I made a side by side compairison today and put the winner on layaway.

PDA

flip180
December 15, 2005, 03:57 PM
I decided to start working toward my next purchase. I work extra hours at work to support my gun habit. I have six extra hours to work to pay off my Hi-Power and decided to get a head start on the next one with 100.00 dollars comming to me through an internet sale of a red-dot scope that I don't use anymore. I haven't received the money yet but why not go ahead and spend it. I went to my local gun store and had the employee pull out a 5-1/2 inch gloss/stainless Ruger "old" Vaquero and a 4-3/4 inch blued/case colored Beretta Stampede out with both in .45 long colt. After looking over the both of them and working with the action, the Stampede was the one I put my money down on. Other than the transfer bar, it was closer to an actual Colt SAA. I didn't care for the loading gate thing on the ruger. If it's going to look like the Colt then it shoud operate like the Colt. I though about getting one in .357 but .45 long colt is what I think of when I think of a SAA Colt like pistol. I hope to have it paid off in the next two months and will post pics of it when get it.

Flip.

If you enjoyed reading about "I made a side by side compairison today and put the winner on layaway." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Crosshair
December 15, 2005, 04:19 PM
From what I am aware of, Ruger never made an "old" Vaquero. BTW. I have a 7.5" Vaquero in 45 Colt on layaway. Plan to get a 45 ACP cylinder fitted so I can use cheap ammo for plinkin.:)

flip180
December 15, 2005, 04:39 PM
I meant the old style Vaquero. The one with the slightly beefier frame.

Flip.

Crosshair
December 15, 2005, 08:49 PM
Ah, ya, that's the one I have. I get to use the "Ruger Only" 45 Colt loads.:)

MCgunner
December 15, 2005, 09:09 PM
Was going to ask if the Beretta was strong enough for the fire breather hand loads my blackhawk eats for breakfast. Of course, I didn't buy mine for looks, but for use afield and wanted the adjustables of a blackhawk, too. It's close enough in looks for me, considering what a shooter it is. ;)

Hmm, this cowboy shooting thing has even got Beretta making SA revolvers. Who'd a thunk it. :D Try as I might, I can't get that worked up over cowboy shooting, though, even though I do have a double, a single action, and a M92 Winchester clone. I think I'd get more out of dressing up in buckskins for a black powder rendezvous and playing with my Hawkin. :D

flip180
December 15, 2005, 09:26 PM
Oh, there's no doubt about the strength of the Ruger. I will be hand loading .45 Long-Colt but for only paper punching target loads so, I'm sure the Beretta will have a long and productive life. I just wanted to fill a nitch in my collection and it seems to me that the Stampede had what I was looking for. It was the loading gate thing that pushed me toward the Stampede. Both were very nice guns and it was a hard decision but the Beretta won me over.

Flip.;)

Frandy
December 15, 2005, 10:29 PM
Hmm, this cowboy shooting thing has even got Beretta making SA revolvers.

Well, technically, they do... They bought Uberti and the Beretta models are Ubertis built to Beretta "standards."

MCgunner
December 15, 2005, 10:29 PM
I'd like to have a '73 colt clone, too. It'd be fun to play with and take to the range. I have a friend that's all into his peacemaker clone. Took him forever to actually buy one. He has a neat little Ruger Single Six Magnum .32 H&R I wish he'd get tired of and sell or trade to me. :D His .45 is a Uberti clone. Pretty gun with classic lines.

One thing about .45 and the .45 colt, at least mine, that I've found. They seem inherently accurate. I load a Lee cast 255 grain flat nose over a standard pressure charge of Unique. That load is ultra accurate. You can amaze your friends with a .45 Colt. Those bullets sure eat up a pound of lead, though.:eek: Fun to whip one out in a discussion of handgun calibers, though. They sorta dwarf little stuff like .45 ACP and 9x19. :D I should get a .45-70 barrel for my contender. That'd impress 'em. LOL!

Moonclip
December 16, 2005, 05:18 PM
I think the Berettas are prettier and as long as you don't plan on shooting nuclear grade handloads out of it I think you made the right choice.

If you enjoyed reading about "I made a side by side compairison today and put the winner on layaway." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!