I saw Phone Booth

PDA

cratz2
April 4, 2003, 08:40 PM
- WARNING - Possible spoilers by several posters below.

I saw Phone Booth the new movie with Collin Farrell and *an unknown sniper* (and the entirely
unattractive Katie Holms in a minor role :p ).

It was OK. Actually turned out better than you'd think and hour and a half movie about a guy in a phone booth could be. Ending was obvious and very uninspired.

The gun reference was that *unknown sniper* relays the details of his sniper rifle... '30 caliber Model 700 with carbon upgrade and tactical Hensoldt telescopic sight' to the best of my recollection. Not sure what sort of sniper with his obvious skills would refer to his rifle as '30 calilber' instead of 7.62 or .308 or .30-06 or .300 Win Mag or whatever it was.

Anyone see it and remember the details a bit more clearly?

If you enjoyed reading about "I saw Phone Booth" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MisterX
April 5, 2003, 12:31 PM
i went to see this movie for the guns. it was the CRAPPIEST movie EVER. It's about this guy who's stuck in a phone booth because some sniper is gonna kill him, and he cant hang up the phone because the sniper will kill him. the police come and exhibit the POOREST police tactics in the world. i cant even find the words to explain how crappy it was. the police snipers were using shotguns from the roof, and didnt even have a clear shot to the phone booth. don't go see it, unless you wanna be bored out of your mind for 70 minutes. :banghead:

TheOtherOne
April 5, 2003, 01:31 PM
Hey you weren't suppose to say who the sniper was... That's the big secret and twist that the movie studio has been trying to keep mum.

:D

cratz2
April 5, 2003, 08:06 PM
Oops... edited to remove the identity of the sniper. I hate people that give away the secret and now I am one, I guess. :(

By the way, how could anyone not know who the sniper was? I knew who it was just from the commercials. Guess it's that finely tuned musician ear. He has a fairly distinctive voice. If they wanted to keep mum about it, they shouldn't have put his voice in the commercial

It never shows him clearly but I can't imagine many folks wouldn't know who he was. But I greatly appologize to anyone if I gave anything away.

cratz2
April 5, 2003, 08:10 PM
Duplicate thread... Actually I don't recall any shotguns on the roof. I thought they had rifles on the roof and rifles and shotguns on the fire escapes. I did notice than not many, if any, of the riflemen were using their attached bipods.

It was surpisingly short. Then again, how long can one guy talk to another guy in a phone booth. :p

pax
April 5, 2003, 08:34 PM
Merged duplicate threads.

pax

Seeing a murder on television can help work off one's antagonisms. And if you haven't any antagonisms, the commercials will give you some. -- Alfred Hitchcock

Don Gwinn
April 5, 2003, 08:46 PM
I don't think the guy playing the sniper is that big a secret. They've showed his face in the commercials on TV (see, I can be discreet) and today two different review shows mentioned him by name. Besides, after 24, not many people don't know his voice.

Gusgus
April 5, 2003, 08:49 PM
I find the whole premise of this movie laughable. What idiot is going to stand on the street, knowing that he is in the sights of a mad man. "I won't kill you if you do what I say". Yeah, right, like I'm going to trust a nut case. As soon as a shot is fired, I'm running like a rabbit for cover. This is in the middle of a city. How long would it take you to get from a phone booth into the back of a store or office building? If he's shooting a semi, he's only going to have a few seconds to recover from recoil, and then try line up on an erratic target zig zagging to cover . If it's a bolt action, not only does he have to recover, but now he has to operate the bolt. I'd take my chances on the run.

Harold Mayo
April 5, 2003, 09:10 PM
Just got back from seeing it and your quote about the weapon is pretty much right one, though I think he said it had a "carbon 1" upgrade and he played up the Hensoldt scope with a couple of modifying words, though I don't remember what they were.

When they showed the apartment at the end, it looked like an Accuracy International rifle of some type (or the AICS stock, anyway) mounted on a camera tripod thingie.

When the shooter is shown in the street at the end of the movie, he is walking along with a Pelican case past a bunch of cops. Maybe I look at too much luggage with the thought of "which weapon could be carried in that" but, to me, it was obvious that it was a rifle case. Yeah, I knew what was in it, but I would think the same thing if I saw that case in real life on the street.

Chris Rhines
April 5, 2003, 11:20 PM
Phone Booth was okay, certainly an interesting premise, but the story was a bit shaky. It would have been nice to see a less banal motivation for the sniper, for one thing.

- Chris

cratz2
April 6, 2003, 03:10 AM
Of course, with my terminally preverted way of thinking, if I were Stuart's character, I would have introtuced Kelly and Pam to one another, bought a couple nice bottles of wine and see where it went from there. ;)

cslinger
April 6, 2003, 11:52 AM
The acting was excellent IMO, and it did a pretty good job at creating and holding tension for essentially a one scene movie.

I liked the premise but thought it could have been done better.

And if I heard the "sniper" work that bolt, most likely ejecting a round one more time I was gonna scream. It seemed like every three minutes he was working the bolt to make that oh so cool noise. I mean I know they make note of the reasons for it in the beginning but.....I'm thinking work that bolt one more time and you gotta reload and I am going to beat feet.

It did have one of the funniest lines I have ever heard which I cannot repeat here but it had to do with somebody hurting her hand while hitting the phone boot. If you saw it you will probably remember it. Cracked me up.:D

Harold Mayo
April 6, 2003, 02:18 PM
It did have one of the funniest lines I have ever heard which I cannot repeat here but it had to do with somebody hurting her hand while hitting the phone boot. If you saw it you will probably remember it. Cracked me up.

My wife got mad at me because I kept laughing at that line WAY after the scene was over. You gotta take care of the "hand that feeds you", so to speak, and I'm sure that the "lady" in question was mightily peeved at hurting her money-making hand on the phone booth.

cratz2
April 6, 2003, 02:45 PM
The entire theater, minus the group of three 70-something ladies, busted out when she said that. :p

PsyWarrior
April 6, 2003, 07:48 PM
Went to the movies last night...here's my options...Basic, a BS John Travolta movie about interrogation by someone who knows nothing about actual interrogation (I was an interrogator in the army) Nope... Phone booth...2 hours of phone conversation and stupid cops that can't tell the difference in a telephone reciever and a gun......nope....

The core. Awesome. Sorta like Armageddon but instead of going to space going to the center of the earth. Great space shuttle crash scene (everyone survived) Some really great humor scenes. A computer geek that looks like the gnome on harry potter 2. A definite must see.

BerettaNut92
April 6, 2003, 10:10 PM
The best line in the movie was: "You know in the movies, how the good guy is about to kill the bad guy, and he cocks his gun? Now, why didn't he have his gun cocked? Because it sounds scary."

"He got a Glock! He got a Glock!"

The po-po's gun handling was actually pretty good, fingers off the trigger, all around. The Benelli guy had a shotgun, but all the rooftop guys had bolt actions.

What optics did they have on the MP5s?

lostdog
April 6, 2003, 11:25 PM
I saw the movie, and did anybody wonder how he was walking away WITH the gun when it was STILL IN the apartment? Also, why did he leave an s&w sigma in the phone booth(that was what it looked like) Although the use of a "less lethal" load was cool.

cratz2
April 6, 2003, 11:34 PM
I saw the movie, and did anybody wonder how he was walking away WITH the gun when it was STILL IN the apartment?

Well, without divulging the obvious to me twist, that's the way it had to happen.

Also, regarding the less lethal round... I admit I just watched Jackass The Movie the other day and in it, he voluntarily gets shot with a less lethal round and the wound in Phone Booth looks exactly like the one that the Jackass guy had. I even commented to my wife that maybe the makeup director in Phone Booth watched Jackass to see how to make that wound look.

JG
April 6, 2003, 11:42 PM
I saw the movie, and did anybody wonder how he was walking away WITH the gun when it was STILL IN the apartment

Spoilers**********(for people who actually want to see the movie).

Yup, could be 2 things.....one they screwed up, or two we are supposed to assume that the gun in the Hotel room was a dummy rifle and that he had a different gun and was possibly set up in a different nearby hotel room. When he knew the cops were on to him he killed the Pizza guy in the "setup" room and took off (whether he had the Pizza guy tied up or knocked him out earlier who knows).

I thought the movie was ok, nothing to write home about. The hookers part was way too drawn out. Some of the scenes were a tad cheesy in Joel Schumacher fashion. Also, 5 snipers called on the roof to cover one guy in a Phone Booth?

Overall, the acting was very good....... Kiefer Sutherland is the man though, just watching him walk away from the crime scene with that S*it eating grin on his face was great.

Also, the racking of the rifle for no reason was starting to drive me nuts.

BerettaNut92
April 7, 2003, 12:34 AM
I thought it had too many loose ends.

I'm thinking he had a second rifle set up. He planted the Sigma there, hoping the popo wouldn't find out about him, and thinking he killed the pimp.

Still, the laser bit was cheesy, and the suppressor was a little too quiet, but NYC is noisy?

Was he using frangibles, shouldn't Stu have gotten hit when he shot the pimp if he was using HPs like he said?

cratz2
April 7, 2003, 01:09 AM
Yeah, the visible laser thing was cheesy. Or maybe it was just the most powerful laser sight ever - capable of cutting through a couple hundred yards of NYC daylight and still displaying a perfectly clear dot. :rolleyes:

And year, when he shot the pimp, it didn't go completely through him. We have to assume it was at least a 7.62x51 and at 200 yards, I've gotta think that darn near every bullet is going to go completely through someone wearing only a tacky Hawaiian shirt. :p

Still, overall I nejoyed the movie... right up until, but not including, the last five minutes or so.

BerettaNut92
April 7, 2003, 02:29 AM
I thought, lots of loose ends, the part w/ the BG reminded me of Scooby Doo.

I would have liked to have gotten to 'know' the BG a little more.

Still, a little different from the other movies out there, you have to give them credit for being different.

cslinger
April 7, 2003, 09:18 AM
SPOILER ALERT DON"T READ IF YOU HAVEN"T SEEN.

At the end where he is walking away all I could think was...."Hey now, those pelican cases cost big bucks I'd be taking mine with me too:D "

Actually what I couldn't understand is why an area cordoned off with more SWAT and regular PD than was necessary didn't bother keeping the sniper out of the area and you can't tell me at least one of those SWAT guys isn't a gun nut and therefore wouldn't look at this guys case and think....mmmmmm wonder what could be in there?

Labinnac
April 7, 2003, 09:35 AM
Best gun movie I've seen in a while.

3000 Miles to Graceland

BerettaNut92
April 7, 2003, 12:00 PM
I was thinking the same thing too with the case. My other two buddies I was with (shooters) groaned and said, "Like, that's not obvious" :rolleyes: :D

westex
April 8, 2003, 01:09 AM
Kinda flacky but interesting. Laying the groundwork for Phone Booth II or Phone Booth Meets Deathwish 7?

I agree the laser bit was a little too much but remember this is a movie not made for us gun nuts but for the sheeple and all they know are lasers are red, deadly, evil things that cause all sorts of good people to do bad things. :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "I saw Phone Booth" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!