Rookie Undecided

PDA

Freddie
December 17, 2005, 07:37 PM
I have been reading and also listening to what all of you have told me and I am now undecided between the RCBS Rock Chucker Master Supreme Kit and the Lyman Crusher II Expert Kit for my first press..
I want to get one of these two...

Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated..

If you enjoyed reading about "Rookie Undecided" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bullet
December 17, 2005, 08:00 PM
ROCK CHUCKER !!!

But I say this because this is what I have and it works great. Donít know about Lyman.

dakotasin
December 17, 2005, 08:18 PM
all i can really offer you is that i am very satisfied w/ my rock chucker. if i had the whole purchase to do all over again, i would go rockchucker.

good luck.

Freddie
December 17, 2005, 08:37 PM
Are Lee Carbide dies ok to use or do I need more expensive ones?

AFhack
December 17, 2005, 09:16 PM
Are Lee Carbide dies ok to use or do I need more expensive ones?

They work great for me, but I only reload 45 ACP. Not sure if there's a difference with other sets.

bfox
December 17, 2005, 09:34 PM
Hi Freddie

Before you decide you ought to look at the
Lee Classic Cast at Midwayusa .
Its about half the price and getting
great reviews .

Bill

pbhome71
December 18, 2005, 12:44 AM
Freddie,

Regarding Lee carbide, it works great. I have one for 38/357, and one for 45ACP. I also have RCBS for 9mm.

The different is that:
a) Lee is cheaper
b) Lee uses o-ring v.s. RCBS's brass set screw to lock the die setting. IMHO, they are just different.
c) Lee has a deluxe 4 dies set V.S. RCBS 3 dies set. The extra Lee die is Factory crimp die (FCD). There are many opinions about this. I like it for my 357. Many don't.

Regarding the press, are you getting the whole kit, or just the press? The nice thing is the hand primer. I have one for about 6 years. It works great.

I have no experience with Uniflow. But noticed that many folks has them. The RCBS reloading manual #13 is nice. I always read it.

Good Luck,

-Pat

Winger Ed.
December 18, 2005, 02:13 AM
They're both good. Them and the Hornady or Dillon are too. RCBS seems to be more popular, and more people have them. But I often think its only because RCBS is more agressive at selling their products, and more dealers/distributors carry them, which makes them easier to find/buy.

As far as quality, I doubt there's any difference.

Now, I do really like my old Hornady 007 because the opening is offset to one side a little. Being left handed, its easier and faster to get cases in & out of it. A Rock Chucker fell into my lap a few years ago, and I use it; but I sure prefer the old 007.

Nothing wrong with Lee carbide dies either.
In fact, they forced the industry offer and sell them at something lower than the price of a new Cessna when they brought them out in the 80's. I've had 'issues' with their bottleneck rifle dies, but I use the heck out of their carbide dies for .357 & .45ACP.

I don't know how many spent LP primers are in a gallon, but I collected a full gallon of them under my Pro-Jector from loading .45ACPs over a few years. They all passed through the bottom of a Lee carbide sizer. And its still on the job too!

P-32
December 18, 2005, 03:48 AM
Let me tell you about the Lee dies I bought for 38/357 mag back in the late 80's. I bought these right after I got my Smith 686. I only loaded '06 before. The dies were carbide and it felt like I was running rocks through the sizing die rather than brass. Didn't know better. Then I got a 1911 and borrowed a buddies RCBS carbides. Holy smoke, these were smooth as silk. I bought RCBS carbides in 38/357 and have continued to do so as I've added different pistols/calibers to my brace. I have never looked back.

I read time and time again about needing to use the Lee FCD to get pistol rounds to feed. This simply has not been any thing I've needed to do. I believe the Lee dies are popular with those who reload on a progressive as they are way cheaper than the Dillon carbides.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rookie Undecided" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!