NAS JRB Ft Worth gun club forming

PDA

backbencher
December 13, 2005, 11:10 PM
Yep, I'm a newbie here.

In order for civilians to shoot @ the range onboard NAS JRB Ft Worth, the easy way is to form a shooting club, then sign a memorandum of understanding.

Once we have a name, we'll get a website. We're deciding on a name over @:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=217344

Other suggestions can be made here & I'll cross-post them.

Two current names in play are North Texas Shooting Club & Panther City Gun Club.

Gig 'em,

PO2 backbencher USNR
Acting Secretary
NAS JRB Ft Worth Gun Club

If you enjoyed reading about "NAS JRB Ft Worth gun club forming" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TarpleyG
December 14, 2005, 09:19 AM
Well, I vote for North Texas Shooting Club. People will know who and what you are. Panther City tells me nothing. What the hell is Panther City anyway? Or, even North Texas Gun Club if there isn't already one.

Greg

GhostRider66
December 14, 2005, 11:29 AM
I was going to vote for "Squirrel Snipers of North Texas" but the option, surprisingly, was not there.

CatsDieNow
December 14, 2005, 11:54 AM
We got panthers in the city here? :eek:

I'd be interested in shooting there.

Nathanael_Greene
December 14, 2005, 12:41 PM
How Fort Worth got the nickname of "Panther City":

There's a panther on the badges of the Fort Worth PD.
http://www.fwpoa.org/about.html

The sleeping panther in downtown:
http://home.earthlink.net/~bronzedragon/panthers/

(I guess my time volunteering for the Fort Worth CVB wasn't wasted after all--not to mention the free pit passes to Indy Car races.)

backbencher
December 14, 2005, 02:40 PM
Folks,

Turns out there is already a North Texas Shooters Association:

http://www.shootntsa.com/

(Edited to add: And someone's already using North Texas Gun Club - http://www.classicshows.com/ )

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Acting Secretary

cxm
December 14, 2005, 02:55 PM
Carswell AFB Shooters something or another

Yep, I'm a newbie here.

In order for civilians to shoot @ the range onboard NAS JRB Ft Worth, the easy way is to form a shooting club, then sign a memorandum of understanding.

Once we have a name, we'll get a website. We're deciding on a name over @:

Other suggestions can be made here & I'll cross-post them.

Two current names in play are North Texas Shooting Club & Panther City Gun Club.

Gig 'em,

PO2 backbencher USNR
Acting Secretary
NAS JRB Ft Worth Gun Club

cxm
December 14, 2005, 02:56 PM
YEs, NTSA is an excellent private club with some very nice facilities.

FWIW

Chuck

Folks,

Turns out there is already a North Texas Shooters Association:

http://www.shootntsa.com/

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Acting Secretary

GhostRider66
December 14, 2005, 02:56 PM
Does this mean I can resubmit for "Squirrel Snipers of North Texas"?

backbencher
December 14, 2005, 03:19 PM
cxm, Ghost Rider,

Ummm, Carswell Air Force Base hasn't existed for years. It's NAS JRB Fort Worth now. It's a NAVY base. We rent space to the Air National Guard.

Ghost Rider, already got your vote for Squirrel Snipers. You need to do some campaigning over on AR-15.com b/c it's not happening for you here : )

Gig 'em,

PO2 backbencher United States NAVY Reserve

saltydog452
December 14, 2005, 04:12 PM
A range in NW FTW would need to attract shooters from all of DFW, so I would think that a name that would reflect on the region, rather than the town might work a bit better.

'Trinity River ..(....something)......' might work. I'd be intestered no matter what you name it as long as it had rifle ranges as well as sidearm.

salty.

backbencher
December 14, 2005, 04:19 PM
salty,

This is a range that already exists, & is paid for & maintained w/ Federal taxpayer money. It's onboard NAS JRB Fort Worth, the Navy base located where the old Carswell AFB used to be. Twin 25 meter indoor ranges that can handle 12 ga buckshot, 3000 fps 5.56 SS109, & most pistol calibers.

I seriously doubt that folks from Dallas are going to drive to a range that is only open M-F 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.

1 vote for Trinity River Gun Club recorded.

Gig 'em,

backbencher

saltydog452
December 14, 2005, 09:15 PM
Whoop!

sd.

TexAg
December 15, 2005, 12:55 AM
salty,

This is a range that already exists, & is paid for & maintained w/ Federal taxpayer money. It's onboard NAS JRB Fort Worth, the Navy base located where the old Carswell AFB used to be. Twin 25 meter indoor ranges that can handle 12 ga buckshot, 3000 fps 5.56 SS109, & most pistol calibers.

I seriously doubt that folks from Dallas are going to drive to a range that is only open M-F 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.

1 vote for Trinity River Gun Club recorded.

Gig 'em,

backbencher

"Twin 25 meter indoor ranges", but how many lanes? I am curious, I've never been there but would be interested. I vote Panther City Gun Club. We are in Panther City, there are other ranges in and around Ft. Worth, no harm in identifying with Ft. Worth only.
Gig 'em, FTACO '99

backbencher
December 15, 2005, 01:40 PM
A-CO,

I don't remember how many lanes are in each bay, & of course it depends on how many target mechanisms are working. I want to say 12-15 lanes per bay, but that's just a guess.

From Zulu Niner over @ AR-15.com comes these two suggestions:

D/FW Gun Club (or Dallas/Ft. Worth)?
D/FW Shooting Club (or Dallas/Ft. Worth)?

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Regiment '92

backbencher
December 15, 2005, 02:30 PM
I see North Texas has pulled even w/ Panther City on AR-15.com, & it's already ahead on the High Road. Let me give another pitch for Panther City. While the range we expect to shoot @ is already paid for, gas is $2.00 a gallon. I really don't think folks from all over North Texas are going to drive very far to a range that is only open 5 days a week during working hours. I think it's gonna be folks from west Fort Worth & the north-western suburbs that shoot there. North Texas is an awfully large area, & there's already an organization w/ a similar name.

Panther City is a historic name, & instantly recognizable to folks in Fort Worth & environs. I'm a Dallasite, and even I know what Panther City means. So please - vote for Panther City - early & often : )

Gig 'em,

backbencher

backbencher
December 24, 2005, 11:43 AM
Folks,

Despite the poll on AR-15.com, North Texas Shooting Club came in 1st over here on the High Road. And I think I voted once on both fora for Panther City, and tallying the votes, both names are in a dead heat. So, North Texas Shooting Club it is then. If someone would like to step forward as webmaster, let me know & we'll get started w/ the website.

Merry xmas, happy Hanukkah, & a kwaiss Eid.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Acting Secretary
North Texas Shooting Club

thumper723
December 24, 2005, 10:32 PM
Can you PM/Email me with how you are setting this up with the base? I am stationed at NS Mayport, and all we are allowed to shoot/transport on base is shotguns, for the skeet range only. The handgun range sits idle 2-3 days a week.

backbencher
December 25, 2005, 03:44 PM
thumper,

You might wish to read this thread on AR-15.com

and especially this one:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=216833

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Acting Secretary

backbencher
January 6, 2006, 06:42 PM
Hey folks:

Just registered NorthTexasShootingClub.org w/ GoDaddy - y'all owe me $11 : ) Will get w/ my hoster Sunday, unless someone else steps forward to be webmeister. Email is our new club name@hotmail.com - will check that periodically. Anyone want to donate their pet-free house for an organizational meeting?

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Acting Secretary

(Cross posted to AR15.com)

GhostRider66
January 6, 2006, 09:15 PM
Please let me know if you can't find a place. My wife works at Border's Books and all sorts of groups have meetings there. I can probably arrange that. Can we at least mention squirrels in our motto?:D

backbencher
January 9, 2006, 01:51 AM
GhostRider,

See if you can get a price on the room @ Borders? I suggest you compose a suitable motto in Latin, and we'll vote on it @ the 1st meeting. You might want to get something about Carswell in there for these old airmen. Sadly, I won't be training to kill squirrels, though I'd dearly love to get better @ it.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Acting Secretary

GhostRider66
January 10, 2006, 01:34 PM
The price is free. No room however. We just need to schedule a date and time and they give us an area in the back with whatever we need (chairs, tables, couches, etc.). Sorry been away for a couple of days. Let me know and I'll set it up.

cxm
January 10, 2006, 10:05 PM
It will always be Carswell AFB to me...

The new name is really dumb....It sounds like the name of a congolmerate.... not a military installation.

If the range is the one I remember it was built at Carswell in the SAC days... quite a nice range IIRC.

FWIW

Chuck

cxm, Ghost Rider,

Ummm, Carswell Air Force Base hasn't existed for years. It's NAS JRB Fort Worth now. It's a NAVY base. We rent space to the Air National Guard.

Ghost Rider, already got your vote for Squirrel Snipers. You need to do some campaigning over on AR-15.com b/c it's not happening for you here : )

Gig 'em,

TexAg
January 11, 2006, 01:54 AM
It will always be Carswell AFB to me...

The new name is really dumb....It sounds like the name of a congolmerate.... not a military installation.

If the range is the one I remember it was built at Carswell in the SAC days... quite a nice range IIRC.

FWIW

Chuck
I agree, its Carswell...and if not that, the Joint Reserve Base..but nobody I know calls it a Navy base! :D

orionengnr
January 11, 2006, 11:51 AM
Is that the base with the runway that faces (can't remember which lake) that used to be home to a USNR F-14 squadron? Been years since I've been there but now I live not-too-far away, I'd be interested in shooting there once in a while.
Can you give some more details?

backbencher
January 11, 2006, 11:51 AM
Chuck, Tex Ag,

It's a brand new range, indoor, two bays, 25 meters, umpteen lanes per bay when all the targets work, can handle 3000 fps SS109 & 12 ga 00 buck. The neighbors across the river were a little tired of stray rounds dropping into their backyards.

And yes, it is a NAVY base : ) The airfield, however, is still Carswell Field.

Gig 'em,

Acting Secretary

backbencher
January 11, 2006, 11:59 AM
orion,

All we know is in this thread, and the two threads referenced on AR-15.com. An F-14 squadron may have been based @ NAS JRB Ft Worth, and probably was based before that @ NAS Dallas, both of which have lakes on the ends of their runways. NAS JRB Ft Worth is in NW Fort Worth, on the southern end of Lake Worth. The entrance is just north of Texas 183, off I-30.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Acting Secretary

orionengnr
January 11, 2006, 01:11 PM
That was the one I was thinking of...where was that?

backbencher
January 11, 2006, 01:54 PM
orion,

NAS Dallas is now closed. It was located in a part of Dallas mostly surrounded by Grand Prairie. Part of the former base is now an Army Reserve station, and a few Marines are stationed there as well. I don't know if they have a range out there or not, or what their polices towards civilians are.

Gig 'em,

backbencher

orionengnr
January 11, 2006, 03:20 PM
But I'd be interested in trying out the JRB sometime. What are the requirements?
(Retired military ID card is in the wallet :) )

backbencher
January 11, 2006, 07:10 PM
orion,

We don't know the requirements yet. Possibly 3 pints of blood for a DNA sample & your 1st born child. But the process is this: form a shooting club, then go to the Navy hat in hand & say,"We're a shooting club, we'd like to sign a memorandum of understanding." We're still working on the 1st part - we've got a name, a domain name, an email address, & an acting secretary. We need a whole lot more than that, and it's slowly coming together. Once we actually have a web site up, we'll schedule our 1st meeting, elect officers, & collect dues. I'll be calling another prospective web host today - my friend wanted $100 for a year, which I thought a bit much for a simple announcements & contact page.

Gig 'em,

backbencher

Cross posted to AR-15.com
Acting Secretary

orionengnr
January 11, 2006, 07:42 PM
and the vasectomy took care of the second part :rolleyes:

What's your third choice? :)

GhostRider66
January 11, 2006, 07:44 PM
Backbencher,

Did you read my last post? Also, I just found out that I inadvertently paid for another year of webhosting and I haven't used the space in quite a while. I was going to cancel it and see if I could get my money back but let me know if I should just keep it and you could put it to use.

backbencher
January 12, 2006, 11:58 AM
Ghost Rider,

Please check your messages.

Gig 'em,

backbencher

backbencher
January 25, 2006, 03:46 PM
Ghost Rider,

Ping...

Gig 'em,

backbencher

GhostRider66
January 25, 2006, 06:35 PM
Ghost Rider,

Ping...

Gig 'em,

backbencher
:o Sorry about that. Please check PMs. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "NAS JRB Ft Worth gun club forming" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!