Mauser help

PDA

Byron Quick
April 4, 2003, 10:30 PM
I've got a Mauser 98k from SOG. It shoots fine. The only problem is that cycling the bolt is somewhat stiff when you keep the rifle on your shoulder. How can I smooth this out?

If you enjoyed reading about "Mauser help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
April 5, 2003, 01:24 AM
First, I'd try giving the bolt assembly a good cleaning with a solvent, drying and lubing with a good grease. Make sure to grease the cocking ramp on the bolt.
Often this will be all that's needed, since the bolts are usually crudded up with old dirt and grease.

Since it's an older Mauser, it's probably broken in, so if that doesn't work put a bit of fine valve grinding compound on the area where the cocking piece engages the ramp cut on the bolt.

Tie the trigger back with wire or tape so the action won't cock, then just raise and lower the bolt handle to lap the surfaces smooth.
When the area is smooth, clean everything THROUGHLY with solvent to remove all the abrasive, then lube the parts with a good grease.

DON'T overdo this, you can break through the hardening, and it doesn't take much anyway.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mauser help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!