Done with guns

PDA

beckrodgers
April 5, 2003, 10:57 AM
Memphis is having their program today bring a gun and get tickets to events around the town,rant rant,I need mine to git around town etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Done with guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Spackler
April 5, 2003, 11:08 AM
Huh?

beckrodgers
April 5, 2003, 11:12 AM
Its a gun buy back thing w a lot of local politicians tying it to the MLK ***. date. Bring a gun git 7 tickets to 7 dif events . Thanks

TheFrontRange
April 5, 2003, 11:12 AM
Are you talking about a gun buy-back kind of thing the city's putting on, but they're handing out "event tickets" instead of cash?

EDITED TO ADD: Whoops, sorry, you and I must have been posting at the same time! :)

Spackler
April 5, 2003, 11:22 AM
Ah. I see.

I never understood the reasoning behind the "buy-back" thing. Just a "feel good" measure that has no impact on crime.

Airwolf
April 5, 2003, 11:27 AM
Not to mention that you can't "buy back" what you never owned in the first place.

More blissninny bull:cuss:

Grayfox
April 5, 2003, 11:31 AM
This is the third attempt Memphis has made a gun trade-in schemes. The first was about ten years ago. They offered $75 worth of grocery and gas coupons for each gun turned in. I bought a POS RG.22 from a co-worker for $10 and traded it in for a $65 profit. :D
They had a pretty good turn out for that one. A couple of hundred people showed up to participate. Several of us showed up with extra money prepared to pay $75 cash for any gun worth having. Guess what, we didn't buy a thing! Seems my RG was the cream of the crop. The people who came were simply taking advantage of the deal to rid themselves of junk, damaged or otherwise unusable firearms. Not one single gun turned in was worth the $75 value recieved. :p

A couple of years later, they tried it again. I forget what they offered, but it wasn't worth much. They made a serious scheduling error by having it at the Fairgrounds on the same weekend that a Gun Show was in another building directly across the parking lot from them. The Gun Show reported having 5000 visitors. The gun grab brought in a total of 24 guns and again they were nothing but junk. :o

I guess enough time has passed now that they have forgotten their embarresment and want to try once more. No doubt there will be a story on the evening news touting their sucess. But, I'll bet dollars to donuts that all they will get is unusable junk people just need to get rid of. :rolleyes:

Like beckrodgers said, people need their good guns just to get around safely in this cesspool called Memphis. :mad:

beckrodgers
April 5, 2003, 11:33 AM
Sorry about the confusion, The part about needing mine to get around town is I dont believe [not feel] we are safe out there in just about any part of the metro area. Thanks

Kentucky Rifle
April 5, 2003, 12:47 PM
..in the South???
Why, I'm sure it will be the spectacular
failure it deserve's to be!

KR

beckrodgers
April 5, 2003, 01:07 PM
Amen Kentuck.

Russ
April 5, 2003, 06:12 PM
I have a real POS Jennings .22 that is not functional. I could make $10 over what it cost me 15 years ago. However, I think it would be more fun to smash it with a sledge hammer and make a sculpture out of it!

Mike Irwin
April 5, 2003, 06:29 PM
I firmly believe that people who live in areas such as these should keep a supply of the old complete junk guns, the old top break revolvers, such as US Revolver company, that were no great shakes to begin with and were made in such huge numbers as to never have collector value, to take to events such as these.

A friend of mine in the Philadelphia area took 3 "suicide specials" (2 didn't even work) to a Philadelphia buy back some years ago when they were giving some obscene amount of money.

They were also offering free drug & alcohol counseling at the same time.

When asked what he planned on doing with the money he told them he was going to use it for a downpayment on a Sig or Beretta.

Apparently the look on the faces of the people doing the buyback was pretty special. :)

Unfortunately, many places are no longer doing the cash buy backs, or require that the firearms be in working order.

ShaiVong
April 5, 2003, 07:24 PM
When asked what he planned on doing with the money he told them he was going to use it for a downpayment on a Sig or Beretta.
:evil:

haw haw haw haw haw!

I'm suprised they didnt try and slip a 'for the children' in there!

4v50 Gary
April 5, 2003, 07:38 PM
Attn: twoblink. Git your buddy over there and git some tickets. Me, I'd rather have some coupons for chow at Carolina Grill, Gramma Bee (Appomattox Court House) or Judy's Castle (Bowling Green, KY). Hey, no hassle at the Castle.

3 gun
April 5, 2003, 11:48 PM
I have an old RG that I'm waiting to turn in. I think it would work but I'm afraid to load it! I hope they aren't giving out Cavs tickets, I'd hate to get took like that. :D

beckrodgers
April 6, 2003, 11:59 AM
Hey folks, I heard on the local news 10pm , 15 guns were turned in and the anchor woman looked real embarassed having to report it . Any way that was all I heard. Thanks

.45TCB
April 6, 2003, 12:42 PM
Here's the story from Memphis paper: We're done with guns, 15 decide (http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/local_news/article/0,1426,MCA_437_1867699,00.html)
"Every day, 10 young people are killed by handguns," said Michael Beard of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. People buy them to protect themselves, but instruments of death do not provide safety and security."
Glad to see they had such knowledgeable people on hand to help. :rolleyes: I wonder if they invited someone from the NRA or TFA to talk about firearm safety? Probably not - After all, guns are bad, dontchaknow.

BOBE
April 6, 2003, 04:09 PM
Am I missing something? How do these people get around Fed. laws? Do they not need an FFL to do what they are doing? If so, it seems like someone there should be speaking up about it. :confused:

MitchSchaft
April 6, 2003, 04:30 PM
Am I missing something?

It's a private transfer, they're not breaking the law.

And I just realised that I have a non-functioning old Llama .380 that I could've turned in! :neener:

BOBE
April 6, 2003, 04:39 PM
MitchSchaft,
Thanks for clearing that up.
Bobe

ShaiVong
April 6, 2003, 09:58 PM
Irvy Whitaker, 21, said the forum gave him an awareness of the potential dangers of weapon accessibility.

"I learned why carrying a gun is not good for you," said Whitaker. "I'd always heard it, but I never really understood it."

I wonder how 'Carrying a gun is not good for you' jives with the FBI statistics which say (cant remember exactly) ~90% of attackers flee when their intended victim produces a firearm? He must be talking about those damn irradiated pistols.

Hawkman
April 7, 2003, 10:13 AM
I still enjoy remembering the one "buy-back" I participated in. I took and old, worthless Damascus twist shotgun down to get $50 for it. Standing in line, the guy behind me was fidgeting like crazy, muttering about needing to get back to the office. I offered him $25 for the rusted, non-functional .22 revolver he was turning in, and he took it. The guy in front of me heard me and offered to take $25 for his Lorcin. I bought it. Then a guy traded a POS Jennings to me for my shotgun, which he thought would look good over his mantel. I left netting $100 which I used to help buy my first Glock 36.

I had a lot of fun!:neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Done with guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!