How to become a moderator?

PDA

exoduster18
December 4, 2005, 09:52 PM
How does one become a moderator?

Just curious, but I would like to know. I would like to become one if at all possible.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to become a moderator?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Third_Rail
December 4, 2005, 10:01 PM
Be around longer than two months, for one. ;)

Phyphor
December 4, 2005, 10:07 PM
Be around longer than two months, for one. ;)

And have a fair and balanced hand, for one :D

exoduster18
December 4, 2005, 10:11 PM
Yeah, but are those the only qualifying items?

I'm looking for a response from the mods.

I know respect comes with age, and, as opposed to the other people on this forum, I'm pretty young when compared to everyone in "forum" age.

I'm a CIT: NW (Computer Information Technologies: Networking Technologies) major and I thought that this would be a good experience for me.

Thanks for any info!

Devonai
December 4, 2005, 10:23 PM
You must be able to smell a troll from three forums away.

exoduster18
December 4, 2005, 10:27 PM
I appreciate all of the posts, but please, real info only.

I only want the information that wil give me what I want to know.

sm
December 4, 2005, 10:29 PM
Invitation by the Owner of THR.
One whom lives by example what is read here : http://www.thehighroad.org/code-of-conduct.html

Usually persons whom have experiences in various areas of firearm responsiblities. Political, Training, LEO, Military, Research, Hunting, Writers ,Gunsmiths, and many other Professions / Professionals whom have attracted themselves to the Owner of THR and the rest of the Staff as being someone to adhere , promote and moderate the THR Misson Statement.

Many of whom who were Staff at TFL , still are, and Staff on other Sister sites.

I have played mod/ staff for some beta forums in another area of interest. I can share one is not always appreciated, respected, or liked. Instead of being able to participate as non-staff, there is a LOT of behind the scenes going-ons.

One reads all threads in their respective area of responsiblity, or for some have the ability to perform duties in other areas.

I mean the first 500 posts about how terrible a canidate is...or perhaps a caliber comparison is bad enough...but you still get to read them...1k, 1.5k, 2k...

Political season [read election year] is the best time to put in for vacation time as a moderator.

See there is a 'shoot off' to see who gets off, and who has to moderate the L&P forum...Folks are already practicing, so they can indeed take off during election year.

:p

exoduster18
December 4, 2005, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the info, sm.

Anybody else know something not covered?

TxCajun
December 4, 2005, 10:56 PM
Hey, since you're an I.T. guy, there's one sure way.

Start your own forum. :neener:

TxCajun

exoduster18
December 5, 2005, 11:34 AM
yeah that would work...but why would I start my own board when we already have a great one here? I wouldn't be able to top THR. Experience is necessary when trying do to those things and I don't have any. I figured this would be the place to ask and to find out if I could do it or not.

Any info from the mods?

pax
December 5, 2005, 12:46 PM
It is by invitation only.

Lobbying for it is frowned upon.

sm's post isn't too far from the mark, though it is more descriptive than it is prescriptive.

Being generally helpful, not whiny, contributing good thoughtful posts, refusing to get involved in flamefests, being a peacemaker without being meddlesome, and being kind to new members are all required.

None of those, however, guarantees a staff billet -- they only guarantee that some of us will smile instead of cringe when we see your posts.

pax

Mal H
December 5, 2005, 01:10 PM
Ok, I'll give you my input on what it takes to become a moderator here.

In truth, there isn't much to add to what sm stated. His very first sentence, "Invitation by the Owner of THR.", sums up the entire process. However, what goes on behind the scenes to prompt that invitation is probably what you're looking for.

First of all, there has to be a need for new or replacement moderators brought about by new forums added or moderator retirements, etc. Currently there isn't a need that I know of.

When the need does arise, the current "Staph" discuss possible candidates amongst ourselves. We have never had a situation where there wasn't several qualified candidates.

The candidate pool is made up of the THR members who have consistently (over a fairly long period of time) shown that they are level headed and follow the main rules of the board. That is, they haven't gotten into verbal fights on the board with other members or have, in fact, calmed the waters, so to speak, when other members have. Certainly knowledge of firearms is a plus, but actually not all that necessary. Of much more importance is a proven sense of ownership of THR, even as a non-moderator; helping other members, keeping the peace, etc.

Of course, once a candidate is asked to join the staff, he or she has to decide if they really want to deal with the built-in hassles associated with the "job"; reading the threads as sm said, PM'ing members to get back on track or whatever, even banning a member when absolutely necessary.

That may be more than a "nutshell" worth of info, but it is basically how the process works. HTH

[Edit]
Also you have to be able to type faster than most to be a really good moderator. :D (But, but, I have an excuse teacher. I was intermittently carrying Christmas decorations up and down the stairs while I was working on my thesis above - honest! ;) )

Pax did indeed give you the nutshell version and as you can see we are basically saying the same things.

sm
December 5, 2005, 01:16 PM
they only guarantee that some of us will smile instead of cringe when we see your posts.

<staff is cringing now> :p

That is why Oleg bought all the THR Staff those stress relieving hand ball dealies with my username as a logo quite some time ago. Sometimes when I see a :D from a THR Staff, I get this :eek: in ...err...lower regions. Some of you Staff sqeeze way too often , way too hard - sometimes both. :neener:

Gotta have a sense of humor too. In my beta forum testing dealie...I'm a Southern Boy, I'm doing good to do English, when someone posted in a foreign language - the tranlator dealie kinda sorta went on the blitz [ always wondered what that tab was for...*smirk*] All I could do was type "Looks good to me coach". Someone in Germany spilled a nice wine...notified some dumb southern boy about "that tab", Germans have neat sense of humor. Oh well at least I learned what that feature did...and learned from a German Lady Engineer how no matter what - we all learn from each other something.

"Steve - this is not a "do I cut the blue wire or red wire" - just do not hit that tab and all is good". :o

Never said I smart . *wink*

Ouch! Stop that...

DevLcL
December 5, 2005, 08:14 PM
i want be a modorater, do yous havta ta have good ghrammer?

exoduster18
December 5, 2005, 11:45 PM
I wasn't lobbying for it....I know that is a big turn-off. I was just wondering about it is all. I guess I'll just have to keep my posts sensible and and keep watch of my words and actions. Thanks for all of the info, especially the mods!!

swampsniper
December 5, 2005, 11:49 PM
I am automatically suspicious of volunteers!:evil:

exoduster18
December 6, 2005, 12:11 AM
Suspicous of volunteers? What is the problem with volunteers?

countertop
December 6, 2005, 12:58 AM
Not suspicious of volunteers, just suspicious of Phil Fulmer.

Mal H
December 6, 2005, 09:17 AM
This thread has served its purpose, not much point in further "discussion".

If you enjoyed reading about "How to become a moderator?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!