question about hardchroming and reblueing

PDA

David S
April 6, 2003, 12:27 AM
I have heard a few places mentioned that do hardcromeing, but do these people also reblue?
is there a black version of the hardcroming process?

the reason i ask: I have come accross a old PPK for sale, its in good condition and functions good, but the finish is well........bad!

in fact the slide has been refinished and i dont like it much.
Im wondering , if i buy this gun, where should i send it to get it refinsihed?
What i had in mind is a two tone look. Get the slide hardchromed and get the frame blued or otherwise blackened........is there a aftermarket tenifer process that would work here?
I have little or no knowledge on aftermarket finishes so all help is appreciated!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "question about hardchroming and reblueing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Al Thompson
April 6, 2003, 12:33 AM
David, take a look at these folks. They did my Kimber and I'm very pleased with the work.

http://www.apwcogan.com

cratz2
April 6, 2003, 03:30 AM
Tripp (www.trippresearch.com) offers to prep and refinish the entire gun in hard chrome for $150. You can also get their Kobra Koat for the same price which is a black polymer coating. Might possibly charge less for such a small gun but I wouldn't count on it. They do excellent work and many of the best smiths recommend and use them.

Accurate Plating also comes highly recommended. They list blue jobs at $95-$135 depending on metal condition.

If you just want a consistant finish, most major cities have someone that will strip the current finish and parkerize a gun for about $40. Ask around at your gun shops.

I'm not on my personal computer so I can't quote the place, but I was reading on a very easy to do blackening kit that you clean the metal, not strip, just completely degrease it, then you dunk it in the blackening prep. Basically swish it around so it completely coats the frame/slide/small parts then let them set in for about 5-10 mintues. Then pull it out, wash off in the sink and let it dry. Then you do the same thing in the sealent. The products are competely non-toxic and can be stored in common plastic containers. And the finish is supposed to be good enough to be used on fairly heavy duty items and machined parts and installed without removing the finish. Costs about $25 for enough to make one gallon.

HSMITH
April 6, 2003, 01:06 PM
AP&W did my plating, Cogan did my custom work and I am thrilled with both. One stop shopping and the work is as good as you will find.

I have seen a couple of the trip plated guns and they are very nice indeed.

You could actually decide this one on price, both are good.

C. H. Luke
April 6, 2003, 02:02 PM
If your finish being "bad" also means pits, etc. Hardchrome
will not hid them.
A few of the matte blues available are almost black.
Novak's did a Hipower of mine that is a gorgeous almost Coal Black.

If you enjoyed reading about "question about hardchroming and reblueing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!