Hi all!

PDA

cosine
December 16, 2005, 12:34 AM
Hi all!

I've been lurking here almost everyday for about 6 months, and finally decided to join and introduce myself.

To keep this gun related, this is my firearms wish list: (I don't own any guns yet; I'm only 17, and my parents are not anti-gun but don't own any firearms)

An inexpensive .22 semi-automatic pistol for training and plinking

A .357 snubbie revolver

A 9mm semi-automatic pistol

A bolt-action rifle

A military-style semi-automatic rifle

A shotgun

This is a great site! I've learned much lurking, and hope to learn more as a member. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi all!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GregGry
December 16, 2005, 12:38 AM
Hello there, fellow person from Milwaukee Wisconsin :D Its good to see fellow area people joining. Thats quite a good list you have there, well rounded. Make yourself comfortable, stay a while, and use the search feature lots (you can find an answer to just about anything). My only advice is that you quickly either join the Glock pistol side, or the JMB 1911 side of things. Once you decide that, everything is on the smooth road to freedom :D BTW, you should talk your parents into bringing you to the shooters shop on 84th street in west allis. With having them present, you can fire off any of their many handguns..

oneslowgun
December 16, 2005, 12:52 AM
Welcome! And don't go belivein' you gotta be "In one camp or the other" :) Ten years ago, I bought both a G21, and a Colt commander on the same day, at the same place. I have even put them in the safe side-by-side... nary a problem. :what:

cosine
December 16, 2005, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the welcome, GregGry. I decided to join after reading the threads about progress towards CCW in WI.

I've driven past the Shooter's Shop on 84th street many times. Isn't fellow THR member Monkeyleg connected with it in some manner?

edit: Thanks for the welcome too, osg. (posted while I was typing reply)

cosine
December 16, 2005, 12:59 AM
My only advice is that you quickly either join the Glock pistol side, or the JMB 1911 side of things. Once you decide that, everything is on the smooth road to freedom :D

And don't go belivein' you gotta be "In one camp or the other" Ten years ago, I bought both a G21, and a Colt commander on the same day, at the same place. I have even put them in the safe side-by-side... nary a problem.

I don't know about either... readin' on the internet has seemed to draw me towards Sig pistols and Taurus revolvers??? :D

Nematocyst
December 16, 2005, 01:12 AM
An inexpensive .22 semi-automatic pistol for training and plinking

A .357 snubbie revolver

A 9mm semi-automatic pistol

A bolt-action rifle

A military-style semi-automatic rifle

A shotgun Cosine, welcome to THR.

As a person with a college degree in mathematics, I like your handle.

Nice wish list. May I suggest a slight reordering? Your choice of course. This ordering fits my own bias, but may be worth considering.

.22 pistol for training is an excellent choice to start, but why limit yourself to semi-auto. A revolver could be the best for learning that double action trigger pull, and to develop discipline.

I'd put the 9 mm in front of the .357. Seems a logical step up in recoil, and regardless of what the .45 geeks in THR will try to tell you, is a fine, fine gun.

I'd go with a bolt action next. Your choice of caliber. (I just bought a CZ 452 .22 LR for small game.)

Oh, wait. Your next one could be the shotgun. I started with a 20 at age 14, then moved up to a 16. I just got my 12 at age 55. My user name reflects that I'm most fond of my shottie, even over my 9, 22 & 38.

I'm not inclined towards a 'military style' rifle. Not saying you shouldn't be, but I'm not qualified to make any recommendation, so I won't.

Anyway, just thinking out loud here.

Hang out. Ask LOTS of questions. I'd recommend lurking only in the legal/political forum for a while. (There be dragons.) Stick to guns.

See you around, Cosine. ;)

Nem

cosine
December 16, 2005, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the advise of gun progression, Nematocyst-870.

I'd put the 9 mm in front of the .357. Seems a logical step up in recoil, and regardless of what the .45 geeks in THR will try to tell you, is a fine, fine gun.

I've already read many of the 9mm vs. .45 arguments. It's like :confused:, and then :D.

For some unexplainable reason, cosine is my favorite trig function. :scrutiny:

Nematocyst
December 16, 2005, 01:26 AM
I've already read many of the 9mm vs. .45 arguments. It's like :confused:, and then :D. I predict that you are going to do well here. ;)

For some unexplainable reason, cosine is my favorite trig function. :scrutiny: For me, it's all about being the contrarian to the sine function: what ever sine does, cosine does the opposite.

Not sure that's an 'explanation', but seems to relate to the way I live my life. :evil:

Still, sometime when you've got some extra reading time, check out power law distributions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_law), AKA 1/f.

Different beasts entirely. :cool:

Nem

cz75bdneos22
December 16, 2005, 03:31 AM
was up!! how's the snow storm up there...it's nice and 60ish over here...:neener: just right to take my baby to the range...to me sounds like the bang, bangs get louder the colder it gets...:scrutiny: i couldn't take it (cold) up there...YMMV welcome on board...;)

Nematocyst
December 16, 2005, 03:39 AM
was up!! how's the snow storm up there...it's nice and 60ish over here...:neener: But, of course, you folks had to deal with Mss. Katrina & Rita, where as we in the northern latitudes did not. ;)

:neener:

Nem

AnthonyRSS
December 16, 2005, 10:46 AM
I think anyone who has a favorite trig function is slightly strange... I'm an ME major, so I reckon I AM strange. Oh well.

poppy
December 16, 2005, 11:06 AM
Hey cosine and welcome. Being an engineer myself, I too like your handle.

I concur with those who suggest adding a DA revolver high on the list.

My first rifle as a young man was a lever action .22 (the cowboy thing, you know). My second was a semiauto. I never saw the point of bolt action, not being a hunter, but to each his own.

Hopefully you can start you collection when you turn 18, including handguns. I don't know the WI laws, but others do. Good luck. poppy

Working Man
December 16, 2005, 11:10 AM
Welcome to THR, just remember the golden rule...

When in doubt... buy both. :evil:

cosine
December 16, 2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the welcomes! and the...
just remember the golden rule...

When in doubt... buy both. :evil:
sound advice! :D :D

Jubei
December 16, 2005, 11:32 AM
Welcome cosine, from 1 state south of you.

Jubei

mbs357
December 16, 2005, 11:34 AM
either join the Glock pistol side, or the JMB 1911 side of things.
Ignore him, join the CZ side. =o

AnthonyRSS
December 16, 2005, 11:41 AM
CZ doesn't even have a side. I shot a 75 last week and they are prety sweet, if thats your thing.

mbs357
December 16, 2005, 12:36 PM
You're right.
CZ doesn't have a side.
It has a whole country. =X

(Really! It's a small one...but eh. >_>)

Lebben-B
December 16, 2005, 12:54 PM
Hi Cosine,

I'm new here myself, so welcome. I'm sure you'll find a lot of goodness here.

I am a ".45 geek" and have been since I was your age. That said, you shoot what you want. If you like it and it gets the job done for you, more power to you. Again, welcome to the High Road.

Mike

GoBrush
December 16, 2005, 08:53 PM
Congrats:

Best idea take you parents with you and get them shooting as well. One of the most important things you can do is to continue educating yourself. Education is power! This is an informal setting I also incourage a formal setting. Go take a hunters safety course or basic NRA course. I dont hunt any more dont have a real drive to but you can learn very good gun handleing and shooting basics. I would also encourage you reading, there are tons of good books on guns. I would start with two. More Guns Less Crime, and The Best Defense.

I think it is wonderful that a young guy like you has the desire to join the shooting sports family. Educate yourself and recruit others.

Good luck and enjoy THR

Black Majik
December 16, 2005, 08:58 PM
welcome aboard cosine

btw, you forgot to add a 1911 in your want to get list :)

NMshooter
December 16, 2005, 09:11 PM
Welcome!

Now you need to convince your folks to let you go shooting.

A lot.

After a few thousand rounds through assorted firearms you will start to figure out what to buy, I would suggest waiting until then.

And have fun!:D

Nematocyst
December 16, 2005, 11:03 PM
Wow.

I've not seen this kind of welcome on THR for a newby in a while.

Black Magic, NMShooter & Lebben-B showed up.

Cosine, note that Shooter lives in the 'desert SW' where I used to live. Awesome landscapes.

Lebben-B is on the way home from Iraq, which also has some awesome landscapes (even if under stress that no human of 20th century USA can relate to, such that those awesome landscapes may be overlooked).

Dude, we're glad you're here.

Nem

cosine
December 16, 2005, 11:09 PM
Wow.

I've not seen this kind of welcome on THR for a newby in a while.

Dude, we're glad you're here.

Nem

Wow! I leave for a few hours, and more come to say hi. Thanks everybody for the welcome. :) :)

Nematocyst
December 16, 2005, 11:15 PM
I never saw the point of bolt action, not being a hunter, but to each his own. Hey, Poppy, I wondered about that bolt, also, until I asked about it recently on THR.

I was considering which .22 LR to buy. Was thinking Ruger 10/22. Then I posted that I was going to use said gun mostly for 'small game'.

Someone pointed out that the bolt action would develop considerably more 'pressure' in the chamber than a semi-auto, thus pushing mr. bullet faster, further and with greater accuracy than a semi-auto.

I bought a CZ-452 (http://www.cz-usa.com/01.detail.php?id=6) as a result.

It's at my gun shop. Been too busy to pick it up yet, but it's there.

Can't wait to shoot it.

I may buy a Remington 700 XCR (http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_XCR.asp) in 30 ought as well, but I'm out of $ this year. :(

OTOH, it could be a Rem 7600 (http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_7600.asp) in .308, which is a pump like my 870P, but who can say?

Maybe next year, eh?

Nem

MountainPeak
December 16, 2005, 11:18 PM
Welcome, glad to see you aren't from Texas! :) Times have changed I guess. When I was your age, I had been shooting firearms for 12 years. Owned at least 8, and had purchased several by myself. Of course, that was several decades ago. Many will tell you what a great SPORT firearm ownership/shooting is. That's fine, but target the most important thing. It's a RIGHT! Consider it, right up there with "living" and "freedom". Because it is!!

poppy
December 16, 2005, 11:43 PM
Thank you Nematosyst, for making my point. Like I said, I am not a hunter, so hence, no need for the bolt action. poppy

Mot45acp
December 16, 2005, 11:47 PM
Welcome to THR. I am new to this site as well. I have learned more in the last 2 1/2 months than the last 3 years. One of the most important things I have learned: If you cant find the answer here, there will be someone who can point you in the right direction. Best of luck

Nematocyst
December 16, 2005, 11:47 PM
Thank you Nematosyst, for making my point. Like I said, I am not a hunter, so hence, no need for the bolt action. poppy Hey, you're welcome, Poppy. Glad to help.

Best,

Nem

El Tejon
December 17, 2005, 08:03 AM
Welcome to THR, young man.:)

1911 guy
December 17, 2005, 08:20 AM
Welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy your stay as much as I'm enjoying mine. (As I belch loudly and ask for another sandwich and beer)

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi all!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!