Is CCW in Maryland still possible?

PDA

RM
December 10, 2005, 12:07 AM
What is the chance of passage of CCW in Maryland this year? Are the odds any better or worse than last year?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is CCW in Maryland still possible?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Norton
December 10, 2005, 07:45 AM
PM sent.....

Helmetcase
December 10, 2005, 01:39 PM
I for one am hoping to organize a lot of people to help us lobby for CCW reform in MD. Spot77 and others met last Thursday at Arundel Mills to discuss strategies, I was unable to attend. Hopefully he can comment.

Next Tues we're having a meeting with the Montgomery Citizens for a Safer Maryland. I posted the directions on my weblog, which I encourage you to check out. www.progunprogressive.com. It's about reforming CCW laws in general, but is Maryland specific.

Winning in MD is crucial to preserving gun rights elsewhere, in my not so humble opinion. :)

Norton
December 10, 2005, 01:49 PM
The Arundel Mills thing was just a social get together....but as can be expected the conversation will always venture into the state of affairs.

The general gist of things for this year is to expect no direct push for CCW but to likewise expect no anti laws to be pitched either.

Simply put, it's an election year and neither side wants the baggage associated with big gun bills.

Ceasefire MD is in turmoil with Leah gone, Neil Quinter is facing opposition in District 13 (Rick Bowers is the guy's name....seems like a good candidate) and with the increasing activism of MD shooters we could make it very tough for elected officials running for re-election who are on record as anti gun.

Let's start laying the groundwork for moving towards CCW.....incrementalism worked pretty well in stripping us of our rights and it will be necessary to reclaim them.

K-Romulus
December 10, 2005, 02:48 PM
I predict we see at least :what: three bills this year on the anti-gun-owner front:

1) A bill to "fix" the "integrated mechanical safety device" law by banning the Bursalock/Interlock-types of chamber locks, so that only the Taurus/S&W/HK-type frame locks are legal. There was much whining from the Cease-Ownership crowd this past summer because the Handgun Roster Board approved the Intralock-type locks as being "built into the firearm" when used.

2) Another "Assault Weapons" bill. This is a no-brainer because both Duncan and O'Malley pushed hard for this over the past few years. Now is their chance to "take a stand against crime":rolleyes: and try to get Ehrlich on the spot. This is their default "wedge issue."

3) The following bill:

http://www.gazette.net/stories/120905/polia%20s191332_31899.shtml

Garagiola bill would set firearm penalties
Friday, Dec. 9, 2005

Commit a crime with certain types of firearms, and judges must impose mandatory five-year sentences. Commit crimes with other kinds of firearms, and judges have discretion on prison terms.

Sen. Robert J. Garagiola has proposed setting mandatory minimum penalties for convictions in crimes committed with any kind of firearm as a disincentive to using firearms in crimes.

‘‘I don’t know why there’s a disparity,” said Garagiola (D-Dist. 15) of Germantown. ‘‘Why can someone use an AK-47 or a shotgun and not have mandatory minimum sentence?”

James M. Purtilo, editor of the gun rights newsletter The Tripwire, said the state last enhanced penalties for crimes committed with firearms in 1996. Criminals have not yet served the time from those sentence enhancements, he said.

‘‘There’s no public policy need,” Purtilo said.

And there is no evidence that judges are imposing light sentences to defendants who commit crimes with long guns, he said.

‘‘It’s really a feel-good proposal.”

Under current law, a criminal who uses a handgun or an assault pistol in the commission of a crime of violence or felony, that person faces a mandatory minimum penalty of five years in jail.

Garagiola’s bill would require mandatory minimum penalties when using any firearm.

‘‘What I’m all about is promoting public safety,” Garagiola said. ‘‘There shouldn’t be any difference based on the type of weapon used.”

If we only get these three bills, that would be a "success" for MD firearms owners . . . .:uhoh:

Norton
December 10, 2005, 04:18 PM
First two can easily be beaten back if we follow the same tactics as the last two years.....show up en masse at the hearings, write letters to the editor, call and write delegates and senators.

The JPR has not changed composition since last year. The AWB and the integral lock law are easily exposed for the feel good silliness that they are.

#3 is a tough call and requires someone more involved in MD politics than I to elucidate. Every year that we go to Annapolis, we bleat about "pass laws that strengthen penalties against criminals" instead of passing laws that only punish law-abiding gun owners. Isn't that what this does?

I thought that we saw that same bill last year but for the life of me can't remember what happend to it (beyond the obvious fact that it didn't pass).

Thanks for posting the article.....nothing like seeing a story about Lil' Rob (why don't you gun owners trust me?) Garagiola to make my day :barf:

K-Romulus
December 10, 2005, 05:16 PM
Last session Garagiola proposed an "Assault Weapons penalty enhancement act" that lumped "copycat assault weapons" in with the handgun penalty enhancement. The "issue" back then was that the bill would distinguish so-called "Assault Weapons" from regular firearms, and make their use "more badder" under the law.

I wrote emails criticizing that bill because it left out all the other firearms. Robbery with a firearm is still dangerous for the victim no matter what kind of firearm is used. If Garagiola's purpose was to punish criminals using firearms, why was he leaving 96% of them out of his bill?

I guess I really shouldn't have a problem with #3, but any gun bill let loose on the MD legislative floors scares me with what it could become.:what: :eek:

Norton
December 10, 2005, 06:49 PM
I guess I really shouldn't have a problem with #3, but any gun bill let loose on the MD legislative floors scares me with what it could become.:what: :eek:

Exactly....who knows what it could be Christmas tree-ed into.

Besides, I don't think we need to accept anything being crammed down our faces that we don't want. I know I'm being naive, but with the results and showing we've made for the last two years I think that we can make legitimate change for the better here as long as the national scene doesn't collapse around us.

Thanks for the refresher on last year's bill....they say the memory is the second thing to go :p

If you enjoyed reading about "Is CCW in Maryland still possible?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!