M1A Questions

PDA

isaidme
April 4, 2003, 11:35 PM
I am wondering about the reliability of these rifles!I am starting to shy away from the idea of buying an AR do to the things I have read about them being unreliable unless keep spotless:D sort to speek.The AK's I have read are just the opposite but arnt to terribly accurate.I know there are high capacity mags for the M1A which makes it sound like a great option to the others.Dont get me wrong I clean all my guns after every session but I want a rifle that can take abuse and keep on ticking.My other question is other then Springfield are their other guys out there making quality M1A's?The Springfields seem a little too high for some reason although I will not rule them out.Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "M1A Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Handy
April 5, 2003, 12:11 AM
Springfields ARE the cheapest. They are also likely the least reliable, due to the cast, non-GI parts used in much of the rifle. The M14/M1A is mostly a target rifle, due to cost.

Similar, but cheaper, are M1 Garands from the CMP. Starting at $400, these are tough 30-06 rifles that are well used. Tough and cheap, the bullets are expensive.

If you want a tough, inexpensive and reliable autoloader, get one of the better FALs. The only thing they really lack is super accuracy, but they're very good. The IAI M-444 is about $700. The DSA's are closer to M1A pricing. There are cheaper models.

The other option would be a Robinson Vepr rifle. Based on the AK like RPK machine gun, they come in .223, .308 and 7.62x39 for $500.

There are also Cetme and HK part guns, which I am leary of due to questionable build quality. But if you get a decent Cetme, you have a reliable rifle for $300.

isaidme
April 5, 2003, 12:13 AM
Thanks handy!Ive got alot of research ahead of me here.

45Badger
April 5, 2003, 07:51 AM
Love my M1A (SA, 1997?) and my M1 Garand (SA, 1942). Both have been 100% reliable with ball ammo, and surprisingly accurate!

If you keep a close eye on AR15.com, you'll find great deals on M1A's pop up about once a month. I think a lot of those plastic gun fanatics want to rid themselves of any made with wood:D

Blackcloud6
April 5, 2003, 12:36 PM
>>I am starting to shy away from the idea of buying an AR do to the things I have read about them being unreliable unless keep spotless sort to speek.<<

This sin't true. ARs are great and reliable rifles. Clean them like any firearm and lube per specs and the AR will outdo them all.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1A Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!