DU Nonsense

PDA

glockten
April 6, 2003, 01:26 PM
_
The M16A1 is a .227 caliber rifle! The M16A1 is the standard issue rifle in today's Army. Small weapons wounds and a .227 caliber rifle would be consistent with friendly fire. The standard Warsaw Pact round is slightly larger than a 7.62mm bullet (they can use our 7.62mm Nato round, but theirs is too big to fit our rifles). Most countries use either AK47s or Nato made weapons. The 7.62mm is too large to be considered "small arms" like the M16A1.

Found this in a Democratic Underground thread about PFC Lynch. Most of it was offensive and insulting to the American military, but this post was mildly amusing.

If you enjoyed reading about "DU Nonsense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackhawk
April 6, 2003, 01:32 PM
So, why are you surprised after considering the source?

glockten
April 6, 2003, 01:38 PM
So, what makes you think I was surprised? I found it "mildly amusing", not surprising.

Blackhawk
April 6, 2003, 01:40 PM
Touche.

Don Gwinn
April 6, 2003, 01:45 PM
I don't suppose there was a citation?
I wondered where Hardin would turn up next. ;)

benewton
April 6, 2003, 01:47 PM
OK, I'll bite.

Given the two rounds and weapons, is it possible to "report" more idiotically?

I really liked the:

"The standard Warsaw Pact round is slightly larger than a 7.62mm bullet..."

Now, I run a MAK90, which, I thought, fired the standard 7.62 x 39, but I really must have the weapon, and the ammo, read round, which is just slightly larger than our bullet!

And my M1A is to large to be considered a "small arm"? What should I do with my huge .44 Special?

And the eurotrash wonders why nobody even bothers to listen to them...

Or, is the DU the "american" version?

PATH
April 6, 2003, 01:53 PM
:D You just can't make this stuff up!

glockten
April 6, 2003, 01:56 PM
No citation given, Don. The truth is irrelevant to those critters.

CZ-75
April 6, 2003, 02:24 PM
Why does anyone go to DU, who isn't an ultra-leftist nutjob?

It has to be more aggravating than entertaining.

glockten
April 6, 2003, 02:46 PM
Because it's useful to "know thine enemy", CZ.

CZ-75
April 6, 2003, 03:41 PM
You should get a medal, b/c I couldn't do it.

Feanaro
April 6, 2003, 03:45 PM
*falls off chair, laughs hysterically*

Kharn
April 6, 2003, 03:46 PM
Actually the 7.62x39 made everywhere else in the world but the US uses a .311" bullet, rather than .308", so their "7.62" bullets are actually larger than ours, but not the cartridges. :D Ruger Mini30s have .308 bores, but are chambered for 7.62x39, so imported military surplus doesnt work very well.

Kharn

glockten
April 6, 2003, 03:57 PM
Kharn, I've heard that before about Mini-30s. What specifically does the use of .311" bullets in a .308" bore do? It seems that it would cause unsafe pressures and poor accuracy. Am I close?

Kharn
April 6, 2003, 03:58 PM
I do not have one, so I cannot comment for sure, but I believe it just causes a low level of accuracy.

Kharn

benewton
April 6, 2003, 04:20 PM
Kharn: reloader for years, and so knew about the .311/.308 gig.

I still want to buy the big bore 7.62 whose

"round is slightly larger than a 7.62mm bullet"

I've missed something somewhere, at least by DU standards, and I wish to update right now!

dustind
April 6, 2003, 08:14 PM
I goto DemocratUnderground, that place pisses me off to no end. If I posted there more I would be banned, those people have got all their facts wrong. Atleast they are turning more pro gun than before, which was the reason I went. I suggest everyone check it out, be prepared to be shocked.

Standing Wolf
April 6, 2003, 08:56 PM
Trusting leftists with facts is a lot like trusting foxes with chickens.

Leatherneck
April 7, 2003, 06:43 AM
Man, I am so relieved to find that I'm not the only one in THR that checks on DU from time to time. Kinda like picking at a scab. I generally come away with a great feeling of thankfullness, but also an amazement that those people are actually out there consuming air! :barf:

TC
TFL Survivor

Question: Has anyone tripped over a reference to The High Road at DU? I know their common demon is Freepers, but have we been "discovered"?

2nd Amendment
April 7, 2003, 08:28 AM
We've probably not been "discovered". DUh'ers don't get out much. They aren't into debate, just backslapping and self congratulation. The only reason they know about Free Republic is because the Freepers go there to annoy the drones. Same reason they know about Free Conservatives, we like to annoy them.

I think I've been banned there more than almost anyone else(running around 55 times or so, now). Once for saying "I disagree!" Seriously. One thing to keep in mind about DU, when they talk about all their thousands of members, they are including all the banned ones which probably accounts for 2/3 or more of the total. :D

bfason
April 7, 2003, 08:29 AM
Everyone has a secret vice. Mine is reading and posting to Democratic Underground. The other day one of the Dems over there stated that he did not want the Democratic Party to soften its anti-gun platform in order to reach out to gun owners. After all, he argued, "we were here first." And then someone pointed out that the founder of the Democratic Party, Thomas Jefferson, was an gun collector who regularly packed heat wherever he went.

Many antis or undecideds have probably never met anyone who reasonably articulated a pro-gun view.

foghornl
April 7, 2003, 10:35 AM
I have visited the DU site a few times, but for some reason, my vision gets blurry, the room starts spinning, and the next day i have to replace my keyboard, having emptied my lunch into it....

DonP
April 7, 2003, 10:44 AM
I had to stay away for a while over the last month.

I couldn't stomach the "Bush is doing this all for money" threads. I have to say that it is undoubtedly the most intolerant and angry group of people I have ever come across.

They spend their days worshipping at the shrine of Clinton/Gore and waiting for Al's triumphant return to the White House.

The most fun is to watch them debating the candidates for 2004. They can't P--- on each other fast enough. Some worship Hillary otyhers think she would be the death knell for the Dem's.

They are all still totally focused on the "stolen election" and figure that all of a sudden, America will "wake up and discover they have been robbed of their birthright and drive the usurper from office".

With their current mindset and internal hatreds they would have trouble getting Gore elected dog catcher.

Don P.

Chuck Dye
April 7, 2003, 12:59 PM
In my lexicon DU is Ducks Unlimited!

BogBabe
April 7, 2003, 11:06 PM
it is undoubtedly the most intolerant and angry group of people I have ever come across.

Nah. The "womyn" at the Ms. Magazine boards take that award. The DU-ers don't even come close.

I surf both sites occasionally. It's like passing by a bad accident on the road: You can't not look.

It's appalling what passes for thought and reasoning over there.

ReadyontheRight
April 8, 2003, 12:24 PM
Trusting leftists with facts is a lot like trusting foxes with chickens.

It's actually more like trying to teach a pig to sing, it annoys you and wastes your time while the confused pig just wants to get back into the mud.:D

CZ 75 BD
April 8, 2003, 12:28 PM
:D

If you enjoyed reading about "DU Nonsense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!