1911 Barrel link pin question

PDA

SquirrelNuts
April 4, 2003, 09:12 PM
I own a Springfield 1911A1 Mil-Spec 9mm that I have a problem with. I know what caused the problem, and it is not the gun. The barrel link pin does not sit tight. It you remove the barrel and rotate it to the side, the barrel link pin will fall out. It did not do this before the incident we had tonight. How do I get the barrel link pin to stay in place? Is it soldered, glued, or do I just need a larger link pin? The current pin is a solid pin, and I cannot expand it with a punch or anything.

-SquirrelNuts

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 Barrel link pin question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
burrhead
April 4, 2003, 09:34 PM
You can fit a larger pin but there really isn't any reason to. I carried a S70 Colt for 20 years that came new with a "loose" link pin. It won't cause a problem unless things a really wobbly.

SquirrelNuts
April 4, 2003, 09:39 PM
Ok, I can rack the slide without noticing any hang ups. I will try to shoot it later and see what happens. I am just used to the pin staying in there when I strip the gun and remove the barrel. Now it is just one more thing to worry about.

-SquirrelNuts

yankytrash
April 4, 2003, 11:28 PM
I'd make sure there's no fore/aft movement before I continued shootin it. Catastrophic failure sounds possible, which could cause other problems (chipped lugs, barrel breech end getting jammed in the dust cover, etc).

Bigger pin is a possiblity if you can find one. I'd get a new link and pin.

yzguy
April 4, 2003, 11:44 PM
is it supposed to be tight??

I got a 1927 (1911 clone) used and it has never been tight, over 1,000 rounds through it like that without a problem....

just a dab of oil or grease (depending on how loose) will keep it in place durring assembly....

SquirrelNuts
April 5, 2003, 01:43 AM
I am considering putting a drop of super/crazy glue on there. Everything seems to be operating smoothly they way things are set up now. I had a problem with a jammed case that was in the chamber TIGHT and the extractor could not remove it. I had to force a cleaning rod down the barrel to extract the case. When I diassembled the gun, the barrel link pin was loose. I will try a little grease on there first.

-SquirrelNuts

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 Barrel link pin question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!