Million Dollar Arsenal Found in Indiana (during house fire)

PDA

Black92LX
December 12, 2005, 11:31 PM
Just saw on the news that a fire department found a million dollar arsenal in a home in Indiana during a house fire.
I have yet to locate a written article on it because it was breaking new.
Wasn't much info as of yet, but they say the owner of the house was a convicted felon.

http://www.fox19.com/ is the site for the news station I was watching they might have an article write up later. I have yet to find one up so far.

If you enjoyed reading about "Million Dollar Arsenal Found in Indiana (during house fire)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Headless Thompson Gunner
December 12, 2005, 11:32 PM
Man, I wish I had a million dollar arsenal. That'd be cool... :(

GunnySkox
December 12, 2005, 11:35 PM
I just wish I had a million dollars.

Think of all the SKSes and SU-16s I could buy!

:D

I hope the people living on the burn(ing/ed) property (and that "arsenal") survived unscathed.
~GnSx

jsalcedo
December 12, 2005, 11:57 PM
The guy said it all belonged to his wife.

I saw them taking the guns out of the house on the news.

It looked like a really nice collection.

Ironbarr
December 12, 2005, 11:57 PM
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/5521102/detail.html

redneck2
December 13, 2005, 06:13 AM
And just think...they'll all be melted down. Next Chevy you drive may be made from a million dollars worth of guns

dfaugh
December 13, 2005, 07:11 AM
"He kept them in a house that was unsecured with no alarm. The doors (were) not locked," Burton said. "No one is living or residing at this residence, even though he owns the residence.

"Anyone could have waltzed in there at any time."

SURE, NOW you tell me!:what:

CB900F
December 13, 2005, 07:32 AM
Fella's;

And who's to say that the guns didn't belong to his wife? What crime was committed if that's so?

True, the situation raises the hackles, but so far it's all innuendo & supposition.

900F

jtward01
December 13, 2005, 07:35 AM
And just think...they'll all be melted down. Next Chevy you drive may be made from a million dollars worth of guns

Melted my ass. Whatever the top brass doesn't want for their own collections will be auctioned off. No way the feds are going to melt down a million dollars.

Did you see the stuff the guy had? Geez! A dozen P-38s, maybe that many Luger P-08s, an armload of Garands and M1As and I couldn't count the number of Colt SAAs and blackpowder revolvers.

The sheriff says he's glad to get these guns "off the streets." Right, like the guy was using them to stick up convenience stores or something.

The guy was pretty stupid, though, to keep that kind of collection in a house with no security at all. And to put hot ashes into a cardboard box requires a certain lack of sense, too.

22-rimfire
December 13, 2005, 07:58 AM
These guns weren't on the street. What a bunch of crap! I know and a brick or two of 22 ammo is preparing for a war. Must be an evil person to have so much ammunition on hand.

The full auto's bother me somewhat. When were they obtained? Were they legal guns? Did they preceed the felony conviction? Why would the ATF allow a felon to own full auto guns.... they keep very good records of such things. What type of felony conviction was it? DUI? More information is needed after the media hype. Sounds like he just liked guns or his wife or children did. Not illegal for the wife to own the firearms.

My general feeling is if you pay your price to society for a crime, you should have full rights re-instated following the prison time.

ChevellRCR
December 13, 2005, 08:22 AM
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/5521102/detail.html

In that link, it is stated that he had machineguns. I wonder if they were registered?

m39fan
December 13, 2005, 08:40 AM
SO, are we chartering a bus to go to this auction??? :D :D :D I'm sorry for his loss but those "orphans" need good families to give them the love and care they need!

Obviously, the story stinks. If they WERE his wife's, I'd think she'd be screaming to get back a million dollars worth of property. Most likely he had them prior to being sentenced as a felon and this was his answer to spot checks by the parole officers. In any event, I still think a chartered bus would be the way to go... <DROOL> ;) ;) :D

HankB
December 13, 2005, 08:41 AM
The guy said it all belonged to his wife.The news reported that the guy was a convicted felon, so it's no wonder he claims they belonged to his wife. (I understand that G. Gordon Liddy's wife has a nice gun collection, too.)

If there were truly some unregistered machineguns, I wonder if the wife will confirm the guy's assertion that they were hers?

ChevellRCR
December 13, 2005, 08:48 AM
If there were truly some unregistered machineguns, I wonder if the wife will confirm the guy's assertion that they were hers?

That is what I was thinking.

22-rimfire
December 13, 2005, 08:48 AM
On full autos, the record check is pretty simple for the ATF on registered firearms. He would have had to "sell" them to his wife and have them re-registered in her name for the full autos. If not registered... prison time at the Federal Pen.

I would not be surprised that there were no full auto firearms. They are probably just para-military semi's. Can't trust the media on stuff like this.

jason10mm
December 13, 2005, 08:49 AM
Come on guys, are you REALLY buying all of the statements appearing in the MEDIA? You know those guys couldn't get it right even if we wrote it for them. I'll beleive there are full-auto weapons and 1,000,000 dollars of inventory when I see a detailed list posted by a gun surveyor, not some cop or reporter.

Black92LX
December 13, 2005, 08:51 AM
SO, are we chartering a bus to go to this auction??? :D :D :D I'm sorry for his loss but those "orphans" need good families to give them the love and care they need!

Obviously, the story stinks. If they WERE his wife's, I'd think she'd be screaming to get back a million dollars worth of property. Most likely he had them prior to being sentenced as a felon and this was his answer to spot checks by the parole officers. In any event, I still think a chartered bus would be the way to go... <DROOL> ;) ;) :D

Save me a seat!

hammer4nc
December 13, 2005, 09:03 AM
$1million divided by 200 guns = $5000 per gun.

I see this image of the "arsenal" of pistols:http://images.ibsys.com/2005/1213/5521198_200X150.jpg

Not being an experton what looks like lugers, I don't see anything approaching that value in this photo...though I'd submit to being corrected. If these 12 pistols don't average $5k per pistol, then the remaining guns we don't see must be valued more than $5k each.

So, are we now starting to see gun confiscations being valued similar to the way cops estimate the value of illegal drugs? I.e., a 10-foot pot plant being weighed (root ball and all), then being valued at the per-joint price on the street? Ooooh, looks good on the performance review, eh?

CoachVince
December 13, 2005, 09:07 AM
The article states he was "very negligent in how he kept the guns."

"He kept them in a house that was unsecured with no alarm. The doors (were) not locked," Burton said. "No one is living or residing at this residence, even though he owns the residence."

While that was negligent, think about how it would have probably been portrayed otherwise;
"This house was like a fortress; he had steel doors in steel frames, a high-tech security system with cameras everywhere. Inside, it was practically an armory. He had huge vault-like safes, filled with guns. It seems like people were always going in and out of the house. Oh, and many of the guns were deadly assault type weapons."

As the newsies say, theres a slant to every story, if you look for it. I'm very curious to hear if anyone lives nearby and gets more info from reliable sources.

entropy
December 13, 2005, 09:09 AM
Not being an experton what looks like lugers,

That you aren't-those are P_38's. ;) I think I'd have sold a few of them privately and built a real arms room (strong room) to house the rest....:rolleyes:

Manedwolf
December 13, 2005, 09:21 AM
Melted my ass. Whatever the top brass doesn't want for their own collections will be auctioned off. No way the feds are going to melt down a million dollars.

Did you see the stuff the guy had? Geez! A dozen P-38s, maybe that many Luger P-08s, an armload of Garands and M1As and I couldn't count the number of Colt SAAs and blackpowder revolvers.

The sheriff says he's glad to get these guns "off the streets." Right, like the guy was using them to stick up convenience stores or something.

The guy was pretty stupid, though, to keep that kind of collection in a house with no security at all. And to put hot ashes into a cardboard box requires a certain lack of sense, too.

I have yet to see someone try to hold up a convenience store with a Garand... :scrutiny:

hammer4nc
December 13, 2005, 09:38 AM
thanks for the correction,entropy:p

Quick search on gunbroker shows p38's going for $259 (with holster), some with nazi markings $600 to $1000+ (asking not actually sold). These samples must have been Hitler's personal owned weapons w/ documntation?:what:

kfranz
December 13, 2005, 09:59 AM
On full autos, the record check is pretty simple for the ATF on registered firearms. He would have had to "sell" them to his wife and have them re-registered in her name for the full autos. If not registered... prison time at the Federal Pen.

Yeah, everyone knows the registry is complete and error free...:rolleyes:

ctdonath
December 13, 2005, 10:39 AM
the record check is pretty simple for the ATF on registered firearms.Problem is, the BATFE just went on court record in a recent case that the NFA registry is grossly inaccurate.

Actually, handled right, this "arsenal" could cause the ATF to hold another amnesty. If it contains MGs that are not registered, the ATF can't prove that it's not the ATF's fault.

Justin
December 13, 2005, 11:03 AM
Million dollars worth of guns my eye.

hotpig
December 13, 2005, 11:46 AM
Keep in mind that the media would consider a 88.00 SKS a machine gun.

scout26
December 13, 2005, 12:53 PM
The sheriff says he's glad to get these guns "off the streets."

Hmmmm, they weren't "on the streets", they were in this guy's (actually his wife's) "arsenal".

Not a very secure arsenal, but a somewhat clever way of maybe "Hiding in plain sight."

SShooterZ
December 13, 2005, 01:07 PM
He's also a felon because he's a pervert, not because he's a violent criminal.

NOT excusing his sick ass behavior, but really, is he that big of a danger to own a gun?

Seems like another, "The Police saved America by taking more illegal guns off the street" story to me.

grnzbra
December 13, 2005, 01:23 PM
As far as his wife being the owner of the guns, wouldn't that be considered "constructive posession"?

BigG
December 13, 2005, 01:53 PM
Heck, that ain't nothin. You oughta see Tamara's wheelgun collection. That's at least a million by itself. :p

MechAg94
December 13, 2005, 02:03 PM
They said the guy has not been arrested and that they were trying to find out if they could sieze the guns. That tells me that they have not been able to easily show that his wife did not own the guns, and that they were actually in his possession.

It could be that he and his wife put the guns in this other location precisely so that they couldn't say he possessed them. Also, they said they searched his actual home and did not find any guns, only some parts and a safe or two.

This tells me that the cops don't have a case right now, but they are trying to find one very hard.

svtruth
December 13, 2005, 03:13 PM
200 goes into $1,000,000 5000 times.
Those must have been some nice guns.

Ironbarr
December 13, 2005, 05:15 PM
illegal guns I continue to have mental difficulties with this term. I prefer "illegal possession of ( ) firearm". How can a normally inert object be illegal? Humans make rules for humans. Would a car itself be considered illegal if the driver had no registration or DL?

Maybe my think machine is a bit misaligned or out of calibration... or both for that matter.

Please don't let my comment hijack this thread - not intended.

MC&HNY

-AndyB

Standing Wolf
December 13, 2005, 05:52 PM
Well, yeah, but it sure was an attention-grabbing headline, wasn't it?

f4t9r
December 13, 2005, 06:47 PM
I just wish I had a million dollars.

plus one here

QuickDraw
December 13, 2005, 08:10 PM
The sheriff says he's glad to get these guns "off the streets."
"And into my collection":evil:

QuickDraw

dance varmint
December 14, 2005, 01:37 PM
As far as his wife being the owner of the guns, wouldn't that be considered "constructive posession"?

Indeed, in the case of State of Indiana v. Bazooka Doe, the ISC ruled that "he is deemed to constructively possess firearms who has access to a secondary dwelling which has guns out the ass."

NineseveN
December 15, 2005, 12:11 PM
A mil's worth of guns? I ain't buying it.

Working Man
December 15, 2005, 12:50 PM
The news reported that the guy was a convicted felon, so it's no wonder he claims they belonged to his wife. (I understand that G. Gordon Liddy's wife has a nice gun collection, too.)

Indeed Mrs. Liddy does. :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Million Dollar Arsenal Found in Indiana (during house fire)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!