When to toss 357 brass?

PDA

Coltdriver
December 6, 2005, 01:19 PM
What do you look for in your 357 brass that makes you decide to stop reloading it???

I have reloaded some 4 times now and it appears fine. No cracking, nothing that I can see that would make me say its time to get new brass.

I bought some gun show rounds and the brass had headstamps that were readable but not crisp.

If you enjoyed reading about "When to toss 357 brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Starter52
December 6, 2005, 01:24 PM
I used to reload .357 brass beyond four times back when magnum brass was scarce. Nowadays four full-power reloads is about my limit. Why ask for trouble?

Cherokee
December 6, 2005, 01:43 PM
That 357 Mag brass is good for many more reloads but I would revert to the less than max levels. I'm still using brass acquired in 1960's.

mtnbkr
December 6, 2005, 01:55 PM
I buy brass new. New brass gets loaded into full power loads (180gr@1200fps) twice, then gets trimmed down to 1.25" and used for "lite magnum" loads such as 158gr@1100fps. I'll use it in that group until the brass fails or I lose it.

Chris

caz223
December 6, 2005, 04:27 PM
I guess it depends.
How firm you crimp.
Is your sizer sizing excessively?
How much do you bell the mouth?
For .357 I check for 2 things, the first is case head seperation.
If you take a small flashlight and a little dental pick/hook and put it in all the way, gently scraping against the case head all the way back and slowly bring it towards you. If you can't feel a 'ridge' forming, you're ok for another reload.
The other thing to check for is excessive work-hardening of the case mouth area.
If it appears brittle, split, or discolored, throw it out.
After I get 10- 15 loads out of it, I drill 'em out, and add 'em to my ever expanding wax bullet collection.

Poodleshooter
December 6, 2005, 05:36 PM
I usually reload till the split or show stretching just above the head.

Ben Shepherd
December 6, 2005, 08:54 PM
Full Horse loads once. Then regular type 357 loads until it loses neck tension or splits. OR-

If it says remington it just flat out gets thrown away:cuss: .

The Bushmaster
December 6, 2005, 10:07 PM
Load-em Shoot-em until I see 10% splitting in a group of fifty. Because I keep my .357 cases in a set I can do this. 10% of 50 = 5...I also have some nickle plated REMINGTON (:D ) cases that are dated 1966 in my log book and they are still going strong. I do agree with mtnbkr...Load them hot twice then make them range/practice brass...

If you enjoyed reading about "When to toss 357 brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!