THR info -- why not TFL? History Lesson request!

PDA

WebHobbit
April 6, 2003, 01:24 PM
I just "discovered" THR so I'm curious about a couple of things:

1) Why didn't they just restart TFL? THR seems to mainly be TFL with a new name. Which brings me to #2:

2) What are the differences between TFL & THR (besides of course one does NOT accept new posts!)

3) How is it supported? Who pays for all of this? As a (small time) WebMaster myself I know these things are EXPENSIVE. Does THR accept/need donations?

4) When did THR start? What all have I "missed"?

BTW, I'm not knocking THR in any way! I love it here! Love the name too. I'm just curious.

If you enjoyed reading about "THR info -- why not TFL? History Lesson request!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheBluesMan
April 6, 2003, 11:50 PM
Why didn't they just restart TFL? THR seems to mainly be TFL with a new name.
Continuing under the name of The Firing Line was considered for a time, but the idea was rejected. It was decided to start a new board on a new server under a new name for many reasons, not the least of which was to allow TFL to stand "as is" as a monument to what is possible to achieve with a group of good people committed to a worthy cause.

What are the differences between TFL & THR (besides of course one does NOT accept new posts!)
The High Road is set up a little differently, with different forums and different staff. Most of the TFL staff is here, but a few aren't. We've also taken on more staff members than TFL had. The main differences are a question of perspective, or judgement. My personal opinion is that the tone of THR is a little less kind than TFL. The current staff seems to allow (for better or worse) a bit more latitude than what was allowed on TFL. This is not a criticism of either, just a difference that I have noticed.

How is it supported? Who pays for all of this? As a (small time) WebMaster myself I know these things are EXPENSIVE. Does THR accept/need donations?
The site is supported by the generous donation of money and time and bandwidth and memory and knowledge and expertise from the staff. Some of us have more knowledge than time, others, more expertise than money. Like the members, we all contribute something. We do not now, nor will we ever (I hope) accept donations from the membership at-large.

When did THR start? What all have I "missed"?
The High Road was launched just prior to Christmas 2002, so you haven't missed much. Of course we now have more than 4,500 members and more than 200,000 posts, so I could be wrong about missing things. You are welcome to use the search function at both THR and TFL to access a wealth of information; so in that respect, you haven't missed a thing.

All we ask in return is for you continue to spread the good news about Responsible Firearms Ownership and the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. If you feel the need to contribute something, contribute your time to supporting the RKBA by getting politically involved, or contribute your money to a worthy cause that supports Freedom.

Good to have you here, WebHobbit! :)

-Dave

WebHobbit
April 6, 2003, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the education. I think I'm starting to feel very at home here. :cool:

Maybe they should at this stuff to the FAQ?

OH...one more question:

Ever consider an Off-Topic Lounge type of sub-fora?

tyme
April 9, 2003, 12:01 AM
Yes, it has been considered.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6928
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8577

If you enjoyed reading about "THR info -- why not TFL? History Lesson request!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!