Which M1A has ONLY a Rear Lug ?

PDA

Sven
April 4, 2003, 06:47 PM
I'm looking to find an M1A with a receiver having ONLY the rear lug... versus the front AND rear lug.

Does anyone out there in THR-ville know which - if any - of the current production Springfield M1As have ONLY the rear lug?

Thanks,

-sven

If you enjoyed reading about "Which M1A has ONLY a Rear Lug ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Frohickey
April 4, 2003, 07:13 PM
IIRC, Springfield Armory makes 2 kinds of M1A receivers. One without a rear lug, and one with a rear lug.

For a double lugged receiver, you would have to go to some other M14-pattern manufacturer.
Entreprise Arms (http://www.entreprise.com/Fal/m1a2.htm) makes rear lugged M14-style receivers, and also double lugged (front and rear) M14-style receivers.

Sven
April 4, 2003, 07:19 PM
So which 'variation' do I order from Springfield to get the rear-only-lugged receiver?

Standard / Loaded / ...

Found great pictures on Enterprise's site showing the variations.

Thanks!

-s

Engineer
April 4, 2003, 08:03 PM
Sven, models over the National Match should have the rear lugged receiver - you'd have to order either a Super Match or M21.

Sven
April 4, 2003, 08:16 PM
Gulp... uh... I better start saving money... like, big time.

telewinz
April 4, 2003, 08:28 PM
Armscorp of Baltimore MD offers all three versions of the M14 receiver. But be prepared for a long wait, IF you are lucky. Their is such a demand for their receivers that lately they have not been willing to sell their receivers separately at any price. You have to buy the whole rifle:what:

Frohickey
April 4, 2003, 09:17 PM
Springfield M1A rear lug receiver $745 (http://www.creedmoorsports.com/M9903.html)

Steve Smith
April 5, 2003, 06:20 PM
I think the SM and the M21 are both rear lugged. I agree with Frohickey, perhaps a receiver purchase is in order.

Try to go through a friendly dealer...you could save hundreds.

Sven
April 6, 2003, 05:36 AM
Frohickey,

Thanks for that link - very helpful. I am now sourcing the remaining parts - trying to go USGI all the way, except for the Barrel... for that, I'm thinking Krieger.

A gentleman on BattleRifles suggests that I look for TRW M14 parts... hrm. More research to do.

fixer
April 6, 2003, 07:33 AM
AFAIK, you can't NOT have the front lugs, since that's how the trigger assembly is held into the reciever. and i've heard form somee on the M1A e-list that the double lugged recivers are prone to crack... eventually, because that rear lug is welded on.

i'd stick with the standard Springfield reciever... the othrers have a bad rep for being out of spec.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which M1A has ONLY a Rear Lug ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!