When travelling by car do you carry more guns and ammo?

PDA

jsalcedo
April 5, 2003, 05:11 PM
I just went on a driving trip where I knew I would be
going through hundreds of miles of desolate highway.

I decided to pack more than my CCW and one clip just in case.
Ended up being a reliable 1911 with 8 loaded mags.

Also brought extra water, food, cellphone, TP and extra medication and first aid.

Does anyone take heavier firepower when going on a long car
trip?

I would like some ideas because I've got 2 more trips planned.

Lets not make this into a legality debate point, I got zinged once
already.

If you enjoyed reading about "When travelling by car do you carry more guns and ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Landfeldmesser
April 5, 2003, 05:24 PM
I usually keep an AK and a chest pouch of mags in my truck all the time anyway, so its not really an issue for me. I still have my handgun and a double reload on me too. Everyone has a different idea of what is comfortable, so go with what you feel best with.

Bainx
April 5, 2003, 05:43 PM
You damn right I do!
In addition to primary and BUG with reloads, I carry some folding knives and Fox pepper spray.

xjer
April 5, 2003, 05:52 PM
Yes, I always keep a gym bag full of the stuff you mentioned
in the back of the suv, plus when we head out of town I hide
an extra Ruger P95 and a box of ammo in the cargo area.

Mike

mgjohn
April 5, 2003, 09:49 PM
Yes, always take a long gun and an extra handgun. Along with lots of ammo.

MountainPeak
April 5, 2003, 10:31 PM
Yup, desolate highways always present great plinking opportunities. Why not make your rest stops into shooting stops? When I drive back home, I don't consider it a true vacation if I don't pop off a few hundred rounds. By the way, you are safer in those desolate areas than in the city you left!!;)

SquirrelNuts
April 5, 2003, 10:52 PM
You can pop a few possum, fox, and coon on the way home to stock up the freezer too. Just don't forget the bucket.

-SquirrelNuts

April 5, 2003, 11:18 PM
Absolutely. I often take this to a ridiculous extreme if I think I might have the slightest chance to do some shooting. I once took my girlfriend to the Fantasy Inn in Lake Tahoe and had a half dozen guns and a few thousand rounds of ammo in the back. I didn't fire a round, but if the opportunity presented itself, I was ready. Last fall, I broke down with an overheated transmission at least a hundred miles from the nearest town. While I was waiting for the transmission to cool down, I dug out an AR15 and spent an hour or so shooting junk that idots tossed out along the road. You never know when you are going to some boring family reunion or whatever when the town you are going to be in might have an IDPA or an IPSC match. Or somebody you are visiting might rise to the bait and start a conversation about shooting. Then you can segway from that into saying; hey, instead of sitting here, let's go out and do some shooting. It just so happens I have a few guns in the truck.

If you mean do I load up for some SHTF senario, then no.

Kentucky Rifle
April 6, 2003, 11:11 AM
KR

cratz2
April 6, 2003, 11:22 AM
Well, not really.

I always have a reliable beater 1911 and five loaded mags in the trunk. P32 with 2 mags and usually a full-size Springfield 1911 with two loaded mags.

MolonLabe416
April 6, 2003, 12:25 PM
Semantics: It's a magazine, not a clip.

Road trip.
I always take a long gun if traveling overnight. I prefer a carbine, but others like the shotgun. It's a personal preference as either will do.

A Marlin or Winchester in 30/30 is an excellent choice. Doesn't scare the Sheeple and plenty capable for any defensive situation.

An M1 Carbine or AR-15 Carbine works well too, but be sure to know the law where you are going.

The lever has a loaded magazine and a buttcuff plus 100 rounds. If taking the AR I take 100 rounds in loaded magazines.

I take my standard sidearm and 1 spare magazine, plus one box.

I take my bug out kit, personal survial kit, or whatever it's called this week. Meds, 1st aid, emergency clothing and equipment, shelter, food water, fire, light, and communcations (small radio with shortwave capability and cell phone, spares).

If you are traveling in areas of severe weather or that are sparsely populated, plan a minimum of 3 days support from your kit.

Make sure your car is in good condition. It amazes me that so many people make all the preps listed above and then set off across Montana in January in a '72 Pinto that takes a quart of oil a day, and then don't carry oil! Silly.

Enjoy the trip.

jsalcedo
April 6, 2003, 12:33 PM
I just noticed in my original post I used clip and mag in the same sentence.

All week long I hung out with people who say "clip" instead of magazine unfortunately it rubbed off on me.

If you enjoyed reading about "When travelling by car do you carry more guns and ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!