Impulse Gun Buys?

PDA

6inch
December 18, 2005, 11:31 AM
Ever done it? How did it work out for ya?

Here's my story. Not that long ago I got the bug to get into wheel guns. Went to a large GS just to peruse the selection. I went in thinking about a .357 Mag and was attracted to the Smith an Wesson section. Then I spotted a .44 Mag 6 1/2". I asked to see it and BAM! I was hooked. Did a little haggling and headed to the checkout.

Just to make it clear, I had no idea what I was about to purchase. It was a Smith and Wesson .44 Mag, that's it. This was truly an impluse buy! At the checkout (different person that showed me the handgun) the guy asked me it this was my first 629 Classic? I was stunned for a moment but answered "yes", "You'll like it" he said. Well, that turned out to be an understatement. I loved it. Not don't tell anyone but the first time I fired the thing I believe I giggled.
:rolleyes:

I've since purchased the 8 3/8" 629 Classic and 2 686's ( 4" and a 6"+).

To answer the second part of my question, it worked out GREAT!!

So, any others with an impluse buy story?

If you enjoyed reading about "Impulse Gun Buys?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexasRifleman
December 18, 2005, 11:35 AM

Is there another way to buy a gun? :evil:

I think I've only researched and planned out one gun purchase, ever.

50caliber123
December 18, 2005, 11:38 AM
I "impulsed" on a hi-point 996 9mm carbine. Best HD carbine I bought. And at $150....

Another time, at Dunham's, I had the same thing happen with a Mosin-Nagant M1938. All matching serial numbers, mint condition, LAST ONE and ON SALE $69.99, I snatched her up in a heartbeat...

Both shoot much better than you would think, based on what I paid. GREAT investment!

Tom Servo
December 18, 2005, 11:40 AM
My gun purchases run roughly 50/50 in terms of research. I've never actually seen a gun and bought it right then, but I've gotten a couple that I didn't "need" a few days after seeing them in a shop. S&W 1911PD and Sig P245 fall into that category. I handled them in a shop, and then I realized I had to have them.

trueblue1776
December 18, 2005, 11:46 AM
I guess I can read all I want, that all goes away when I hold it for the first time.

jsalcedo
December 18, 2005, 12:36 PM
I've screwed myself over many times with impulse buys.

MAS 49/56

Beretta .32 acp (jaguar) or something

Kel-tec 32

Brazilian .22 mag single shot target pistol

many others

Luckily the shops I go to stand behind their used guns and let me exchange
the defective crap guns I bought.

The other impulse buys that turned out to be miserable pieces of junk I sold at the gun show for a loss or for trade.

Here is what I learned:

Winchester, smith and wesson, dan wesson, colt, remington, marlin, sig, ruger, taurus are fairly safe impulse buys. The guns are higher quality and if you don't like it you can pretty much sell it for what you paid.

therealsteamer
December 18, 2005, 12:36 PM
A few years ago I started a late 2nd shift job. My wife wanted to get her own SD/HD pistol, so.......... I took her to the local gun show to see what was available. Found a Mak for $79 w/ holster and 2 mags, dude was gonna even throw in a box of ammo. This was to be her decision, although my buy as she was still under 21. I was pushing the Mak pretty good when she saw the worse buy ever. A Davis derringer in .22 LR. What a piece of CRAP!!!!! When we got it home the trigger was so stiff that my wife could not pull it. She successfully had a derringer that she could only make fire if she used 2 hands and then she was shaking so bad accuracy was nil. She abandoned it to my posession in less than a week. It was in my name after all.

I have to say that It went with me to the grain elevator for several months and was used to pop several rats at VERY close range w/ blue tip rat shot. It also netted me one old gray coon that had been making the basement his home for quite a while. We met eye to eye on an auger cover one nite at about 3 am. I have never fumbled more for a gun than then thank god the safety took alot of pressure to release. Did take both shots and a reload to finish him. It didnt sit well with the manager at all though. Something about grain dust, exploding, gunfire, blah, blah, blah. We have not shot it in over 2 years now.

AirForceShooter
December 18, 2005, 12:54 PM
sounds right,
I went in looking for a J frame and walked out with a 7 1/2 inch Ruger Blackhawk in .357.
Funny, it won't fit my j frame holster.

AFS

bruss01
December 18, 2005, 01:03 PM
A few weeks ago I was at a gun show. I was there to pick up some bulk ammo, definitely wasn't shopping for any guns! Well, we all know how that goes... I had been curious about the K31, a friend has one and he brags on it. Also, I had been hoping to find an inexpensive .308 bolt action rifle for general purposes, but had no plans to acquire one any time soon.

So I happen to be strolling past a table, and this guy has a "k31 in .308" which arouses my curiosity. I figure someone has rebarrelled it. I can tell it's not pristine since it is missing the top handguard, has an obviously replaced chunk in the stock, seems shorter, and the front sight is definitely not mil surp. It seems handy and I like the feel... I figure that it'll be priced out of my range... turns out the guy's asking $175 (but he ends up accepting $150). Sigh. Ok, you got me, where do I sign...

So I spend the next two weeks (10 day wait) kicking myself, telling myself I got ripped off, buying some bubba'd-up gun that's probably pieced together out of who knows how many different firearms. A real Frankengun.

But I hadn't looked too closely, and there was a surprise waiting when I went to pick it up...

First of all, it wasn't a K31 at all (turns out it was a Swiss 96/11). That explains the replaced chunk in the stock, an arsenal job done in 1911 or thereabouts. And it was in much better over all shape than I'd remembered. I discovered that the magazine, receiver, barrel, bolt and stock all had matching serial numbers. The condition of the metal was awesome, smooth and uniformly blue. The bore was pristine, I mean cleaner and smoother than some brand new rifles I own. After checking the serial number and looking up dates of manufacture, I discovered that this rifle is over 100 years old, manufactured in 1900! It was what they refer to as an "alpine sporter", a sporterized swiss military rifle. That explains the .308 bit - factory re-chambered in an american hunting round when the importer bulk imported them into this country back in the 50's and 60's.

Wow. I just love taking it out of the safe every now and then and admiring it, lovingly working the action, feeling that light, crisp trigger let-off, bringing it to my shoulder... wow. My $150 luv toy. Can't wait for the weather to improve (and holidays to be over) so I can see how well it shoots. Wow. Best impulse buy ever.

STAGE 2
December 18, 2005, 01:07 PM
All the time. For the last year and a half I've been determined to pick up a springfield GI. Its gotten so bad that I've had to mutter to myself "just get the GI and leave" while I'm walking to the door. Of course without fail every time I leave it always with something eles inside the bag. Pretty pathetic for a 1911 guy who as of yet doesnt own one.

Black Majik
December 18, 2005, 01:10 PM
I have impulsed bought a few times.

Very first time was a Kimber Series I Classic Royal. It looked beautiful, so I thought I look at it. Bought it and damn was it smooth! Accurate AND reliable. Who woulda thunk!? :D

Colt .380 Government. Yep, heard about em', this one was LNIB, sure why not. Accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot.

I've realized that I bought these two pistols mainly because theres some "collectability" in California. Not that I'd make them safe queens in hopes of value increasing, but just that I know everyone in California's looking for Series I Kimbers and .380 Governments. Mine mine mine... :evil:

Can'thavenuthingood
December 18, 2005, 01:18 PM
About 3 months ago.
Dealer had a Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm, 6 1/2 inch convertible with a Bianchi Ranger holster.
The 9mm cyl. was unused and the .357 cyl about a 100 rounds through it. I had looked at it about a month prior for $275 and almost took it at that time but other priorities.

As I was walking out the door after another purchase I asked if he still had that Blackhawk. He said "Yeah, its down to $200 now"
I was so excited I could hardly say "SOLD". His wife kinda giggled a bit since I was sorta hyperventilating and reaching for my wallet.

Like I had just discovered candy or ice cream. It's mine now, sitting right here.

The 9mm cylinder is now used, box of Fiochi 115 grains. The .357 side prefers the Armscor or the Federal High Velocity in the red box. For some reason I have a hard time finding the target with the Federal 125 grain 357B loads.

More practice with it will cure that.

Vick

22-rimfire
December 18, 2005, 01:20 PM
If I go to a gunshow just for entertainment and information, it never fails that I find something that I can't live without. It may only be a custom knife. If I am looking for a specific used gun or to sell something at a price that approaches market, I usually fail. So, if you truly don't want to spend any or much money at a gunshow, don't take the cash with you. You can't spend what you don't have..... of course there are credit cards at some tables.

Impulse purchases are a lot of fun if you are informed. You have to stay within your knowledge base and keep the impulse buys within that knowledge range. It is the ability to make that decision and make it correctly quickly that seperates the men from the boys at shows and of course a wad of cash.

Hkmp5sd
December 18, 2005, 01:24 PM
Yes. Very many. Best way to shop. :)

BigRobT
December 18, 2005, 01:34 PM
I went to a pawn/gun shop in MN, I impulse bought a Saiga 410 and a SAR-1. The Saiga is ok, but doesn't fire slugs very well, not to mention 3" slugs are difficult to find. IT only fires 3"(76MM) case length rounds. The SAR1 was a POS. It keyholes almost every round at 25 & 50 yards. I regret buying either. The manager was only looking out for his pocketbook and NOT my best interests.

However, I have stumbled across other deals that have been ok. Of course, this was from a major chain store. A King Cobra had just been sold to this chain store, the gunsmiths had it apart, cleaning it and checking it out. I picked it up for $200. Another gun store pawn shop actually DID help me pick out a handgun, a Witness 10MM, which has now become my carry gun. The price was a little higher than what I could find on Gunbroker, but I've been happy with it, so far (1500 rounds through it).

I guess I'm about 50/50 on the issue. It all depends on where one goes.

svtruth
December 18, 2005, 01:46 PM
I went in looking for a scoped .22, saw a Norico AK-47, black resin furniture, like new condition, $320, IIRC. Banned by Clinton, the symbol of revolution, and cheap ammo.
Yeah I'm happy.

Rexrider
December 18, 2005, 03:12 PM
Spring of '01, My wife (my girlfriend at that time) and I left the house with our tax refund in hand and headed for the gun shop.

I don't know if it counts as an impulse buy because I knew I was buying something, I just did not know what.

I ended up with my Kimber Classic Stainless Target.

The real impulse buy was from my wife. Out of the blue she decided she wanted her first handgun and settled on a Ruger 22/45. We had only been together for 1 1/2 yrs and all of that time was spent undoing all the anti-gun myths her mom had passed on to her.

We never really had any impulse buy since then. Marrage, moving accross the country, buying a house, and life in general means you learn to plan out what you are buying before walking into a gunshop. Buying new guns is not in itself a problem. Having the money on hand at any given moment for an impulse buy is the problem.

But that's okay, saving up for something makes it all the better when the day comes for you to pick up the new toy (although an impulse buy is good for the soul sometimes).

brewer90
December 18, 2005, 03:42 PM
I had two of them this weekend. I was walking through the gun show and came across a STI 2011 .45 ACP for $700 and couldn't pass it up (traded a Beretta + cash for it). Then a guy from work is trying to sell a Kimber. It's a Series 1 Compact Stainless in perfect condition for $500. So now that one is mine too. Two deals that were too good to pass up.

Mot45acp
December 18, 2005, 03:50 PM
I got the fever at a show. I foolishly traded my Norinco MAC 90 for a NIB Beretta 9000 s in .40 and some extra mags This P.O.S. would ftf on every shot from every mag and every type of ammo. I sent it off to Beretta got it back 3 weeks later with a letter there are no problems with this gun. So needles to say that cured my other fever for a Beretta 92 I will never own a Beretta again.

geekWithA.45
December 18, 2005, 05:34 PM
Yup. Interarms Walther TPH, a 2/3 scale PPk in .22lr.

It was one of the good ones, and has quickly become my favorite plinker.

MDG1976
December 18, 2005, 05:40 PM
Over the summer I walked into a shop with every intention of leaving with a Taurus Millenium Pro. I left with a j Frame S&W. It was an impulse, but I am glad I did it. It was a big departure for me. Most of my purchases are made after a lot of tedious research.

Standing Wolf
December 18, 2005, 10:11 PM
I buy impulsively at the grocery. I buy impulsively from catalogues. I buy cars impulsively. I buy software impulsively. I buy...

Well, heck. Somebody's got to keep the economy going, right?

CannonFodder
December 18, 2005, 10:19 PM
My Ruger 10/22 with scope was an impulse buy. I went into the sporting goods store saying "Well, if it's X, I'll buy it." But, I doubted that it would be.

It turns out that it was actually X minus 20 bucks.

Yeah, I never knew a credit card could reach supersonic speeds exiting a leather wallet.

gunsmith
December 18, 2005, 10:35 PM
I bought a beautiful AR from these guys http://tacticalcustoms.com/
it has a "predator" upper. http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/Gas-Piston-System-Uppers-Upper-Receivers-Only-P1161C121.aspx and I bought mags and a case and a half of ammo.
the gun came with a bunch of neato tacticool thingamajigs that I will have to go learn how to use...my first AR ....I only shot a few mags of it & great so far...(the blonde I was with was more innerested in dinner and other things;) )

the last time I bought impulse I got a universal m1 carbine (my first rifle)
I liked it but it had "issues"...
I have a real good feeling about this one. Another good thing is it has a lifetime warranty and the guys who built it are 20 or so miles away (it's a custom lower they call it Battle Born)so I can allways talk to the guy who made it...I will submit pics in a few weeks.

jsalcedo
December 18, 2005, 10:50 PM
Yup. Interarms Walther TPH, a 2/3 scale PPk in .22lr.

It was one of the good ones, and has quickly become my favorite plinker

I shot one of those about 20 years ago and I loved it.

Later I was told they were illegal for import after GCA 68 due to their size.

Back then they were priced $600 to $800 due to the limited number available.

Is this still the case?

lee n. field
December 18, 2005, 11:02 PM

Only once, a Mosin-Nagant M38 carbine on the way out of a gun show last May.

Did it work out? It's a pretty gun. With an oversize bore. I'll have to experiment with reloads once it warms up again too see if it can be made tolerably accurate.

GoBrush
December 18, 2005, 11:06 PM
When my buddies and I go to the gun store or gun show we try to get one another to buy on impulse. It is funny as hell. That's why when I have cash in hand (I only buy with cash that way the wife cant track the purchase) I leave my buddies at home.

joab
December 18, 2005, 11:13 PM
A quick look at my ecclectic collection tells me that they were almost all impulse buys

Beetle Bailey
December 19, 2005, 01:17 AM
I almost always plot and plan out my gun purchases, but I did do an impluse gun buy once:

I had been wanting a Spanish FR-8 rifle ever since I first shot my buddy's FR-8. However, all the ones I had ever come across had some issues or were way overpriced. Then I got a lead on a sorta local shop that had five to choose from (well, four, since the guy who gave me the lead got one for himself). This shop was well known for specializing in milsurps and I had never visited it before.

The day I get there I'm in milsurp heaven :) . The entire north wall had nothing but US service rifles. Mosin Nagants, Mausers, SKS's, Hakims, and various others along the south wall, plus more guns on racks in the middle of the shop. I perused the FR-8's I saw but they didn't look too hot. They weren't bad, but I also wasn't completely sold on those examples. :uhoh:

Then I saw her. :D A SMLE made at Lithgow in 1942 that had been FTR'ed with a perfect handguard and stock. 99% Blueing. The bore had a bit of pitting on the muzzle end, but that was the only issue. Some collector had brought in 11 Enfields to sell just two days ago. This was the nicest one still in the store. . . I have two No. 4 Enfields already, but no No. 1s, so I bought it. I figured I couldn't walk away from this one just to pick up a so-so FR-8.

It shoots great in spite of the pitting in the bore, and besides, I picked up a replacement barrel from Numrich for the future. I'm very pleased with it and it worked out doubly nice because last month I finally found a nice FR-8 (looks unissued after conversion) that I never would have tracked down if I had purchase one of the so-so examples I saw that day. :D

WarMachine
December 19, 2005, 02:43 AM
I guess this would be an impulse buy.

Today (or yesterday since it's like 1am now) I went into Academy to pick up a Springfield XD. Now, I have been trying to decide between the XD and the GLOCK for the longest time, but simply could not make up my mind about which one to get. Owners of both seem to love theirs dearly. After spending the entire morning researching and looking at pics, I had finally decided on the XD.

I go to Academy, and that rush of eagerness hit as I looked at the glass case full of all kinds of toys. To the left I see a number of XD in various sizes and calibers and the same for the GLOCKs over to the right side. I went there already knowing what I wanted, but stared and handled the both of them for what had to be 20 mins. I beging to realize how silly I'm being and I tell them I want to XD and start on the paper work. I fill out the form, they call it in and all is well. He asks me, "Which one did you want again?" and I hesitate. I look at the GLOCK, then at the XD, then at the GLOCK and back again. Finally, at the last second I say the GLOCK and here I am now with it was part of my collection.

Don't ask me what happend because I am still mystified as to what transpired today :uhoh:

Not to say I am unhappy with my purchase (oh no) as I love this gun and have been holding for about 3 hours now. It's almost like it's the Ring of Power, and I haven't had this feeling since I bought my 1911 :evil:

Besides, I will probably own the XD within the next few months anyway, and I would have bought a GLOCK within the next few months if I had gotten the XD today, so it all works out I guess...

Mr_Moore
December 19, 2005, 06:52 AM
Here is what I learned:

Winchester, smith and wesson, dan wesson, colt, remington, marlin, sig, ruger, taurus are fairly safe impulse buys. The guns are higher quality and if you don't like it you can pretty much sell it for what you paid.

Sounds like good advice. Thanks.

wundudnee
December 19, 2005, 08:16 AM
Yep, over and over and over again. Take yesterday for example. At the local gunshow I found a NIB, 1978, 8 3/8" barrel, Model 57 S&W, .41 mag in a presentation case for $450.00. When I walked in there I believed that .357 would do anything needed and I never really lusted after an 8 3/8" barrel.
Now I'm the proud owner. Impulse? completely.:rolleyes: ;)

Bruce H
December 19, 2005, 10:33 AM
Local gunstore owner traded for a Magnum Research BFR in 45/70. Kept it real quiet until I walked in. Said he had just what I needed. Proceded to pull it out of the green cloth cover. Franklins went flying out of the billfold. Turned out to be the handgun I shoot more than any other I have.

6inch
December 19, 2005, 12:30 PM
Ya'll ever get this from your favorite LGS; "Hey, you've GOT! to see what we just got in"?? Then they place it, ever so nicely, in your hands and stand back smiling like the old cat that just ate a big fat bird!

There ought to be a law I tell ya!! :rolleyes:

Rockrivr1
December 19, 2005, 12:42 PM
You know it's hard to not impulse buy. I think that about a 1/3 of the guns I have were done on an impulse. Luckily it was when I was single.

One that sticks out in my mind was a S&W 500 that a guy in my area decided on selling. It was a 4 inch model and he barely shot it. The price was well below retail and before I knew it, I was jumping all over it. I didn't even know if I had enough in the checking account to cover it. Luckily I did and that nice shiny 500 is now a permanent resident of my collection.

It doesn't even matter that it hurts like hell when you shoot the 450 gr loads. I actually carried it a couple of times camping out in the western part of the state. Bear country!

losangeles
December 19, 2005, 01:27 PM
Yeah, I can relate.

I went into the gunstore with the idea of getting a Ruger Mark III Target pistol in blue. I was thinking about a $300 budget. I researched it thoroughly.

Then at the store, I was presented a Mark III Hunter 6 7/8", stainless steel fluted barrel with gorgeous cocobolo grips and Hi-Viz fiber optic front sights. It was priced at $499 (the next week the same store had a huge inventory of it, at $419 each). I bought it.

So I ended up spending a couple hundred dollars over my budget. And it wasn't even the cheapest deal and would have found out if I researched it for a few minutes beforehand.

halvey
December 19, 2005, 01:39 PM
Yup, bought a lot on impluse in stores, at shows and online. I sold every single one eventually.

I usually research and mull over for a long time before buying. Of course, I've missed out on a few over the years, some I'm glad I did. There's only 2 I wish I could have bought.

cz75bdneos22
December 19, 2005, 02:14 PM
on impulse i've bought a hi-point 9mm and a Marlin 336 SS in .30-.30...they are both still in the box untouched, unfired...sheesh..!! that's why i'm no longer buying guns for 2006. i'm finished for now, focusing instead on accessorizing those that i got now..enough!:eek:

Working Man
December 19, 2005, 02:33 PM
Local gunstore owner traded for a Magnum Research BFR in 45/70. Kept it real quiet until I walked in. Said he had just what I needed. Proceded to pull it out of the green cloth cover. Franklins went flying out of the billfold. Turned out to be the handgun I shoot more than any other I have.

That is indeed a great choice.

I once bought a .44, 7 1/2" Ruger Redhawk as an impluse buy. Well more of a fustration buy.
I had not gotten anything in a few gun shows and was short on getting somthing I realy wanted.
I do not regret the buy.... can't leave empty handed all the time :)

Taurus 617 CCW
December 19, 2005, 02:58 PM
Yup, bought a Springfield 1911 GI for $400 and it has been my main winter carry gun for two years now. Only had one FTE due to poor powder load (factory) and one FTFeed due to crappy magazine. Switched to the wilson combat 8 rounders and cleared the problem up.

Tequila_Sauer
December 19, 2005, 03:02 PM
Just recently, I saw a CZ40 and I loved the look and price so much, I bought one right on the spot.

How well did it work out for me? Ermm.......well, it worked out okay for me, but it worked out spendidly for my g/f! She loves it and shoots very well with it. It fires anything and I've heard it's a very reliable firearm. So it worked out well.........just not for me.

Dave Dembinski
December 19, 2005, 03:43 PM
Was wandering around at a show while a buddy was doing the paperwork on his first gun and came across a Colt Agent that I just had to have. I was a little relieved that I hadn't brought any money with me until I saw they took debit cards, then I reluctantly (;)) handed it over and went home with the little beauty.

Shot it loose and sold it to get the money for another impulse buy, a 20ga 870 from a fella on this very site.

Berek
December 19, 2005, 03:46 PM
I "impulsed" on a hi-point 996 9mm carbine. Best HD carbine I bought. And at $150....

Mine too! Except I paid $189 and it came with scope, compensator and the extra mags option. :D

And, umm.... I did giggle after rapid firing all 3 mags... :D

Punkermonkey
December 19, 2005, 03:53 PM
Yes, and for God sake make it stop!

Carl N. Brown
December 19, 2005, 03:53 PM
Impulse buys end up either being gems or "safe queens."

Moonclip
December 19, 2005, 04:49 PM
I usually don't really impulse buy. I have an idea what guns I want and when the guns come up and are well priced, I buy them. However if the price is right, I end up with guns that I didn't ever really plan on having or looking for.

Some examples of impulse buys due to good prices though I wasn't wanting them but they ended up being good include an EAA bounty hunter in 45LC for $125 in 2003, a NIB Chinese clone of the Wather 1936 Olympic pistol for $120 in 2003 also and and my dad picked up this year two anib 2nd gen Glocks at $300 for the mod 27 and $350 for the mod 22.

Beetle Bailey, was that store the now defunct Armory of Orange or the smaller World of Warriors? Armory of Orange people still set up at the gunshows it seems and they sure had a lot of Enfields at the shop but mostly Ishapore ones.

ewb45acp
December 19, 2005, 04:59 PM
In the past 5 years I've made 7 impulse buys. 6 handguns 1 rifle. 4 of the handguns are gone, 1 is waiting to go, and the rifle is maybe gonna go soon. So, I now realize that impulse buying does not work out well for me.

engineer151515
December 19, 2005, 05:23 PM
Kimber Polymer Stainless Target. Two full capacity (14 round) stainless mags. Plus a leather form fitted holster. Box. Papers. All in excellent/new condition.

Around Christmas time so I had plenty of other things to do with the funds...

When the price was $535, I just could not say no.

jamz
December 19, 2005, 06:24 PM

Here's my story. Not that long ago I got the bug to get into wheel guns. Went to a large GS just to peruse the selection. I went in thinking about a .357 Mag and was attracted to the Smith an Wesson section. Then I spotted a .44 Mag 6 1/2". I asked to see it and BAM! I was hooked. Did a little ha

Hah, my last impulse buy was for the EXACT same model gun! :D

Stopped off at Kittery, idly looking for a .44mag revolver, saw this one, picked it up, and put it on hold that very minute. Went back, researched it on THR, bought it the next day.

I love that gun too.

-James

If you enjoyed reading about "Impulse Gun Buys?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!