Jak slide...

sm
January 2, 2003, 12:59 PM
Its Normal

Its also normal to "well I have this holster, forgot what its for..being a nice leather jobee and all.... better go buy a gun to fit it..." ;)

[who says gun owners can't rationalize ?]

Viking6
January 2, 2003, 01:03 PM
I have several holsters for most of my handguns and most get into the rotation based on what I need. This reminds me that I need to do a quick inventory of what I DO have.

para.2
January 2, 2003, 01:07 PM
"better go buy a gun to fit it..."

LOL! I thought i was the only one who ever did that!:rolleyes:

Col. Mustard
January 2, 2003, 01:15 PM
Gee, Hemi; your list sounds a lot like mine:

For my carry gun I have: (and use)

1 - Galco Miami Classic leather shoulder rig

Me too.

1 - Uncle Mikes Cordure shoulder rig

Have one, don't use it much.

2 - Jak-Slde holsters (1 real Galco, one home-made from the Galco pattern (with mods)

I just have the real Galco Slide

1 - home-made IWB (denim material)

Okay, this one I don't have.

1 - Bianchi suede leather IWB

I've got a Galco suede IWB

1 - Bianchi hip holster (Cordura)

I've got a Bianchi snap-on slide in Cordura

1 - Uncle Mikes "clip" holster (modified to work as a car-holster)

My car holster is a Galco Roto paddle. I also have an Uncle Mike's clip IWB.

and 1 "Businessmans Companion daily planner rig"

My "hidden-in-plain sight" rig is a fanny pack.

Okay, so I've only got 8 holsters for my SiG P228. No, wait! I've also got a Kydex paddle that also fits (and is currently used with) my new SiG P220. So that's 9. Well, 8-1/2. :rolleyes:

And, like you, the Galco Slide is my favorite.

Gee, Hemi; you're my hero. :scrutiny:

LeadPumper
January 2, 2003, 01:16 PM
as a result I have 2-3 holsters for each pistol

And?

Slacker.

-LeadPumper

dave
January 2, 2003, 01:45 PM
This post got me to thinking (i know,i know).

I added up the cost of the several boxes of holsters laying around. Man, I've spent enough on them to have bought more than one good, very good, gun. Seems I'm worse than my wife, got a holster for most every "outfit" I wear.

I don't believe it can be helped. Due to job, I dress differently on some work days. Everything from Class A uniform to BDUs, and everything in between. Most usual work days are in suit or sports coat, sometimes jeans or casual wear. Same for when I go out. Sometimes "dressed up", sometimes casual, sometimes jeans and t-shirt, and sometims sweat pants.

I haven't been able to find that "one" holster that will work with all these styles of dress. Sometimes I buy one, thinking it looks good, only to find it wasn't quite what I wanted/needed. My only complaint so far, is that some of the "high end" holsters that cost an arm and a leg, aren't really any better than some of the more reasonably priced ones. Then again, I've bought a few "low cost" holsters that weren't good for anything but door stops.

Ah well, a man needs a reason to get up in the morning, right?

Bob Locke
January 2, 2003, 01:59 PM
I have one holster for concealed carry and one holster for on-the-hip carry for my two autoloaders (G21, G19). Only one (the CCW for the G19) is leather; the others are Kydex.

tobeat1
January 2, 2003, 02:58 PM
I have a box FULL of duty holsters, concealment holsters, backup holsters, etc. Some I no longer have guns for but I just cannot bring myself to throw them away. Since I am left handed nobody seems to be much interested in buying them.

Skunkabilly
January 2, 2003, 03:02 PM
My guns share holsters. I try to get one size fits a few for my range stuff, so my Beretta and USP go in the same thigh rig, and my KZ45 and USP45C mags go in the same magpouches.

Carbon_15
January 2, 2003, 03:56 PM
I too have a holster graveyard. Could probly make a few car payments with the wasted money. The sad fact is, some holsters seem great untill you wear them for a few hours. There is one particular brand and style of boned leather holster that I loved to carry my Glocks in. I liked it so much, I went out and bought the same style for all my handguns...they sucked...go figure.

Hemicuda
January 2, 2003, 04:09 PM
I forgot the fanny pack... I got one of those also... wow... that's 10 usable holsters for my carry piece... Is there a 10 step program for this?

Ed Brunner
January 2, 2003, 06:40 PM
If you only have one holster per gun, there is a real good chance of finding one you would like better.:)

Moondancer
January 2, 2003, 06:59 PM
I just pulled all of mine for the carry gun out of the drawer and layed them on the bed the other day.

Galco Jackass Shoulder rig
Blade-Tech Paddle
Fobus Roto-holster (paddle)
Uncle Mikes "fake" suede IWB with clip
Galco Stealth IWB
Galco Summer Comfort IWB
Milt Sparks #60 TK
Bianchi X-15 shoulder rig (bought for a 686, works for a Kimber)

Gee. That's only 8. In the holster wars I'm losing, so better get another. Ummmm, holsters (said in my best Homer Simpson voice!)

trapshooter
January 2, 2003, 07:11 PM
I don't think it's bad to have multiple holsters for the same gun. I think it's smart. If you have a gun that suits you, shouldn't you be able to carry it in all appropriate situations and ways.

OTOH, got anything for sale?:p

Walosi
January 2, 2003, 07:24 PM
I start deliberately with an IWB and an OWB for each gun. USUALLY (HA) I get these right on the first try, unless someone else leads me astray with some new variation. Then, I consider whether the gun will be carried in situations deserving a good crossdraw or shoulder rig. USUALLY (HA) they do. I've sold off my excess from time to time, but still have enough leather to re-cover a small herd of cows, and maybe a small pony. At times, I could have upholstered a Greyhound bus..:banghead: Then, there's the belts. Didn't anybody mention belts?

If you enjoyed reading about "More than one holster per gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!