Brit Royal Marine snipers are making some pretty good shots...

PDA

Drizzt
April 5, 2003, 02:35 AM
Matt's shot in a million
From NICK PARKER
in Southern Iraq

A ROYAL Marines sniper told yesterday how he felled an Iraqi gunman in a strong wind from more than half a mile with an astonishing shot in a million.

Crackshot Corporal Matt Hughes, 28, was ordered to take out the Iraqi, who was firing at his pals and holding up an attack.

Matt pulled off the incredible feat of marksmanship by perfectly gauging the wind speed to bend the bullet to its target.

And amazingly a second sniper alongside him hit a second Iraqi at the same moment with another wonder shot.

The 7.62 calibre round from Matt’s L96 sniper rifle was aimed 56ft to the left to allow for the wind, and 35ft high to allow for the distance.

Yet it flew straight to the target, hitting the Iraqi in the chest. He probably died instantly.

Matt, of the Marines’ spearhead brigade patrol troop in Al Faw, said yesterday: “It was a bit like David Beckham taking a free kick.

“I knew I only had one shot and had to get the angle exactly right.”

Matt, from Betws-y-Coed, Wales, and pal Corporal Sam Hughes, 31, of Plymouth, Devon, calculated the bullet’s trajectory by studying movement of dust across the desert.

Matt said: “Sam told me I would have to fire exactly 17 metres to the left of the target for the bullet to bend in the wind and take him out.

“I made adjustments to my sight. The Iraqi stayed in the crosshairs of my sight the whole time and didn’t move. I knew I’d hit him full in the chest and got him.”

Another Marine sniper next to Matt felled the second Iraqi.

Taking out the two Iraqis who had been shooting at Marines meant the Brits could advance to help secure the peninsula.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003152436,00.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Brit Royal Marine snipers are making some pretty good shots..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Azrael256
April 5, 2003, 03:30 AM
Heheheh, good shootin', boys.

WonderNine
April 5, 2003, 03:55 AM
Good editorial. I wonder if it's true :rolleyes:

So two Iraqi's in windows with Dragonov's or whatever from over a half mile away were stopping British Royal Marines from taking a peninsula...ok....

Dannyboy
April 5, 2003, 07:46 AM
Being a soccer player and Man United fan as soon as I read this: "Matt pulled off the incredible feat of marksmanship by perfectly gauging the wind speed to bend the bullet to its target.", I thought this: “It was a bit like David Beckham taking a free kick." I hope it is true. It makes a damn good story either way, though.

4v50 Gary
April 5, 2003, 11:54 AM
Good show! Jolly good work. Carry on! (Tea time, brew up).

jimbo
April 5, 2003, 05:04 PM
Wow! I could never learn to do this. I would need 6 rounds to site in.

These soldier's are really special. It is nice to see the word "sniper" being used correctly again, rather toward those two Islamic mass-murderers who caused all the panic in Maryland & Virginia.

Bainx
April 5, 2003, 05:45 PM
Heck, if I was being taxed at 90%, I would make every shot count too!:D

mons meg
April 5, 2003, 06:46 PM
Carrying on in the finest of Welsh traditions since the battle of Agincourt. Is the L96 available with Yew furniture? ;)

Thundercleese
April 5, 2003, 10:13 PM
I've done that. Only my barrel was bent. And I was using .22 short rifle. And there was a lunar eclipse.

Watchman
April 5, 2003, 10:44 PM
Thats a heck of a correction.

How far was it ? What was the windspeed ?

A 56 foot correction.

35 foot holdover. Im guessing around 1500 yards.

That is a HECK of a shot ~:eek:

ahadams
April 5, 2003, 11:08 PM
maybe it's just the American in me, but isn't that what they make Browning M2HB .50 cals for? a ten round burst across the area of the window and *poof* no more problem...or did I miss something?:confused:

atek3
April 5, 2003, 11:41 PM
hah, mons that is pretty funny.
I read some book in AP euro when I was in high school about 'battles that changed history' and one was about agincourt, which signified 'a remarkable societal change, a victory for individual liberty in which skilled yeoman utterly destroyed the noblities knights.'

atek3

ahadams
April 5, 2003, 11:50 PM
actually there is a bit of a parallel between agincourt and Iraq in that a group of elite (not to say inbred) locals used to having their own way are getting their rear ends handed to them by the out of town team who don't seem too impressed by said local elites...

or am I over simplifying here?

p.s. meg does have a good point - is yew available as a replacement for any firearm's wood components? The pun capacity of having such stuff installed on even one firearm would be worth the cost, at least to me! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Brit Royal Marine snipers are making some pretty good shots..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!