Soldier Shoots Buds with Machine Gun

PDA

Leatherneck
April 6, 2003, 09:10 AM
Just heard on FNC that a soldier in Iraq with the 101st was "cleaning" his "machine gun" and fired about 20 shots, wounding three of his mates. Can't find any info yet, but the very knowledgable reporter :rolleyes: said that the soldier normally carries "more than 100 bullets" so this was really lucky. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TC
TFL Survivor

If you enjoyed reading about "Soldier Shoots Buds with Machine Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
J Miller
April 6, 2003, 10:04 AM
but the very knowledgable reporter said that the soldier normally carries "more than 100 bullets"

OK, a box of bullets is small, but did this knowledgale(?) reporter say where he carried the cases, powder, primers, and the Dillon to load them with? :banghead:

I know it's trivial, but I wish these mouthy idiots would use the correct terminology. It would make a lot more sence to say; "more than a 100 rounds". :rolleyes:

Dannyboy
April 6, 2003, 10:54 AM
If he fired 20 rounds then I'm assuming when they say "machine gun" that they actually mean a machine gun i.e. SAW or 240, and not an M16. Either way, I don't see how you can fire a SAW or 240 if you're cleaning it.

PsyWarrior
April 6, 2003, 07:56 PM
I saw the report also and am left wondering myself. The only thing I can figure is that after cleaning and reloading (either a saw or 240) he decided to fire off a few rounds and didn't look where he was firing. When cleaning any firearm, the first thing I always do is unload. This does not include getting anywhere near the trigger. So, firing after cleaning as a function check (think of bombers in WWII, clear your weapons) is the only thing I can figure. That or he fragged them on purpose and tried to explain it away as an accident.

Hkmp5sd
April 6, 2003, 08:01 PM
Just out of curiosity, do the SEALs or any other US force still use the belt-fed Stoner or has it been retired?

Blackhawk
April 6, 2003, 08:02 PM
More details needed....

Since Geraldo's been kicked out, who's the embed with the 101st?

Standing Wolf
April 6, 2003, 09:00 PM
I know it's trivial, but I wish these mouthy idiots would use the correct terminology. It would make a lot more sence to say; "more than a 100 rounds".

No, it's not trivial. When I encounter inaccuracy of that sort, I know I'm in—or was in—the hands of an incompetent journalist.

c_yeager
April 7, 2003, 04:56 AM
Im with Standing Wolf on this one. We notice these kindof errors because we are INTO guns. Just think about it this way. If you notice discrepencies like this from a field that you are familier with just imagine how many other errors there are that slip under your radar cause they are concerning things that you arent interested in. If a reporter who is actually in the field with a bunch of soldiers and STILL cant tellt he difference between a bullet and a cartridge just image how much other crap he has failed to notice. To me this sort of thing puts the whole article into question.

swingset
April 7, 2003, 05:03 AM
I heard on FNC it was a SAW machine gun, he was in a room or tent with his fellow soldiers, apparently cleaning it. He had 19 rounds (on the belt apparently), and when it "went off" (their words, not mine), he couldn't stop it.

It sort of sounds like a slam-fire or discharge from cycling the action. In any case, numbnuts shouldn't have had it loaded up with soldiers downrange. Idiot.

Hopefully these guys live.

Triad
April 7, 2003, 05:56 AM
I've heard that with the M60 the sear can break and the only way to stop it firing is to twist the belt so that it jams the gun. Can something like that happen with the SAW?

Leatherneck
April 7, 2003, 06:06 AM
Don't know if we'll ever get the facts of this. Consensus seems to be that it was a SAW. Maybe a combat-weary soldier neglected to remove ammo before a quick cleaning?
the hands of an incompetent journalist. Quit with the oxymorons, already. :D

TC
TFL Survivor

Labinnac
April 7, 2003, 09:25 AM
With SAWs the first thing you would do to "clean" the weapon would be to open the top cover. If there was a belt still in the weapon it would fall out when you opened the top cover. The top cover contains the feed mechanism the reciever only has a flat tray that the rounds slide on.

He must have been brushing sand off the outside of the weapon with the top cover closed, a belt loaded, the weapon charged, and the safety OFF like a moron. Anyone trained to operate one and still does this should be drug into the sand and beaten with a rubber hose.

In that situation, if he pulled the trigger, he would fire the weapon and 20 rounds going off before he stopped it seems fairly reasonable. Pulling the trigger however had to be deliberate. The weapon won't mysteriously "fire" on it's own.

They will "runaway" some times. This is when they keep firing even after the trigger is released. The best way to deal with that is to simply yank on the belt. The added tension will cause a stoppage.

If you enjoyed reading about "Soldier Shoots Buds with Machine Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!