No guns allowed in cars at airport?

PDA

Jeeper
April 5, 2003, 03:22 PM
I saw that the airports are now checking cars before they get to the terminals randomly for "terrorist items" and such. The TV people said that this means no weapons going to the airport. My question is what if you are just picking someone up and have a CCW? Does anyone have any info on this? The checks are before ever reaching the terminals.

If you enjoyed reading about "No guns allowed in cars at airport?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jesse H
April 5, 2003, 04:15 PM
I haven't been to the airport since the most recent super duper homeland false sense of security deal...

but in the past I just keep the gun on myself. As long as I'm not entering a restricted, metal detector required to pass, area, I'm in the clear.

Sounds like this hightened security is only going to be applied to IAH, so I'm telling all my friends to fly into Hobby Airport instead.

paul
April 5, 2003, 04:27 PM
I picked up my boy @ Hobby a while ago...
I usually just do the circle route waiting for him to show, but this time I went to park in the short-term garage just outside the terminal. The local law enforcement, backed by customs officers, asked me to open the trunk. They glanced inside and allowed me to enter the garage.
The interesting thing is that I visit the local range often and keep many items of interest inside my trunk including ammo cans, lots of loose brass and rounds, etc.
They didn't bat an eye...
Interesting...
paul

Landfeldmesser
April 5, 2003, 05:00 PM
Are they just searching your car or are you required to get out and be frisked? If you have a carry permit, and have not violated a law, can they really say anything if you stay out of the airport?

P95Carry
April 5, 2003, 05:10 PM
I have been wondering about this. I last flew outa DC a few weeks back ...... and on drive down I ceased my CCW after leaving the state .. storing relevant items in and around the truck ...... on way home reversed the process.

This meant of course that for several days the truck was parked up containing the piece (frame and slide kept seperate I might add).

If the parked vehicle not permitted to hold a piece then in effect, the entire journey has to be ''carry-free'' :( Anyone got any useful links that would expand on this ... and how many airports may be affected?

Jeeper
April 5, 2003, 06:06 PM
The thing is that at IAH they are listing where they are doing the searches and it is on public roads before the airport. I would ate to get busted for this some time.

Archer
April 6, 2003, 12:22 PM
Jeeper, you ought to know better than to take "the tv people" seriously.

In my personal experience in the past few months (LAX, SLC, IAH, JFK, PHX among others) all of the "searches" are simply cursory glances to be sure there isn't 500# of Semtex in your trunk.

They appear to just be making sure no one's bringing a car bomb to send themselves on the MCRTA*.

*(Magic Carpet Ride to Allah)

Hkmp5sd
April 6, 2003, 12:25 PM
In Florida, you can carry your CCW all the way up to the security checkpoints for passenger searches and there are no restrictions on leaving firearms in the vehicles.

Coronach
April 6, 2003, 12:29 PM
all of the "searches" are simply cursory glances to be sure there isn't 500# of Semtex in your trunk.Ding ding ding!

Mike

El Rojo
April 6, 2003, 12:49 PM
Took the wife to LAX and went and picked her up in mid-February. I had my Glock 27 on me the whole time. They said vehicles might be randomly searched, but I wasn't worried about it. As long as I didn't try to get into any "secure areas", I wasn't breaking the law. Again, the best rule to apply, if there are metal detecotrs, don't carry there. If there aren't, carry away. It isn't federal property as long as you stay out of the "secure areas".

Selfdfenz
April 6, 2003, 11:36 PM
Since you can legally carry a firearm(s) in checked baggage on some carriers if the guns(s) and ammo are separated and in the correct containers why would they go after you?

If you are just there to pick up or drop off somebody and have a CHL, and a "unit" on you or in the car, why would there be a problem?

I would be very interested to hear any reliable story that someone was arrested or had their carry gun taken at IAH or any airport if they were stopped by a patrolman and/or were not in or trying to get into a security area.

As always....in Texas....I would have a chat with your CHL instructor (perhaps several) and also post the question to DPS CHL section.
S-

If you enjoyed reading about "No guns allowed in cars at airport?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!