NRA Or Not

PDA

Mot45acp
December 16, 2005, 07:20 PM
Ok this is my first time with a thread. Are you a member of the NRA? If so why? Do you choose not to be a member? Why?

Me I choose not. Reason: I dont feel I need to pay to join a organization to have a hobby. I agree with a lot they do, but i also disagree with some of the stuff they do. Then there is the $$$ issue they take in a lot of revenue but thier output doesnt justify it (IMHO) so I wonder who is getting all the $$$?
All input even if you disagree with me 100% are apreciated. Heck you may even change my mind.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA Or Not" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Justin
December 16, 2005, 07:22 PM
Absolutely.

Not only are they the governing body for more than one form of competitive shooting, they also engage in teaching people proper firearms handling, and lobby on the behalf of all gunowners.

No, they aren't perfect, but every gun owner should be a member of the NRA at the very least.

WT
December 16, 2005, 07:29 PM
I think this subject comes up on THR every 3 months or so.

Mot45acp
December 16, 2005, 07:43 PM
Sorry i didnt know this was a common subject. I havent really dug through the archives. But comments are apreciated. I am addicted to THR it took me months to find a site like this. Not a fan of the other site AR!$.com and TFL never approved or denied me for membership, so I dont visit any more.

slzy
December 16, 2005, 07:47 PM
i have had my doubts why we need a lobby to maintain our rights,but after the Brazil referendum,where the gun grabbers attributed their defeat to the NRA,i am happy and proud to be a life member.

rick_reno
December 16, 2005, 07:50 PM
I'm not a member. On my fixed VA disability (Vietnam vet) I don't have enough money this year to join. I was a member last year, but with gas/etc. prices where they there is no way I can afford it. I assure you, if I had $25 in disposable income I'd be a member in a minute. Sometimes neighbors/friends give me a magazine or two, I read them cover to cover.

jpmc
December 16, 2005, 07:50 PM
Donated $1500 this year and still get 2 or 3 calls a week. This is getting old. Seems like every time someone says they don't like guns, I get an emergency call telling me they need more money. Besides that, I didn't get my magazine for the last 2 months. Thats my whine,and I'm sticking to it.:cuss:

aerod1
December 16, 2005, 07:51 PM
Yes, I am a PROUD member of the NRA. Is the NRA perfect? No. Neither is my church or my union, but I still give my money. The NRA is the strongest organization in the world protecting the rights of gun owners. I really believe, were it not for the NRA, we would not enjoy our gun rights, as we know them today. The anti gun lobby is a well funded group. We must fight dollars with dollars. Yes, I gladly give money to the NRA and the TSRA (an NRA affiliate)!
Mot45acp,
I obviously disagree with your stance (or lack thereof). IMHO, if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

Respectfully,

Jim

MountainPeak
December 16, 2005, 07:52 PM
The correct answer is, OF COURSE!

TexasRifleman
December 16, 2005, 07:53 PM
I dont feel I need to pay to join a organization to have a hobby.

Some of us don't feel like the Second Amendment is a hobby.

If all shooting and firarms are to you are hobbies, then I feel sorry for you that you don't have a greater understanding of the history and politics of the nation in which you live and how firearms and the Second Amendment relate to that.

So, you just stay out of NRA, and those of us that believe this is all more than a hobby will continue to support and protect YOUR rights. We don't mind, we've been doing it for years anyway.

MatthewVanitas
December 16, 2005, 07:54 PM
I dont feel I need to pay to join a organization to have a hobby

Do you consider the NRA to be a hobby organization, or a Civil Rights organization?

So far as political bang for your buck, the very fact that anti-gunners consider the NRA to be Mother of All Abominations goes a long way towards convincing me. There are other organizations which do good work, which I also support, but the NRA is the major lobbyist for gun rights in the U.S. Every time anti-gun legislation fails, or pro-gun legislation goes through, the newspapers are filled with "it's the NRA's fault" rants. How many folks can even name the lobbying groups that push big money for oil, agriculture, manufacturing? Yet the group who represents gun owners, not the gun industry (which is lobbied by the NSSF), is a household name.

What is it that you find objectionable about the NRA? Does this disinterest have a political component?

It is unfortunate that the NRA has a right-wing reputation. On tons of Democratic Underground discussion boards, you will see people posting "I own several pistols and rifles, but I would never, ever join the NRA." And these aren't necessarily "duck-hunting shotgun" owners either, but pro-2A folks who are ticked that the NRA supports anti-drug, anti-abortion, anti-social welfare politicians.

The NRA has supported pro-gun Democratics, have they not? It's very tricky to not come across as partisan when the vast majority of politicians supporting the 2A are in the Republican party.

I'd be interested to hear the details of your objections to the NRA.

-MV

Lupinus
December 16, 2005, 07:56 PM
Cash has been extremely short so right now my support of my rights is yelling at the tv while I have CSPAN on :D

But seriously they are a good thing. They may not do all I think they could, heck the ACLU seems to send a lawyer everytime someone gets ticked off about a cross be cool if everytime someone got stuck in court for defending themselves an organization sent them a lawyer too. But they are the good guys and one of the few things standing between you and the gun grabbers.

jeremywills
December 16, 2005, 07:58 PM
The only reason I joined was that Taurus USA provided a free one year membership with my Millenium Pro 9mm handgun purchase, I figured this was a way to check it out, see what if anything it was beneficial to me, after the one year, I may or may not continue with it, for free I figured why not. I have yet to recieve the stuff in the mail so I can not comment on it at this time however. I hope its worth my effort. From what I understand it will be. Anyone willing to help protect my rights is an ally in my book.

Lupinus
December 16, 2005, 08:01 PM
I do hear though that they do ask for extra money....ALOT. But I also hear that you can call them and be put on some sorta list so they wont send you mail as much.

Rembrandt
December 16, 2005, 08:03 PM
2nd Amendment is constantly under assault, you can either help protect it or watch it fade away. While others like to ride in the comfort of the wagon, I choose to help pull the wagon to insure it's there for my grandchildren. LIfe NRA and proud of it.

antsi
December 16, 2005, 08:05 PM
Reason: I dont feel I need to pay to join a organization to have a hobby.

Firearms ownership is an important freedom, not just a hobby. There are people actively working to take away that freedom. Even if it's just a hobby to you, recognize that it is something that you could lose.

Then there is the $$$ issue they take in a lot of revenue but thier output doesnt justify it (IMHO) so I wonder who is getting all the $$$?

$35 per year is pretty extravagant, I have to admit ;)
Heck, you could almost get a subscription to a good gun magazine for that money.
Oh, wait. I forgot. You do get a subscription to a good gun magazine for your NRA dues, plus a whole lot more.
Political action is expensive. The opposition is spending millions to take away your guns, Mot45acp.
That is not to mention all the youth activities, instructor certification, competitions, and all the billion and one other things the NRA does to support the shooting sports.

I agree with a lot they do, but i also disagree with some of the stuff they do.

What exactly do you disagree with? Whatever it is, are you sure you're really informed on what the NRA did on that issue? Or are you just buying a bunch of anti-NRA propaganda?

Bottom line: the NRA is working to preserve your gun rights, whether you support them or not. Your choice is between being a contributor to something that benefits you, or being a freeloader.

Mot45acp
December 16, 2005, 08:06 PM
Aerod your input is apreciated (spell check) correct me if i misquote (dunno how to use the quote feature) You believe that if it werent for the NRA we would be disarmed? I am interested in this I havent heard it put like this before. Could you elaborate please. I do understand the fighting dollars with dollars. That makes a lot of cents:)
For those who are vetrans to the gun thing, please bear with me I am fairly new to the political aspect of it as well as other areas and uneducated in the subject. I have only been doing this for 3 years or so. The people here seem to be decent knowlegable (might wanna spell check that one too)freedom loving Americans. That is the reason I started this thread, to obtain information.
Thank You
Tom

FPrice
December 16, 2005, 08:09 PM
Me I choose not. Reason: I dont feel I need to pay to join a organization to have a hobby. I agree with a lot they do, but i also disagree with some of the stuff they do. Then there is the $$$ issue they take in a lot of revenue but thier output doesnt justify it (IMHO) so I wonder who is getting all the $$$?

The short answer is that your "hobby" is still under constant attack by those who feel that you and I and about 80,000,000 other gun owners are too irresponsible to participate in said "hobby" and that our "toys" should be taken away from us. I consider owning firearms much more than just a hobby. It is a right that a free man/woman has and only a dictator who is afraid of his subjects would try to take away.

MountainPeak
December 16, 2005, 08:11 PM
Donated $1500 this year and still get 2 or 3 calls a week. This is getting old. Seems like every time someone says they don't like guns, I get an emergency call telling me they need more money. Besides that, I didn't get my magazine for the last 2 months. Thats my whine,and I'm sticking to it.:cuss: Thanks for your donations. Make it $1525 and they will leave you alone. ;) Seriously, I'm told you can contact them and stop calls. My stock answer to those that whine about letters/phone calls, and state it as reason NOT to belong to the NRA is this: How tough is it to say "no thanks" to a call and hang up, or "throw" a letter in the trash? I wonder what our Founding Fathers would think about the TERRIBLE inconvenience you are being subjected to? I guess SCARIFICE means something different today.

Shel
December 16, 2005, 08:14 PM
I am not a member of the NRA... but I am planning on signing up pretty soon. As soon as I get my car insurance paid and my checking account recovered from it.

lowracer
December 16, 2005, 08:16 PM
I'll join any organization that p***es off the Brady Bunch. :)

antsi
December 16, 2005, 08:16 PM
You believe that if it werent for the NRA we would be disarmed? I am interested in this I havent heard it put like this before. Could you elaborate please.

Oh, sure. They aren't trying to take our guns away. They just want to make sure that all guns are registered and all gun owners are licensed... Just like in England... oh, wait. They DID take away the English people's guns, didn't they?

It doesn't necessarily have to be the NRA to protect our gun owner rights. It could be any large national organization with millions of members, a powerful political lobbying operation, teams of highly specialized lawyers, years of legislative experience, multiple media outlets to get the message out, and a high public profile. Let's see... what organizations fit that description?

adaman04
December 16, 2005, 08:21 PM
Life Member here. Why do I trust the NRA to use my money to help me keep my guns? Cause hell, ain't nobody else gonna do it. I love gun legislation, it makes us so much safer and I sleep great at night knowing I don't need that 9mm on my nightstand. :cuss: But, I think I'll keep it there just the same.:D

Trip20
December 16, 2005, 08:27 PM
Mot, take a trip to the NRA Headquarters in Fairfax, VA. You'll understand that your money would be well spent.

Me I choose not. Reason: I dont feel I need to pay to join a organization to have a hobby.
Joining the NRA by paying membership dues, does not mean your doing so "to have a hobby." I agree, having a hobby does not mandate joining any organization. I find it difficult to believe you feel the only reason people join the NRA is because of a "hobby."

However, if you care about the Second Amendment you owe it to yourself to join. You might not agree with every position taken by the organization, but the fact remains that every segment of popular society is positioned to be primarily anti-gun, and without the NRA and its efforts things would be much worse for gun-rights people than they are now.

If you like guns and want to keep them, join the NRA, it's that simple. If you need more convincing than that… Well, then I don’t know what to tell ya. Instead, I’ll ask you a question:

What do you do to help preserve 2A rights? :cool:

Of course you can always sit back and enjoy your 2A rights at the expense of people like me, and organizations like the NRA.

Gunpacker
December 16, 2005, 08:34 PM
Without the NRA, today you would not be able to be a hobby shooter, or have a firearm for any reason, including protection for your family. Just think how effective peta, and other anti gun groups would be without any effective voice of reason. The Second Amendment would have been relegated to the dustbin as out of date, not related to modern life, and meant for the national guard anyway. Wake up and join if you value your rights to own a firearm or believe that the Constitution is important.

Mot45acp
December 16, 2005, 08:39 PM
This was my first time I asked this question on a national (or international level sorry Blair). My only experience with the NRA has been over zealous people harassing me at gun shows i.e. following me from the ticket counter into the actual hall like a hard up sales man trying to pay his power bill, magazine adds. The one that kinda turned me off was one asking to include the NRA in my will. It sounded kinda desperate. Around where I live the general response is "cuz I like guns boy"
One thing that sparked the flame on this was I am interested in starting a shooting range for the working class people around here. A friend of mine told me the NRA helped with this kind of thing, but made it mandatory that all members were also NRA members. A lot of clubs down here require a $200-$500 dollar intiation fee plus $100-$200 quarterly fee. The cheapest I found was $175 intiation and $200 yearly. I would like to start a donation only fee. meaning not $$$ but time and material if you dont have $$ for benches etc. or if you have a tractor or strong back then show up and work.

aerod1
December 16, 2005, 08:42 PM
Mot45acp,
I didn't say we would be disarmed but we certainly wouldn't be enjoying as many gun rights as we are currently.
I do appreciate your willingness to hear our side of this issue. Most here, have expressed my views very eloquently.
Just last year the NRA was instrumental in repealing the, so called, "assault weapons ban" on semi automatic rifles and standard capacity magazines.
The NRA isn't perfect......but neither am I. God knows, I still need some improvements!
Again, I do appreciate your candor. It does appear you are seeking some answers. This is a good place to find answers involving the gun culture. Most people in this forum are good folks. That is the reason it is called "The High Road".

Respectfully,

Jim

GoBrush
December 16, 2005, 08:42 PM
Member here:)
There are plenty of Pro Gun groups you can join the most important thing is to join ONE. What are you waiting for quit reading this right now and go research one online and JOIN NOW!!!!

You will probably never agree 100% of the time with any political group the bottom line is that our gun rights are being threatened and we need to do ALL we can to preserve them.

I am not a member of Gun Owners of America (GOA) I have friends that are thats another you could check out.

Second Amendment Foundation is another one.

There are dozens. I do recommend joining one with teeth meaning an active lobby group.

Remember UNCLE SAM NEEDS YOU join today like RIGHT NOW.:D

Mot45acp
December 16, 2005, 08:43 PM
I Told you this was a knowledgable crowd even if i cant spell. I have learned more in the past hour than in 3 years. As far as media outlets all Ive seen is G+A TV and in gun mags is there somewhere else for me to look in?
Thank You
Tom

cavman
December 16, 2005, 08:58 PM
I was a NRA member 10 years ago when I was feeling like a "joiner" and putting my paltry $30 yearly NRA membership in the pot to a group that I think is the best recognized defender of the right to have a gun.

That said, with lawyer fees charging more money per hour than any gun that I may own, I got disillusioned with the money aspect. I spend my money (time and influence) by esposing opinions that I think are in agreement with liberal ideas regarding ownership. So I feel by continually advocating as a "man on the street" the importance of these rights to bear arms ect.ect. I am making the most of it.

However, the club ($100/yr) that I am about to join requires NRA membership. At this time I am 99% confident that I will join, and will willingly fork over the NRA membership fee as a requirement even though the additional $30-35 will be a significant "surcharge".

All said and done, one needs to be an advocate of the ideals of personal responsibilty and do one's best to live them. If there are extra $$ to send to some legal beagles that is an extra bonus.

aerod1
December 16, 2005, 09:03 PM
cavman,

Welcome to THR!

Jim

Justin
December 16, 2005, 09:36 PM
A friend of mine told me the NRA helped with this kind of thing, but made it mandatory that all members were also NRA members.

This is common, if you want the NRA to insure your range, then they want your members to belong. Seems like a fair arrangement.

cracked butt
December 16, 2005, 09:48 PM
Life Member with no regrets.

This is common, if you want the NRA to insure your range, then they want your members to belong. Seems like a fair arrangement.

A lot of the clubs in my area require an NRA Membership.

Other reasons to join-

-Many forms of competitive shoot fall under the auspices of the NRA.
-You get a choice of a handful of really well put together monthly publications- Worth the $35/ year or so just by itself.
-It pisses off hardcore liberals:D

Kim
December 16, 2005, 09:50 PM
Yes. And I signed up 5 friends and paid their dues the first year. I even signed up my 18 y/0 niece. See -------she takes after her Aunt Kim, she wanted the NRA sticker really bad to put on her truck that she drives to the University to P&$$ off her professors. So of coarse I also bought her a NRA tee shirt and sweat shirt so she could put it in their face in class. She was very happy and proud. :evil:

taliv
December 16, 2005, 09:58 PM
i'm a life member of GOA, whose lobbyists faithfully represent my sentiments (no compromise)

i pay annual dues to the NRA so I can shoot in High Power matches.

TrybalRage
December 16, 2005, 10:15 PM
Is the NRA perfect? No.

But when I go over and spend some time reading up on the enemy at the brady camp, stopthenra, center to prevent handgun violence, et cetera, et cetera; I want to vomit. And then I contribute more time and money to a cause I believe in.

The NRA, for all its faults, is the biggest dog on our side.

Lebben-B
December 16, 2005, 10:20 PM
Also a Life Member. Yes, the calls and spam-like emails get annoying. But it's worth it. The influence weilded by the NRA in defending our 2d Amendment rights is vast. Plus they do more than just lobby - they organize shoots and hunter/gun safety classes. They're also very veteran friendly. I'm only 40, but as a kid I remember reading American Rifleman and the stories they published about Viet Nam veterans and praising their accomplishments, one of the few widely read periodicals to do so at the time.

I'm proud of my association with the NRA. In today's politcally charged atmosphere, if you are a gun-owner you must belong to the NRA if you want to continue to be a gun owner.

Mike

cz75bdneos22
December 16, 2005, 10:22 PM
like you i share your sentiments....if you care to read some of my post regarding the NRA membership...i just recently joined after fence sitting for too long...i figure its a start for me...i'll decide based on what transpires during my membership if i'll continue to support it...but i gotta give me the oportunity to start somewhere....is it all it can be? maybe no, but i'm willing to take a chance and be proved otherwise. if it don't work for me, then i'm only out $25-35...YMMV try it, it won't hurt you one bit...;) and welcome to THR too.:cool:

strambo
December 16, 2005, 10:23 PM
The NRA was founded in 1871 to promote marksmanship and firearms use and safety after a serious decline in the general American's ability to hit what they were aiming at as witnessed in the Civil War. Promoting the safe, responsible and effective use of firearms is the primary mission of the NRA today. The political stuff came about later and is a secondary (albiet necessary) mission of the NRA.

NRA training programs are great. The NRA LE instructor course I attended was outstanding and the instructors were superb. They truly cared about training instructors the best techniques to help keep LE officers alive. As a result of that experience, I have applied for certification to instruct NRA civilian courses and plan on teaching the NRA Home Firearm Safety course to some folks in January.

Plenty of good reasons to join the NRA that have nothing to do with politics.

IndianaDean
December 16, 2005, 10:31 PM
I echo others who have said the NRA may not be perfect, but without them the 2nd Amendment would probably already be long gone.
I also belong to GOA and the Second Amendment Foundation.

cavman
December 16, 2005, 10:39 PM
Thanks to the two Texas boys for the welcome. Appreciate the warm salutations.

To the thread starter: I hope these words of contribution help you with the broadening of a point of view that you may have been looking for, to help you in discerning what those who feel what the NRA (and, in general, those sources and groups that gather the type of folks that have responded to your inquiry) from those other sources that gather those that may differ and be contrary to.

Matthew748
December 16, 2005, 10:47 PM
Sure I am a member. If you have a couple of bucks lying around there is no reason not to be. I do not agree with them 100% on everything, but I feel that it is important to support them. GOA and Jews for the Preservation of Firearms are great and all, but the NRA is one of the only organizations out there with enough clout to stand toe to toe with the gun grabbers in the political arena and actually make a difference.

Mot45acp
December 16, 2005, 11:38 PM
There seems to be some inteligent points made here. With Christmas here $$$ is tight. But, once we get over that hump I believe I will purchase a 1 year membership.
Reasons: 1. I wasn't blindly slammed for being a non participant
2. This was my first legitimate inquiry instead of hearsay
3. Only $25 or $35 depending on who you ask(didnt know it
was that cheap)
4. If I feel its not worth the time or $$ I am not out that
much, and I just wont renew

Thank you all for the information. Like I said, I am new to this. My gun "obsession"as my wife calls it as moved to the next level. Meaning it has become more than a "hobby". I am not a wealthy man but I want to do what I can (I can offer a strong back and a will to work). Whoever said that "I was not being part of the solution then I was part of the problem" offended me at first, but after logging off, playing with my kids while my .45 sits ready above the fireplace.(note: its only there when I am home, kids are supervised, and as long as they remain too little to even reach it 24 mos and 3 mos) I realized he was right. I was ecstatic when the AWB went out, but I knew that we weren't out of the woods. The majority of gun owners where I live are gun owners because of hunting. I would say (and I'm guessing) maybe 1 out of 5 gun owners even own a pistol.
I am blessed to live where I can legaly and safely walk out my back door and shoot targets with my RRA L.A.R. with telescoping stock and bayonet lug btw I got from someone on this site(thank you) Which is the reason I chose the house I bought. Do I need a bayonet lug no, but I like to know I have the option. If I lose this I lose more than my 30 rd mags.(maybe Santa will bring me a Beta mag)
I know this was long. But once again thank you THR and co.

p.s. anyone else find it wierd that Rosie O'Donnel's:barf: bodyguard has a ccw in NYC

4v50 Gary
December 16, 2005, 11:53 PM
Became a life member. I don't agree with some of their politics, but they are the biggest lobbying group for guns.

losangeles
December 17, 2005, 12:16 AM
I joined the NRA recently. No, they're not perfect. But they are our best representation, as gunowners, in a country where there's a movement afoot to eliminate our rights. Hell, look at San Francisco where there is a ban on handguns. Something like this can happen nationally. It's happened to other countries. The NRA is our best chance to prevent this from happening.

larryf1952
December 17, 2005, 12:46 AM
I've been an annually renewing NRA member since 1978. I usually pay a year or two ahead when they send me an offer...it's easier for me to just keep renewing than it is to come up with a wad of cash for a life membership. I'm certain that without the NRA, we'd be quilting or doing tole painting by now, rather than enjoying our shooting rights in this country. I never get called by the NRA, but when I get something in the mail that I'm not ready to contribute to, I just toss it and don't worry about it. Maybe next time.

The NRA works for ALL gunowners rights, members and non-members alike, and it doesn't sit well for me to hear non-member gunowners attempt to explain their reasons for not joining, when they're riding on the backs and dollars of those who are members of the NRA. Every lawful gunowner should be an NRA member.

Beetle Bailey
December 17, 2005, 01:48 AM
Yeah, I'm a member. No, I don't think the NRA is perfect. Yes, I plan on becoming a life-member some day.

Thing is, it's an easy way to fight back against the gun-haters. I just send a few bucks and tell them not to call me ;) . If someone has done their homework and comes to decide that they don't want to join the NRA, that's fine with me. But just do something to contribute to the RKBA. :D

natedog
December 17, 2005, 01:58 AM
I'd say it is worth joining.

ReadyontheRight
December 17, 2005, 02:06 AM
1. The NRA teaches safe shooting to police and citizens.
2. The NRA organizes shooting competitions to encourage interest in shooting sports.
3. The NRA is the strongest pro-RKBA organization ever conceived in human history.
4. What is it...$35 freakin' bucks per year? What is your freedom worth?

TomN
December 17, 2005, 02:09 AM
Life member here also. I don't agree with everything they do but I support them because they do a lot right. I just wish they were a little less willing to compromise on some issues. That's why I'm also a member of GOA.

LBTRS
December 17, 2005, 02:17 AM
The NRA is the reason you can enjoy your "hobby". If it were not for the NRA we would have lost our second amendment rights long ago. I question anyone who owns a gun or enjoys the shooting sports and doesn't support the organization that we rely on to keep this right.
LBTRS

jsalcedo
December 17, 2005, 03:42 AM
I just upped to a life membership.

If you pay for your life member dues before 12/31/05 they will give you a leather NRA bomber jacket.

The NRA woke up and grew their gonads back during the Clinton presidency.

Since then they have been a juggernaut pushing for pro RKBA candidates and
state by state CCW.

They do have their problems but the NRA is the best 800 Lb gorrila out there.

coolgunguy
December 17, 2005, 04:16 AM
Ok this is my first time with a thread. Are you a member of the NRA? If so why? Do you choose not to be a member? Why?

All input even if you disagree with me 100% are apreciated. Heck you may even change my mind.:)

Howdy folks. I'm new to the board (first post), and I don't currently own any guns, but I too am a member of the NRA, and contribute whenever I can. I recomend to all my friends to join, and I recomend that to you as well. When someone asks why I'm a member when I don't own a gun, I tell them that I have owned guns in the past, and I plan to own them again. I also tell them that I'm a member for them too. Many folks just don't understand that the NRA isn't just for gun owners, it's a civil rights orginization just like NAACP, or ACLU. The difference is that the NRA is concerned mostly with the second amendment.

DunedinDragon
December 17, 2005, 05:48 AM
I'm a new gun owner and a new member of the NRA. For me it's not just about contributing to an organization that is dedicated to protecting the gun rights of responsible gun owners, it's about being associated with an organization that actively promotes responsible gun ownership.

When someone whines to me about the innocent people that get shot accidently by guns, I simply ask them what they have done about it (other than whine and say we need more laws). At least I can say I've contributed money (and some time) to actively addressing these types of problems. If the Million Mom's March were really concerned about the safety of their kids, they'd be out there actively contributing to the NRA to support programs like Eddie Eagle. At least I'm not a hypocrite.

Rich K
December 17, 2005, 06:16 AM
Life member here,no regrets,no complaints.

Dot_mdb
December 17, 2005, 08:34 PM
I'm a proud member of the NRA and I try to give a little extra a couple of times during the year. Gun rights are important to me and if it wasn't for the NRA we wouldn't have any gun rights.

If you aren't a member, PLEASE JOIN.

Bill

Freeze N
December 17, 2005, 09:01 PM
Howdy folks. I'm new to the board (first post), and I don't currently own any guns, but I too am a member of the NRA, and contribute whenever I can. I recomend to all my friends to join, and I recomend that to you as well. When someone asks why I'm a member when I don't own a gun, I tell them that I have owned guns in the past, and I plan to own them again. I also tell them that I'm a member for them too. Many folks just don't understand that the NRA isn't just for gun owners, it's a civil rights orginization just like NAACP, or ACLU. The difference is that the NRA is concerned mostly with the second amendment.

Welcome Coolgunguy! Thanks for being a member of THR and the NRA.
The NRA is not perfect as stated already, but they are a Class Act.

December 17, 2005, 09:06 PM
please see the following signature line... :D

IndianaDean
December 17, 2005, 09:41 PM
Is that NRA jacket a concealment jacket, or just standard pockets inside?

Freeze N
December 17, 2005, 09:51 PM
Is that NRA jacket a concealment jacket, or just standard pockets inside?

I think it has standard pockets. It is one dang nice jacket though. They had them at our NRA banquet. Makes me want to be a lifer!
Go to the NRA website and visit the store, they have all kinds of goodies.

http://www.nrastore.com/nra/home.aspx

rugerman
December 17, 2005, 10:01 PM
I've been a life member since the 70's. Great magazine, lots of info, espically about who is tring to take away our freedom to own a gun. No they aren't perfect but they are the best we've got and they do a damn good job. If you care about your freedom and you own a gun or would like to in the future you couldn't join a better group of people. If every gun owner was a NRA member then we would have so much clout that the brady bunch, bubble butt Ted Kennedy and their kind would be no more. Join us you'll like us. rugerman

Keith Wheeler
December 17, 2005, 10:08 PM
I support the NRA, but I have to disagree that they work for "all" firearms owners. They seem to have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy with regards to NFA weapons.

antsi
December 17, 2005, 10:34 PM
I support the NRA, but I have to disagree that they work for "all" firearms owners. They seem to have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy with regards to NFA weapons.

I think they are just identifying themselves with issues/positions where they have a shot at winning. Unfortunately, the majority of suburbanites and soccer moms see full auto as the ultimate "extreme" of firearms.

I don't think that means we will never get this right restored - I do think it will happen eventually. But I bet it will be the last anti gun owner law that gets overturned.

PWK
December 17, 2005, 11:17 PM
I didn't read all three pages of posts but if it wasn't covered, I see that the member who started this thread lives in Texas. I would definitly recommend joining the NRA but even more I would say join the Texas State Rifle Association. There are several 100000 NRA members in TX but fewer than 50000 TSRA members in TX. The TSRA does a lot of good work for Texan's and has been in the forefront of the gun related legislative battles on the state level. Nearly all the advances in the concealed carry law have come about because of the work of the TSRA.

orionengnr
December 18, 2005, 09:10 AM
Yes, I am an NRA member. I was back in the early 80's, got a bit disillusioned with some of the positions they were holding (remember the JBT deal?) and let it lapse. Moved to Texas about two years ago and started to become more active in shooting, gun shows, etc. Joined this board and TFL and did some reading and learning.

Joined the NRA again earlier this year. Currently eyeballing the installment payment routine for Life Member and will likely do it when I am up for renewal.

As far as rationalising the expenditure, how much does a box of your favorite ammo cost? Cheap .45 is $10 a box, and I can go thru 2-3 boxes easily at one session. Add $8-15 for the range fee.

So, let's look at it another way:
Will you forego one range session in order to help ensure that the next time you want to go, that option still exists?

Easy choice for me.

TSRA? Hmmmm....gotta look into that...maybe this afternoon, when I get back from the Ft Worth Gun Show :)

TexasRifleman
December 18, 2005, 09:30 AM
TSRA? Hmmmm....gotta look into that...maybe this afternoon, when I get back from the Ft Worth Gun Show :)

My TSRA membership has actually paid off more directly than NRA.

After the pre-emption law was passed here in Texas, several municipalities refused to remove their 30-06 signs from publicly owned buildings. I called TSRA with a couple of places, they made a few phone calls, and days later the signs were gone.

Join TSRA as well as NRA.

GoBrush
December 18, 2005, 10:45 AM
MOT45ACP:

When you join I recommend getting American Rifleman or American Hunter I got alittle tired of the other magazine a little too political. Political is not bad mind you but not 24/7. I do want to enjoy life and focus on possitive things once and awhile.

I think you will enjoy your membership more if you do this.;)

FPrice
December 18, 2005, 10:49 AM
I would definitly recommend joining the NRA but even more I would say join the Texas State Rifle Association

[soapbox]

Every firearms owner who wants to insure that they can continue to own firearms and can continue to shoot for fun, recreation, and self-defense should belong (personal finances permitting), at a minimum to at least three organizations.

National: Every firearms owner needs to be aware of efforts on the national stage to deny our RKBA and should support efforts to resist and reverse these efforts. This includes supporting those national organizations which work to protect our rights. I believe that the NRA is doing the best job and strongly suggest NRA membership for everyone. If you absolutely cannot support the NRA, then at least support one of the other national organizations.

State: Just about every state has a state-wide organization which organizes political and/or firearms competitions. As the gun control fight moves to the state level, it is even more critical that firearms owners add their voices and financial support to these organizations which are supporting our rights on this level.

Local: The famed Boston politico, Tip O'Neil once observed, "All politics is local.". In our scenario, this means that much of the gun control effort is concentrated at the grass roots level and needs to be fought and defeated at this level. Belonging to your local range or gun club, working to keep local shooting ranges open, gun control legislation off the books, and firearms-friendly politicians in local office can do much to defeat, or hinder gun control efforts at higher levels.

Rights are not self-sustaining. It takes constant effort from each generation to keep our rights and prevent their erosion. Maybe it shouldn't be like this, but it is. And if you don't protect our rights, who will?

[soapbox/]

bruss01
December 18, 2005, 12:13 PM
For the record, I am an NRA member, and I expect to continue to be an NRA member. They have done gun owners a lot of good over the years.

However, for all the good they have done, there is a lot of good that they could have done, that they didn't.

I don't think this should be entirely unexpected. The NRA is an entity. Like any entity, it has to feed in order to continue to exist. Why do we continue to feed it? The same reason the guy who lives in a bad neighborhood continues to feed his pit-bull. If the neighborhood ever cleaned up and got too safe, the guy might decide he could better use the money he spends on the big dog for some more enjoyable pleasure.

So I've heard some people allege that the NRA pulls it's punches, doesn't wipe out the Brady crew entirely, always leaves a root for it grow back - example, they were poised to do nothing but "monitor the situation" in New Orleans, until a huge portion of their membership demanded action, then they belatedly joined the 2Ammendment Foundation in a lawsuit that eventually had good results. I was ready to drop them over their inaction (and told them so), and I'm sure they heard the same from a hundered thousand other members. They have never brought a decisive 2nd Amendment case before the supreme court. They allowed the Assault weapons ban to take effect in 94, then make themselves look like heroes for preventing it's renewal 10 years later. They haven't given their blessing to the effort to put a Right to Keep and Bear Arms in the California constitution. One can speculate that they'd rather have a mini-panic (and a fundraising "cause") every time a new piece of anti-gun legislation comes down the pike, rather than have the issue settled once and for all by an iron-clad and decisive barrier to such laws ever seeing the light of day. No more panicked gun owners with open wallets. They frequently co-author legislation which compromises the rights of gun owners unnecessarily. One really has to scratch one's head at these repeated occurances from an organization which purports to represent the interests of citizens 2nd Amendment rights.

So while I think the NRA is an organization that does a lot of good, like Voltaire said "Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." It may be the 800 pound gorilla, but that gorilla spends a lot of time just picking it's nose and scratching it's butt and looking intimidating. Oh, and asking for more bananas so it can keep protecting you from that cheetah over there (which it could easily disembowel, but then you'd quit giving it bananas, wouldn't you?).

RaySendero
December 18, 2005, 12:27 PM
Donated $1500 this year and still get 2 or 3 calls a week. This is getting old. Seems like every time someone says they don't like guns, I get an emergency call telling me they need more money. Besides that, I didn't get my magazine for the last 2 months. Thats my whine,and I'm sticking to it.:cuss:

I'm an NRA member - I help when I can and just say no thank you when I can't. SIMPLE

You'll feel better if you quit whining!

Silver Bullet
December 18, 2005, 12:37 PM
A few months to a year ago there seemed to be a glut of threads challenging the NRA’s effectiveness. I posted this link regarding the NRA’s input to shut down the gun-liability bill when the Dems added provisions to renew the AWB.

http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/siliconvalley/1805Results.html

Note in particular this quote from Feinstein (speaking of the NRA):
"I'm a bit numb ... They had the power to turn around at least 60 votes in the Senate. That's amazing to me."
- Senator Feinstein as quoted in the NY Times 3/3/04

Since then, the gun-liability bill has been passed without the AWB renewal provision.

SShooterZ
December 18, 2005, 12:54 PM
NRA Member here.

I figured for what you have to pay, what you get in return with the continued freedom to posess your firearms, it's well worth it. :)

utahminirevolver
December 18, 2005, 12:58 PM
I joined the NRA about 2000 because it bothered the heck out of me that anti-gunners might win the next presidential election and do away with the Second Amendment. The NRA supports freedom and that's why I support them.

Rem700SD
December 18, 2005, 02:00 PM
I don't know about any others, but I've gotten my life membership thru the installments $25 a quarter, iirc. Since i've become a life member, I've received fewer solicitations, but maybe that's coincidence. In my opinion, the membership is worth it, if nothing else than for the NRA magazines themselves. They give me interesting articles, let me know what's going on politically, and give me resources to be heard as a believer in the constitution.
Dan

tuckerdog1
December 18, 2005, 05:06 PM
If there was no NRA, your "hobby" might be limited to filling out reams of paperwork for the privilage of owning a single shot 22, and nothing more. Getting ammunition might be next to impossible, very expensive when possible. And possibly limited to a certain amount per month. It's a shame the NRA is even necessary, but it is. And if you believe in the 2nd Ammendment, they ( and we ) need and appreciate your support.

I give memberships as Christmas & birthday gifts. Even to friends that are not all that interested in firearms. It might get them interested. And it increases the membership numbers, which helps with political clout.

Tuckerdog1
NRA Life Member

R.H. Lee
December 18, 2005, 05:14 PM
I just got a RUDE letter from NRA, something like "........we're all in danger of losing our gun rights.........because some NRA members like you have not renewed their membership.......so when our handguns are confiscated........it will be all your fault (paraphrased)........."

I'll probably renew, even though they haven't done squat for California. But sheesh, get a PR clue, NRA. :rolleyes:

DF357
December 18, 2005, 10:31 PM
I'm not a member. On my fixed VA disability (Vietnam vet) I don't have enough money this year to join. I was a member last year, but with gas/etc. prices where they there is no way I can afford it. I assure you, if I had $25 in disposable income I'd be a member in a minute. Sometimes neighbors/friends give me a magazine or two, I read them cover to cover.

Life member here.

Rick, if you'd be willing to email me your name and address, I'd be proud to send you a years membership to the NRA as a Christmas gift from one VN era vet to another.

US Army Security Agency 1967-71

Kramer Krazy
December 19, 2005, 11:15 AM
The NRA chases me away with all of their phone calls and begging for more money, but it never fails....I keep going back to them and rejoining. I may take a few years off from being a member, but I keep going back. I figure no one else is really trying to fight for me to keep my firearms, so I'm better off supporting them instead of sitting back until the antis get the government to take them away from me.

popeye
December 19, 2005, 12:13 PM
I'm a life member of the NRA. You can go to their website and have yourself taken off mailing list. I also cancelled magazine as a friend gets The Rifleman and just passes it off to me. Saves the NRA a couple cents, but it all adds up.

cz75bdneos22
December 19, 2005, 02:21 PM
Life member here.

Rick, if you'd be willing to email me your name and address, I'd be proud to send you a years membership to the NRA as a Christmas gift from one VN era vet to another.

US Army Security Agency 1967-71

Sir, you are a gentleman...thank you for being who you are...:)

LBTRS
December 19, 2005, 02:52 PM
For all you who are concerned about the solicitations from the NRA...You can call and be removed from their mail/call list and you'll never hear from them again. I'm a life member and have not heard from them in years. I send them money each year but it's without them soliciting for it. Try it instead of complaining about it.

To use this as an excuse for why you're not a member is silly. Without the NRA our Second Amendment Rights would have been taken long ago. Also, don't forget you can always say "NO" when asked for money.

LBTRS

1911JMB
December 19, 2005, 09:42 PM
I choose not to be a member of the NRA. They do nothing for the class 3 community, and thats why I don't like them. If you go to www.uzitalk.com you will find plenty of people who share my opinion.

RaySendero
December 19, 2005, 10:42 PM
I choose not to be a member of the NRA. They do nothing for the class 3 community, and thats why I don't like them. If you go to www.uzitalk.com you will find plenty of people who share my opinion.

Why can't you be an NRA member and talk uzi too? We are winning the fight on gun control! The NRA is the most feared lobby group on capital hill (and the most smeared in hollywood) for good reason! I would think you would want to be part of the fight. What do you think would happen to your Class 3 if the gun control advocates had their way?

I help the NRA every chance I get and vote pro-second amendment every chance too. But you - NO, You have found a reason to stick youir head in the sand.

yonderway
December 19, 2005, 11:58 PM

I choose to not contribute to the NRA, but instead to the GOA, because time after time the NRA and its leadership have been the concessionist gun lobby. They value hunters, target shooters, and CCW purposes. But they have actually repeatedly gone against those of us who want to collect milsurp rifles, and want nothing to do with the unorganized militia.

The GOA treats all lawful gun owners pretty much the same, and while they may not always win, at least they are standing with me when the good guys loose.

antsi
December 19, 2005, 11:59 PM

That makes sense. After Sarah Brady is done taking away the handguns and semiautos, I'm sure she'll be satisfied and leave you class III guys alone.

yonderway
December 20, 2005, 12:02 AM
Life Member here. Why do I trust the NRA to use my money to help me keep my guns? Cause hell, ain't nobody else gonna do it.

:what:

There are quite a few other pro-gun lobbies out there. :banghead: The only reason the NRA is attractive to most gun owners is because of their clout, and the only reason they have clout is because they are the default pro-gun lobby. Many will concede that other gun lobbies agree with their own personal view of RKBA more than the NRA does but refuse to join those other orgs because "they don't have enough clout". Well the NRA didn't get to where it is overnight, and as long as the other orgs are choked out the NRA's proud tradition of concession will march on.

.50DE
December 20, 2005, 01:16 AM
twenty five years ago, also a member of the local rifle/pistol club. If not for them, we would be in deep :cuss: I dont agree with everything they do, but owning guns and being able to shoot is a freedom they fight for.

antsi
December 20, 2005, 01:20 AM
Many will concede that other gun lobbies agree with their own personal view of RKBA more than the NRA does but refuse to join those other orgs because "they don't have enough clout"..

Hey, that's a great idea. Let's splinter off into several thousand narrow-focus little organizations of ten or twelve members each. That way we can all have a gun rights organization that promotes EXACTLY what we want.

Forget the NRA. I'm joining the "Right to Keep and Bear Serbo-Croatian WWI Mausers Chambered in 6.9mm So Long as You Live in a Small Midwestern Town with Population Between 2,000 and 8,000." That'll keep the Brady Bunch and VPC guessing!

If they want my Serbo-Croatian WWI Mauser chambered in 6.9mm, they'll have to come to my small midwestern town and pry it out of my cold dead hands!

yonderway
December 20, 2005, 01:36 AM
Hey, that's a great idea. Let's splinter off into several thousand narrow-focus little organizations of ten or twelve members each. That way we can all have a gun rights organization that promotes EXACTLY what we want.

Many lobbies will form coalitions to get legislation passed. Same thing can happen here. The NRA won't touch a lot of important issues, or will support the wrong side of an issue (remember Chuck Heston saying publicly that nobody needs to own an AK47?) Hell we can thank the NRA for effectively eliminating full auto from being accessible to most Americans.

The GOA is hardly a splinter org. It is actually more comprehensive than the NRA. The NRA doesn't give a squat about AK47 ownership. The GOA protects AK47 owners with the same enthusiasm as GLOCK owners, shotgunners, etc. It's the most inclusive "big tent" gun lobby, bar none.

antsi
December 20, 2005, 03:01 AM
Many lobbies will form coalitions to get legislation passed.

Forming coalitions requires even more compromises. Coalitions come together when there is an issue that many smaller groups all agree on. If the skeet shooters in the NRA won't rally around your AK-47 issues, then splitting off into separate Skeet and AK-47 organizations then trying to form a coalition is going to get you right back where you started.

I agree in a perfect world I would like to see the NRA take on full auto issues. But I also realistically have to admit that full auto is not a winnable battle right now. It is a long term goal and there are a lot of smaller steps between here and there. To the soccer moms and fence sitters and even a lot of shooters, full auto is considered the wildest extreme of gun ownership. I don't agree with that, but I am saying we have a lot of hearts and minds to win over before it is realistic to think about unrestricting full auto.

If you want to accomplish the most with your RKBA political support, I maintain you are best off to support the NRA and support your smaller specialty organizations. It's good to have both.

And I think it's a little off the wall to say that the NRA is to blame for "eliminating full auto from being accessible to most Americans." The NRA does not set public opinion or control the political process. They have to work within the political landscape where we are. They do a lot of good for us, but they can't just magically make the overwhelming public objection to full auto disappear overnight.

DF357
December 20, 2005, 09:15 AM
I choose to not contribute to the NRA, but instead to the GOA, because time after time the NRA and its leadership have been the concessionist gun lobby. They value hunters, target shooters, and CCW purposes. But they have actually repeatedly gone against those of us who want to collect milsurp rifles, and want nothing to do with the unorganized militia.

Thats a real good reason to drop the NRA like a hot potato. What about those of us who are milsurp collectors AND CCW and target and hunt?

If you think that you'll still have milsurps if there are no target guns, hunting guns and CCw guns, you're mistaken.

GOA is agood organization but can't support your rights nearly as well as the NRA.

BigFatKen
December 20, 2005, 09:23 AM
I see no reason to quit NRA. They may not be perfect, but they have the ear of Congress. George H. W. Bush was quiting and that may have cost him the election. So, we got the person(s) elected that I know call "the Impeached One".

Gimme.50
December 20, 2005, 10:14 AM

I was a member for several years, and always gave them as much as I could. I didn't really complain until things got lean for a while and I had to stop sending them money. Soon they sent me a letter saying "Gun owners don't turn their backs on fellow gun owners". Their ploy to make me feel like a deserter backfired, I was infuriated and haven't sent them a penny since and that was more than 10 years ago. Still, they are a necessity and the single most powerful defenders gun owner have, and since I'm over the incident from years ago I am considering joining again. If I ever get another letter like the one I got before, they'll hear from me personally!

yonderway
December 20, 2005, 11:13 AM
Forming coalitions requires even more compromises. Coalitions come together when there is an issue that many smaller groups all agree on. If the skeet shooters in the NRA won't rally around your AK-47 issues, then splitting off into separate Skeet and AK-47 organizations then trying to form a coalition is going to get you right back where you started.

Not at all. In the current monolithic model, the NRA will take no action at all, or worse yet the wrong action, when it comes to gun issues in congress. In the splinter model, the AK47 owners are always represented. As are the skeet guys. On the issues that are common to both, they form a coalition. But there have been too many times that the NRA just either stepped aside or worse yet helped legislators to write laws that incrementally robbed me of my RKBA.

And I think it's a little off the wall to say that the NRA is to blame for "eliminating full auto from being accessible to most Americans." The NRA does not set public opinion or control the political process. They have to work within the political landscape where we are. They do a lot of good for us, but they can't just magically make the overwhelming public objection to full auto disappear overnight.

Oh?

"The NRA supported The National Firearms Act of 1934 which taxes and requires registration of such firearms as machine guns, sawed-off rifles and sawed-off shotguns. ... NRA support of Federal gun legislation did not stop with the earlier Dodd bills. It currently backs several Senate and House bills which, through amendment, would put new teeth into the National and Federal Firearms Acts." —American Rifleman, March 1968, P. 22

The NRA has a long proud tradition of bargaining away your rights. Check it out for yourself (http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=3247).

yonderway
December 20, 2005, 11:16 AM
Thats a real good reason to drop the NRA like a hot potato. What about those of us who are milsurp collectors AND CCW and target and hunt?

That's me. The GOA treats all of these uses of guns pretty equally, IMO. It certainly doesn't ever bargain away any of these legitimate uses of firearms. The NRA is on record, repeatedly, as saying that some of these uses are illegitimate.

JohnBT
December 20, 2005, 11:40 AM
"It certainly doesn't ever bargain away any of these legitimate uses of firearms."

Does the GOA have any bargaining power? I never see them mentioned in the major media. Do they have any real leverage?

Okay, okay, don't get all hot and bothered, I'm all for everybody joining every group. After all, it's not like you can only belong to one and only one organization.

John

yonderway
December 20, 2005, 12:49 PM
Does the GOA have any bargaining power? I never see them mentioned in the major media. Do they have any real leverage?

Check their web site. They have a bunch of relevant links. It seems when gun issues are hot in the news, it's almost always the GOA that I see granting interviews to CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, etc. to represent the gun owners POV on the issues.

RaySendero
December 20, 2005, 11:37 PM
Yonderway,

What has the GOA accomplished to help us keep our SA Rights - Never heard of them - Never saw any of these "interviews" they claim? :confused:

xd9fan
December 21, 2005, 12:03 AM
GOA lifemember
Benafactor member of the NRA

Do what I can when I can......ok when she lets me;)

springmom
December 21, 2005, 12:08 AM
The hubster joined several years ago, much to my aggravation (I was still seriously having issues with the whole gun thing...I got better since then ;) ). I still don't like a lot about them. Since I'm not into automatic weapons, that issue had never occurred to me, but I agree with what some have said regarding the "bargaining away of rights". Perhaps their perspective is that it's better to have half a loaf than none, but why should anybody get ANY of my loaf?

At any rate, I actually joined this year, not so much for the political schtick, which I don't think they do real well (and yes, I despise their fundraising hyperactivity) but for what I can get out of them. I like some of the Women's Outlook magazine in particular, and hope to get to go on one or more of the Women On Target hunts in the next year.

So we're members, but not enthusiastic rah-rah supporters. They could do better. :scrutiny:

Springmom

xd9fan
December 21, 2005, 12:15 AM
welcome springmom!!

I was never a gun nut till I read more history books......and the essay "Nation of Cowards" by Jeff Snyder. And got serious about protection when we started a family:)

Walter
December 21, 2005, 12:23 AM
I am an "Endowment/Life" member of the NRA. I don't think there is anybody else anywhere who tries harder and does a better job at keeping the weasels in government from whittling away our INALIENABLE right to keep and bear arms.

Granted, there are other organizations who work at the same thing, and good for them. But the NRA is the 800 pound gorilla when it comes to stopping stupid
anti-gun laws.

The NRA isn't perfect, but they try. And Congress isn't perfect either. But they
seem to keep trying to pass more restrictive gun-ownershiip laws. That is why
we need the NRA.

Just my opinion,,

Walter

jrpeterman
December 21, 2005, 01:16 AM
I'm a member. I think the NRA has done a very good job over the last ten years in protecting the rights of gunowners. Look at the number of states that have "shall issue" CCWs. The NRA has always done a fine job promoting firearm safety and the shooting sports. I'm also a member of a local gun club that requires NRA membership to join. Most gun clubs in the area require a NRA membership as a prerequisite. There have been things about the NRA in the past that I wasn't too thrilled about especially between the years of 1990-1994, but I think that the organization has improved tremendously and is heading in the right direction.

yonderway
December 21, 2005, 10:07 AM
Yonderway,

What has the GOA accomplished to help us keep our SA Rights - Never heard of them - Never saw any of these "interviews" they claim? :confused:

The page hasn't been updated since August, but as you can see, they have a pattern of getting in front of the media and interviewing for a broad audience as frequently as possible.
http://gunowners.org/media.htm

Here are some of the videos of their TV appearances:
http://gunowners.org/svtb.htm
(requires RealPlayer)

FPrice
December 21, 2005, 11:33 AM

This is not meant to be a personal attack so please do not take it as such. It is directed towards an attitude.

At the risk of appearing a bit combative, I have to say that this is a good example of cutting off your nose to spite your face and demonstrating a lack of sophisticated awareness of the political environment. The Class 3 fight is almost certainly unwinnable at this time. Considering all of the other anti-gun attacks we face, trying to reverse course on FA firearms would serve mainly as a lightning rod for the anti-gun forces and hand them a "silver platter" issue to attack all pro-gun efforts. So we could pour lots of money into this fight, lose it, and potentially lose many other fights for lack of money and effort, setting everything back. Just to show that the NRA supports the Class 3 community.

By fighting the broad attacks we face daily the NRA is supporting all firearms owners. And the more the win on these issues the better the environment gets for all firearms owners to include handgunners, high-end shotgunners, hunters, CCW, and even the Class 3 crowd. This is why all segments of the firearms-owning crowd should support the NRA and quit trying to set themselves apart.

If we are fragmented and unsuccessful, we all lose. But if we work together better, then in the end we can all win.

1911JMB
December 22, 2005, 09:38 PM

The GOA treats all lawful gun owners pretty much the same, and while they may not always win, at least they are standing with me when the good guys loose.

I do something similar. I contribute to the Libertarian Party and the Pink Pistols. (Not gay, but I know somebody who is.)

FPrice,

It may interest you to know that I was lucky enough to meet Wayne Lappiere once, and then see him make a speech. When I told him about how dissapointed I was that the most powerful gun lobby in the world exibited utter apathy towards us class 3 junkies, he gave me the same talk.

Something else I should point out about Wayne. I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but much like the anti's love to say, he stretches the truth to "make the sky seem like its falling." A good example is when he was trying to demonstrate how hard lawsuits were on the gun industry. He pointed out that S&W sold for only 15 million, but did not point out that they were bankrupted by some very angry american gun owners at the time. Wayne is a great spokesperson, but he does have something of a tendensy towards twisting the truth, which is obviously unnesasary if you know your facts, which he does.

yonderway
December 22, 2005, 10:11 PM
Something else I should point out about Wayne. I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but much like the anti's love to say, he stretches the truth to "make the sky seem like its falling." A good example is when he was trying to demonstrate how hard lawsuits were on the gun industry. He pointed out that S&W sold for only 15 million, but did not point out that they were bankrupted by some very angry american gun owners at the time. Wayne is a great spokesperson, but he does have something of a tendensy towards twisting the truth, which is obviously unnesasary if you know your facts, which he does.

This is something that our opponents must do because the truth is not strong enough to make their case. The truth is strong enough that gun owners do not need to pull a smoke & mirrors act.

Sensationalism smells like sewage. It doesn't play well with most people.

popeye
December 22, 2005, 10:16 PM
Wayne occasionally puts foot in mouth in today's disgusting P.C. world. I remember him talking about "jack booted thugs" a few years ago. Which essentially they were (remember?). As far as bicyclists: I had one in full cycle regalia on a carbon rocket cruse thru a stoplight ahead of me, and I almost hit him. Luck was with me and a police car was there, and pulled him over. Bicycle licences should be issued in today's congested traffic areas, since they need to utilise my street.

1911JMB
December 22, 2005, 10:49 PM
Not sure why you're bringing my unrelated sig line into this, but if somebody on a bike is stupid enough to do that, they have no buisness on the road and should be fined like all other traffic offenders, just like the law specifies.

MAUSER88
December 23, 2005, 11:55 AM
Join, help support an organization that supports YOUR gun rights!!!

Meplat
February 10, 2006, 05:46 PM
... I figured this was a way to check it out, see what if anything it was beneficial to me, after the one year, I may or may not continue with it, for free I figured why not. I have yet to recieve the stuff in the mail so I can not comment on it at this time however. I hope its worth my effort. From what I understand it will be. Anyone willing to help protect my rights is an ally in my book.

If you own a firearm in this country legally, then you have already benefitted from the NRA.

Worth your effort? Only if you hope for your children to some day be able to own one themselves.

They have done much more than HELP protect your rights. I will without hesitation say that were it not for the NRA in this country you would HAVE no recognized firearms rights now.

M.E.Eldridge
February 10, 2006, 07:29 PM
I'm not a life member but I am a member. It seems to me like I never have the cash at the membership renewal time to become a life member, but I can always spare 35 bucks. I mean, come on, it's a couple less boxes of ammo a year in order to maintain my gun rights. I couldn't justify refusing to deal out the minimal cost and effort involved.

Stevie-Ray
February 11, 2006, 01:23 AM
Always and forever.

Mr. Tettnanger
February 11, 2006, 07:47 AM
34 year old Life Member here. I was supporting by paying the yearly fee and wishing that I could scrape the scratch to pay for the life membership. When Charlie Heston died, they did some kind of special to become a lifer. I jumped at the chance and have never regretted it.

My personal belief: If you own a gun.....be a NRA member. Period!

I hear these folks who squawk about how expensive, blah, blah, blah..

Come on, how much do you pay for pizza and beer in year? Or how about your cell phone, newspaper, coffee lattes, or all that ammo that you sling down range becuase others have fought and paid for your freedom to do so?

I have learned a lesson since dealing and working directly with the public. It is the ones who Bi*ch and gripe about price who cry the loudest when something happens or breaks etc.

Get off your cheap A*ses......

Sorry for the rant

Mr. T

NIGHTWATCH
February 11, 2006, 10:52 AM
Thumb down on the NRA for now....

When they stop talking about "hunting rights" and start speaking about what the 2A is really about, then I will send them my money. We are surrounded by a forest of laws already. The Right of the People to Keep, bear and stockpile ARMS and preserve the ability to wage war against those who would enslave or kill us? That sounds about right.

andrew17
February 11, 2006, 11:19 AM
Life Endowment member

You know, I may or may not always agree with everything the NRA does but they are the best we have. So when it's time to pick a side I'll always go with the one that more closely reseambles what I believe in.

Andrew Rothman
February 11, 2006, 02:24 PM
Cash has been extremely short so right now my support of my rights is yelling at the tv while I have CSPAN on :D

Pop quiz: Which costs more: a year of NRA membership or a month of cable TV?

:rolleyes:

NineseveN
February 11, 2006, 03:45 PM
No, they aren't perfect, but every gun owner should be a member of the NRA at the very least.

If you're only a member of the NRA, you may be doing less than you think.

It should be:

Every gun owner should be in contact with their local politicians on a normal basis (about RKBA issues and others as well) at the very least, and if possible, donate to a group such as the NRA or GoA or JPFO after donating to your most effective state/local organization.

Contact your reps and congresscritters. Find the local organization that suits your ideals most, donate to them, contact them, let them know what you think. If it's the NRA-state affiliate, great, but many will find that on a state level the NRA just doesn't cut it, while others will find it to be the only group they really need, that depends on your state. Getting involved at the state level is IMHO, more important, most of the crap legislation is on the state levels except the NFA/GCA/AoW and import laws, and the NRA hasn't worked on those issues since they helped pass most of them.

Go with what's right for your state, first. Check around your local state groups to find the most effective and best fit for you.

heypete
February 11, 2006, 03:59 PM
I've been a regular member for a few years now, and finally made the Life Member plunge.

After my car got totalled and I bought a new car, I put my Life Member sticker on the car before I even got my license plates. :)

I run a small college shooting club, and the NRA has provided us with a huge amount of information, brochures, and other material for the club. We're looking at applying for a financial grant so we can actually get equipment, rather than loaning out club member's stuff to other members.

They're not just political, but they've got a wide range of other services that they offer. While I may not agree with them on every issue (which is to be expected, as they have a membership of several million people with different opinions and issues), I feel that the money I give them produces far more good than bad.

PX15
February 11, 2006, 04:30 PM
Yep....

Conscience won't let me NOT be a member of the largest national organization in the U.S. that fights for my 2nd Amendment rights..

Gun owners in England WISH they had an NRA before they lost their ability to own firearms, and the folks in Canada are rapidly heading down the same road.

I honestly believe if it were not for the NRA we wouldn't have the firearm right of ownership the Constitution guaranteed us.....

Do I agree with everything the NRA does, or proposes to do? NOPE. But I do agree with enough of their agenda to spring for a membership each year.

How does that old saying go, "Lead, follow, or get out of the way"?

You might want to step aside, or better yet, join the parade. If you didn't have more than a passing interest in firearm ownership you wouldn't be reading and posting on THE HIGH ROAD..

Best Wishes,

JP :D

Soybomb
February 11, 2006, 07:37 PM
Is there a page that lists or goes over some of the NRA victories? Especially repealing bad laws. I feel like I should join but at the same time I hear everybody say how much they do but I don't see much of it here. I don't hear about the NRA making a stink in Springfield about the proposed illinois assault weapon ban. I don't see them working to end the foid system or waiting period or to get us concealed carry? Are they doing much to help people in california or the people in mass who can't buy guns newer than x date.

Honestly I'm seeing them as a group that talks big, but doesn't get alot accomplished, perhaps leans a little more toward hunters, and really is just out for my money and will promise a bunch of truck stop type merchandise to get it. Perhaps I'm wrong. I'm really just wanting to fund some good lobbyists. Not an attack, just saying what I see, I'd love to see some examples of how I'm wrong and why I should donate.

JohnBT
February 11, 2006, 08:00 PM
Will a page from the NRA-ILA site do?

www.nraila.org/News/Archives/Releases.aspx

Sen. Rick Santorum Introduces S. 2249
The Sportsmen's Privacy Protection Act
Tuesday, February 07, 2006

NRA-Backed Ross-Doxey Self-Defense Bill
Introduced in Mississippi
Tuesday, January 10, 2006

San Francisco Backs Off-- For Now
Thursday, December 22, 2005

NRA to File Lawsuit Challenging
San Francisco Gun Ban
Wednesday, November 09, 2005

PRESIDENT BUSH SIGNS "PROTECTION OF
LAWFUL COMMERCE IN ARMS ACT"
LANDMARK NRA VICTORY NOW LAW
Wednesday, October 26, 2005

NRA AND FREEDOM WIN AGAIN
FEMA Changes Gun Policy in Temporary
Housing Units in Louisiana
Monday, October 24, 2005

HISTORIC VICTORY FOR NRA
U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES PASSES THE “PROTECTION OF LAWFUL COMMERCE IN ARMS ACT”
Thursday, October 20, 2005

NRA to Make Announcement at October 6th Press Conference
Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Major Victory For Firearms Owners And Freedom In Louisiana
Friday, September 23, 2005

Vermont Celebrates Nation`s First
"Hunter Appreciation Day"
Friday, September 23, 2005

Vermont to Hold Nation`s First "Hunter Appreciation Day"
Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Disaster Can’t Destroy Gun Rights
Monday, September 12, 2005

Important Statement From NRA Chief Lobbyist and Chairman of NRA’s Political Action Committee Chris W. Cox on Virginia’s Gubernatorial Race
Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Eight NRA-Backed Bills Take Effect in Texas September 1st
Monday, August 29, 2005

Kaine Continues to Mislead Virginia Voters on Second Amendment
Friday, August 26, 2005

NRA To Hold 2007 Convention in St. Louis
Thursday, August 04, 2005

NRA Launches National Boycott Against ConocoPhillips
Monday, August 01, 2005

Joint Statement by NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre and Chief Lobbyist Chris Cox On Passage of the "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act"
Friday, July 29, 2005

NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre Will Deliver Major News-Making Announcement at Town Hall Meeting in Idabel, OK, August 1
Friday, July 29, 2005

Statement from NRA Chief Lobbyist Chris W. Cox on False Statement by Violence Policy Center
Monday, July 25, 2005

ISSUES...

www.nraila.org/Issues/Default.aspx

" .50 Caliber Rifles

Ammunition

"Assault Weapons" & Semi-Autos

Background Checks/ NICS

Ballistic "Fingerprinting" (Registration)

Campaign Finance "Reform"

Crime & Criminal Justice

Emergency Powers Laws

Firearm Safety/Kids & Guns

Gun Shows

Handguns

Hunting/Conservation

International/UN Gun Control Issues

Parking Lot Protection and Private Property

Politics

Preemption Laws

Pro-Gun Groups & Anti-Gun Groups

Range Protection

Reckless Lawsuits

Registration & Licensing

Right-To-Carry

Second Amendment/Right To Arms

Self Defense/Castle Doctrine

"Smart" Guns/Personalized Firearms"

AMERICA'S FIRST FREEDOM magazine...

www.nrapublications.org/first%20freedom/index.asp

"Don't Miss Out On These Great Articles
in the February Issue!

NRA Victories: The Global Showdown At The U.N.
— By Avery Clark
Though the Bush administration denied consensus with the u.n.’s call for a worldwide gun ban, gun owners must continue the fight against these self-appointed, global gun police.

How To Keep A Republic — By Gina Schmidt, Managing Editor
Liberty Day, a non-partisan, non-profit group, has one goal — instilling in youth a sense of civic pride and understanding of our nation’s founding principles.

The Peters Principle
— By Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President
What happens when an Australian anti-gun zealot advances her fuzzy theories about crime, punishment and self-protection? She gets promoted to the U.N. by George Soros?

Sergeant York: Great Hero Of The Great War
— By Dave Kopel
A look at the life and battles of wwi soldier Alvin York, a pacifist who almost single-handedly killed 25 German fighters, captured another 132 others and was awarded the Medal of Honor.

Physician, Heal Thyself — By Gary Lantz
How “whacko” are animal “rights” whackos? Consider the recent call by an anti-hunting spokesman and surgeon calling for the murder of humans to protect animals.

135th NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits — By John Zent
Freedom’s Second Army will descend on Milwaukee, May 19 through 21, 2006, in an unmatched opportunity to reaffirm our principles, enrich our chosen lifestyles and fortify our collective will.

The Free Lunch — By Daniel T. McElrath
Knoxx Industries has carved a niche for itself by doing what supposedly couldn’t be done—reducing recoil easily, affordably and practically."

edited to add...

John
NRA Endowment Member
www.vcdl.org

Joey2
February 11, 2006, 08:37 PM
Rather than donate to the NRA how about paying for a membership for a friend who can't affort to join?

I let my membership runout after the NRA said they could live with the 1968 anti-gun law and again the NRA said they could live with the Brady Bill.

I am a life member of the GOA, if everybody would put the support they do behind the GOA rather than the NRA maybe we might have a strong 2d Amendment.:D

PX15
February 11, 2006, 10:12 PM
Is there a page that lists or goes over some of the NRA victories? Especially repealing bad laws. I feel like I should join but at the same time I hear everybody say how much they do but I don't see much of it here. I don't hear about the NRA making a stink in Springfield about the proposed illinois assault weapon ban. I don't see them working to end the foid system or waiting period or to get us concealed carry? Are they doing much to help people in california or the people in mass who can't buy guns newer than x date.

Honestly I'm seeing them as a group that talks big, but doesn't get alot accomplished, perhaps leans a little more toward hunters, and really is just out for my money and will promise a bunch of truck stop type merchandise to get it. Perhaps I'm wrong. I'm really just wanting to fund some good lobbyists. Not an attack, just saying what I see, I'd love to see some examples of how I'm wrong and why I should donate.

Soybomb:

Hey it's $35.00 a year.....................................

I don't know about where you live, but around here you can't take the wife out for a decent meal for less than $35.00.

All I need to know about the NRA is that Schumer, Kennedy, Feinstein and the "Brady Campaign" and other anti-gun liberals and anti-gun groups hate it with a passion.........

If they hate the NRA then the NRA is something I'm willing to support.

Same reasoning I have for thinking our new Supreme Court Justice Alito was a good choice for folks like myself. The liberals hate him - therefore I'm all for him.

My favorite bumper sticker of all time is still "Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns"

Think about it..

Best Wishes,

BigFatKen
February 11, 2006, 10:53 PM
I'm not old enough to be part of the second NRA (National Relief Act)
~1933. But I joined so long ago, life membership was $150. in the first NRA.

Soybomb
February 12, 2006, 12:22 AM
Soybomb:

Hey it's $35.00 a year.....................................

I don't know about where you live, but around here you can't take the wife out for a decent meal for less than $35.00.

All I need to know about the NRA is that Schumer, Kennedy, Feinstein and the "Brady Campaign" and other anti-gun liberals and anti-gun groups hate it with a passion.........

If they hate the NRA then the NRA is something I'm willing to support.

Same reasoning I have for thinking our new Supreme Court Justice Alito was a good choice for folks like myself. The liberals hate him - therefore I'm all for him.

My favorite bumper sticker of all time is still "Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns"

Think about it..

Best Wishes,

Its not a matter of cost, its a matter of if it actually does anything. If it does, I'd gladly give more than $35 a year, if its more marketing and propaganda machine though I won't waste my money. The bums on the corner only want a dollar or two also ;)

JohnBT thanks for the link I'll look it over this evening.

P-32
February 12, 2006, 12:42 AM

Life member here. All I know is if every gun owner in the US was a member of the NRA, we wouldn't be putting up with a bunch of crap from the lawmakers everytime somebody stubs their toe.

I don't always agree 100% with the NRA but then again I hardly agree 100% with everybody, at work, at home, at church or elected officials. I do have to say for the most part without the NRA we would have lost to the anti's long ago.

PX15
February 12, 2006, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=Soybomb]Its not a matter of cost, its a matter of if it actually does anything. If it does, I'd gladly give more than $35 a year, if its more marketing and propaganda machine though I won't waste my money. The bums on the corner only want a dollar or two also ;)
QUOTE]

Sobybomb:

Of course it's the cost.... If the NRA membership were free every gun owner would be a member.

Of course then the NRA wouldn't have any money to LOBBY congress with on our behalf.. There would be no money to counter the Brady bunch's ad's that tell America that you and I are nuts for wanting a firearm for personal protection, or to hunt with, or for whatever other reason we might want one for. There would be no money for the myriad of other reasons the NRA needs it for, on behalf of folks like you and I.

I'm a senior citizen... I've heard and read and observed the NRA in action for many decades. If you think the NRA doesn't have any political clout then you must spend too much time on other planets. Ease over to the "other" side of the 2nd Amendment spectrum and you will find the liberals and anti-gunners think of the NRA as the 800lb gorilla that is the primary object between a society of crazy gun owners and a safe, sane GUN FREE America.

No one is saying the NRA is perfect. I'm not saying every position they take is the position I would prefer. But in the long haul the truth of the matter is that the NRA is INDEED if not the only, certainly the biggest organization in the United States of America who has constantly defended the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution......

The NRA IS about marketing and propaganda. It HAS to be, because sadly that's what works in America today.. Our society is build around and seriously affected by correct marketing AND propaganda that is positive regarding the rights given to it's citizens in the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution.

If you can compare the NRA, and what it has done to promote our gun rights to the "bums on the corner who only want a dollar or two" you either have been sorely misled about the value of the NRA to the American citizen as firearm owners, or you simply are looking for a reason...

Hey, save your $35.00. Go out to eat. Whatever. If you in good conscience can accept the benefits, without feeling a need to contribute, derived for each of us by the NRA EVERY TIME some anti-gunner politician or group trys to chip away at our rights then that's your business.

I sincerely hope the NRA uses my $35.00 for more marketing and more effective propaganda, because sadly in America today that's what works.

You are certainly welcome to be offended by this post. I am an old fart, and should know better than to engage in such an argument as this as chances are the BOTH of us already have our minds up on this issue and won't be swayed by someone else's opinion.

You are welcome to nail me back, and then maybe we can let this argument die of it's own weight.

I firmly believe in a large measure if the United States had not an NRA all of these years we wouldn't even be having this discussion unless it was about baseball bats or knives or something. Because chances are the Clintons, Schumers, Kennedy's and Feinsteins of the world would have us disarmed long ago.

Of course that's just my opinion, you are welcome to yours.

Best Wishes,

J Pomeroy :banghead:

PX15
February 12, 2006, 10:54 AM
I'll probably renew, even though they haven't done squat for California. But sheesh, get a PR clue, NRA. :rolleyes:

R.H. Lee:

I respectfully suggest you NOT join the NRA this year.

Better yet, spend the $35.00 on a one way ticket just as far from the state of ********** as Greyhound will take you for that much money......

It's very difficult for even the NRA to do a whole lot in ********** when it seems the majority of people who live in ********** don't want help.

Next year when you live in a RED state you can join the NRA.

Lots of luck in your excape attempt.

Best Wishes,

JP

Soybomb
February 12, 2006, 12:46 PM
If you can compare the NRA, and what it has done to promote our gun rights to the "bums on the corner who only want a dollar or two" you either have been sorely misled about the value of the NRA to the American citizen as firearm owners, or you simply are looking for a reason...

Hey, save your $35.00. Go out to eat. Whatever. If you in good conscience can accept the benefits, without feeling a need to contribute, derived for each of us by the NRA EVERY TIME some anti-gunner politician or group trys to chip away at our rights then that's your business.

I sincerely hope the NRA uses my $35.00 for more marketing and more effective propaganda, because sadly in America today that's what works.

You are certainly welcome to be offended by this post. I am an old fart, and should know better than to engage in such an argument as this as chances are the BOTH of us already have our minds up on this issue and won't be swayed by someone else's opinion.

You are welcome to nail me back, and then maybe we can let this argument die of it's own weight.
Nah I don't want to nail anyone, I want you to be right in fact. I just wanted to be sure they actually have a history of actions to back up their claims. For instance, some mail order company that I have purchased from (I wish I knew who so I could never buy from them again) has apparently given/sold my address to the NRA. I got a letter in the mail yesterday asking me join. It promises me a hat, discounts, a magazine, invitations to events, discounts on hotel rentra, a window decal, and representation by a grass roots organization. Also included is a letter threatening me with hillary clintion, ted kennedy, fingerprinting, gun registration. Over three pages the only statement of success is "Since our formation over 134 years ago, the NRA has led the effort to defend the rights of law-abiding gun owners." To me thats alot of fright and little actual track record. I'm sure what I wrote/am writing seems inflamatory but their main sell seems to be buy a membership, you'll get a hat, the sky is falling, and trust us we're helping you. All that said, will I join? I've been doing some reading and probably. Do I feel like I owe my gun ownership to the NRA or that they're as effective of a political tool as they could be? No I'm not convinced of that either, I think the aclu does more with less. None the less if they do actually make positive differences as it seems, then its worth buying into that lifetime deal.

PlayboyPenguin
February 12, 2006, 01:13 PM

I used to be but I am no longer. I quit for many of the same reasons about money that you stated (who is getting all this cash???). The real thing that made me quit was when they had an ignorant old bigot like Chuck Heston on the podium as their mouth piece shouting "from my cold dead hands"...that single moment set the gun movement back ten years. It really re-enforced the stereotype of the crazed gun fanatic that the far left has tried so hard to ingrain into the average American's mind. My only concern is that they really are the only organization fighting for gun rights in Washington DC. If they could re-organize and get rid of the mobsters that have been running it (maybe they have since I quit) I would rejoin.

Meplat
February 12, 2006, 01:26 PM
The real thing that made me quit was when they had an ignorant old bigot like Chuck Heston on the podium as their mouth piece shouting "from my cold dead hands"...that single moment set the gun movement back ten years.

Ah yes. That ignorant old bigot Charlie Heston. Shame how he marched with MLK during the Civil Rights Era the way he did. Shame he took such a stance. Bigotted as hell, that was. Utterly shameful behavior.

On the bright side, I hear they are selling clues on eBay. You might want to put a bid in. You need one.

PlayboyPenguin
February 12, 2006, 01:32 PM
Ah yes. That ignorant old bigot Charlie Heston. Shame how he marched with MLK during the Civil Rights Era the way he did. Shame he took such a stance. Bigotted at hell, that was. Utterly shameful behavior.

On the bright side, I hear they are selling clues on eBay. You might want to put a bid in. You need one.

Actually, you might want to get one. The only reason Heston marched with King was to derail some anti-black and anti-jewish statements he had been making that were hurting his career. It was a publicity stunt to try and save his lively hood. Take a look on the internet at some of the things Heston has said in his life. You will find no shortage of racial slurs, homophobic statements, and just general hateful speech. Just check some of the things he was quoted saying when he was shooting "Ben Hur". The directors said they had to lie to him about the historical references because he was so against inter-racial relationships and anything that might be construde as gay. There is a reason that alot of the anti-gun commercials in California and New york repeatidly showed that clip of Heston. Heston has spent the last 20 years giving speeches and interviews trying to paint himself as not being a bigot because of the things he did before he realized what an affect it would have on his career. If someone has to defend themselves this much I start to wonder if it is sincere or just self preservation. I do believe that he could have changed his opinion since his younger days since people do change but in this case I doubt it. lets not forget that in 2002 heston blamed America's high violent crime rate on "mixed ethnicity". I do love his quote he made about guns though..."Here's my credo. There are no good guns, There are no bad guns. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a good man is no threat to anyone, except bad people."-C. Heston

Husker1911
February 12, 2006, 01:41 PM
The real thing that made me quit was when they had an ignorant old bigot like Chuck Heston on the podium as their mouth piece shouting "from my cold dead hands"...that single moment set the gun movement back ten years. It really re-enforced the stereotype of the crazed gun fanatic that the far left has tried so hard to ingrain into the average American's mind.

PP, since you find this image so abhorrent, I take it you're more reasonable than this cold, hard stereotype. And being more reasonable, please tell me just which gun rights you're willing to fork over, excuse me, I mean "compromise." As for myself, I'm convinced far too many constitutional rights have already been forfeited by more reasonable and sadly misguided gun owners.

Don of Kalifornia
February 12, 2006, 01:48 PM
I'm amazed at how uneducated and ignorant those that know very little about the NRA are. Komminefornia the the ONLY state besides Fairfax that has their onw NRA office, with a full time secretary and full time lobbist. In addition Kommiefornia is the only state with a real grassroots NRA organization "The NRA Member's Councils".

Those of you that do not understand Kommiefornia politics, the state just barely passes most anti gun bills by only a vote, this is because the state senate and assembly are control by those from Losa Angeles county or the San Francisco Bay Area, the rest of the state is quite conservative. Over 2/3 of the area in Kommiefornia was red in the 2004 election.

Please people know what your talking about before posting so of the ignorant drivel this post has generated.

February 12, 2006, 01:48 PM
i agree with the view shared by many of my fellow NRA members- while the NRA isn't perfect, it IS the most effective and respected political voice we have for maintaining and strengthening our second amendment rights. i'm proud to be associated with this fine organization :)

PlayboyPenguin
February 12, 2006, 01:53 PM
Those of you that do not understand Kommiefornia politics, the state just barely passes most anti gun bills by only a vote, this is because the state senate and assembly are control by those from Losa Angeles county or the San Francisco Bay Area, the rest of the state is quite conservative. Over 2/3 of the area in Kommiefornia was red in the 2004 election..

Don, post some of the info about the votes. Would love to see which laws passed by how much. Now is the time to educate the ignorant.:)

Don of Kalifornia
February 12, 2006, 02:03 PM
Both SB 23 and SB 15 made it on a 41 pass vote by a lot of arm twisting, in other words dems that did not really support the bills, but needed one of their pet bills passed, both were also passed on the last day to pass a bill..The 50 cal bill was the same way except it took three years of pushing by Paul Kortz to finally get it passed again by 41 vote (out of 80 votes).

How do I know this?..I was up in Sacramento working against theese bills in 1999, when talking to the staffer they all would say how the calls against were aroound 100-1..if not more. It was a few liberal dems that pushed and pushed until these bills got passed.

PlayboyPenguin
February 12, 2006, 02:05 PM
Both SB 23 and SB 15 made it on a 41 pass vote by a lot of arm twisting, in other words dems that did not really support the bills, but needed one of their pet bills passed, both were also passed on the last day to pass a bill..The 50 cal bill was the same way except it took three years of pushing by Paul Kortz to finally get it passed again by 41 vote (out of 80 votes).

How do I know this?..I was up in Sacramento working against theese bills in 1999, when talking to the staffer they all would say how the calls against were aroound 100-1..if not more. It was a few liberal dems that pushed and pushed until these bills got passed. Any links to voting results? Any particular bills we could look at?

Don of Kalifornia
February 12, 2006, 02:07 PM
Dude, your hopeless, I think your some anti-gun troll..

Don of Kalifornia
February 12, 2006, 02:10 PM
I have no problem buying both life memberships for my wife and myself, I also buy life memberships for some good pro gun friends..It's my money and I spend mine how I wish, that includes supporting the NRA.

Meplat
February 12, 2006, 02:32 PM
Actually, you might want to get one.

Nah. I'm not the one postulating that legal full auto ownership might lead to mass killings in Michigan just like it has in other states (that's sarcasm, in case you missed it), or that perhaps criminals are getting their firearms from manufacturers who are "dumping huge quantities of cheap and illegal weapons" on the open market when he obviously have NO IDEA of how tightly controlled the industry is. That would be you.

The only reason Heston marched with King was to derail some anti-black and anti-jewish statements he had been making that were hurting his career.

Perhaps that would hold some water, except for all the holes in the bucket. Heston was a devoted democratic supporter in the mid fifties, long before Ben-Hur was filmed (in '58) or released later. And do you think MLK was so shallow as to accept such "help"? Personally, I think he was far too intelligent a man to not recognize pandering, and had enough integrity to reject it. This was the late fifties and early sixties, for cryin' out loud. Racists statements, if they had been made, would NOT carry the consequences they do today. If anything, at that point in history, being associated with the civil rights movement hurt a person's career much more than it helped. The clue statement still stands. As far as to any "flagging" or "failing" in his movie career immediately following "Ben-Hur" and before marching with Dr. King in 1963, you certainly can't tell it from his filmography or box office success during this era.

It was a publicity stunt to try and save his lively hood.

See above.

Take a look on the internet at some of the things Heston has said in his life. You will find no shortage of racial slurs, homophobic statements, and just general hateful speech.

I have looked on the internet and I have not been able to find these references. Care to point me to some sites?

Just check some of the things he was quoted saying when he was shooting "Ben Hur".

See above.

Cites?

PlayboyPenguin
February 12, 2006, 02:33 PM
Hopeless? I just wanted to see what people voted yes and what people voted no. I was never doubting your info just wanting to be able to read it. Now you sound like you do not want to back up that information. You are from California. that info should be public record.

PlayboyPenguin
February 12, 2006, 02:38 PM
I have looked on the internet and I have not been able to find these references. Care to point me to some sites?

How about contibuting gun violence to the "mixed enthnicity" of our country or when he told the director of Ben-Hur he did not want to make a "faggot picture". There are two...find the rest yourself. It will be good practice researching both sides of an argument.

JohnBT
February 12, 2006, 02:43 PM
"The real thing that made me quit was when they had an ignorant old bigot like Chuck Heston"

Do you get a kick out of embarrassing yourself in public? Charlton Heston a bigot? What world do you live in? Yes, I read your recent post - pure foolishness and drivel.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/08/0828_030828_martinlutherking.html

"The 1963 "March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom" ...

The turnout was greater than anyone had expected. "Freedom trains" and "freedom buses" shuttled an estimated 250,000 people to Washington. U.S. Senators and Representatives came. So did celebrities like Jackie Robinson, Paul Newman, Marlon Brando, Sidney Poitier, Harry Belafonte, Charlton Heston, and Bob Dylan. Singer Josephine Baker flew in from Paris."

John

edited to delete a spurious e

brentwal
February 12, 2006, 02:47 PM
I might not agree with the NRA 100%, but it's the best weapon we have against the gungrabbers.

So yes, I'm a member.

JohnBT
February 12, 2006, 02:49 PM
Google is useful as always... www.tellingpictures.com/films/cc/cc_cast.html

"Gore Vidal

Author, essayist, cultural critic and screenwriter Gore Vidal recounts his battles with the censors over his screen adaptation of Tennessee Williams' Suddenly, Last Summer. Vidal also talks about working on William Wyler's Ben-Hur, and how he contrived to add a subtext of homoerotic longing between the Charlton Heston and Stephen Boyd characters -- unbeknownst to Heston"

I think I'd object too if somebody started sneaking around and changing the script of a movie I'd signed up to do.

John

Meplat
February 12, 2006, 03:32 PM
How about contibuting gun violence to the "mixed enthnicity" of our country or when he told the director of Ben-Hur he did not want to make a "faggot picture". There are two...find the rest yourself. It will be good practice researching both sides of an argument.

Okay, troll. I stated quite clearly that I could find NO reference that supported your claims, after having looked. You come back with two "supposed" quotes with NO cites. Anyone can make up and attribute quotes to anyone else. As far as I have been able to ascertain thus far, you have just illustrated that point.

As to the "find the rest yourself" portion...not even a neat cop-out to a valid request.

Troll.

Sheesh.

glove
February 12, 2006, 04:25 PM
Love your second amendment gun rights join the NRA
When they take your guns away don't say I wish I joined. Liked they tried during the Clinton administration.
Dave

Ohen Cepel
February 12, 2006, 04:28 PM
This comes up every couple of months.

From my sig line it's obvious how I feel. They are the best game in town and I think a good investment for our future and our kids.

They are not always perfect. Neither are women, but I don't like the other options.

NineseveN
February 13, 2006, 01:57 AM
...and thus, as always, we degrade into name calling and finger pointing. Good grief people, The High Road?

I think not. :rolleyes:

IndianaDean
February 13, 2006, 03:38 AM
Jews For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership, the best group I've found to date.
I try to support as many 2nd Amendment organizations as I can afford.

PX15
February 13, 2006, 07:30 AM
Nah I don't want to nail anyone, I want you to be right in fact. I just wanted to be sure they actually have a history of actions to back up their claims. .

Soybomb:

OK, I've had my fiber, zoloft and a good nights sleep. In reflection I think my comments to you yesterday were a bit below the line of good taste and I sincerely apologize for them..

In my advancing semi-senility sometimes I am guilty of putting my mouth in motion before putting my brain in gear.

Sorry,

J. Pomeroy

Meplat
February 13, 2006, 08:52 AM
Jews For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership, the best group I've found to date.

JFPFO is a very fine organization, and you gotta love their motto of "Never Again!" There's a group of folks who UNDERSTAND what the loss of gun ownership can mean. GOA is yet another great grass roots organization. I think the fact that as many people as possible belong to as many organizations as possible who fight for our RKBA is a very positive thing.

But we all have to admit, it's the NRA who Sarah Brady and company love to hate. There has to be a reason for that. Yes, joining in January and then getting monthly notices that your dues are about to run out from March on is a pain, but lets face it, how many other mailings do we get that we just chunk without even opening? It never fails that when I get an early "reupment" notice, I also discard at least three usurus loan offers, two or three credit card net casting letters, and probably at least one car dealership offer for the "deal of a lifetime". What do I get in return? Well, for thirty five bucks, I get an excellent magazine of my choice. Which has nothing to do with why I join. I automatically get a set amount of free gun insurance, which is not why I join. I get the chance to purchase, at a very reasonable amount, extra insurance for my guns if I so desire (not a single homeowner's insurance company in my area offers a rider for firearms at any price). Again, not why I join. My kids and I have had the opportinity to shoot at a range that the NRA has helped to build, maintain and insure. The police in my area owe a lot of their training to the NRA. All great and good things, but once again, not the reason I am a member.

The main reason I join is what I have stated earlier, and still firmly believe. Were it not for the NRA, there would be no reason to join JFPFO, GOA, or any other organization. Our rights would have been history long ago. Politicians FEAR the NRA, with good reason. Tread on the Second while in elected office, and you WILL have to deal with them. There's reason enough right there. The best I can hope for as an individual cititzen is to be a very minor gnat inflicting only minor irritation to anti-gun politicians even on a local level. As a member of the NRA, I am part of a body that becomes a hornet with a real stinger. One that cannot be ignored. When I spit in some grabber's eye, I want the gob to be big enough for them to feel. For thirty five dollars (and yes, money is more than tight here) I get the satisfaction of knowing that I can at least be a part of bloodying the nose of someone who wants to deprive me of a God given, Constitutionally recognized right. Cheap at twice the cost, I think.

NineseveN
February 13, 2006, 09:31 AM
Beware the enemy that unveils the path to their defeat, it is surely a trap.

;)

bdutton
February 13, 2006, 09:58 AM
Absolutely YES.

Both for the need of a competitive governing body and as the most successful grass roots lobbying organization in the US.

civilian
February 13, 2006, 11:56 AM
I'm torn about NRA. The organization seems to have lost its direction, though in my mind they continue to be the big axe that we can wield in maintaining our 2-rights. I'm considering dropping my membership and sticking to the $200 I pay them each year for the HQS range membership.

PlayboyPenguin
February 13, 2006, 01:33 PM
Being half jewish on my dads side (which actually makes me not at all jewish), I almost thought this was a joke until I found some more info. Thanks for the lead. Not going to find a stronger argument than that one very easily.

YankeeRebel
February 13, 2006, 02:41 PM
As has been reported on several sites, Kansas is considering conceal carry legislation. Week before last a Senate comittie held hearings on the bill and I was there for the hearing. A woman representating the NRA was there and testified for the bill. She did a good job of bringing in the fact that many women are in favor of CC and it not just the men. We got our monies worth from her.

Still not sure if the gov will sign the bill into law. The bill has passed the Senate and now goes to the House and should be on the gov's desk by March first. Hope she does, but I am not holding my breath.

PlayboyPenguin
February 13, 2006, 02:47 PM
As has been reported on several sites, Kansas is considering conceal carry legislation. Week before last a Senate comittie held hearings on the bill and I was there for the hearing. A woman representating the NRA was there and testified for the bill. She did a good job of bringing in the fact that many women are in favor of CC and it not just the men. We got our monies worth from her.

Still not sure if the gov will sign the bill into law. The bill has passed the Senate and now goes to the House and should be on the gov's desk by March first. Hope she does, but I am not holding my breath.

I took the firearms class again the other day just to see if I was right about something ( I had argued with another board person that in oregon just drawing your weapon and having it it in your hand where others can see it is considered brandishing and that you did not have to wave it around or do something overtly aggressive. The instructor confirmed this to be true. ) and I noticed that 7 of the 12 people in the class were female...4 of them elderly.

3fgburner
February 13, 2006, 03:10 PM
Had the bucks, and plan to live long enough for it to pay for itself. I also got tired of those whinges "from" LaPierre every six months, to renew early. I'm an NRA member primarily for the bennies. I don't contribute to ILA or PVF. I did tell 'em not to call me any more.

For ass-kickin' gun-rights activism, I support GOA (http://www.gunowners.org)at the national level. In-state, I'm an active member of the Virginia Citizens Defense League (http://www.vcdl.org). Q: What's the difference between VCDL and NRA lobbyists? A: NRA lobbyists don't wear guns in the General Assembly building.

I've been known to call up NRA and ream them for trying to weaken a VCDL-promoted bill. Those morons will "compromise" even when a bill is a slam-dunk to pass, as-is. BTW, it's easier to get into the building if you have a gun permit. Show permit, tell 'em you're packing, walk through, don't worry about the detector going off. No permit, get frisked - even if you're a teen-age girl who just happens to be wearing jewelry.

IndianaDean
February 13, 2006, 08:38 PM
You're welcome for the JPfO link. I also support GOA, the Second Amendment Foundation, along with the NRA.

And it's correct about the NRA, they're the first ones the media zeroes in on. Tonight when they were talking about Cheney and the hunting accident they stated he was a member of the NRA.

I'd like to see these other groups get bigger and bigger, putting pressure on the NRA to not give in to compromises. Whenever good and evil compromise, evil wins.

mp510
February 13, 2006, 09:41 PM
For me, it is a way to help promote a political item that I support and I enjoy being part of an organization. I am an annual member, and the magazines that I get 1st Freedom, American Rifleman are wonderful.

RaySendero
February 18, 2006, 10:08 AM
Don's quote regarding PlayboyPenguin

Who is this guy PlayboyPenguin?

A big tree hugging republican liberal
Joined in Feb 2006
Already 350+ posts (25+ posts per day)
Senior Member??????????
Just acquired 1st rifle but doesn't have room in safe for it, seemingly to indicated large ownership of handguns ---- then
Says has bought Beretta tomcat .32 but wants to know what would be good for CCW - Duh!!!!!!
Certainly can't say anything on this thread positive about the NRA

Looks like a troll, sounds like a troll, even smells!
PlayboyPenguin, Dude you just topped my ignore list!

February 18, 2006, 10:46 AM

Some of us don't feel like the Second Amendment is a hobby.
So, you just stay out of NRA, and those of us that believe this is all more than a hobby will continue to support and protect YOUR rights. We don't mind, we've been doing it for years anyway.

+1
My wife and I are life members.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA Or Not" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!