Don't shoot at cats..........................

PDA

2dogs
January 2, 2003, 12:34 PM
We had 3 cats, 2 dogs, all but one of them was a stray taken in.

About 2 years ago the oldest cat (one of the strays- we had her 10 yrs) developed cancer and after considerable treatment we had to have her put down. Before that she had never been sick before.

When we took her to the vet, we had to of course have xrays taken. We were quite surprised to see 2-3 dozen white spots on the xrays- and more surprised to find that they were BB's that the cat had been carrying in her from her time on the street, before we found her.

I'm sure it was kids who did that to her- seems damned cruel to me.:cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "Don't shoot at cats.........................." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4v50 Gary
January 2, 2003, 12:41 PM
It's one thing to kill a critter because it's suffering or because it's a varmint or pest (eating crops or disease carriers) or even for food (venison, yum yum), but to shoot a critter just to be mean is inhumane.

PATH
January 2, 2003, 12:46 PM
It is one sick piece of fecal matter that would shoot any animal without good cause.

Oleg Volk
January 2, 2003, 01:40 PM
A long time ago, someone posted "Best caliber for shooting cats" on ar15.com forum and was surprised to see over half responses being "You aim at my cat, I aim at you". Some folks consider their pets (http://www1.photosig.com/userphotos.php?portfolioId=1428) to be family and, as annoying as some of the pets may be, I remember that well.

Then again, some cats are more psychotic than even humans:
http://www.olegvolk.net/olegv/newsite/kitten/kitten.html
http://www.olegvolk.net/olegv/cat/cat.shtml

Triad
January 2, 2003, 01:45 PM
Not only do many people consider their pets to be family, for some they are the only family they have.

denfoote
January 2, 2003, 01:53 PM
"You aim at my cat, I aim at you".

What Oleg said!!!
You aim at my Bootsie, I aim at you!!!! With the 10mm!!!!!
Bet y'all didn't know I was a cat person!! :neener:

sasnofear
January 2, 2003, 01:57 PM
cats r usless anyway, all they do is s@*$ on your garden. I say, blow em away.

Oleg Volk
January 2, 2003, 02:01 PM
sasnofear,

You object to free fertilizer? ;)

How's the peace process going in your corner of civilized world?

bogie
January 2, 2003, 02:15 PM
The darn critters make me sneeze. Other than that, I like 'em.

2dogs
January 2, 2003, 02:18 PM
How's the peace process going in your corner of civilized world?

Whooooeeeeee boy- one thing I really liked about Band of Brothers DVD was the way you kept hearing the (on my TV) stereo sound of bullets whizzing by all the time. Aside from your line above, how would you write that sound on the computer?:D :neener:

Nice cat photos.

deputy tom
January 2, 2003, 02:25 PM
Most people don't realize just how serious the offence is for cruelty to animals or Sr. Citizens in My home state.I've got several GOOD Friends connected with the Penna. Humane Police and would hate to have to drop a dime on some *** cat shooter!tom.

Deuce
January 2, 2003, 02:26 PM
Over the years I've met more than one "tough-guy" telling me about the time he took a lawn mower to a cat buried up to its neck.

I don't know what makes anyone think that's fun or a good idea. I wouldn't have the slightest problem putting someone like that out of their misery ... at all!

Unfortunately, as of yet, self-control has gotten the better of me ... as of yet.:fire:

ball3006
January 2, 2003, 02:26 PM
We couldn't have kids. We have two teenage Siamese, had 3 until one had to be put down last August due to incurable medical condition. She was a small, for a cat but was 200 percent heart and went with me everywhere. I had her cremated and her ashes will be added to mine when I pass on. Same with one of the other two. The other one is my wife's. As for someone or something harming my kits, they will be DEAD DEAD DEAD. The question is not debatable. I will protect my family with my life. When I lived up north in the UP I shot at least 2 dozen dogs that were running loose and chasing deer and whatever. Any domestic animal running loose is a danger to humans and wildlife and must be delt with.....chris3

KRAUTGUNNER
January 2, 2003, 02:34 PM
Shooting other people's familiy pet cats guarantees to convert otherwise gun-neutral folks to rabid anti-gunners!

Ledbetter
January 2, 2003, 02:55 PM
Have scratched up and urinated on my personal property, including car covers, boats, peeing on the door, on the porch, fecal matter in the yard, etc. If your cat comes in my yard it will get a .177 pellet in the posterior. Maybe the vet bill will teach the owner something about neighborly courtesy.

Cat owners who think their cats should be able to go into other people's yards are inconsiderate beyond belief. We own two cats and keep them indoors or in the yard, supervised.

And those who would threaten to take a human life to avenge the killing of an animal should not own guns. They lack perspective, to say the least.

Keep your cat at home if you love it.

Skunkabilly
January 2, 2003, 03:00 PM
You guys are making me hungry.

Beren
January 2, 2003, 03:15 PM
Agreed. If your animal - cat, dog, or goldfish - steps foot onto my property, it's dangerously close to becoming that evening's stew. I'll be sure to pull on my body armor before the "people who kill animals deserve death themselves" crowd can come charging in with their Class III firearms. Emotionalistic drivel. THINK, don't FEEL, in matters of life and death!

That said, in all past circumstances, I've done my best to safely restrain the animal in question and hold him for the owner. Even helped chase down a horse once, and that was quite an adventure. And when my white lab tackled my niece, I was first over the fence to get her off. Fortunately for my lab, my niece wasn't harmed at all, just scared witless as my lab tried to lick her to death.

I love my animals, but as I've said elsewhere, an animal's life can in no way be compared to the value of even the lowliest human. That one "loves" an animal does not evelate its status. It's still a dog/cat/goldfish/parrot. No such beast is worth a human's life.

And yes, I know there are some states that allow you to shoot a fleeing chicken-thief in the back. :P

redneck2
January 2, 2003, 03:15 PM
comes thru again

CATS..the other white meat

For the cat lovers....yeah, I used to have my own cat, and we had lotsa cats back on the farm

BUT...suppose I feel the same way about the wild birds at my bird feeders and your cat is killing them???

Do like I did and keep your cat, dog, kids, and everything else out of my yard (unless invited) and we'll get along just fine. My yard isn't you cat's hunting ground, kid's playground, or place for your dog to crap.

BTW....cats kill far more animals every year than hunters. I'm not talking wild feral cats, I'm talking Tabby the housecat.

vulcan
January 2, 2003, 03:16 PM
Cats are my favorite people, Harming them is plain WRONG. Without my cats I wouldn't be able to wake in the morning. They sit on my face until I get up & feed them:D .Nice pics Oleg, I usually get a blur of a cat leaving the frame or a closeup of a paw on the lens:(

Beren
January 2, 2003, 03:38 PM
Cats are my favorite people, Harming them is plain WRONG.

Believe it or not, I fully agree with you. It /is/ wrong and if I witnessed someone willfully causing undue harm to a cat or any animal, I would report it. I would also use reasonable force to stop the person from harming the animal, unless the animal was his and on his property. If the animal belongs to the person harming it and the person is on their own land, all I can ethically do is report the transgression - to the police, to the press, and to the local Humane Society.

Southla1
January 2, 2003, 03:52 PM
I can understand both sides of this issue.

We have 2 cats here...........neither venture outside. EVER. I think they would catch a cat heart attack if forced outside :D. Guess they know that there is a bed, food, water, heat in the winter, A/C in the summer, no rain on their heads etc. in the house.

Cats that run at large be they wild or others pets are not welcome here PERIOD!

I had one that decided the carpet in my boat (parked under my carport) would make a dandy litter box. I have had cats smear mud all over new vehicles parked under my carport. I have had them make messes in my barn, even got into my workshop and urinated on my tools.

The ultimate was the one that managed to get into my old reloading shop and pee all over my press with a die in it!

These cats were and WILL BE eliminated if they damage my property. For those that love cats fine...............keep them in your home as we do. I went nose to nose with a deputy one time when I tried to do the right thing and have a stray cat picked up. He said they could not do it.................I said no problem if I catch it around here again I will call you to pick up the body.............he said something about coming after me then.................I said "it's not only cat bodies that can be laid on the ground here". He understood. Sorry fellows but that's the way it is, and it will be.

Stray cats do untold amounts of damage to local game animals also.............no not deer but to rabbits, squirrels, quail etc. So do stray dogs..................if we see em down here the last thing they see is the barrel of a firearm.

dinosaur
January 2, 2003, 03:53 PM
My neighbor`s cats roam at will. Not a big problem for me as a side benefit is they keep the mice population down.

However....... I pulled the body of a cat out from under my shed a few weeks ago. Its belly had been ripped open. Love your cat? Keep it at home.

firestar
January 2, 2003, 04:02 PM
People that harm other people's pets for no good reason should go to jail period!.

I don't personaly like cats but if someone harmed or killed my dog, it would take every bit of self control for me not to harm or kill that person.

Some people will go out of there way to kill an animal or a pet. I have seen people do this while driving, they will swerve to hit an animal. Why? When someone does this to a wild animal it is just perverse but if they do this to a pet, it should be punished!

Part of the whole problem is, some people don't take care of their pets and let them wander around other people's property, destroying things and angering others. That is why some cats and dogs get shot. My dog doesn't leave the yard without me. If someone came into my yard or shot into my yard to kill my dog, there would be two dead animals in my yard that day.

Pappy John
January 2, 2003, 04:09 PM
"love your cat? Keep it at home."

I agree. I like cats, sometimes, but they don't belong running loose. I like to see the squirrels, rabbits, and wild birds come to my feeders also and when your cat thinks my yard is a hunting ground the tables are gonna get turned quickly, and it'll become prey. My pets are under my control at all times.

bogie
January 2, 2003, 04:10 PM
Heh - I've got a friend who is older, and really likes watching her birdfeeder.

She doesn't like watching the neighborhood cats watch her birdfeeder (she doesn't mind squirrels - she figures that if they can get their dinner from the supposedly squirrel-proofed dealie, they can have it...).

She bought a paintball gun. I suspect that more than a few folks in the neighborhood have been wondering why their adorable widdle furballs wandered home wearing day-glo green spots.

12 Volt Man
January 2, 2003, 04:11 PM
I have an indoor cat, I would never think of letting it roam. I think the cats you see outdoors are either there because of poor owners or they are ferell (sp?) cats. I have not shot any, but I don't think it is bad to shoot a ferrel cat.
I have a buddy who owns a pheasant hunting club and he asks the hunters to shoot cats because they kill his birds.

Bottom line..........be a responsible cat owner and keep it inside.

January 2, 2003, 04:13 PM
anyone remember cat juggling by Steve Martin?

Redlg155
January 2, 2003, 04:15 PM
If you love your animals then keep them inside.

It is understandable that a pet may occasionaly escape the confines of a yard, but if the owner is negligent and lets the "pet" free to roam the neighborhood, they can expect harm to eventually come to the pet.

I'm talking about folks to let their cats and dogs out everynight to roam the neighborhood. You can bet folks who are that irresponsible will also refuse to pay for damages or clean up messes that their pets make. This leads to the property owners taking matters in their own hands. Who can blame them?

I will not shoot cats or dogs "just because", but I will put one down that becomes a threat to my family or destructive to my property.

Good Shooting
Red

AZTOY
January 2, 2003, 04:18 PM
love your cat? Keep it at home.

Gordon
January 2, 2003, 04:18 PM
How is anybodies cat gonna get shot on their property. If you complain about your cat getting shot on somebody ele's propertythen you should side with Mex. govt. and how they feel about militarized border. I don't believe in shooting any living thing without good reason, but I do believe in private property rights.:banghead:

Sisco
January 2, 2003, 04:23 PM
I mentioned before in the post about shooting dogs that my wife works for a vet.
Finding pellets & BB's in cats is pretty routine. Sometimes you don't even know they're there, other times the animal is badly infected from the wounds.
Our cats don't go outside.

Okiecruffler
January 2, 2003, 04:30 PM
It's one thing to put down an animal that is causing harm, quite another to kill just to be killing. A local high school FFA lost most of it's show lambs to roaming chows twice. In that case you kill the dogs because society says you can't kill the owner. Once while I was walking my pug I had a young white male with his pants almost to his knees confront me while holding his pitbull just out of reach of my dog. "My dog can eat yours in one bite." he informed me. I pulled up my shirt so he could see my revolver and quietly told him that his dog would never make it to my dog and then I was coming for him. After that, he decided to keep to his side of the street. Too many people out there with animals they take no responsibilty for.

Deuce
January 2, 2003, 04:37 PM
And those who would threaten to take a human life to avenge the killing of an animal should not own guns. They lack perspective, to say the least.

Who died and made you king?

I never said "anyone who values any human life over that of an animal lacks perspective".

You might consider phrasing your OPINIONS in a less offensive manner as to keep things civil.

Having said that, if I were to actually see anyone running over a cat with a lawn mower, they'd, at the very least, get the beating of a lifetime. Any harm to my cat, and they'd very likely die. You don't have to like it. Thems just the facts.

cordex
January 2, 2003, 05:07 PM
There's shooting pests, and then there's shooting pets. If'n either one becomes the other, I figure it's better to talk to the owner before you go and do something that can't be undone.

The only pet that I'd be willing to shoot right now is a little anklebiter (literally!) that has been running around biting kids on the backs of their legs. It's learned to stay close to home, but since it has demonstrated viciousness before by biting and injuring one person and going after a few others, I'd be willing to off it. A deputy who lives nearby has put out the word that if it attacks anyone again, they are expected to kill it and he doesn't want to have to be called down there to do it himself.

We've got an indoors cat.
My grandparents have a cat or two that they keep outside. And they have a few bird feeders. Believe it or not, the two aren't mutually exclusive. Keep the cats fed and they kill less birds (still get some periodically for the hunt, but not too many).
One of the cats they have is borderline feral. It runs wild half the time, has the beefy MouseKiller neck and will often avoid people. Every month or so it'll settle down and be the nicest little kitty you can imagine, until it decides to go off and see the world again. As much as I like him, I wouldn't fault someone for shooting him. The other cat doesn't go far from the house unless he's following you around (odd little guy ... acts like a dog sometimes). I would be a bit ticked if someone shot him.

And then there's Billy the dog. He breaks all the rules. He's an outdoor dog. He only comes in when people are shooting or when it's thundering- he hates the noise. But he doesn't give a flying squirrel dropping about property lines. While technically he belongs to my grandparents, he's more of a community dog. One time when he was a bit sick, some neighbors called to see if he was okay because he hadn't been coming around to see them. He gets along well with most other animals (cutest thing in the world to see a cat curled up on top of him in the winter).
Billy doesn't hurt anyone, indeed he's well liked by the area residents, but it sounds like there are a couple of people on the board who would love to off 'im if he stepped onto their property. They aren't just willing to shoot pests, they're looking to shoot anything that moves. There's something plain wrong with that. Just about as wrong as those who would blow someone away for killing their cats...

redneck2
January 2, 2003, 06:17 PM
good fences make good neighbors...make ya a deal...

I'll keep my stuff at my place

you keep your stuff at your place

everybody's happy

Ed Brunner
January 2, 2003, 06:31 PM
It has been a very long time since I really shot a cat. I have, however used the Daisy Red Ryder Feline Trainer. The difference is that I will not shoot at them up close or in the head. At about 40 or 50 feet it isn't lethal or dangerous. The cats aren't harmed, but they understand the message.
People who want me to respect their pets usually are responsible enough to keep them at home.
Red Ryder works nicely on dogs too.

Ledbetter
January 2, 2003, 07:50 PM
I stick by my words. Read them again if they don't make sense to you.

Think twice post once.

Kevlarman
January 2, 2003, 07:54 PM
While I don't erally care for cats, I still find it wrong to go out and shoot them "just because." It's a whole 'nother matter if the cat is roaming around at night trespassing on your property and killing the animals that reside there.

Owen
January 2, 2003, 07:58 PM
I have a bird feeder that I watch quite a bit. My next door neighbor feeds stray cats. At any given time there are 5 or six cats in her yard. They seem to like my yard too.

I've taken to keeping a bucket of tennis balls on my porch for discouragement reasons, so now the cats visit my feeder when im inside or away. I have personally seen some of these catrs kill 2 cardinals, a wood pecker, and a chickadee.

Shoot or no shoot?

Owen

Moondancer
January 2, 2003, 08:06 PM
I've had cats since I was a kid. I like my present cat (and most of them I've had, for that matter) better than an awful lot of people I've met.

My present cat is 11 years old, and has never run loose since I saved her from being swept into a storm sewer in front of the house. She is an inside cat, pure and simple. But I live in the city now.

I lived in the country for years. Closest neighbor was 1/4 mile from me. We all had cats. And never had problems with them.

My opinion is that the city / country thing is the deciding factor. City... keep your cat inside. Country... it's okay to let it roam.

In any event, the juvenile act of killing animals for fun (and when I was growing up it was to aim for anything in the roadway) is wrong and should be punished. Because you are destroying my property??? May be some argument there if my property is running loose, but regarless, these children have no reason or right to needlessly kill an animal. Again, I will emphasize the word needlessly.

If my cat (dog / hamster / snake / whatever) is running loose and not causing ANY problem, then don't hurt it. If it is causing problems, talk to me about it. If I don't take care of it after that, then... take care of the problem in the best manner. That could be calling the humane society, the animal control officer, or using a bullet, depending on the situation. But give me a chance to fix the problem first. And yes, when I lived in the country I knew my neighbors' animals and they knew mine.

AZTOY
January 2, 2003, 08:06 PM
owenShoot or no shoot?

First try animal control .

But if that doesn't work try Agula .22 SSS.:evil:

cordex
January 2, 2003, 08:09 PM
Shoot or no shoot?
Try the Garden Hose of Cold, Wet Death. Use +P+ water if possible.

If they're begining to overpopulate, it might be wise to snipe a few of them.

Gordon
January 2, 2003, 08:13 PM
I always temper justice with mercey and of course I'd tell neighbor about dog or cat before going varminting. The neighbors I have do the same thing except for a middle easterner who lives 1/4 mile away and my big dumb Godfrey was visiting his bitch in heat little something and he threatened to sue me. I was nice of course and invited him over for a pig roast I was gonna have (in his honor). Property lines Are property lines and people should do what they can to respect them, anybody else is a slob IMHO.:D

benewton
January 2, 2003, 08:24 PM
Cats, outdoor/indoor types, are essentially people, and they simply do not obey the laws of dogs.

We currently live far enough from out neighbors that our cats aren't likely to get over there, especially since, unbroken, they were fixed anyway. Too, mice control is always a good idea, your cat or mine!

And we also have a community dog: not a worry, since our elderly next door neighbor, and his wife, borrow him for walks. He goes over once a day to make sure that they're OK, and to get his hot dog roll, which is brought home to eat in front of the "home dog", who never leaves home without one of us.

Yes, I've lost cats via the "he went out and never came back" method, and it'll happen to me too, one of these days. That's the price you pay for having friends, rather than slaves.

For the guy with the lawnmower, .22 to the spine just above the shoulders, parallel to the shoulders, followed by the best first aid I could give: I wish him a long, contemplative life.

For those of you who feel for the birds, Darwin actually works: the cats aren't getting the smart and well.

For the rest, I ponder just how much is extorted from me to educate your children...

seeker_two
January 2, 2003, 09:03 PM
It has been a very long time since I really shot a cat. I have, however used the Daisy Red Ryder Feline Trainer.

I have one of those by the back door (the dual Feline/Canine version) for uninvited interlopers. One BB in the bobo is usually enough to convince them to high-tail it (literally) from the premises w/o causing them any harm.

However, I will shoot an animal for one of two reasons:
1. I'm going to eat it.
2. It's going to eat (or otherwise hurt) me or others.

If your animal falls into either category, I won't hesitate. And I expect the same from you.

P.S. My philosopy for shooting bad guys falls in the same line (w/o the #1 part, of course...:evil: )

Mastrogiacomo
January 2, 2003, 09:07 PM
I'm always amazed by the cruelty of people towards animals. It's pretty scary to think people are that capable of being vicious, but what frightens me more is how some sick sons of bitches treat their children...:(

Finch
January 2, 2003, 09:16 PM
Hell, in my opinion, I think animals are more civilized than most people responding in this thread. You won't see two cat's getting in a inane debate about their master stealing the other guys paper. :rolleyes: It's pretty sad to see how frivolous life has become to society, human or animal. Life is a gift, and to think that people would be willing to take it away due to petty matters is inconceivable. Taking a life is only necessary when yours is being threatened.

Gordon
January 2, 2003, 09:20 PM
Or your livestocks.:neener:

cuchulainn
January 2, 2003, 09:21 PM
Cats that dig in the garden...

Cayan pepper sprinkled liberally on the dirt at the offending spot will stop them. It hurts them temporarily, but it's better than shooting them -- and you don't have to be there when they come by.

MR.G
January 2, 2003, 09:29 PM
Anyone who shoots a cat should suffer, and will if I see them.

Pawcatch
January 2, 2003, 09:29 PM
For those who feel for the birds,Darwin actually works;the cats aren't getting the smart and well.

Benewton,so I guess you don't care if a non-native species like feral cats kill off native birds.I don't think many state wildlife conservationist would agree with you.

Just look at New Zealand,95% of kiwi chicks won't make it to adult hood because of feral speicies like the ferrets,stoats,and cats.

MLH
January 2, 2003, 09:33 PM
That said I keep my cats indoors.

Cats are like Glocks, you either love them or hate them or you really don't care one way or the other as long as you don't have to fool with them.;)

If it weren't for cats there would be a whole lot more mice and rats running around the world and I like cats more than those little crittters.:eek:

JohnKSa
January 2, 2003, 09:34 PM
I have a cat. It is a pet and therefore is not allowed to roam the neighborhood freely.

I have a neighbor who feeds cats. They roam the neighborhood at will and therefore are NOT pets they are simply animals that someone feeds regularly.

I know that these people do not care about these cats or they would restrain them so that they would be safe from:

1. Cars.
2. Disease.
3. Other animals
4. Irate property owners.
5. Animal Control

Therefore since these animals are pests and the people who feed them don't really care about them I would have no problem humanely eliminating them if I find them damaging property or creating a health hazard of any sort.

People don't seem to understand that they are endangering their cats by allowing them to roam. And the major danger isn't people with BB guns.

Animal Control in one midsize Texas city (Lubbock) reports that it picks up eleven tons of animal carcases in a single month. Mostly roadkilled cats.

Feral cats which may come into contact with roaming "pets" often are infected with Feline AIDS, Feline Leukemia or other nasty diseases and parasites.

If you care about your pets you won't allow them to roam freely. If you allow them to roam freely, you shouldn't be surprised or angry if they come back injured, sick, shot, or don't come back at all.

Pawcatch
January 2, 2003, 09:47 PM
If it weren't for cats there would be a lot more mice and rats running around the world and I like cats more than those little critters.

MLH,
Actually,studies from Hawaii and New Zealand have shown that native ground nesting birds make up more of feral cats diets than non-native rodents.

El Rojo
January 2, 2003, 09:52 PM
I was taking down the Christmas lights yesterday when I saw a kitty up on the back wall. I retreated to the garage and considered shooting it with the BB gun, but nah. I grapped my carbine instead! After a quick burst, the kitty leaped off the fence! It was only a Airsoft MP5, and probably annoyed him more than anything else. Next time I might use the pistol.

I personally wouldn't shoot anyone else's kitty. My father has his own technique that if it were necessary, I would use. Take a small animal, live cage trap. Trap the cat in the privacy of your own back yard. Once the kitty gets stuck inside, apply liberal amounts of water from the garden hose for approximately 30 minutes. Release kitty. Repeat treatment if kitty returns.

As I said, I am not big into shooting other people's pets, as I love my own dearly. However, if you want to keep your pets safe, don't let them roam the neighborhood un-attended unless you are sure the neighborhood has also adopted your pet. Even then, you are taking a pretty big moving vehicle risk.

redneck
January 2, 2003, 09:53 PM
The situation is entirely different for you folks that keep fluffy in the living room, and have a neighbor 20 ft away.I can see how it might be hard to understand but some people's situation is different, and things have to be done that aren't necessarily pleasant.
Taking joy in hurting an animal is sick, I don't disagree with that. Escalating an issue over a pet/animal into a life or death situation between people is absolutely absurd. Get control of your emotions and use your head. The antis choose emotion over logic and look at the wonderful results :rolleyes: If they hurt your pet for the fun of it, they might deserve a beating, give them one if you want. But forget the nonsense of grabbing your glock. If its like a family member, stop and think about whether your letting it be the son who robs, vandalizes, tresspases, and has no respect for other people, but is really a good kid according to his mom.

I live in the country, we have horses, a dog, and barncats (2 right now). Now I can't keep tabs on the cats all the time, but every time I'm in the barn they are too. If they roam around, I don't know anything about it and if they're causing problems on someone else's property, I'm not gonna be upset when they disappear.
About 2 weeks ago a big yellow tomcat started showing up in the barn. Would high tale it out the door every morning when I came to feed, or would run up on top of the hay in the haymow when I went up. Within that same time period the hay mow started smelling like cat piss and there was s### all over the floor. Then a dead kitten showed up in the middle of the floor, which looked like it had been shook to death.
Is the yellow cat a stray or somebody's pet? I don't have a clue, and either way its not friendly and I'm not putting up with it killing my animals and making a huge mess of my barn. Given the chance I'll shoot it. I don't intend to torture it, or see how gory I can make it but I do intend to eliminate the problem. Its a varmint plain and simple, every bit as much as a racoon, possum, or ground hog.
The owners clearly don't care about it enough to keep it at home, if it even belongs to anyone.

Calamity Jane
January 2, 2003, 09:53 PM
I am very much a cat person. Or a person who loves cats. Or something like that. Anyway... ;)

Hubby and I are owned by a big, fluffy orange cat who doesn't go outside at all. Why should she, when she's Kitty Czarina of the house?

And if someone did try to shoot her, why, she's liable to start shootin' back. She's quite bonded with my Winchester Model 1894, as this picture shows:

BigJake_old
January 2, 2003, 10:11 PM
I love cats and all, despite the fact they make me itch, but like everyone else said, if your cat is on my farm, it will be a target of oportunity. you can thank the domestic housecat for the destruction of the pheasant species around here. if you let your cat run unchecked it WILL disapear. i'm a huge advocate of fixin the dang things, kittens are cute and all, but if you don't know what will happen to them, don't let your cat have em.

KP95DAO
January 2, 2003, 10:14 PM
Pawcatch,

"Benewton,so I guess you don't care if a non-native species like feral cats kill off native birds.I don't think many state wildlife conservationist would agree with you.

Just look at New Zealand,95% of kiwi chicks won't make it to adult hood because of feral speicies like the ferrets,stoats,and cats."

Of course we all know which non-native species was responsible for the demise of the Do-Do bird. And it wasn't a feline.

One of my cats goes where she pleases in the neighbor hood. Everyone knows her just as I know the other cats that roam. There is one very pretty tabby that eats out of my cat's bowl in the garage. I am sure my cat eats out of other cat's bowls. Maybe I just live among some good people.

And, yes, my cat catches and eats birds, mice, moles, and also a baby rabbit on occasion. That does not reduce their numbers as much as habitat encroachment.

gun-fucious
January 2, 2003, 10:14 PM
A buddy uses a 22lr to dispatch feral cats on his farm.
His new wife decided to be nice to a new stray cat and fed him for a week.
She got biten and had to get rabies shots.
Animal Control eventually live caught Mr. Stray
and beheaded him for a rabies test.

It seems like the 22lr method was more efficient.

Lochaber
January 2, 2003, 10:16 PM
Some days I wonder about some people. Some of you have decided that if something bothers you or your garden you shoot it. I honestly hope that you dont carry a gun day to day because you would be a danger to yourself and those around you.

I tend to avoid flame inducing conversations, but *** happened to using deadly force only when aboslutly necesarry? Ever heard of a friking water gun? What happens if that cat that you saw sitting on your car and killed was the dear pet of the 12 year old next door? Maybe the cat never seen the ouside of a house or maybe it is friking blind? Did you talk to your neighbor? Do you know who's cat it is?

So maybe you asked every one and the cat is a feral stray. So you decided to kill it. Next day there will be another, and then another and so on. Perhaps if you called a local rescue group you migth have gotten some education about the subject. There are about 10 cats for each human in North America. And each pair will make about 6 more in the average EVERY YEAR. How much ammo do you have?

Do you want to actually solve the problem? Then put out a trap and pay your vet to spay it, test it, and give it a set of shots. Then put it back out. Not only will it stop destroying your property but being that they are territorial it will keep the rest of the strays away. Yeah ... you may have 10 strays. It may cost you $500 to fix them all. But it would have trully solved the problem as opposed to bitching about it and shooting innocent animals we have dragged across the ocean with us. You do know that their are not native dont you?

Sure there are pleanty of iresponsible people that let their pets ran around, and there are plenty of reasons to kill dangerous animals. There are many reasons to hunt and control dear populations and whatnot. The difference is that you can actually do it. You simple cant contain feline populations by killings them. Dont believe me ... go to the library and read.

It drives me batty that some of us think that it is macho to brag about shooting animals they know nothing about. "I'm just defending my proprety" is a fine position if the Huns or the JBTs are invading. ITS A FRIKING CAT!!!

Sorry about the tone of this posting. I may be a bit furious but this is exactly the kind of behaviour that paints gun owners as compete buttheads. People that shoot local pets over a scratch are the reason while gun owners are viewed as uneducated rednecks and they are also the reason while it is so easy for the gun grabbers to convince the people on the fence.

THINK BEFORE YOU ACT!!!:fire:

Loch

BigJake_old
January 2, 2003, 10:21 PM
for 500$, you could have 25000 rnds of .22 ammo...lota cats

gun-fucious
January 2, 2003, 10:37 PM
deja vu (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88074)

also see:
http://www.abcbirds.org/cats/catsindoors.htm

TexasVet
January 2, 2003, 10:39 PM
.. the cat is a feral stray. So you decided to kill it. Next day there will be another, and then another and so on.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, in about a year the problem seems to go away. Kill the breeders and the population declines drastically. The 'don't kill such sweet animals' bunch seem to be mostly city folk. Watching your chickens die or your neighbors ducks (our FOOD!) die nightly will change your minds quick. Feral cats are the WORST predators in these Texas woods. Even the biannual trip through the county of the mountain lion causes less damage to our foodstocks. The pet cats around here stay home. Every other cat is a target, period. Same as the packs of gone wild dogs that show up once in a while. I may regret shooting that pretty Shepard and his three friends that killed my friends calf last year, but it did NOT slow down the shot.

As for...
"Some days I wonder about some people. Some of you have decided that if something bothers you or your garden you shoot it. I honestly hope that you dont carry a gun day to day because you would be a danger to yourself and those around you. "

I thought we left the liberals behind on TFL wondering where everyone went. You LET things steal (or just crap on) your food with no response?
Sorry, but most of us can't afford to do that. We hate qualifying for the Darwin Awards (or the PETA Animal Hugger of the Year Award) around here. In the country, reality is still important, more so than it seems to be in the cities anymore.

nsf003
January 2, 2003, 10:41 PM
If its like a family member, stop and think about whether your letting it be the son who robs, vandalizes, tresspases, and has no respect for other people, but is really a good kid according to his mom.

A cat that destroys things and trespasses is no different. The owwner will always say "but he was a good cat, never hurt anyone"

ITS A FRIKING CAT!!!

But officer, It's just my 13 year old son, he would never do such a thing. I'm sure he didn't mean to break into your house. I thought it took a village to raise a child.:rolleyes:

What happens if that cat that you saw sitting on your car and killed was the dear pet of the 12 year old next door?

I guess that 12 year old needs to get some responsibility. Talk to your neighbors first, then shoot.

There are about 10 cats for each human in North America. And each pair will make about 6 more in the average EVERY YEAR. How much ammo do you have?

So your saying that we should all buy live traps and pay a vet to spay and give it shots? How much money do you have?:rolleyes:

But it would have trully solved the problem as opposed to bitching about it and shooting innocent animals we have dragged across the ocean with us. You do know that their are not native dont you?

How did they get rid of the " innocent rabbits that they dragged across the ocean" that overpopulated Australia? They shot and poisoned them. I guess they should have trapped them, payed a vet to spay(you know how those rabbits multiply) and give shots, and released them so they could overpopulate, starve, and wreak more havok on the fields. That is much more humane and cost effective than a 2 cent 22 to the head.:rolleyes:

Use more logic, less emotion. Think twice, post once.

nsf

Pawcatch
January 2, 2003, 10:46 PM
Of couse we all know which non-native species was responsible for the demise of the do-do bird.And it wasn't a feline.

Yes,man and the introduction of non-native species like pigs,dogs,rats,and monkeys played the biggest role in the demise of the dodo.That doesn't mean that feral cats shouldn't be controlled.And that means FERAL cats.Benewton basically said no cat should be shot.

nd,yes,my cat catches and eats birds,mice,moles,and also a baby rabbit on occasion.That does not reduce their number as much as habitat encroachment.

Of course,cats aren't going to reduce native animals numbers that much when those native animals are already use to being hunted by small predators like foxes,bobcats,ect.
The same can't be said for kiwi and weka in New Zealand where there are no native predators.

Kcustom45
January 2, 2003, 11:12 PM
We have about 2 or 3 cats that live in my barns. I don't bother them and they don't bother me (sometimes they irritate my dog). If someone shoots them I would hope they had a good reason to, but I probably wouldn't even know about it. I see them on occasion, but never even thought about shooting them. As long as they are eating the mice and rabbits and watch out for they coyotes they should be all right.

BigJake_old
January 2, 2003, 11:19 PM
Exactly Texas Vet, NSF003. The only way to take care of the critters is careful extermination with cheap bullets such as the .22 I fully agree with having YOU domestic pet spayed or neutered, thats a good thing, but why should i pay to fix half a dozen animals at my exxpense when i could just elimanate the problem with 100% less problem?

-B-a-M-
January 2, 2003, 11:42 PM
Me and my friends were shooting at cans behind my house one day with bb guns and one of them turned and SHOT MY CAT RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!!! I turned to him pulled my air pistol out of my holster and shot him in the calve. He jumped needless to say and swore some but then we kinda looked at each other and saw how serious we were both trying to be and started laughing. I just told him not to do it again or I would use my Co2 Pistol next time.:evil:

piccolo
January 2, 2003, 11:59 PM
1. I have been a cat's human for qiute a while.

2. I own a .45

3. I own a canvas tarp and have a lot of scrap iron around

4. I work as a seaman

5. If I decide to give you a break, you will not be a happy camper because you will find yourself on all fours replacing the duties of this little guy.

Go to the competitive forum and look at the pic posted under the thread 'A good excuse for poor shooting'.

BigJake_old
January 3, 2003, 12:04 AM
Better keep it in the house....
did i mention i firmly agree with the last guy that said that no animals life is worth that of a humans.

Okiecruffler
January 3, 2003, 03:26 AM
"did i mention i firmly agree with the last guy that said that no animals life is worth that of a humans."

If you come into my house to take my TV, I will shoot you. My TV is worth more to me than your life. If you are in my driveway trying to jack my truck, I will shoot you. My truck is worth more to me than your life. Why would I let you slide if you shot my pet for no reason? That being said, it is very unlikely that you will find any of my animals on your property. Right now, my cats do a little roaming out here in the boonies, but when I lived in town they stayed inside. I think the problem here is that those who will shoot an animal to protect what is their's somehow got lumped in with the same crowd as those who kill just to see something die. I think there's a big difference there.

Good thread, can't believe it's stayed as civil as it has.

Daniel
January 3, 2003, 04:23 AM
(Intro: Hello all, I hope to learn as much here; like the tick that I am, as I did on TFL.) :)

Cat or dog on my property, that I cannot ID. I shoot; I like echidnas and koalas better.

DadOfThree
January 3, 2003, 05:43 AM
I am not really a cat person. We used to have anywhere from 4 to 20 cats on the farm where I grew up. The number fluctuated so much because the farm is a dangerous place for kittens (machinery, vehicles, water tanks, dogs etc). They kept the mouse and rat population down. Even though I am not a cat person, killing a neighbors cat would have to be a last resort for me.
Benewton said,
For those of you who feel for the birds, Darwin actually works: the cats aren't getting the smart and well.
People have the right to watch wild birds on their property without someone's cat killing the wildlife. If you carry out the Darwin theory to it's full extent, people being higher on the food chain don't kill the well and the smart either. The smart cat stays home.
KP95DAO said,
One of my cats goes where she pleases in the neighbor hood. Everyone knows her just as I know the other cats that roam
That is well and good but if your cat gets shot taking a dump in someone's flower garden, you are as responsible for the cat's death as the guy or gal who is protecting their roses. You have let your cat invade their space, not the other way around.

Again, I would personally talk to the owner first, throw tennis balls at it second, maybe use a Red Ryder third and only shoot it as a last resort. I don't think that I should have to go through all of the because someone won't control their own property.

benewton
January 3, 2003, 06:10 AM
FWIW, I didn't say, nor did I mean to imply, that no cat should be shot. After all, if my dogs are running deer, I'd expect they'd pay the price, and, I guess, if it's a real PIA cat, I guess that there could be some justification.

That said, though, I'd think something other than wandering through your back yard on the way to elsewhere is required to qualify as a PIA. Too, since I'm not really interested in killing anything, I'd try the other methods first.

With the exception of the moron with the lawnmower, I doubt I'd shoot another over an animal. But don't think that that's the same as ignoring the event: I've a very long memory and payback is!

spacemanspiff
January 3, 2003, 07:46 AM
i used to have 2 cats when i was a kid. one was a siamese kitten. pure evil. you could see the pleasure it derived from inflicting pain upon its human roommates. she would dart into the room, jump on your back, dig claws as deep as possible and before you could yell in pain would be gone from the room and hiding somewhere in the house.

we wound up sending her down to my uncle who lives outside kodiak. nowadays that siamese hunts smaller prey: ravens. :D

i cant imagine shooting a cat, bullets or pellets or bb's, ever.
you worried about them spraying your property? put mothballs around your doors and bushes around your house. cats been pooping in your flowerbeds? cheap fertlizer.

a domesticated animal that is not emotionally shallow and brainless (like most dogs-now i've done it, okay flame retardant suit has been donned) should never get shot, period.

Beren
January 3, 2003, 08:10 AM
I love "my" dogs (not really mine but I see them weekly), but they can be the most brainless critters. Then again, my white lab KNEW not to lick the nine-volt battery I offered her. She saw my big smile, cocked her head sideways, and slowly backed away. Now that's one smart dog!

No, I wouldn't have let her actually lick it. I'm mean but I'm not a rat bas****.

The parents have had two cats, one ten years old, the other six or seven. Both males, neutered. (As Ralph the Cat says, "You cut off my balls, man! That's angst, man! Yeah, you fixed me /real/ good!") Both are indoor/outdoor cats that go outside to play and relieve themselves. They're fed indoors but bring the occasional robin, mole, or chipmunk back from the woods. The parents live out in a mostly rural area five miles from town, surrounded by open woods on all but one side. The neighbors on that side are also animal lovers, but the cats don't go over there - they have six dogs which regularly run around in a large fenced area.

The older cat was declawed as a kitten but has never had a problem. The younger one, who has all his claws, is a pussy, no pun intended. He runs from everything and got his a** kicked by a crow once. Either way, they go in and out as they will, but usually sleep indoors.

The two dogs (replacing the two who died last fall, sadly) are not granted the same liberty. They're allowed to go out when they want, but only into a fenced space that's about 70x40 yards in size. Occasionally they escape, but being silly girls (albeit spayed), each has their own preference.

The mini Rott/Shepard (rescued from an animal shelter as a puppy) heads straight for the neighbors to yell at their dogs if they're out. Makes it easy to catch her.

The white lab heads straight for the nearest source of open water (a small creek along the driveway.) Once she's soaked, she typically goes running along the side of the road towards a two-line paved road which heads into town, silly pup. As soon as she hears the parent's car, she stops and waits for a ride back to the house.

Me, I live in an apartment and refuse to have animals there since I work all day. I'd only see them for a couple hours at night and they'd have to stay couped up inside all the time (city environment.) I might get a pair of Siamese anyway.

The point to this story: it's not always a crime against animals to let your cats roam the outdoors as some desire, but you do need to keep a close eye on their health and accept that they are at higher risk of accidental or intentional death.

BigJake_old
January 3, 2003, 11:25 AM
Okiecruffler, you have a point, but mine is that human life is worth more than animal, everyone has thier own preference, but chances are i'm not going to shoot the critter that kills my dog, i did that i WOULD go to jail, you can't justify it. i would however kick the crap outa that person though. What i mean is like someone who kills a cat cruely and then gets more time in jail then the same guy that rapes some woman, thats what i mean.

redneck
January 3, 2003, 12:02 PM
Trap them and have them fixed? How is that going to do anything but drain my wallet?:confused: That is absurd. Someone is suffering under the misconception that a dead cat can still breed and produce more cats.
If there are so many cats that I can't shoot enough of them to make a difference, how can I have enough of them fixed to make a difference?
Shooting them, they don't have to suffer the shock of being trapped, drug to a vet, and manhandled by people. They're wild animals. The tree huggin PETA folks tried that with deer and the poor things were dying from shock.
And I don't have to spend all that money, take a chance on getting rabies/injured.

spacemanspiff
January 3, 2003, 12:24 PM
okay, how about a similar question:

since its obvious that the majority wouldnt maliciously bring harm to a deadly 4 lb furball that threatens their existence as well as the fragile reality some call 'the matrix', would you swerve to avoid hitting an animal in the road?

my answer is only that so far i'm up to 3 dogs and 1 rabbit on the scorecard.

nsf003
January 3, 2003, 12:45 PM
would you swerve to avoid hitting an animal in the road?

No. My life, the lives of the people in the car with me, and the lives of other motorists are worth more than a dog or rabbit. I would swerve for a person. Human life is worth more than a rabbit.

I would not swerve to hit the rabbit either.

nsf

Chipperman
January 3, 2003, 12:53 PM
Boy, if I had a Dollar for every cat Radiograph I took that had a BB or pellet in it, I'd be able to pay back my student loans!!

Some people point to it, and say "What's that"? I usually matter of factly say, "Oh, that's just a BB". Then they freak out saying, "You mean someone shot my cat"?

The best one I heard was a lady who asked me if I could take the BB out and do Ballistic Fingerprinting on it to see who shot her cat!!!!

I did my best not to laugh at her.

The solution is obvious, keep your cat indoors. It's safer for them, and also all the wildlife that are killed every year by them.

AZTOY
January 3, 2003, 01:03 PM

Yes i live in a open range i have to swerve to ovoid hitting cows all the time. A car or truck hitting a cow at 55mph make a big mess.:banghead:

Ledbetter
January 3, 2003, 01:17 PM
They go on like the battery bunny.

Let me make clear that I don't advocate shooting cats dead for taking a dump in the garden, even recidivist cats. But I sure don't fault anyone for doing it, sometimes it's the only answer.

My belief is that in an urban setting, a .177 pellet is the answer, in a place where it will cause a big vet bill.

However, if my yard was small enough, I wouldn't hesitate for a second using pepper spray on them. Wouldn't that be a treat for the owner.:evil:

It's not about killing. For human threats, it's about taking them down NOW. For animal pests, it's about educating their owners.

spacemanspiff
January 3, 2003, 01:35 PM
hurmph! okay, i suppose i should have phrased the question a tad better aztoy...:D

considering the animal will not damage your vehicle, would you swerve to avoid hitting it?

up here, moose and automobiles have frequent flings, usually with both not walking/rolling away from it of their own volition. the animals i've had the misfortune of hitting have all been small enough that it didnt wreck my car. one lab did $1500 of damage though. i can still see that stupid mutts blank look in his eyes just before he kissed my headlight.
the first animal hit was both heartbreaking and hilarious. it was heartbreaking because there was a kid that ran across the street when i was still about 100 yrds away, and he called his little dog across just as i was going by. the hilarious part is that the miniature mongrel bounced 3 times on the underbody, thump! thump! thump!
then it went back to heartbreaking as i saw in the rear view mirror the little boy staring in disbelief at the twitching dog. no way in hades was i gonna stop and face that child or his parents.

Pawcatch
January 3, 2003, 01:39 PM
For the people who let their cats run loose.Why don't you just put a bell around their neck?That way land owners would know that they're not feral.It would also scare off many of their would be prey.

Beren
January 3, 2003, 01:44 PM
If I could safely swerve to avoid hitting the animal, I would. I have in the past, though typically I'm able to simply slow down fast enough to avoid the need to swerve. (Not recommended when there are people behind you.) I experienced a near-hit just last weekend, someone's dog got loose and was running around near the road. I slowed down and shooed him off the road; no time to leash it up and find the owner.

I don't hold a grudge against those who won't serve aside. They have a valid reason not to do so. Those who do piss me off are the morons who INTENTIONALLY hit animals with their vehicles. It's as sick as any other form of animal torture.

Lochaber
January 3, 2003, 01:48 PM
Hey redneck .. Please dont take this as an offence but believe me when I tell you that you are clueless on the subject. There are a handfull of places around the country that have solved their feline problems and in all of those cases fix and release is whats done it. I assume you have been shooting cats since you are kid. Have you run out yet? I doubt it.

So you dont want to spend $500 because its not your fault? So dont but dont complain when the problem doesnt go away by itself. Oh yeah and cats dont die of shock from being taken to vet. How do I know? Because my wife runs a rescue group and so far she has fixed and released over 1200 cats and not a one has died form the shock of seeing humans. Believe it or not, it works. There are colonies that people have tried to shoot, poison, and other wise destroy for 10 years, which are brought under control in 6 months.

I also resent having my opinions compared with those of PETA. I am not trying to force you to change your lifestyle, I am just pointing out to you that your solution is neither humane nor very efficient. Also calling people liberals on silly grounds doesnt make you look at that good either. I didnt show up at your door ordering you around about how to live your life. I just suggested you thought about it for a minute. Some people take to thinking that being a conservative means that you have to do everything the old fashioned way. There is a large distance between being fiscaly responsible, pro-gun and so on to having a complete lack understanding of anything newer then the telegraph. Some of the cat control methods put forward in this thread havent work for the past 100 years, so why do you believe they will work now?

Look, if you are a chicken farmer and the cats are eating your lifestock and livelihood, by all means defend your chickens with a rifle. If packs of wild dogs are chasing your cows around, shoot them. There are many good reasons for shooting stray animals. The fact that they leave foot prints on your engine hood, or that they may eat a bird near the bird feeder are not.

As for their ecological impact, it may be true that in some parts of the world cats are bad news, but in the US they compete with other predators for the same niche. In some areas where foxes and such have been eliminated they provide quite usefull services as rodent control.

As for those comparing the cat with the 13 year old criminal, please think before you post. A child is supposed to have some morals, education, and parents to look after him or her. A cat doesnt. A criminal should know that crime will be followed by punishment. A cat just thinks is kinda cool that it found a warm spot on your cars hood.

I am not sure I understand what kind of logic propels some people towards the opinions they hold. Heck, they are allowed to believe whatever they want. If you have a colony on your property and it is damaging your farm, do what you want. But if my indoor cat escapes and it takes me two days to track it down, only to find it shot in your driveway, we will have words. I dont think it be grounds for people shooting eachother, but it will be grounds for me putting up posters with your face all over the neighborhood informing people to stay away from you.

Loch

Ledbetter
January 3, 2003, 01:54 PM
If you find one covered in pepper spray, come on over.

:neener:

cordex
January 3, 2003, 02:02 PM
Too many variables to give a decisive answer.
What kind of animal?
How fast am I going?
Is there oncoming traffic?
Is there a car behind me?
How wide is the road?
Is the road icy or wet?
Is there a curve coming up?

Sometimes if I'm going slow enough I'll straddle opossum, racoons and other similarly sized critters. Purely selfish reasons, though, and only if I am endangering no one (especially myself!). A few weeks ago I had to brake suddenly (there was no-one behind me) to avoid hitting an idiot beagle that charged headlong across the road. Swerve in that case? No. Brake? Yes. No damage to my car, and someone's beagel went home to them (assuming it didn't get killed crossing another road).

Swerving at highish speed is a good way to lose control and get yourself and others killed. Maneuvering around animals at low speed and judicious use of the brake pedal is a good way to keep your car a little less blood spattered and potentially avoid some serious damage.

2nd Amendment
January 3, 2003, 02:40 PM
*sigh*

Stray cat = target

Stray dog x level of annoyance + no tags = possible target

Wild dog pack = target rich enviroment

Swerve? No, that's what brakes are for. Too close? Too bad.

Flame away

BigJake_old
January 3, 2003, 03:42 PM
AMEN BROTHER!!

Its been said, but if you like yer critter, keep it at home. pawprints and annoyance is more than enough reason for me.

I'm gona go with the "if you say so" attitude on spaying cats and turing them loose, but with all the time, money and effort involved with that noise, i could shoot many a cat with a .22. your solution might work, but i know mine does.

bogie
January 3, 2003, 04:00 PM
Have a problem with neighbors cats? Get a Catapault! Send 'em back home!

(heh, heh...)

Another date story: First date, was driving my old VW bus. Driving alongside one of our farms, showing the property lines to said date, with intention of exploring a dark and secluded corner of said property.

A possum ran across the road in front of me.

Or rather it tried to. Reflexes and instinct took over. Twisted the wheel, and got it with the driver-side wheel when it almost made it to the ditch. Satisfying double-thump from the second wheel... In a VW, you're sitting right on top of the front axle.

Date was horrified. Didn't understand the whole possum eradication project. Was driven home.

I don't like to make flat cats.

2nd Amendment
January 3, 2003, 04:16 PM
I'm actually to the point where I don't go out of my way to nail possums. Just drive on by. I still don't place additional wear on my brake pads for them, though.

One of two horribly funny possum stories: Five of us in a buddys Escort(don't ask) back in the mid 80's. We're barreling along the highway when out pops this fat possum.

"Target!" goes the war cry throughout the confines of the little red car. Little red car swerves across the highway and...misses. The driver gets this funny look on his face.

This has never happened before.

The next thing we know the drivers side door is open and the drivers seat is vacant. Note to the curious, the car is still traveling down the highway at 40+.

4 guys try to tackle the steering wheel before it escapes, too. One finally overpowers the rest of us panicked idiots and gets into the seat, shuts the door and gets the car out of the ditch it's trying to visit and turned around so the headlights now show us...

Tater(the former driver) chasing the possum up the road with a set of nunchuks.

By the time we got there he had dispatched said marsupial and had a satisfied maniacal grin on his face...which we took care of post haste.

Russ
January 3, 2003, 04:34 PM
I have met some fruit-loops from Tenessee and Kentucky that take new born kittens, put them in a plactic trash bag with holes in it and trough the bad with cats and few rocks for weight into a river or creek.

These aren't sadistic people as far as I can tell. Just a different outlook on life. In the PRK, you would be drawn and quartered.

In the PRK, they want you to take the kittens to the SPCA and have them put through the decompression chamber where their eyes pop out. Same outcome but in the PRK they call this humane. Same result.

I couldn't do either. Get the things spayed and don't be mean to them. I have 1 dog and 2 cats now. can't imagine hurting any of them. Why? They are always happy to see me. They make me feel good on a crappy day.

redneck
January 3, 2003, 05:09 PM
Lochaber
As far as the old fashioned way is concerned, there wasn't a stray cat problem back when the old fashioned way wasn't old fashioned.....
You go ahead and blow your paycheck getting everybody and their brothers cat fixed and all the strays that come around. Turn them loose to go on killing things, and tearing open peoples trash bags since they still have to find their own food. Nobody will know that you had them vaccinated so if they get in a fight with someones pet they will still be killed and tested for rabies. And they'll still wander into the road in front of cars and get flattened. Your not doing them any big favors.

I'll go on shooting the problem ones (go back to my first post in this, you'll notice I don't automatically shoot everything on sight, I have reasons) and they won't be causing problems any more. And no I haven't run out of them yet, I have a problem cat that needs taken care of right now. Its the first time in a year or so though, I'd say thats pretty effective.

Pawcatch
January 3, 2003, 06:07 PM
Lochaber,trapping and spaying I'm sure is effective in New Jersey and other populated areas,but I doubt it's going to be as effective in the outback of Australia or the mountainous areas of New Zealand.
There's a bit of info on feral species in New Zealand here www.turntide.co.nz/
and www.landcareresearch.co.nz/

In New Zealand they have tried everything like trapping and spaying cats,shooting,poisoning,and lethal trapping.From the charts on the Land Care Research site it seems that lethal trapping has the biggest impact.Modified Timms traps are used which are instant killing and very humane.

sasnofear
January 3, 2003, 06:36 PM
think about all the innocent song birds the cats kill. if you cant keep it in your own garden dont have a cat at all. if you let it onto someone elses property its up the the landowner the action they want to take. e.g .22

KP95DAO
January 3, 2003, 07:28 PM
Well, one thing about this thread, at least we have found out who can spell and who can't.

That being said, I'm sure it is no reflection on their innate intellectual abilities.

spacemanspiff
January 3, 2003, 07:37 PM
sasnofear, that actually was a contributing reason as to why i got rid of both my cats when i was about 12.
there is a leash law in our municipality and my mother gave the ultimatum:
the cats stay indoors at all times, or
get rid of them

i felt it was pretty mean to confine them to the house, the older cat was previously accustomed to spending most days outdoors and would cry endlessly to be let out.

Lochaber
January 4, 2003, 02:10 AM
As I said, there may be many situations under which killing cats and other critters is they only way. I just dont think it should be the first way. I did get a bit heated for which I apologize if I offended anyone. It happens that I have two cats which were very abused before they come into my home and I have some strong reactions to people hurting animals for no reason. You are right that you should choose to spend your money as you wish. As stated earlier, I am not of those people that believe in forcing other to do what I think is best, but I will give my advice as long as you are willing to listen.

As for the comment about spelling, please keep in mind that not everyone is a native english speaker. I am not, and I know that my spelling is not great, and I try my best. In all honesty I am still way ahead of many who dont have my excuse and I keep on trying. Personaly I am continiously baffled about the logic of using double letters but it is my adopted country and language so I truge on until I'll figure it out. :scrutiny:

Loch

PS: Spellcheckers are good. Can we have one pluged into this board engine?

Sindawe
January 4, 2003, 02:59 AM
Cats: Nope, don't shoot cats. Never even consider such. Like the creatures, and consider not shooting as part of respect for fellow preditors. Live with three (Bastubus, Kahless and Uther Pendragon). Get very Very VERRY iRaTe when other talk of shooting cats....

Spell Checkers: Yes, I use QuickSpell, a hold over from my OS/2 days, before I surrendered to The Darkside and went with Microsoft. :D See http://www.fornada.com/html/home.html. works in editors, WP apps and browsers. Cool utility, like most from OS/2.

Don't move! Or I'll fill you full of..little yellow..bolts of..light...

BamBam-31
January 4, 2003, 04:28 AM
Cool cat thread.

Tallied two myself. One snuck under my car while I was stopped at a red light. Light turned green, I started to move, back wheel went bump. Checked mirror, cat was trying to drag itself to the curb with only its two front paws.

Second cat was a pretty, fluffy, expensive-looking critter. Darted out between parked cars. Cars all around, so I couldn't brake or swerve. Barely grazed it, but it died instantly. I looked and asked around to see if anyone owned it. No reply, so I moved on. Day before Christmas.

Hate cats, personally, but I felt like crap after each one. I'd never shoot one, no matter how much of a nuisance it was. Probably against the law anyways.

Hey Skunk: My aunt called one morning (6am or so) and asked for my dad. When he answered, she asked him, "Hey, I caught a cat. What's the best way to kill and prepare it?" I hung up and pretended it was a nightmare. :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "Don't shoot at cats.........................." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!