PDA

DevLcL
December 14, 2005, 05:02 AM
I was looking some of my grandpas old war stuff and found these papers regarding detachments and transfers. My grandfathers name is William H. Forsythe (seen at the top of the first page, see: 2dLT FORSYTHE, William H.)
The following is a transfer order from USMC 3rd Amphibian Tractor Battalion to 2rd Amphibian Tractor Battalion effective Dec. 19, 1944. Apparently, my g-pa was to be placed in charge of the Second Battalion, kinda interresting, theres lots of guys listed.

I know this isn't exactly gun related, but interresting none-the-less. Especially if you were in or know somone that was in WWII (specifically who fought in the pacific). Look through the list (ordered by rank, last names first) and see if you see any familiar names.

-Dev

If you enjoyed reading about "1944" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DevLcL
December 14, 2005, 05:04 AM

armoredman
December 14, 2005, 10:12 AM
Seal those in plastic, and treasure them.

JamisJockey
December 14, 2005, 10:36 AM
They aren't coming across large enough for me to read.
Is Dunaway listed anywhere there? G-pa was a tank driver, that's about all I know as far as unit, etc.

TheEgg
December 14, 2005, 11:06 AM
STOP -- DON'T seal them in plastic.

Get some archival quality, acid free folders (lots of different types) and put them in those. Also, if you want them to last forever, get an archivist to treat them -- a good one can neutralize the acid in the wood pulp that the paper is made of, and keep them from deteriorating further (the acid is what makes the paper turn yellow and brittle.)

NEVER 'SEAL' historic document in anything!

We now return you to your regular programming!:)

DevLcL
December 14, 2005, 03:50 PM
They aren't coming across large enough for me to read.
Is Dunaway listed anywhere there? G-pa was a tank driver, that's about all I know as far as unit, etc.

I believe the image shrinks automatically to fit the page but if you can hit the little 'fullscale' button on the bottom right of the pic it should do the trick.

If not I can give a little more thorough look for you, I didn't see anything on the first 3 pages so far...

-Dev

JamisJockey
December 14, 2005, 05:11 PM
Ah that worked. I didn't realize your papers were for the Third Mar Div. My Gpappy was Army. Served in Europe.

1911Tuner
December 14, 2005, 08:36 PM
If you would, see if you can find Harlass T. Boggs...Burma. A surviving member of Merrill's Marauders. My father's first cousin.

Also, Dodson Smith. Marine...Wounded on Saipan.

Thanks.

joab
December 14, 2005, 09:04 PM
Listen to Egg

DevLcL
December 14, 2005, 11:41 PM
If you would, see if you can find Harlass T. Boggs...Burma. A surviving member of Merrill's Marauders. My father's first cousin.

Also, Dodson Smith. Marine...Wounded on Saipan.

Thanks.

No Boggs... John, Coleman, Jesse, Richard and Laverne Smith, but no Dodson, Sorry.

-Dev

DevLcL
December 15, 2005, 12:21 AM
Here, maybe this will help make this thread some-what gun related. :D

It's apparently a battle plan or something I'm not really sure, I had to fold it up to fit it in the scanner and impose the title later. Have a look.

Also, I found the stencil of my grandpas name that he no doubt used to label lots of his stuff. Lots of that 'stuff' probably saw lots of action... now I'm just searching for an excuse to post it here :P Kinda cool though IMO.

-Dev

Oldtimer
December 16, 2005, 10:38 AM
While those documents hold "sentimental" value to you, they MIGHT have an "archival" value with the USMC. If they're handled and stored properly, they will "live" forever! You might do a search for "USMC historical society", or something similar to that.

.45Guy
December 16, 2005, 12:50 PM
Hate to trouble you, but is there a Floyd Hurley anywhere in there?

dasmi
December 16, 2005, 12:54 PM
I have a copy of my Great grandfather's discharge papers from WWI. I should scan and post it. Pretty interesting.

If you enjoyed reading about "1944" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!