What sacrifices do you make to pay for your firearms habit?

PDA

Beren
December 15, 2005, 10:16 PM
Fess up, folks. Most of us have a "problem." We like to buy expensive things like firearms, even though we may have to sacrifice other things.

What have you given up to free more funds for firearms?

Personally, I've started eating more beans and less steak...oh, and I gave up women, too. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "What sacrifices do you make to pay for your firearms habit?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dead
December 15, 2005, 10:32 PM
You need woman that buys more guns than you do, then you will be OK! :)

I rather not give up "other things", such as school, or food, gas, utilties, shelter. Other than that guns, ammo buyin looks good... ;)

Old Dog
December 15, 2005, 10:35 PM
I'm thinkin' my methods of funding my gun-buying habit need to remain classified ever since my wife "accidentally" found my computer bookmarks ... including THR, and I'm pretty sure she'd recognize my screen name ...

I've cut way down on my pizza and beer consumption, quit smoking expensive cigars almost every day, squirrel away all my travel pay/per diem when on dets/deployed, and finally, actually learned how to save money just by tucking away a few bucks a day ... One way I "sacrifice" is by not purchasing a new truck every couple of years like I used to ... driving a paid-off vehicle sure saves on bucks ...

yorec
December 15, 2005, 10:41 PM
Time - that part time job, whose funds are earmarked for firearms, takes up an awful lof of it.

GoBrush
December 15, 2005, 10:45 PM
I collect all loose change from my pocket each night and that goes for Ammo:D Atleast the change my kids dont take when I am not looking.:neener:

You can tell when my Ammo fund gets low I shoot more 22's during those times almost just as fun but lots cheaper.

I am in sales when bonus money comes my way thats NEW GUN TIME:evil:

Kurush
December 15, 2005, 11:03 PM
Since I started collecting guns I only smoke PCP three times a week.

:neener:

grimjaw
December 15, 2005, 11:04 PM
Dating.

Dining out at fancy restaurants, other than sushi places.

Some acquaintances.

jmm

Ovid
December 15, 2005, 11:07 PM
I gave up wearing Prada,,, now I have more money to spend on guns, AND I don't attract as many gold diggers :D

Sharps Shooter
December 15, 2005, 11:42 PM
I sure hope my 20 year old F-150 makes it another year before I have to do a top-end engine overhaul. The fenders are rusting off it too, but I've been wanting a 10mm 1911 for a while now. And of course, I'll soon have to buy another 30-06 to celebrate the first 100 years of that fine cartridge.:)

jsalcedo
December 16, 2005, 12:01 AM
Lay away.

Once you start paying it's 90 days or you lose it. :D

Cruising all the pawnshops each month until you find a gem in the rough that
the managment is ignorant of.

Not eating out, sending cards instead of gifts to worthless relatives. :neener:

trickyasafox
December 16, 2005, 12:01 AM
gave up paintball(that hurt maybe after college i'll hop back into it)
started reloading *whoever says that doesnt help is trying hard to save*
dont drink at college. you'll be amazed how much you save

cz75bdneos22
December 16, 2005, 12:13 AM
i don't smoke, drink or go to clubs...that frees up a lot of money...:what:
as for "pure"...:barf: i spend my money on motorcycles. guns and women...:evil: in that order...YMMV :neener:

MatthewVanitas
December 16, 2005, 12:20 AM
Though I'm not as pure as cz75bdneos22, I also have a pretty low-maintenance lifestyle, so that really frees me up in the finance dept. No TV, no microwave, try to avoid using heat or A/C, used car, trade CDs when I get tired of them.

I try and avoid owning things that I don't really, really want to own, so that makes it very easy to own the few things that I definitely want to own, like my soon-to-arrive Bushmaster Dissipator.

"No son pobres los que poco tienen, son pobres los que mucho desean"

("The poor are not those who have little, the poor are those who want much", from a 16thC. Spanish play)

-MV

Gunz
December 16, 2005, 01:05 AM
Living beneath my means has allowed me to collect gradually over the years. Same avoidance of luxuries listed above have helped divert funds towards the guns I have desired.

Being a regular working guy makes it tough to support the habit. Still, it is gratifying to have the little pleasures in life.

The irony is the fact that gun collecting has helped me develop an incredibly disciplined budgeting mindset. All the basic necessities are covered, and the residuals are free to go to the toy of themonth.

A long time ago, I hit my saturation point, and now collect only the hard-to-find models.

UberPhLuBB
December 16, 2005, 01:25 AM
I've been without health insurance for 4 months so I have more money to spend on guns and ammo. :uhoh:

Do I really need to pay my mortgage...?

TABING
December 16, 2005, 01:32 AM
I'm on wife # five, you do the math. (She was a martial arts instructor in the Peoples Liberation Army, China).

She can do things with a Makarov an SKS and an AK- 47 that would fill your heart with joy.

Crosshair
December 16, 2005, 01:49 AM
No Partying and lots of overtime when I can get it.

rick_reno
December 16, 2005, 02:02 AM
None, I have three guns - it doesn't take any sacrifices to support them.

Nematocyst
December 16, 2005, 02:05 AM
Two months ago, these were my choices:

* Washing machine, new laptop, & a large table for 10 in the conference room

OR

* Remington 870P, SW 642, CZ 452, SOG Seal Pup Elite, Benchmade Osborne.

Guess which group of choices won.

<Hint: check my user name>

Hey, I'm not as mobile with computing power, my clothes are not as clean as the 'average American', & I have to sit around folding tables with clients & students...

...BUT, I'm more prepared for SHTF/TEOTWAWKI (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=166972) than the average American.

And thank some diety for cheap canned beer. :D

Nem

Finch
December 16, 2005, 02:05 AM
I take a lot of time looking for the next big IPO, most recent being google....:banghead:

Standing Wolf
December 16, 2005, 02:18 AM
With deep reluctance, I've given up women who need to "borrow" a little here and there. I sorely miss the fibs, opportunities to bail their kids out of jail, demands, two-hour telephone conversations, screeching accusations of inattention, lies, more demands, and "honesty" sessions, but must admit guns, gadgets, and ammunition are some small consolation.

Black Majik
December 16, 2005, 02:32 AM
I download free music instead of buying cd's.

I call the people I care about to wish them happy birthday/merry christmas/ new yrs instead of giving a gift/card

I siphon gas outta my neighbor's cars in the early morning.

I coast my car around in neutral a lot to save gas.

I make the newbies i take to the range pay for the ammo.

I'm still on dial up

I'll settle for ramen in the morning and TOP ramen for the evenings

My bottle water of Arrowhead is really from the tap.

Salt and pepper fixes anything and everything you eat.

Rechargable batteries are your best friend.

Why have a security system when you have a 12 ga. aimed at the door already.

I screen my calls. If it ain't nights and weekends I'll call you later.

I check my tire pressures everytime at the gas station. Air in your tires means better gas mileage!

All my pens say some sort of sponsors on them. Autowerksexpress.com, Remax, Primerica etc...

Buy newspapers for $.25 and sell the rest for ammo money!

I live on a hill so I can coast my way down to the main street.

No tv, I listen to the radio.

I steal the bum's lit trash cans to heat my house.

I like the idea of free air.

I'll sometimes settle for soy milk.

Best marketing idea is 99 cent value meals. Only thing is driving there.

I read everyone's comments on the forum so I don't have to buy the books to the firearms.

I thought a quarterback was a cash back program

A date involves going to the range, and as stated earlier, newbies pay for ammo :D

I'm glad I haven't grown since highschool. All my clothes still fit.

You thought I post from home?! Ha, I'm using the library's money and electricity.

Believe it or not, they still recycle cans. And beer bottles.

If I'm gonna spoil myself to some alcohol, gimme the strongest thing you got. I need to get your money's worth.

A guitar can keep you mighty busy. No electricity to worry about you can play to your hearts content. If a string breaks' though, thats too bad. That's a 9mm value pack at wal-mart.

I don't have kids. They use up my firearms money

I don't need a gf. They use up my ammo money.

Oh yeah, sometimes I siphon the oil outta my neighbors cars to lube my guns.

My tires have 500000 tread life.

My car has so much dirt on it that washing it is just plain too expensive. I detail my cars at the gas station and use their squeegies.

Don't be scared of my shotglasses. They may be brass casing's, but they're clean :D

I found out fast food restaurants wont put the big mac I wanna buy on lay away.

I'm glad I know how to use chopsticks. Easy, cheap, and I can poke my food to eat em'.

Yeah, 3 months of ramen noodles can pay or my DROS fees + tax in California.

:evil:

Nematocyst
December 16, 2005, 03:09 AM
With deep reluctance, I've given up women who need to "borrow" a little here and there. I sorely miss the fibs, opportunities to bail their kids out of jail, demands, two-hour telephone conversations, screeching accusations of inattention, lies, more demands, and "honesty" sessions, but must admit guns, gadgets, and ammunition are some small consolation. I sense a strong element of sarcasm there.

Give me a woman shooter, or give me extra space in bed.

;)

Nem

cz75bdneos22
December 16, 2005, 03:20 AM
Though I'm not as pure as cz75bdneos22, I also have a pretty low-maintenance lifestyle, so that really frees me up in the finance dept. No TV, no microwave, try to avoid using heat or A/C, used car, trade CDs when I get tired of them.

I try and avoid owning things that I don't really, really want to own, so that makes it very easy to own the few things that I definitely want to own, like my soon-to-arrive Bushmaster Dissipator.

"No son pobres los que poco tienen, son pobres los que mucho desean"

("The poor are not those who have little, the poor are those who want much", from a 16thC. Spanish play)

-MV
matthew, hey bro...que play is that sig from...i agree totally...i'd like to read it..:cool:

cz75bdneos22
December 16, 2005, 03:22 AM
I'm on wife # five, you do the math. (She was a martial arts instructor in the Peoples Liberation Army, China).

She can do things with a Makarov an SKS and an AK- 47 that would fill your heart with joy.

oh, Yeah!!! he, he.....

LadySmith
December 16, 2005, 03:54 AM
I sacrifice sleep & collect jobs to support my gun habit. To me, "one handgun a month" is a compulsion, not a restriction.

Majic
December 16, 2005, 04:00 AM
I don't sacrifice nothing anymore, but I have been at this game for quite a while. I don't consider spending unless there is enough in the playtime savings fund which only gets a deposit when all the other bases have been covered.

Working Man
December 16, 2005, 06:25 AM
No Partying and lots of overtime when I can get it.

Amen! OT is good.... trust in the OT. :D

mtnbkr
December 16, 2005, 06:48 AM
We don't make sacrifices for guns, but we live a fairly frugal life that lets me afford my "hobby". We don't have cable, we don't drive new cars, etc.

Chris

ScottsGT
December 16, 2005, 08:38 AM
We have the money, but the wife won't approve of buying anymore. She doesn't understand the guy thing. "You don't need another gun!!" is all I ever hear from her.
Sooooooooo..... I do a lot of grocery shopping, walmarting, etc....
Cash back with the visa check, $20 to $40 at a time adds up another gun after a few months. :D

The Freeholder
December 16, 2005, 10:34 AM
I don't view them as sacrifices. They're choices.

Atticus
December 16, 2005, 10:40 AM
I sacrifice the additional love and admiration my wife would bestow upon me if I lavished her with jewelry...but I can live with that.

Seriously though, I have pretty simple tastes. I drive a 13 year old car and still have the most of the electronics (TV, stereo, etc) that I bought in in the early eighties. I generally don't buy new movies, music or books. I buy 50%, or more, of my clothes at Goodwill....and they are usually like new and include brands like Eddie Baur, Izod and Structure.

I recently bought an ATV, and I do find that to be in competition for gun $.
I'd like a new set of wheels and tires...but ended up getting a Sig instead.

Working Man
December 16, 2005, 11:05 AM

Thats funny, I had to buy 2 new tires instead of a P series Ruger. :mad:

poppy
December 16, 2005, 11:17 AM
I'm married to a gun-hating wife, so I bite my tongue when she buys clothes, shoes, and collector baskets.

I throw her a diamond once in a while, so she doesn't ask what else is in the gun safe.

I go with her to social functions that I don't like, so I can go to the next gun show.

Overall, not a terrible arrangement. poppy

Atticus
December 16, 2005, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus

Thats funny, I had to buy 2 new tires instead of a P series Ruger.

Just to clarify- New tires would be a priority for my car...I was referring to my ATV. :) Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

ID_shooting
December 16, 2005, 11:42 AM
second job, deliver pizzas nights/weekends

hso
December 16, 2005, 12:21 PM
I drive a 1998 135,000 mile vehicle so I don't have car payments so I can pay for the knife and gun habit.

Bridger
December 16, 2005, 12:36 PM
Well, despite being a college student, I don't drink or smoke or anything like that.

I avoid eating out.

I live at home, at least for a little longer, and mom's excellent dinners are free and good :D

I could probably use a new computer, but...eh

It gets pretty tough with the C&R license!

MatthewVanitas
December 16, 2005, 01:33 PM
Definition of sacrifice is give up a greater good for a lesser one

sac·ri·fice ( P ) Pronunciation Key (skr-fs)
n.

1) The act of offering something to a deity in propitiation or homage, especially the ritual slaughter of an animal or a person.

2) Forfeiture of something highly valued for the sake of one considered to have a greater value or claim.

3) Relinquishment of something at less than its presumed value.

Tequila_Sauer
December 16, 2005, 02:30 PM
As the other half of my name suggests, I'm a lover of that certain mexican agave wine. I'm a collector and avid taster of fine tequilas with a substantial little bar at my place. Since my love for firearms has grown, my tequila passion has had to downsize a tiny bit. I still collect, but not nearly at the pace I used to, and the more expensive tequilas I drink are now consumed less often, favoring instead, the cheaper $40-50 range.

My next firearm purchase is a Sig P220, so, needless to say, the tequila budget is being cut even more as of recent. It'll re-inflate though in the coming months.

PaulBk
December 16, 2005, 05:15 PM
I use poker winnings to finance all my firearm related purchases :D

-PB

MadMercS55
December 16, 2005, 05:34 PM
I don't really sacrifice anything to support my firearm hobby. I never buy a firearm unless the money is there for it. My wife and I both have decent jobs and both our vehicles are paid off so our overhead is realtively low in that area. Our mortgage isn't bad, and overall we usually have a fair amount of play money left at the end of each month. I don't believe in selling a firearm once I buy it, so that tends to make me research and be certain what I'm buying is something I can definatly live with. I'm the same way with cars, knives, etc, once I buy something I stick with it for the long haul and won't buy unless it works without the need to give up something else.

Moonclip
December 16, 2005, 05:37 PM
I amaze myself how much I can spend on guns even when I am a period of having a depressed income. Having a spouse or relative that is also in to guns helps. Also it helps a ot if you have the time,knowledge and enough gun and pawn shops around you to religiously look for gun deals. I have amazed myself at the delas I have got on guns I normally could not have afforded especially new I have done that way. You wil possibly eat up a lot of gas that way though.

Collect guns like military surplus weapons that tend to be, but not always are, especially if you get in to advanced collecting of them, cheaper than collecting other types of guns. Women are an expensive hobby I say and you generally don't have anything to show for it for the money you can spend on it. Therefore I generally limit my money spent there though I have a friend who loves strip joints, I only occasional go with him. Good way to waste money. As for friends, gfs, ect, guns tend to be a major repulsion for them anyways at least in my area! I am usually very quite in a relationship about how deeply I am in to the shooting sports for a long time.

If you can stand not owning a brand new car all the time and can get a reliable non fancy used model, not having a car payment and new car insurance helps a lot too.

Ex-MA Hole
December 16, 2005, 06:11 PM
This may be too much personal info, but deal...

I stopped drinking over two years ago. When I have an urge to start, I look in my safe. THAT is my scotch money. It has bought all my guns but one. I don't have many, but I have enough.*

Makes the lack of booze much easier...

It was not really a sacrifice to stop, more of a save my liver/ marriage/ health and job decision. Besides, guns are more fun...

*Ok, I don't REALLY have enough, there is ALWAYS room for more...

VARifleman
December 16, 2005, 06:27 PM
I don't drink, smoke, or anything like that. I don't go to clubs and rarely eat out. I very rarely bother to go on dates, and just yesterday I started working as a helper for a boiler repair company. It's pretty hard...

Zaire
December 16, 2005, 07:44 PM
I too don't drink or smoke. I work in apartment maintenance for a 43 acre development and live on site. The pay is good, but with 2 kids its not great. I love when it snows, because that is overtime. Last Thursday night I worked from 11pm to 5am on the Gator plowing snow. $135 easy bucks. I also am supposed to charge $50 for after hours lock outs, but generally do it for much less, try $10-$15 bucks. I have done a few for free when there are kids/cold involved. I also get a lot of overtime during the summer mowing grass. Made over $3500 in OT between May and October this year. Good thing is, its a 75 yard walk to work. That means no gas, family is close, and I can go home whenever I want to check in or whatever. I buy 2 guns a year. Tax time and bonus time. The rest goes for ammo and accessories.

NMshooter
December 16, 2005, 08:05 PM
I have no debt.

None at all, not even a little on a credit card.

No girlfriend, do not go out often socially, you get the picture.

Already own most of the guns I want, the rest will have to wait until they are in production or the NFA goes away.

Spend a lot of money on ammo, if you buy bulk it is often cheaper than reloading.:D

Now if I could find a girlfriend who liked to shoot, we could split ammo purchases...:D

Nematocyst
December 16, 2005, 10:54 PM
I have no debt. +1. Ain't it great? As long as we've got our noses clean, there's NOTHING the system can do to us in that case. Ah, I feel so clean.

No girlfriend, do not go out often socially, you get the picture. Yeah, picture firmly in focus. +1.

Already own most of the guns I want... I'd like to add something in .30. .30/30? .30-06? .308? Lever? Bolt? Don't know. Just something in .30.

Now if I could find a girlfriend who liked to shoot, we could split ammo purchases...:D If you find her, and she's got a sister or a friend, please let me know.

Green chiles got put on hold, my friend. This studio project has eaten my lunch for now. But hey, the Thai chiles ain't that bad. Not NM green, admittedly, but at least they burn when going down. :evil:

Hey, say hello to that big granite in the Sandia's for me.

Nem

age_ranger
December 16, 2005, 11:50 PM
I haven't sacrificed anything, but i'd be willing to sacrifice my wifes trips to Target. There goes $100 every time. Seems like any time I want to go shooting, she goes to Target and WHAM!!! $100 smackers~! I try to explain that if she'd curb her spending I could buy 1000 rounds of 9mm for that. I'm willing to sacrifice her shopping trips. It's the least I can do :)

Nematocyst
December 16, 2005, 11:52 PM
I haven't sacrificed anything, but i'd be willing to sacrifice my wifes trips to Target. To quote the popular anti-addiction phrase of the Reagan era {that didn't work}, "Just say no."

Thrash1982
December 16, 2005, 11:55 PM
Over the last few years while I've been in college I've managed to collect a few guns. The rents have been paying for my school (yeah, i'm one of the lucky ones) so most of the money I earn working over the summers and during school go towards guns and the accessories thereof. Never been much of a drinker so I was never spending money on that. Haven't had a girlfriend for a few years so no money spent on dates and the like. And now that I've got a job I'll be able to afford my new truck, apartment, insurance, utilities and MORE GUNS :)

Nematocyst
December 17, 2005, 12:04 AM
Ah, three pages of sacrifices.

Bump.

Nem

one45auto
December 17, 2005, 01:12 AM
double post, sorry

one45auto
December 17, 2005, 01:16 AM
1) I cut my own hair.

2) I drive the same 96' Nissan I bought brand new.

3) I perform all my vehicle maintenance - buying my parts at cost through a friend with connections.

4) I do my own home remodeling and repairs.

5) I eat very little, living off ham and eggs almost exclusively. I don't mind eating the same thing every day. :)

6) I don't smoke.

7) I take first dates out for a quiet stroll, quick drink or coffee. Dinners are for later on if things work out. ;)

8) I don't shop at the mall and avoid stores for the most part.

9) I buy all my clothes, CD's, books, and DVD's secondhand.

10) I don't watch television. Just crappy "reality" shows anyway....bah. :mad:

11) I use 15-watt bulbs in all my lamps and burn only one or two at a time.

12) I use fans in summer, not the air conditioning.

bigun15
December 17, 2005, 01:49 AM
Don't be scared of my shotglasses. They may be brass casing's, but they're clean
Now THAT is a good idea. I know some people who could really appreciate that.

natedog
December 17, 2005, 01:57 AM
Ramen.

Nematocyst
December 17, 2005, 01:59 AM
1) I cut my own hair. One of the best money saving devices I ever invested in was $30 for a professional hair trimmer. Saves $30 every month X 12/yr.

I do my own home remodeling and repairs. Learning that tactic now thanks to the tutalege of a carpenter, insulator, sheet rock hanger. Still don't understand electricity & plumbing, but i do know how to light a lantern & a camp stove, and can still pee in the woods.

I eat very little, living off ham and eggs almost exclusively. I don't mind eating the same thing every day. :) Salt cured ham & free range eggs rock.

If I can't get salt cured ham, please give me hickory smoked bbq. (Hey, I grew up in Memphis, home of hickory smoked bbq.)

I use 15-watt bulbs in all my lamps and burn only one or two at a time. I'm with you there. I'm often amazed at how much light the average American seems to need/want. Hundreds of watts at once.

What's the point? Burn only what you need at the space/time you need it. All other photons are wasted.

I use fans in summer, not the air conditioning. Same for me in winter.

The thermometer in my studio right now reads ~41*F. I'm wearing 4 layers, including fingerless gloves (to allow typing) saving $ for ammo for the 12 ga, 9, 22, & 38...

Nem

Justin
December 17, 2005, 02:04 AM
I do my best to avoid paying retail for any firearms or accessories. Used is good.

I don't buy many movies or DVD's new. Usually second hand.

Buy clothes at Ross.

Do most grocery and other shopping at places like Wal*Mart.

Brown bag lunch to work as often as possible. (I've found that a crock-pot is a big help in this regard- throw all the ingredients in on Sunday night. By Monday morning, voilá, all you have to do is seperate the contents out into seperate tupperware containers, and you're ready to go.)

The only reason I don't dump my gas-guzzling V8 is because it's completely paid for.

I believe in living below one's means, even if it means I don't own a plasma screen tv, etc.

Nematocyst
December 17, 2005, 02:10 AM
(I've found that a crock-pot is a big help in this regard- throw all the ingredients in on Sunday night. By Monday morning, voil&#225;, all you have to do is seperate the contents out into seperate tupperware containers, and you're ready to go.) Crockpots are (to the modern bachelor) the next best thing to wasabe.

Some garlic, onion, beef/chicken/tofu in a chicken bullion stock. Don't forget olive oil.

Add beans, then corn, celery & bay leaf.

Lastly, add potatoes or polenta & greens (turnip, kale, spinach...).

Put in a tsp of salt, pepper to taste.

For a treat, add cumin & chile.

Cook for > 5 hrs.

"Ding".

Lunch anyone?

Um, um good.

Nem

Cosmoline
December 17, 2005, 03:35 AM
I just never buy furniture from the stores. I get what I need cheap from lawn sales. New furniture costs more than rifles these days--it's scary.

Matthew748
December 17, 2005, 07:01 AM
I am a pretty thrifty fellow by nature so that helps my personal cash flow situation a lot. I am not big on spending money on disposable goods or services. The only non-essential service that I am willing to drop a fair chunk of change on is internet service, and that pays for itself in more ways than one.

From January 1 to April 15 I work a lot of extra hours. I segregate the incremental earnings on a spreadsheet and label it my gun fund. The extra money allows me to purchase one expensive gun ($1000+), a scope if need be, pay all of my various gun related dues, and take a no-frills trip somewhere.

Rembrandt
December 17, 2005, 07:31 AM
I'm so cheap....I only buy used guns.

(Hummm?...last one was $4K...excuse me, while I re-think this approach)

Working Man
December 17, 2005, 07:38 AM
Ramen.

I was waiting for the student meal deal. :D

Ramen, its what's for dinner..... and lunch.... and breakfast... snack..

donkee
December 17, 2005, 07:48 AM
With deep reluctance, I've given up women who need to "borrow" a little here and there. I sorely miss the fibs, opportunities to bail their kids out of jail, demands, two-hour telephone conversations, screeching accusations of inattention, lies, more demands, and "honesty" sessions, but must admit guns, gadgets, and ammunition are some small consolation.

+1 Standingwolf!

jer1949
December 17, 2005, 09:35 AM
Not eating out, sending cards instead of gifts to worthless relatives. :neener:

Amen to THAT, bro.....

I have a side business that nets me a sizeable peice of change each year so I really don't give up much toward my slckness. That's my gun money. In as much as my wife is semi gun nut also, there is little marital pain associated with gun purchases.

MDG1976
December 17, 2005, 09:42 AM
I drive a beat up 4 cylinder car because it's paid for and I brown bag it everyday. Other than that, I don't make too many sacrifices. I work too hard and life's too short!

Dave Dembinski
December 17, 2005, 10:42 AM
Um, furniture. I have a bed, a chair, and TWO lamps! What more does a single guy need? :neener:

I also live about 5 minutes from work, so I just go home every day for lunch. Much cheaper than even Mickey D's, and with my little Honda the gas to do it is almost a non-issue.

Nematocyst
December 17, 2005, 11:53 AM
I also live about 5 minutes from work, so I just go home every day for lunch. Much cheaper than even Mickey D's, and with my little Honda the gas to do it is almost a non-issue. Similar for me, actually.

I have a residence of sorts (shared housing with friends), but I also have sleeping quarters at my business. (I work nights, usually, and don't always want to ride my bike home in the rain in December, so often sleep at the studio. I'm also the defacto night watchman.)

Thus, my driving costs are very low since I can wake up and work. I have cooking gear here also, so little need to run out for fast food. (This is faster.)

I think that as peak oil continues to slam into us in coming years, such a lifestyle - combined work/residence situations - will become more common place out of necessity. I know for some - e.g., steel workers or miners - that isn't possible, but it's a workable solution for many more than take advantage of it now (like small business owners).

For now, it leaves more money for weapons.

Nem

tuckerdog1
December 17, 2005, 12:00 PM
I just have to justify it to the wife. Friends that golf or restore cars spend way more than I do on guns. This is really an inexpensive hobby in comparrison. Honest :D

thebaldguy
December 17, 2005, 01:01 PM
Drink cheap beer. Expensive beer occasionally.
Buy cheaper liquor in the 1.75L economy size bottle.
Don't eat/drink out as much. I'm a great cook and the supermarket is a better deal.
Keep cars for a while. Both of ours are paid off and run fine.
Use coupons.
Avoid expensive clothes. I shop at Target and even Wal Mart sometimes. Military surplus stores are good places to find good winter jackets.
Buy items in bulk, especially ammo.
Generic food items. Brand X is usually just as good.
Kiss the signifigant other more often for entertainment. It works for me!
Pay bills with debit/credit cards to save stamps.
Pay bills on time to avoid late fees.
Cut back on cable/satellite tv packages. Clean your guns for evening entertainment.
Get a second/part time job. Work builds character. Maybe get a job at a gunshop?

Did I mention kissing the signifigant other more often for entertainment?

HAHAHAHAHA

Optimistic Paranoid
December 18, 2005, 03:51 PM
I've taken a second, part time job at a gunstore.

More specifically, a Gander Mountain that opened in my neck of the woods about a year ago.

The pay is only so-so, prevailing area wages for retail help, but the employee discounts are killer!

Plus, we get to cherry pick over the trade ins before we put them out for sale to you regular people!:)

The company was awesomely impressed by the vast store of gun knowledge I've built up over the years, and is willing to pay me to hang out in a gun store, play with all the neat toys, and talk guns with other gun owners! Can't beat it!

CleverNickname
December 18, 2005, 04:42 PM
I'd be driving a much nicer car if I wasn't into guns.

CZ-100
December 18, 2005, 05:12 PM
Sacrifices.... I go to work everyday, thats bad enough :neener:

The Goose
December 18, 2005, 05:49 PM
I am in my mid fifties. I own a fairly successful business and my wife and I do not have any children. I make a decent living and we live well. We travel, eat out and generally do what we want. I have a certain amount of disposable income and since getting into guns and shooting the dispersement of that disposable income has changed. Guns have deeply impacted my cigar budget. I have been a cigar fanatic for approaching forty years. My passion is vintage Cuban cigars. When I was younger my goal was to always have a substantial stock of Cuban cigars and to never smoke anything with less then five years of aging. I have achieved that goal.However, I have not bought a box of cigars in over two years. Any disposable income goes into guns and shooting. I used to spend all of my free time on cigar forums. I knew the best dealers and deals. I knew where and when to buy. Now I go to sites like this one. At times I feel a touch of panic when I realize that I have been out of the cigar market, but then I remember that if I never buy another cigar I will still have several thousand when I die. Priorities change. LOL!!

MDG1976
December 18, 2005, 06:25 PM
Guns have deeply impacted my cigar budget.
:D Great line!

sm
December 18, 2005, 06:55 PM
What guns?
What habit?

I run some errands, in return I get a paperweight, corner decoration and doorstop. some folks might calls these handguns, long-guns and ammo

Wives and Kids? Just recently borrowed someone else's, sent them back to Hubby/ daddy...let them hit his wallet up for firearms, training, ammo...

I'm the uncle they warn you about - especially if your kid adopts me. For instance...

I can barter my time to teach a seven y/o to shoot and his mom. I get a "Happy Meal", and all the .22rimfire brass. trust me, the kid did not leave any on the ground, and my extra tennis shoes seems like a great place to put them.

I'd say I made out like a bandit. ;)

jamz
December 18, 2005, 07:12 PM
I dress in a suit that I got off a dead homeless guy and go into corporate marketing events for food.

I don't call anyone, I just write them instead. I use pencils from the library, and write on the margins of books that look disused. Instead of stamps, I stuff them in the front bumpers of mail trucks that go where the letter needs to.

I don't use electric lights, or kerosene lamps. I refract some sunlight with shiny rocks when I have to. I keep my eyes closed most of the time.

I don't live in a house or apartment, I make do with an empty toilet paper tube in the middle of the street. I chose a tube that was actually *on fire* because it was cheaper.

top THAT

Ala Dan
December 18, 2005, 07:23 PM
I gave up smoking in 1988, never have been a drink'er or doper, curtailed
most sporting events such as MLB; along with the minor league stuff~!:uhoh:

Did I mention "wild women"? I've got the only one of those I really need.:D

one45auto
December 18, 2005, 11:45 PM
Crockpots are (to the modern bachelor) the next best thing to wasabe.

Forget the crockpots.....you want something good and quick try a fried balogna sandwich. Mmmm..... those puppies are good. :)

GRB
December 18, 2005, 11:52 PM
None.

yy
December 18, 2005, 11:58 PM
I've given up nothing for my firearms "habit". :evil:

Or is it that nothing is a sacrifice when it comes to my "habit?":neener:

one45auto
December 19, 2005, 12:18 AM
Wives and Kids? Just recently borrowed someone else's....

I've likewise "borrowed" a few in my time, also. ;)

Now, just to keep it gun related let me tell you a quick story...

One woman's husband regrettably found out about me through her carelessness but was a gun owner himself and as it turned out we shared many of the same opinions/tastes/etc. Well....all except for his Ruger semi-autos. I never have liked those. Anyway....he never once threatened or harrassed me, in fact after getting to know me better he actually told her that I had my head screwed on right. Of course it goes without saying that I had to forgo her company after that, but no big deal. We called it even.

On the other hand her next...ahem..."boyfriend" was an anti-gun, Bush-bashing, military-hating rabid leftist. Needless to say her husband didn't like him one darned bit and from what I hear he's still running scared. :D

bad LT
December 19, 2005, 12:57 AM
Breakfast = Ramen and an egg

Lunch = Ramen and lunchmeat

Dinner = Ramen, lunchmeat, egg and frozen vegitables

Can't wait to get out of collage and start earning $$ so I can get good food and ammo. Guess which one I choose now:D ?

Nematocyst
December 19, 2005, 01:20 AM
Forget the crockpots.....you want something good and quick try a fried balogna sandwich. Mmmm..... those puppies are good. :) When I was a teen working in my dad's gas station (back in the day of full service), and saving for my hunting guns, I fell into a habit of eating saus sandwiches.

If you've never had the pleasure of eating saus :scrutiny: , it was the cheapest lunch meat at the deli counter: all the parts of the animal left over after making baloney, chopped up and added to a jelly of sorts along with spices.

They cut the saus, put it on white bread, added hot sauce and called it a sandwich.

Even though it was cheap and mostly tasty, I still shudder to think what parts I was eating. :what:

Nem

losangeles
December 19, 2005, 02:28 AM
What sacrifices?

Food, shelter, ...

biere
December 19, 2005, 11:15 AM
Research frugal and simple living.

Learn to have the knowledge, skills, and tools to take care of you and your possessions by yourself.

I would still call a repairman for ac or big furnace work, but I can most likely know if I need to call them or not and save myself some money by doing the easier stuff myself.

I do not consider doing the above to be a sacrifice. I simply spend my money where it does me the most good and having these skills allows me to know when I am dealing with an incompetant repairman.

Simply working more hours for things you don't really need is not the best use of my time since a lot of that money goes towards taxes and other things instead of into my pocket.

I work hard to keep as much of my money as I can legally keep. Doing this lets me make the most of my hours at work and also lets me work fewer hours so I have more time to go hiking or shooting or fishing.

What you call a sacrifice seems to simply be me deciding on a better use for my time and money I already earned.

I used to work a lot of overtime to cover the cell phone bill, extra car and extra truck, and cable bill, and all sorts of other luxuries. I no longer work overtime and I no longer have any of those things.

I do have more time to make better use of the money I already earned. I consider that a fair trade at the worst.

Red Tornado
December 19, 2005, 11:54 AM
If you've never had the pleasure, it was the cheapest lunch meat at the deli counter: all the parts of the animal left over after making baloney, chopped up and added to a jelly of sorts along with spices

Nem,
No matter how you slice it, souse is just head cheese by another name. :neener: I think it's actually all the stuff that's too disgusting to go into potted meat. Basically, when the pig is completely used, boil the scraps and whatever floats to the top is (head cheese) souse.

Yes, I've tried it, but it's been a long time. :barf:

BTW, did you prefer the round souse or the square souse?

RT

Nematocyst
December 19, 2005, 12:20 PM
BTW, did you prefer the round souse or the square souse? LOL.

You know, it's been so long that I can't remember.

But based on the fact that my town was fairly conservative, I suspect is was square.;)

Nem

NMshooter
December 19, 2005, 07:56 PM
Worse than potted meat???:what:

I have eaten some strange stuff, but not that strange.;)

Matter of fact that makes chorizo look like prime rib.

I love chorizo.:D

cz75bdneos22
December 19, 2005, 08:23 PM
Worse than potted meat???:what:

I have eaten some strange stuff, but not that strange.;)

Matter of fact that makes chorizo look like prime rib.

I love chorizo.:D

Chorizo with refried beans on a flour tortilla with shredded cheese and sliced dilled jalapenos...uuhmm!!priceless!:D

Nematocyst
December 19, 2005, 08:25 PM
Chorizo with refried beans on a flour tortilla with shredded cheese...priceless!:D I like eggs with mine. <drools>

Nem

If you enjoyed reading about "What sacrifices do you make to pay for your firearms habit?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!