Hi-Point Owners (I know you are out there) How often do you clean?

PDA

Woody_in_MN
December 9, 2005, 10:23 PM
My new 40sw JCP manual says "clean barrel at 300-400 rounds". Yips! I brush clean the barrel, and oil gun after every shooting. Am I over-cleansing, over-oiling my Hi-Point?

- w

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi-Point Owners (I know you are out there) How often do you clean?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
December 9, 2005, 10:44 PM
My new 40sw JCP manual says "clean barrel at 300-400 rounds". Yips! I brush clean the barrel, and oil gun after every shooting. Am I over-cleasing, over-oiling my Hi-Point?

- w

I clean all my weapons after every use, one round or five hundred. A weapon cannot be too well cleaned.

scubie02
December 9, 2005, 10:51 PM
wait, you're supposed to CLEAN a hipoint!?! :evil:

I rarely clean my hipoint carbine, and it just chugs along without seeming to notice.

Crosshair
December 9, 2005, 11:33 PM
Never cleaned mine yet, (and I bought it used) just a light oil coating to prevent rust.

therealsteamer
December 9, 2005, 11:41 PM
The C-9 is a real pain to clean so it rarely gets cleaned, the dissasembly sucks. Lots of Q-tips and swabs.

My carbine gets much more atention and a "detailed" cleaning. It is rather picky and has been back to the factory twice for major repairs. Great customer service though. I try to clean it after every shooting but it can wait till it has eaten about 200-300 rounds before it starts to have questionable reliability...

bfox
December 10, 2005, 12:06 AM
Hi Woody

I do the same as you .
I always thought they meant 300 rds or so
till you take that pain in the Butt roll pin out .

I got the 45 shoots good I like it .

Bill

CajunBass
December 10, 2005, 12:26 AM
I run a patch through the barrel and clean around the ejection port of my C-9 with a Q-tip and a Hoppes No 9, every once in a while.

If I think about it.

If I don't? Oh well. It'll work anyway.

Woody_in_MN
December 10, 2005, 06:20 AM
bfox -

The manual says "clean barrel every 300 to 400 rounds...DIS-ASSEMBLE to clean every 1500 rounds..." !!!

I agree the dis-assembly on the C9 is not the best.

- w

CajunBass
December 10, 2005, 07:13 AM
Yea, but all you have to do it knock a pin out. That is not brain surgery. I have to do that all the time to break down my pump shotguns.

armoredman
December 10, 2005, 10:43 AM
I actually have considered one of those carbines....so disassembly is a PITA, eh?

MCgunner
December 10, 2005, 10:47 AM
Never cleaned mine yet, (and I bought it used) just a light oil coating to prevent rust.

Zinc alloy rusts?

iamkris
December 10, 2005, 12:05 PM
Hi-Point Owners (I know you are out there) How often do you clean?

I never knew Hi-Point owners took showers...

wingman
December 10, 2005, 12:36 PM
40 cal carbine, using FP10 as a lube, clean after shooting with an air compressor, run cloth through barrel with FP10, lube and put away until next
time, no failures. Accurate, fun, cheap, ugly, what more could I ask for.:D

hotpig
December 10, 2005, 12:46 PM
These are not frilly little guns. If you want a gun that has to be cleaned often you need to spend a lot more money on other brands.

jerkface11
December 10, 2005, 01:48 PM
This reminds me i haven't cleaned my hipoint 9mm carbine yet.

Tag
December 10, 2005, 05:54 PM
I don't own a High Point, but if I did I probably wouldn't clean it out of spite...

Woody_in_MN
December 10, 2005, 06:23 PM
A side note:

I shot 2 boxes of rounds thru my new JCP 40sw. No jams or mis-feeds. I have about 200 rounds thru the carbine - no jams or mis-feeds. I get occaisional misfeeds with the C9. I think its the magazine. I'm replacing that.

- w

Crosshair
December 10, 2005, 08:35 PM
MCgunner

Zinc alloy rusts?

The barrel cover as well as the reciever cover do, though the actual guts of the rifle do not.

Javelin Man
December 10, 2005, 09:56 PM
Ditto on just swabbing the barrel and hitting the breech area with a patch. A dab of oil on the slide where I can reach it and back in the safe it goes.

BTW, I do shower. The new moon is coming so it's about time.

Gonzoinc
December 11, 2005, 09:10 PM
Never

Although I haven't shot it in a couple of years.
It was my first handgun purchase.
Have bought several others (1911's, wheelguns, etc)
Would you drive a Yugo when you have a garage full of 'vetts?:D

idahoberetta9000s
December 13, 2005, 01:22 AM
I do not own a Hi Point, but your handgun, whatever it is, can never be too clean.

hboy35
December 14, 2005, 02:35 PM
"A dab of oil on the slide where I can reach it and back in the safe it goes."

In the safe it goes--same as my HiPoint 9mm carbine. I sure dont want my most reliable weapon to get stolen. It rests next to the other fine firearms.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi-Point Owners (I know you are out there) How often do you clean?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!