Virginia handgun purchase questions

PDA

VinnyT
December 16, 2005, 09:50 PM
I have been told that if you possess a Virginia CCW(Virginia resident), you can purchase more than one handgun within 30 days. Is this correct and has anyone done this? Thanks, V.

If you enjoyed reading about "Virginia handgun purchase questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
00blkgt
December 16, 2005, 09:53 PM
Not that I'm aware of. You may be able to find out at packing.org
J

atblis
December 16, 2005, 09:55 PM
and yes I have.

VinnyT
December 16, 2005, 09:58 PM
All I need is my CCW? No extra paperwork to sign with the Virginia State Police? Man, the Salem gun show is this weekend! I bought a Glock two weeks ago and thought I could only buy a rifle or something similar. Looks like a Springfield XD tomorrow!

TOADMAN
December 16, 2005, 10:00 PM
Yes... I have...

cavman
December 16, 2005, 10:07 PM
the "greater than one hangun purchase per 30 days" prohibition is no longer a prohibition if the purchaser is a permit holder

Gixerman1000
December 16, 2005, 10:11 PM
Yep, you sure can

VinnyT
December 16, 2005, 10:14 PM
Crap, I've been waiting 30 days with all my purchases! Is there a limit per day? I was thinking of getting my fiancee a small pistol as well as a pistol for me too!

BullfrogKen
December 16, 2005, 10:43 PM
FYI - More than 2 handgun purchases a month will flag your buying activity to the BATFE. Not trying to make you paranoid; just be aware.

SouthpawShootr
December 16, 2005, 10:48 PM
Absolutely, you can. I've done it lots of times. Sure beats having to get VASP multiple purchase permits if you don't have a concealed carry permit.

Far as I've been able to ascertain, no limit on how many per day as long as you have that concealed carry permit.

Mal H
December 16, 2005, 11:49 PM
The 30 day question isn't even on the VA form any longer.

countertop
December 17, 2005, 01:37 AM
FYI - More than 2 handgun purchases a month will flag your buying activity to the BATFE. Not trying to make you paranoid; just be aware.

Uh, not quite. Just a bit of the typical internet paranoia.

Reminds me of that Kinks song.

Met a girl called lola and I took her back to my place
Feelin’ guilty, feelin’ scared, hidden cameras everywhere
Stop! hold on. stay in control

Girl, I want you here with me
But I’m really not as cool as I’d like to be
’cause there’s a red, under my bed
And there’s a little yellow man in my head
And there’s a true blue inside of me
That keeps stoppin’ me, touchin’ ya, watchin’ ya, lovin’ ya

Paranoia, the destroyer.
Paranoia, the destroyer.

Well I fell asleep, then I woke feelin’ kinda’ queer
Lola looked at me and said, ooh you look so weird.
She said, man, there’s really something wrong with you.
One day you’re gonna’ self-destruct.
You’re up, you’re down, I can’t work you out
You get a good thing goin’ then you blow yourself out.

Silly boy ya’ self-destroyer. silly boy ya’ self-destroyer

Silly boy you got so much to live for
So much to aim for, so much to try for
You blowing it all with paranoia
You’re so insecure you self-destroyer

(and it goes like this, here it goes)
Paranoia, the destroyer
(here it goes again)
Paranoia, the destroyer

Dr. dr. help me please, I know you’ll understand
There’s a time device inside of me, I’m a self-destructin’ man
There’s a red, under my bed
And there’s a little green man in my head
And he said, you’re not goin’ crazy, you’re just a bit sad
’cause there’s a man in ya, knawin’ ya, tearin’ ya into two.

Silly boy ya’ self-destroyer.
Paranoia, the destroyer

Self-destroyer, wreck your health
Destroy friends, destroy yourself
The time device of self-destruction
Light the fuse and start eruption

(yea, it goes like this, here it goes)
Paranoia, the destroyer
(here’s to paranoia)
Paranoia, the destroyer
(hey hey, here it goes)
Paranoia, the destroyer
(and it goes like this)

Paranoia, the destroyer
(and it goes like this.)

BullfrogKen
December 17, 2005, 02:33 AM
Uh, not quite. Just a bit of the typical internet paranoia.

OK . . . . So I was off in the number of days. Its 5. Its not paranoia when its the law.

(F5) As a licensed dealer, must I advise ATF if I sell more than one handgun to an individual?

If you sell more than one handgun to any nonlicensee during a period of 5 consecutive business days, the sale must be reported on ATF Form 3310.4, Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers, and forwarded to the ATF office specified on the form no later than the close of business on the day the second handgun was sold. A copy of the form must also be sent to the state police or the local law enforcement agency where the sale occurred. A copy must also be kept in the records of the dealer. [18 U. S. C. 923( g)( 3), 27 CFR 178.126a]
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#f5

Majic
December 17, 2005, 07:35 AM
That law only applies if you buy from the same dealer, but it means nothing as I have bought multiple guns at the same time on numerous occasions for several years and have heard nothing from the BATFE. My dealer did say once they contacted him about one of my purchases, but it was just to clarify paperwork.

Shootcraps
December 17, 2005, 07:54 AM
No limit if you have CCW. I've done it lots of times.

Namvet
December 17, 2005, 09:38 AM
Although the 30 day question is no longer on the form, I was asked by a dealer (during a recent handgun purchase) if I had purchased a handgun in the last 30 days, even though I used my CHL as secondary ID. I answered that I had not. I was put on "hold" which has never happened to me before! Later, realized that I purchased a handgun 28 days earlier. This is why I was put on hold, but the transaction did go through after about a half-hour. I guess the 30 day thing is still out there, even for CHL holders under certain circumstances.
DRC

SouthpawShootr
December 17, 2005, 11:31 AM
Although the 30 day question is no longer on the form, I was asked by a dealer (during a recent handgun purchase) if I had purchased a handgun in the last 30 days, even though I used my CHL as secondary ID. I answered that I had not. I was put on "hold" which has never happened to me before! Later, realized that I purchased a handgun 28 days earlier. This is why I was put on hold, but the transaction did go through after about a half-hour. I guess the 30 day thing is still out there, even for CHL holders under certain circumstances.
DRC

Something similar had happened to me. I gave my CHL as a secondary ID and informed the dealer (as I always do) that I had already bought a handgun in the last 30 days. Well, apparently with the new forms and the electronic submission page, there is a box that specifies that no previous purchase has been made in the last 30 days (don't remember the wording). Another box specifies that the purchaser had already bought a handgun in the last 30. Well, the dealer checked the wrong box and, even though my CHL is on file with VASP, I was delayed by the automatic system until a real live person could examine the "case" and contact the dealer. About 30 min later they called my dealer with the auth number and I went home with my purchase. If the dealer doesn't check the right box (or you don't tell them you have a previous purchase in the last 30) you'll get delayed. Depending upon the traffic on the VASP system at the time, you may not even notice a delay or you may twiddle you thumbs for a while. I usually clear immediately and my dealer knows this and recognized her mistake, but still had to wait until they manually examined my purchase.

Not informing a dealer of a previous purchase within the same 30 days and answering the question as "No" on the old form technically was a felony. However, I suspect they had trouble prosecuting this one successfully (never heard of somebody being prosecuted for this, neither has my FFL). The question disappeared before the law empowering CHL holders to buy more than one was passed. An FFL told me some time ago that a second purchase attempt within 30 days by a non-CHL holder would simply bring a denial, no blue lights. So the one in 30 is still there, just modified a bit. I'll admit that, before my CHL, on more than one occasion I had real trouble remembering that I had purchased within the preceeding 30 days. Missed out on a couple of deals b/c of this. I did the multiple purchase permit one time before I got my CHL, decided it was too much hassle to attempt again.

If you enjoyed reading about "Virginia handgun purchase questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!