With all the HI-POINT guns out there which is..........

PDA

Glocker
December 19, 2005, 05:24 AM
O.K. I might buy one to see what all the talk is about. But, which one is the best to perform? What caliber performs the best? Hey everyone can use a good truck gun in the old tool box, right?

If you enjoyed reading about "With all the HI-POINT guns out there which is.........." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
whm1974
December 19, 2005, 08:33 AM
I just brought a .45 one, havn't shot it yet.
Maybe the 9 compact?

-Bill

bpisler
December 19, 2005, 08:48 AM
Buy the 9mm,cheaper ammo than the 380,40sw
or the 45acp.

dracphelan
December 19, 2005, 08:49 AM
My wife has the 9mm pistol with recoil compensator, and loves it.

VirgilCaine
December 19, 2005, 09:03 AM
Buy a new one, I have heard the older ones were just as jam-o-matic as other guns at their price, but after a certain point the company worked the kinks out.

idahoberetta9000s
December 20, 2005, 01:14 AM
Save your money and buy something worthwhile.

meef
December 20, 2005, 01:46 AM
Just out of curiosity - you base this recommendation on what personal experience?

:scrutiny:

hotpig
December 20, 2005, 03:06 AM
Buy a new one, I have heard the older ones were just as jam-o-matic as other guns at their price, but after a certain point the company worked the kinks out.

My brother and I both got them when they hit the market. The 9mm full size (no compact made yet)was right at 99.00 including sales tax and dealer fees. It had thousands of rounds through it with no repairs and not a single malfunction.

When the carbine came out in 1997(?)we both got them. Again never any problems. If the guns suddenly went DOA today I could not complain. We have got our moneys worth of fun out of them.

gudel
December 20, 2005, 03:13 AM
i saw saw a local shop had a deal, buy one gun and get a hi point for $99. at that price, who cares about the caliber to get, get all of them. :D

ruger270man
December 20, 2005, 03:26 AM
I'll get one, just to have another pistol.

hell, for a little over $100, why not?

but then again.. i could get a CZ52 or Star BM 9mm for the same price :cool:

jeepmor
December 20, 2005, 03:50 AM
I have not read anything bad about recent HiPoints in regards to reliable function. I know their not high dollar "gunsnob" guns, but they appear to be quite reliable by the accounts that I read in here.

What gives with folks, they're cheap and reliable. Well that just can't be......mmmmm..... must have some $700 gun that goes straight to the gunsmith for work.....grrr. I liken it to the crowd that is really into german cars (bmw, mercedes, audi, porsche). They are not reliable compared to the market (actually at the bottom of the bell curve). They need lots of work and money to keep them running properly, but that status symbol seems to override all common sense of having something that goes BANG every time the trigger is pulled.

Showing off your bank account at the range and protecting your life and property have nothing to do with each other. BGs don't stop and ask, hey is that a Glock, Kimber, Para, Taurus, HiPoint, Cobra etc. They go, drat, he's got a gun, outta here man.

The more I read here the more I see people just thinking their opinions are facts, there's a difference. Porsche may make some sweet rides, but they're like a rich girl. They require a LOT of upkeep and money, their finicky, and hardly worth the work required to maintain them in my opinion. But we all want trophies occasionally don't we fellas.

jeepmor

gudel
December 20, 2005, 04:39 AM
I liken it to the crowd that is really into german cars (bmw, mercedes, audi, porsche). They are not reliable compared to the market (actually at the bottom of the bell curve). They need lots of work and money to keep them running properly

all those cars problematic? that's news to me :D i thought it was the domestic ones that are crap. :barf:

jeepmor
December 20, 2005, 04:53 AM
all those cars problematic? that's news to me :D i thought it was the domestic ones that are crap. :barf:

I work with a lot of people who own BMW's. They have some busy mechanics, busier than mine. I own a Subaru, and a jeep....ouch, jeep, reliable..:banghead: should not be used in same sentence.....ooops, foot, mouth...connection. honesty can be an undoing.

I use consumer reports for car selections, do they offer gun reviews? Y'know, reviews that are not tinged by any advertising or marketing inextriciably being tied together and blurring the true performance.

jeepmor

did not want to start a car war, but if we must. My opinion, stock sucks......84 CJ7, modified to the gills. The more chevy parts I put on that thing, the better it runs. :D

gudel
December 20, 2005, 05:16 AM
i personally drive japanese car. although the name is japanese, but it is actually built in america by some of you hillbilly in tennessee :D

dracphelan
December 20, 2005, 10:20 AM
Why do High Points Get A Bad Rap?

1. When they first came out, there were some problems. Just like almost any new product. But, they are corrected now.
2. They are ugly and cheap looking.
3. Brand loyalty/snobbery.

After going to several different boards, I've come to a conclusion. There are people out there who either don't remember, or have never experienced, a point where a $200 purchase can only be done with some serious scrimping and saving every 6 months or so. They show this in a snobbery toward cheaper items (cars, computers, firearms, clothes, etc...) and cheaper places to shop.

saands
December 20, 2005, 11:23 AM
Jeep: BGs don't stop and ask, hey is that a Glock, Kimber, Para, Taurus, HiPoint, Cobra etc. They go, drat, he's got a gun, outta here man. Where do you live? I wanna move there ... The BGs around here NEVER say "drat!" :p ;)

As for the Star BM being the same price ... let me say from recent experience that they are hit and miss ... I got one that had a heck of a time ejecting anything and they after shipping and fees they can't be had for the same price as a new C9. I hadn't read anything good about the HiPoints until recently and I'd never seen one. But last week my local FFL got a couple ... the first one sold less than 30 minutes after the UPS guy was there and I'll be surprised if the second one is still there when I drop in next time. Not sure yet if I'll try one, but after all the comments about them being big, heavy and ugly, I was pleasantly surprised by what I held. The C-9 was no subcompact, but it isn't huge ... it's no looker like a GP35 either, but it wasn't actually UGLY ... and it didn't feel any heavier than a Star BM ... just more top heavy. Looks to me like a solid value for someone on a tight budget.

Saands

Sry0fcr
December 20, 2005, 11:38 AM
Hi-Point, the Hyundai of the gun world. Yeah, there were problems at first and things have improved but I still wouldn't buy one unless it was all I could afford. I'm not gonna knock you for owning one though.

duncan
December 21, 2005, 01:52 AM

Good advice.

Think of a gun as a dangerous instrument. Do you want it built by the lowest bidder with your life possibly depending on it?

They may work - but not when you need it.

When a gun is below a certain price point - the maker cuts somewhere.

Second best design to save 10%
Low cost - less durable materials - low quality steel
Service means a new gun since it's easier than actually fixing it
Lower quality metal means no hot ammo - so self defense and lots of practice is not a good idea on an inexpensive gun

Some have called me a gun snob. I am.

Cheap guns save lots of police officer's lives every year. Why would you risk your life that way - even if it is a trunk gun?

Why settle for less?:uhoh:

duncan
December 21, 2005, 02:05 AM
1. When they first came out, there were some problems. Just like almost any new product. But, they are corrected now.
2. They are ugly and cheap looking.
3. Brand loyalty/snobbery.

After going to several different boards, I've come to a conclusion. There are people out there who either don't remember, or have never experienced, a point where a $200 purchase can only be done with some serious scrimping and saving every 6 months or so. They show this in a snobbery toward cheaper items (cars, computers, firearms, clothes, etc...) and cheaper places to shop.

Good points.

I don't like Hi-Points because they are . . .http://www.funbun.com/imgs/page_imgs/sa0903/ugly_man.jpg

I've seen too many HiPoints that shoot like crap - 20 foot targets that look like shotgun patterns. If it's not accurate, why shoot it.

Third, the blueing (if you can call it that) is more like a spray-on coating and I've seen half a dozen that literally were peeling. Bad finishes even for cheap guns.

I've even shot a couple to please my friends. They wanted me to put down my Glocks and Sigs and shoot their HiPoints. I let them shoot mine too. They dumped their Hi-Points and bought Glocks, Sigs, or HKs within a couple of paychecks.

When you shoot better guns, it's hard to accept anything less.

That's why.

As to $$$$$ . . .
Saving takes patience but for good guns, I'll cut my budget or work on my own German imports. If you've ever driven a nice 850csi, or a Porsche 911 Turbo, you'll never buy an American sports car. Sure they are expensive, so learn how to work on your car - just like your guns.

duncan
December 21, 2005, 02:11 AM
Hi-Point, the Hyundai of the gun world. Yeah, there were problems at first and things have improved but I still wouldn't buy one unless it was all I could afford.

Eat ramon noodles, drink cheap beer, but buy quality guns!

Hi Points and other cheap sub $200 guns - even my Kel Tec P32 fits here:

http://www.nycdiet.com/nycdiet/images/rosie.jpg

Glocks, Sigs, HKs, SW PC, and other $400 plus handguns:

http://silverfox.250free.com/gifs/blobpage/TB-Pam_Anderson01.jpg

Phaetos
December 21, 2005, 04:00 AM
Eat ramon noodles, drink cheap beer, but buy quality guns!

We need more comparison's like this one. Point made and taken out back to .... oh nevermind.

dracphelan
December 21, 2005, 09:59 AM
I've seen too many HiPoints that shoot like crap - 20 foot targets that look like shotgun patterns. If it's not accurate, why shoot it.

I wonder how much of that is the shooter. At 25 yards, my wife has 2" groups at the center of the target with her High Point. This is the first and only pistol she has ever owned.

Before I sold it to my friend, I was shooting 1" groups at 50 yards with my High Point carbine.

These "shotgun patterns" at 20 feet are either the shooter or they haven't taken proper care of their weapon.

mosttoyswins
December 21, 2005, 11:02 AM
I wonder how much of that is the shooter. At 25 yards, my wife has 2" groups at the center of the target with her High Point. This is the first and only pistol she has ever owned.

Before I sold it to my friend, I was shooting 1" groups at 50 yards with my High Point carbine.

These "shotgun patterns" at 20 feet are either the shooter or they haven't taken proper care of their weapon.

No offense intended, but I call BS shooting 2" groups from 25 YARDS with a Hi Point...:rolleyes:

There was a big discussion about group sizes at 25yds. on TFL and the concensus was shooting those kind of groups consistently at that distance with combat handguns is reserved for the elite shooters. I shoot at least twice a week and can carve one ragged hole at 10yds with my Sig P226. 25 yds. is a different animal, 4 to 5" groups are considered "good", hell 8 on a plate from 25yds is OK with a pistol.

Defending Hi Points are one thing but overexaggerating their performance to try to make a point is another thing.

PS: If your wife can shoot these kind of groups with her Hi Point she she quit whatever she is doing and shoot professionally...just think what she could do with a tuned up bulls eye shooter! Probably put 10 shots in the same hole at 25yds!

CAS700850
December 21, 2005, 11:10 AM
Let me just add one thing to this debate. THe Hi Point has become the most frequently encountered gun among criminals in central Ohio, most frequently in .380 or 9mm (no, I don't have stats to back this up, only my own experiences handling gun cases.). I have yet to see one which was not fully functional. At the same time, I have seen "quality" firearms taken from criminals which had problems.

The Hi Points are big, ugly, and cheap. They feel like garbage in my hand. But, they are apparently durable, very reliable, and economical. Not my first choice, since I can (and have) afford better guns. If I was poor, I'd get one and feel safer.

duncan
December 21, 2005, 05:33 PM
No offense intended, but I call BS shooting 2" groups from 25 YARDS with a Hi Point...:rolleyes:

There was a big discussion about group sizes at 25yds. on TFL and the concensus was shooting those kind of groups consistently at that distance with combat handguns is reserved for the elite shooters. I shoot at least twice a week and can carve one ragged hole at 10yds with my Sig P226. 25 yds. is a different animal, 4 to 5" groups are considered "good", hell 8 on a plate from 25yds is OK with a pistol.

Defending Hi Points are one thing but overexaggerating their performance to try to make a point is another thing.

PS: If your wife can shoot these kind of groups with her Hi Point she she quit whatever she is doing and shoot professionally...just think what she could do with a tuned up bulls eye shooter! Probably put 10 shots in the same hole at 25yds!

I agree.

The only people I have seen that can shoot sub 1 MOA at 25 yards are competitive shooters using tuned reloads and several SWAT guys I know.

I can only get that kind of consistent performance out of my HKP7 handgun with the right handloads. But the majority of the shooters at the range (civilian or cop) can only get around 5-inch groups at that yardage.

duncan
December 21, 2005, 05:34 PM
Let me just add one thing to this debate. THe Hi Point has become the most frequently encountered gun among criminals in central Ohio, most frequently in .380 or 9mm (no, I don't have stats to back this up, only my own experiences handling gun cases.).

They are made in Ohio IIRC.

saands
December 21, 2005, 06:32 PM
I agree.

The only people I have seen that can shoot sub 1 MOA at 25 yards ... \

Just to be clear here, sub 1 MOA at 25 yds are groups of 0.262 inches ... now dracphelan may have been "optimistic" about his wife's 2" groups (which by the way would be 7.6 MOA) but I didn't see any claims of sub-MOA accuracy ... except from Duncan's P7, and now my BS meter goes off ... 'cuz even my Marvel 22 conversion in a Ransom Rest won't do THAT :rolleyes:

Saands

dracphelan
December 21, 2005, 07:00 PM

I talked to my wife (it's been a couple of months since she went shooting). She said it was 15 not 25 yards she was getting 2"-3" groups. Still not a "shotgun pattern".

Crosshair
December 21, 2005, 10:00 PM
Just remember to say no the the ProMag 15 round 9mm Carbine mags. They are junk. I own 3 of them and they just sit at the bottom of my "Junk Bin" now.

mosttoyswins
December 21, 2005, 10:12 PM
I talked to my wife (it's been a couple of months since she went shooting). She said it was 15 not 25 yards she was getting 2"-3" groups. Still not a "shotgun pattern".

As I said before no offense intended :) !

2-3" groups at 15 yds is very believable! Your wife is a good shot, better not piss her off :evil: !

CAnnoneer
December 21, 2005, 10:15 PM
It is nice to own things one can be proud of. Hi-Point just ain't it.

duncan
December 21, 2005, 10:52 PM
\

Just to be clear here, sub 1 MOA at 25 yds are groups of 0.262 inches ... now dracphelan may have been "optimistic" about his wife's 2" groups (which by the way would be 7.6 MOA) but I didn't see any claims of sub-MOA accuracy ... except from Duncan's P7, and now my BS meter goes off ... 'cuz even my Marvel 22 conversion in a Ransom Rest won't do THAT :rolleyes:

Saands

I misuse the term. You're right, 1 MOA is 1" group at 100 yards.

Sub-one inch groups or catapillars at 25 yards - with my snob gun.

Javelin Man
December 21, 2005, 11:01 PM
I have a Hi-Point .45 and they come with ghost rings that you can install. I was tempted to install them instead of the open rear sights, but at 25 yards with the open sights, I plugged the bullseye once, and the other three shots were within two inches. That's a bigger circle than two inches, but it certainly isn't a shotgun pattern. My shooting certainly isn't as good as many of you fine gentlemen, but that heavy gun put the lead right where I asked it. Maybe next time I try at 25 yards, I'll have a different result, but that's what happened on that particular day. I usually shoot at 10-15 yards. Or meters.

Maybe I just don't know they can't do that so I go ahead and do it. Take my experience for what it's worth to you. I'm a teacher; my hide is tough.

charliemopic
December 30, 2005, 01:24 AM
i personally drive japanese car. although the name is japanese, but it is actually built in america by some of you hillbilly in tennessee :D LMAO:)

idahoberetta9000s
December 30, 2005, 01:54 AM
I just recieved a Hi-Point 9mm for free, and I don't know whether to shoot it or hammer nails with it. It is the ugliest, most ungainly, poorly made pistol I have ever seen! I swear it weighs 8 lbs! I am going to sell it for $80 and now I can't honestly say I've never owned a Hi-Point.:what:

hotpig
December 30, 2005, 02:21 AM
I do not know why I waste time on this same post on every gun board. People who own Hi Points like them. People that do not own them hate them.I sell a lot of them to people that can not afford the big name guns. I sell to more people that use it as their first gun and graduate to other guns as they get more into shooting.

I realized as I was typing this that no one has ever had me sell their old Hi Point or use it as a trade. They always keep it or pass it along to a friend or family member.

I dislike the pistol but absolutely trust my life to the carbine. Mine are getting up there in age. When they finally wear out I doubt that I will replace them since I have too many guns now.

Olys45
December 30, 2005, 09:07 AM
After I got the C-9 Compact dialed in I can take out five bowling pins with five shots most of the time. If I only "wing" a pin and knock it down, the sixth shot takes it off my improvised "table".

I can't complain about a gun that I only spent $145.00 dollars on NIB with an extra mag!

Janitor
December 30, 2005, 10:13 AM
Never mind. Should have read more first - the "1 MOA" thing has already been covered.
-

mfree
December 30, 2005, 11:44 AM
I don't think it'd be too terribly hard to see that kind of accuracy out of a Hi-point, given one important thing... it's a blowback. The barrel is securely fastened to the frame... does wonders.

TonyB
December 30, 2005, 02:51 PM
Any gun is better than no gun......

Ronnie
December 31, 2005, 02:15 AM
If all the people out there that hated the Hi-Point actually owned or shot one[more tha once], it would really surprise the heck out of me. Mine has been around for about 10yrs or so,Dad got it as to carry while he was working the garden,and feilds.It is now mine,this thing has seen 1,000's of rounds and has yet to let me down[I take care of my firearms]. It isn't the most accurate handgun I have ever owned, that was a model 10 S&W in .38 special,but it certianly is accurate and reliable. Not fit for concealed carry, but definitly fit for home defense and carrying in the car.

duncan
January 1, 2006, 12:46 AM

I'd rather have a gun made by reputable manufacturer.

Please remember, inexpensive guns are carried by the likes of gangsters, rappers, and street thugs. I'd rather not carry or even own a brand that is used frequently against our police officers.

And besides, I prefer the curvy blonds compared to da pig!:neener:

R.W.Dale
January 1, 2006, 01:11 AM
I'd rather have a gun made by reputable manufacturer.

Please remember, inexpensive guns are carried by the likes of gangsters, rappers, and street thugs. I'd rather not carry or even own a brand that is used frequently against our police officers.

And besides, I prefer the curvy blonds compared to da pig!:neener:

So wich chick is the Hi-Point? I know I'd stay well away from one of them...

After all Pamela Anderson= tainted meat, what with the Hepatitis and all:barf:

varoadking
January 1, 2006, 01:41 AM
No offense intended, but I call BS shooting 2" groups from 25 YARDS with a Hi Point...

Beat me to it...

aaronrkelly
January 1, 2006, 03:36 AM
Lower quality metal means no hot ammo - so self defense and lots of practice is not a good idea on an inexpensive gun

Taken from the website and the manual:

All Hi-Point Firearms are +P+ rated; they will handle all factory ammunition including Law Enforcement Only +P+ loads

Seems your information is very -P- rated........in other words its weak (or made up).

makarovnik
July 11, 2006, 03:24 AM
I have a 9mm and the .45acp. The .45 acp has not jammed yet (only 150 rounds) but the 9mm has jammed about 5 times with about the same number of rounds. Of course it always the first round that nose dives into the feed ramp. The .45 is more accurate but is is much more top heavy than the 9mm.

varoadking
July 11, 2006, 08:11 AM
I talked to my wife (it's been a couple of months since she went shooting). She said it was 15 not 25 yards she was getting 2"-3" groups.

Remember that women have been lied to their entire lives about the actual size of an inch... :D

ezypikns
July 11, 2006, 08:16 AM
Not very accurate but totally reliable. 100% American made. Para, Springfield, and other really fine firearms can't make that claim. Clock stopping UGLY, yes. But I looked at a Springfield XD-9 Compact at a gun show this last weekend (I know, I know, it's an outstanding weapon and shouldn't be compared to a Hi-Point EVER), and believe me, it ain't winning any beauty contests either.
Buy a Hi-Point or don't but a Hi-Point, but maybe before criticizing them, your post should begin: "I had one, and......."
Instead of: "I heard that they........"

By the way, I did sell mine after I'd had it for about 3 months. It was just SO ugly.

White Horseradish
July 11, 2006, 09:23 AM
So you'd never carry a S&W? IIRC, up until fairly recently a .38 revolver was the most common weapon used by criminals and a lot of those were S&W due to huge production numbers.

That is an absolutely ridiculous statement. Blaming an inanimate object for the actions of it's user is what the VPC and their ilk do. Some company you keep...

Cousin Mike
July 11, 2006, 08:46 PM
I bought my Hi-Point about 5 years ago.I made some very long posts when I first joined THR, sharing my experiences in great detail about my jam-o-matic Hi-Point .380, how it couldn't expend a 9 round magazine without 2 or 3 failures, etc. etc. etc. The fact is, I owned one, I took it shooting often, I cleaned it and kept it oiled, I tried different ammo. Accuracy? Who cared about accuracy? It almost never shot a full magazine without malfunctioning. Obviously, I didn't have it long. In the end I'd have to say I love that gun, still to this day. Why? It taught me an important lesson. Don't buy cheap guns. I noticed you didn't ask about a Jennings or a Tec-9. Some people love those too, you know.

I thought I couldn't afford a high-quality pistol. I worked a dead-end job at the time and didn't make very much money. I grew up poor. None of this was the problem. The problem was that I didn't want to save up 3 or 4 paychecks for a pistol. I wanted it now, and all I got this paycheck was X-amount of money. Anyone who has a job, a computer and the internet can buy a decent pistol. I didn't pay more than $600 for any of mine. And as someone already said in this post, once you shoot quality pistols, you won't ever go back to shooting Hi-Points.

1" groups at 25 yards? Priceless... :D

gandog56
July 11, 2006, 09:26 PM
As a joke I bid $70 for a used Hi-Point .45. Imagine my shock when I won the auction. Got the thing in, and it was ugly as sin. Could not for the life of me figure how they made a half plastic gun weigh so much. Was almost afraid to, but took it to the range.
The thing was a jam-o-matic, but when it did fire it put the holes where I was aiming them. Ended up getting a SA 1911A1 GI and giving the Hi-Point to my little brother. Would I depend on this gun in a firefight, no friggin' way, but I got about what I paid for it.

makarovnik
July 11, 2006, 10:09 PM
I had a Davis .380acp and it worked great. It never jammed but the front of the slide broke after about 700 rounds. I sent it in and they put a new slide on. When I got it back I sold it for $80.

I had a Jennings J380 and it never jammed but the slide bit my hand everytime. I traded it in and only lost about $15 on the deal.

I currently have a Jennings T380 (larger .380) and it has never jammed and is accurate too. Unfortunately this is one of the models that Jiminez Arms no longer makes.

I currently have a Hi-Point 9mm compact. It is very accurate but it jams occaisionally. I keep this gun because it only jams about 5-10% of the time and it is a range gun only. I figure I can shoot the crap out of it, return it to Beemiller and they will fix it or replace it for free.

I currently have a Hi-Point .45acp with polymer frame. I love this pistol. I have only shot FMJ through it and it has never jammed. It is EXTREMELY accurate.

I still have my faux pearl handle Raven .25acp. I paid $60 for this brand new at a gun show back in 1997. This gun has never jammed and is unbelievably accurate. At 35 feet or less it's almost as accurate as my Ruger 22/45. I'm not kidding! At over 35 ft accuracy is so so. I wish Phoenix Arms still made these. It is WAY better than the HP22 I used to own.

I still have my makarov. This is the first pistol I ever bought and it's still my favorite. It has about 1500 rounds through it and it has never jammed. I paid $170 for it brand new. The slide to frame fit was so tight when it was new, that you could look at the back of it and it looked like it was all one piece. After about 500 rounds the slide to frame fit loosened up quite a bit. It still keeps very tight groups. I've found that slide to frame fit on a blowback pistol is overrated. It doesn't always matter if it's loose as long as it returns to that same loose position everytime you're okay. It can be an indicator of how many rounds have gone through the gun though.

I also have a Carpati model 95 in .380acp. It's a good gun but you can't find parts for it. If something breaks I will probably have to make it myself or possibly modify a part from a Walther or PA-63. I got rid of my PA-63 because it jammed a lot and the recoil was worse than shooting a .44 mag.

Now by contrast I owned a brand new Auto-Ordinance (Thompson) WWII .45acp. I think I paid almost $400 for it. It was the biggest piece of crap I ever owned. It was a jam-o-matic. When it did fire it shot WAY left and WAY low and spit the brass casings into my right eye. Then there was the trigger. Sometimes it was okay at about six lbs and sometimes it went off with about 1/2 lb of pressure. Scared the hell out of me so I got rid of it.

Some cheap guns are good (or okay) and some fairly expensive guns are crap. I get rid of any gun that doesn't perform well. The only gun I have kept that jams is the Hi-Point 9mm and it doesn't jam that often. I know I can always send it in and they will fix it. The most surprising performers I have are the Raven and the Jennings T380 because I hear from a lot of other people that they are crap.

That's the low-down on the low-end guns.

LoneCoon
July 11, 2006, 11:52 PM
Hi-Points are made in Dayton, if I remeber correctly, or at least, their main office is there. I think they used to be made in Mansfield. They're all over Ohio gun stores, and one place in Miamisburg advertises them as "Made in Ohio!."

That's got to be some source of pride, buying a gun made in your own state.

MDMadrid
July 21, 2006, 11:45 PM
I got a 9mm hi-point as my first gun. It has performed flawlessly! Best gun i have!

Travmcgrav
July 22, 2006, 12:46 AM
I like the 9mm compact I shot 2in groups with 16rnds at ten yards.

P.S. I'm only 14.

Mooseman
July 22, 2006, 01:13 AM
If you don't have the money to buy something better than a Hi-Point than by all means buy one. I you do have the money to buy something better to defend yourself then I recommend a Ruger sp101. I personnally own a Hi-Point 45 and I love it. I wouldn't try to carry it around due to its weight and bulk but I can't fault it's reliability. I wish it was lighter, had better sights, and some aftermarket support. Do I regret buying it? Hell no! A very cool lead thrower for $170 OTD. A lot of fun as a plinker or back up home defense weapon. Surprisingly accurate. Not the best choice for defending your person though. BTW if they ever release the Hi-Point .45 carbine I'd buy one in a second.:)

confed sailor
July 22, 2006, 09:36 AM
Just remember, there is a reason they made the blowback slide on a hi-point so heavy. When its hopelessly jammed, you can bludgeon your attacker to death with it.:neener:

as for putting chevy parts on a jeep to improve reliability, that sounds about par for the course.

tecdv
July 24, 2006, 12:38 AM
Hi-Points are made in Dayton, if I remeber correctly, or at least, their main office is there. I think they used to be made in Mansfield. They're all over Ohio gun stores, and one place in Miamisburg advertises them as "Made in Ohio!."

That's got to be some source of pride, buying a gun made in your own state.

Their offices are here in Dayton for sure, just a couple of miles from my office. Not really sure if they make them in Dayton though. These are all over the place here in Dayton. I have many friends that own them. I've never owned one myself, but I have shot many of them. I've never seen a problem with any of them myself, they all shot perfectly. Thankfully I can afford better, but if that's all I could afford, then that's what I'd have. I've heard stories about older ones that had quality problems, but they seem to have worked them out. I think you can get lemmons no matter what you buy. I do have to agree that they are not the best looking gun around, but it doesn't have to be pretty to take care of business. Personally, I'd rather own a Hi-Point and be armed, than be unarmed because I'm too proud to own an cheap, ugly gun.

usmc0311
July 27, 2009, 05:49 PM
I have owned my C9 since 07 before I got out of the Marines. I've put about 2, 250rnds through it and it only jammed a few times at first. I shot it once when I returned home then it sat, cleaned only 2x in the last 2 years. I took it out yesterday to do a maintainance shoot with 50 rounds, not one jam, not one problem. And this was AFTER 2 years of not shooting it and only cleaning it twice. Its a good gun and I also have a Springfield 1911A1 GI that I shoot to. I shoot both of them. My C9 was about $190 total. So in my opinion and experiance, it has (mine does atleast) the reliability of a Glock, the looks of the a drunk manufacture and the weight of a paperweight. This is just my C9. Each gun is different. This is the most reliable 9mm I have fired. My groups wernt that bad either, 2 -3in groups at 25 yards, even that was at a rapid fire rate. No shotgun pattern, not one single jam. Would I gamble my life with it in a SD situation? Actually, yes. I had to bet my life on an M16 and a M249 SAW (made by the lowest bidder) with no problems, so yes. I would use this pistol. Again, this is based on my own personal experience and opinion with my C9. I've seen high dollar Glocks explode when fired by Marine Force Recon and a few SEALs. I've seen many weapons malfunction on the shooter but this C9, given the same neglect that made Glock famous, is reliable.

DougDubya
July 27, 2009, 06:44 PM
It's almost worthwhile to get a Hi-Point just to see some of the snobs lose a gasket. :D

Bass Killer
July 27, 2009, 09:02 PM
I wouldnt recommend getting a Hi Point, you get what you pay for.

cchris
July 27, 2009, 09:16 PM
Just out of curiosity - you base this recommendation on what personal experience?

I certainly do. Taking both my Sigma 9mm and my friend's Hi-Point 9mm out to the range, we each shot Remington UMC, Blazer Brass, PMC, and Winchester White Box through the guns.

In my gun, everything shot fine, albeit nobody was a big fan of the trigger. Through the Hi-Point, WWB was jam-o-matic (5 out of 10 rounds jammed) and the rest were less problematic, although there were jams on every mag but the UMC I believe. He'd (tried to) put about 500 rounds through it, so it wasn't the stiff mag spring issue.

He got rid of it, but I'm glad I sprung the extra money to get something that hasn't been problematic. This is really only the 9mm that I've noticed. I've seen the .40 go through magazine after magazine without a problem.

frankiestoys
July 27, 2009, 09:30 PM
You know iv'e been researching these guns for awhile and guys can get pretty steamed up over these guns.
Some say" there junk , there crap,dont waste your money" others say" its the best 150.00$ i ever spent" or like myself," i dont know!"
Ive looked at them, almost put money down on the c-9 and then again the carbine but could never bring myself too buy one.
Im deffinitly not a gun snob i own a little of everything, even a rough rider witch some people hate and mine, for WHAT ITS WORTH, fires every time.
So i guess it realy comes down to personal choice and sometimes you should just take a chance, heck for the price what can you really expect.
Besides you know what they say about opinions.

usmc0311
July 27, 2009, 09:39 PM
I think one thing to remember is that just like with scopes, not everyone will like or use or like the same gun. My best friend loves his Glock 17, but I hate Glock, and yes I have fired a Glock, a G22 to be exact. Didnt like it at all. I have shot his Bushmaster XM15, he swears by it, I wasnt a fan of it but I liked it. He has never fired my C9 but tells me up and down that I wasted my money, with no personal experiance. I tell him its still a decent gun but he still goes by online oppinion rather then experience. I agree with frankiestoys, some hate them, some like them, some dont care. I just know that mine fires with EVERY trigger pull

Bass Killer
July 27, 2009, 09:44 PM
I heard hi points are great if you want to feel powder burns on your face everytime it fires. And the fear factor of the gun possibly blowing up in your hand.

Mooseman
July 27, 2009, 11:19 PM
I've never had powder burns from mine. Not sure how they would even do that. As far as exploding the barrel seems to be plenty robust.

There's a lot of these guns out there, has anyone ever heard of a first hand experience with a kaboom?

I'm not saying these don't have flaws but I don't think they're inherently less safe than the majority of other guns out there.

oak1971
July 28, 2009, 12:10 AM
I own some very expensive guns. (Sig Elites, Harrison/Les Baer) They perform flawlessly and are very accurate. Thing is, a carry gun is going to get beat up possibly confiscated at some point. At least until you are cleared for "a good shoot" . I would rather have a cheaper but reliable gun that is expendable. For me the top end of cheap is Glock and Hi Point the bottom. A Keltech, Taurus or Smith is in the middle. I have a Keltech p3at that can go anywhere, and I might try a PF-9 too. That or a Glock sub compact. I wouldn't care if those got beat up or taken.

PT1911
July 28, 2009, 12:20 AM
I dont know about you.. but I can put every shot with any of my guns through the same hole ever time...

KCOLLINS18
July 28, 2009, 10:07 AM
I own a .40 caliber Hi-point, it was my first gun, its very reliable and accurate. The downside of it is that the Hi-points are very heavy and definitly not for CCWs but in return you don't have much of a recoil on it. Here recently its been jamming but its just every now and then. Other than that I think this gun is a great value for somebody who wants to buy a cheap and reliable gun just to target shoot with.

Upstate Gun Man
July 28, 2009, 10:18 AM
I have had the full size 9MM for several years. at least a thousand rounds, no jams shoots just fine. I never understood why the bad rap. I am going to buy another soon.. great gun for plinking and home def.

duwulf
July 28, 2009, 11:55 AM
My first gun was a hipoint 9mm with a compensator. It was cheap and had a lifetime warranty sounded like a great deal to me. It came with two mags, I don't remember how many the extended one held. The 8 rd mag worked good, I don't remember any problems but the extended one would jam on almost every shot. Eventually I just used the 8 rd mag. I know i could have contacted hipoint and got a new mag but I'm lazy.

I almost gave up shooting because I just didn't like shooting this gun It was too small for my hand and would hurt after shooting it awhile. I thought if this was what shooting pistols was all about it wasn't for me. Then a friend of mine got a baby desert eagle in 45. I loved shooting it and thought maybe it was the caliber I didn't like. By that time I was making better money and on his suggestion of getting a better gun I got a Beretta px4 in 45. I loved shooting it, couldn't hit anything but the ground because i shoot 45's low but its a problem with me not the gun.

I also found that I had began holding a very high grip and would engage the safety by accident. I lost confidence in this firearm completely because of this. I admit it has nothing to do with the gun its my shooting style but if a gun doesn't work for you then you need not use it. I sold it and bought a sig 226 in 9mm.

My only advice is try shooting one first or atleast hold it and see how it fits your hand because a gun that is not comfortable for you to shoot will not be shot.

theotherwaldo
July 28, 2009, 01:09 PM
If Hi-Points are so bad, how come you can't find them used?

As many as there are getting sold new, you'd think that they'd be thick on the ground, discarded by disgusted buyers.

I've never bought a Hi-Point pistol 'cause I like to buy my guns second-hand!

BTW, I finally bought a 995 carbine - but I had to buy it new!

russ45
July 28, 2009, 02:00 PM
When did those High Points start getting good? The 380 and 40 I've seen you can't even shoot a magazine without jamming. Also, you can shake the gun side-to-side and it rattles. Under $150 sounds good, but it must feed and eject reliably or it's not even worth that.

CoRoMo
July 28, 2009, 02:13 PM
C9

None of the others are smaller, prettier, or as inexpensive to shoot.

ezypikns
July 28, 2009, 02:45 PM
Pay close attention to the opinions of those who have owned one or shot one extensively.

Ignore everyone else.

Ash
July 28, 2009, 03:00 PM
Beemiller, Iberia, Haskel, and Stallard all made the Hi Point before Hi Point. Just like Lorcin and Jennings, the design went through a series of owners and producers. Hi Point has lasted the longest, and the product may be okay - as long as you don't plan on carrying it CCW. Only a fool would trust that safety.

I almost bought a Haskel back in 1995. I ended up buying a Bryco 9. Never again will I buy very low end like that. I'm not a name guy, but that Haskel was a real piece of junk (imagine the Bryco handling better!).

The fact remains that they are blow-back pistols chambered for high-pressure rounds. They may indeed be reliable and accurate, I cannot say about the new ones. But they are single action striker-fired pistols with laughable safeties. They have zinc-alloy slides. They are cheaply-made.

They may work well for casual shooting and target practice, but there are better pistols out there. Yes, there really are better pistols out there and they are not even that much more expensive. Those who trust the Hi Point, more power to you.

As to those who mention you cannot find them used. I see them used all the time. But do you know how much a pawn shop gives for a used Hi Point? Around $15-$35. Would you sell any pistol for that much? I sold my Bryco for $50. In any case, check out gunbroker if you want some used.

Bass Killer
July 28, 2009, 07:34 PM
I've never had powder burns from mine. Not sure how they would even do that. As far as exploding the barrel seems to be plenty robust.

There's a lot of these guns out there, has anyone ever heard of a first hand experience with a kaboom?

I'm not saying these don't have flaws but I don't think they're inherently less safe than the majority of other guns out there.

Youtube is full of jammings and hot powder burns

theotherwaldo
July 28, 2009, 08:00 PM
YouTube is full of many things... .

Mooseman
July 28, 2009, 08:06 PM
Youtube is full of jammings and hot powder burns

I can understand the jams part. A lot of firearms jam initially and hi-points are known to not uncommonly have mag issues right out of the box. There's plenty of other firearms at all price points to have break in issues.

I don't understand why anything about their design would make unburnt powder fly around. I'd like a link to the video. I'm not doubting what your saying but I'm curious as to why that would happen.

Bass Killer
July 28, 2009, 08:49 PM
The .45 model spays hot powder back at you, I dont know how or why. Its happened to me with a Beretta M9 before so its not a myth

Ash
July 28, 2009, 08:54 PM
One guy got a Hi Point that was marked 45ACP on the slide but was fitted with a 40S&W barrel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5i_2zHqkBs&NR=1

Here's his experience with the replacement - since experience is what's asked for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAbEeMK2HFA&NR=1

And then you have this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwxOz5ZhlAA&feature=related

Of course, many do like it, this this couple, who seems satisfied.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe9f7BGqf44&feature=related

MCgunner
July 28, 2009, 08:55 PM
I'm really not sure how they shoot. I could never get past the ugly to actually shoot one. They'd probably work as a range gun, but they're not really practical for much else.

If you want a CHEAP and very good carry, think Makarov. They are getting rarer, though.

Wirtbowhunter
July 28, 2009, 09:02 PM
After having nothing but great luck with my 995, I picked up a c9 at a gun show last winter. It is def not something carry around and brag about but it has never failed me. I have owned several nicer guns, and currently have a pair of XD's. I can shoot my c9 better than my xd's. At 20 yards I can shoot around 3-4" groups. I've heard lots of bad reports from folks on the internet about them, most have probably never owned or shot one. I'm sure that they have bad ones but mine goes bang each and every time I pull the trigger.

The worst thing is I only got one mag with it, I'd like to buy more but I hate to tie up as much money in mags as I have in the pistol. I would'nt go shoot a match with it for the main reason of having only 8 rounds in the mag.

I'll pick up another if I find it cheap enough and see if I just got lucky on the first one.

ranger351w
January 2, 2010, 10:15 AM
I have a 995ts and it is a great little weapon.I would trust it anytime and has been flawless with lrn reloads and accurate. Everyone at our IDPA shoots love it. They probably shoot it more than I do when we are done with the cofs and just playing around. What else can I say?? Will not tell anyone to buy one and will not tell them to not buy one. Up to you.

harmon rabb
January 2, 2010, 12:36 PM
my buddy has their 9mm carbine. it seems reliable and is minute of bad guy accurate.

JR47
January 2, 2010, 01:49 PM
When $1000 guns require a break-in, why wouldn't a $150 gun? When $1000 guns have to go back to the factory for defects (Sig P229, HK USP, both with MSRP over a grand), why wouldn't a $150 pistol?

They have a Warranty that is easy to use, and fast to service your gun. This is in marked contrast to Sig and HK, both of which took 6 weeks to repair my guns. Because someone is "too lazy" to use it says more of the shooter than the product. How many of us would refuse to send our Baer back if it wasn't up to par, and keep shooting it, and bad-mouthing it?

They are ugly. However, the local gun shops can't keep them in stock. Nor do they get used ones in, either.

Beemiller, Iberia, Haskel, and Stallard all made the Hi Point before Hi Point. Just like Lorcin and Jennings, the design went through a series of owners and producers. Hi Point has lasted the longest, and the product may be okay - as long as you don't plan on carrying it CCW. Only a fool would trust that safety.

Uh-huh, and so did Ruger, S&W, Sig, Colt, HK, and Savage. All of these designs went through a series development, and in many cases, owners. That's just mere pontificating, and means nothing. The comparison of cast frames, plastic frames, blow-back design, etc. can be found in just about any line of guns.

The guns do all that's required of them. They shoot accurately enough for defense. Cost is affordable in these days of lay-offs and pay-cuts, and they enable those who would otherwise not have a gun to practice their skills until they can snob-up, and be appreciated by people who hate a "cheap gun", especially that works.

BarkelyPup
January 2, 2010, 02:22 PM
I have both the 9mm and the 380. The Nine has jammed a lot on plinker ammo. The 380 however is a gun i have a lot of confidence in. I have put over 1000 rounds through it with not the first problem. Still though I only pack my 442 S&W 38. Can't deny the reliability of a revolver.

jon_in_wv
January 2, 2010, 02:33 PM
Beemiller, Iberia, Haskel, and Stallard all made the Hi Point before Hi Point.

HiPoint are made by Beemiller, Iberia, and Haskel under HiPionts umbrella. The Carbine is the only one I could stomach purhasing. I have considered getting a couple of the 9mms for oh **** guns to put in a box somewhere.

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/contact/contact_hi_point_firearms.html

tlmkr38
January 2, 2010, 02:54 PM
Good advice.

Think of a gun as a dangerous instrument. Do you want it built by the lowest bidder with your life possibly depending on it?

They may work - but not when you need it.

When a gun is below a certain price point - the maker cuts somewhere.

Second best design to save 10%
Low cost - less durable materials - low quality steel
Service means a new gun since it's easier than actually fixing it

Some have called me a gun snob. I am.

Cheap guns save lots of police officer's lives every year. Why would you risk your life that way - even if it is a trunk gun?

Why settle for less?:uhoh:
Rememeber, the most sophisticated high tech military in the world (US Military) is supplied by the lowest bidder..... I had the same thoughts about HI Point also. Then I bought one from a friend who needed money. tried everything I could to make it jam. It will if you limp wrist it but it shot reloads, factory, hollowpoints,FMJ lead anything I fed it. It fired right side up. upside down and sideways...

As for one that I would carry, no, I like others better, But I won't knock a HI Point based on price. IT was reliable, fairly accurate which means I could walk a can with it and actually not too bad on recoil. Besides, it is always better to have on you can afford than to be looking at one you can't.

Hawthorne2k
January 2, 2010, 06:22 PM
Last year I was out a gunblogger meetup at a public range in Casa Grande (http://smallestminority.blogspot.com/2009/12/casa-grande-1209.html), where we über-cool super-sophisticated gun blogger types were firing our tricked-out hardware. I had my 3-gun competition firearms and there were Garands and Kimbers and 1000 yard sniper rifles spittin' out .338 Lapau and we were all just a-havin' a great time.

About halfway thru it, we were joined by a dozen or so locals out for a Saturday shoot with their collection of firearms, and the nicest gun they had was a Taurus PT145. They had Mossberg Mavericks and Hi-Point carbines and SKS's and Moison-Nagants and Hi-Point pistols o'plenty. None of their guns were "barbecue guns (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=95411)"; heck, all of their guns put together probably cost as much as the scope on one of our rifles.

And you know what? They were having just as good a time with their sub-$300 firearms as we were with our tricked-out super deluxe ultra-guns.

If what you got works for you and works well, don't worry about what company is stamped on the receiver: Shoot it often and well, and let others worry about labels and brand names. The gun you have and can use to defend your life (if needed) RIGHT NOW is much, much better than the gun of your dreams.

jon_in_wv
January 2, 2010, 11:04 PM
I have counseled many of my friends against buying HiPoints. None of them listened but every one of them has been who bought one wasn't disappointed. They all work well for them. None of them are avid shooters either so I'm sure they haven't seen a lot of rounds down range.

wgaynor
January 3, 2010, 01:08 AM
Sounds like too many assumptions on here. No matter what the subject matter may be, when I hear "I heard" or "a friend said" or "a buddy of mine", I automatically discount it as hearsay. Granted, there are one or two first hand accounts of bad experiences, but you can have that with any product...even the most expensive ones.

I once opened a coke can to find it was empty...does that mean all coke cans are empty?

I once bought a hi point that has yet to jam and works perfect for me. Does that mean all hi points will? No. Just because it is not suitable for one person, doesn't mean it isn't suitable for others.

Way too many opinions on here and very few facts.

jon_in_wv
January 3, 2010, 04:11 AM
That is kind of a cop out. If I say I have 10 friends that all bought Hi-Points and none of them had any problems with them I would call that a fact. Its not my OPINION they didn't have problems with theirs. If you have problems with the way people are presenting the facts or the lack thereof you should add to the conversation and provide some of the facts you are talking about. Showing up to tell everyone you are going to ignore their opinions doesn't add much.

This is a FORUM. (. an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest.) it is meant as a place for people to discuss their opinions. Take them for what they are worth. If you are looking for FACTS, then your probably looking in the wrong place. Looking on the internet for the FACTS is a risky endeavor to start with.

CajunBass
January 3, 2010, 04:27 AM
I have counseled many of my friends against buying HiPoints. None of them listened but every one of them has been disappointed. They all work well for them.

Why were they disapointed? :confused:

FenderTK421
January 3, 2010, 05:27 AM
"Also, you can shake the gun side-to-side and it rattles."

Same w/ every AKM copy I have ever held. How reliable are they?

jon_in_wv
January 3, 2010, 05:33 AM
Good catch Cajun, I meant NONE of them. It was a typo.

Also, 1911s rattle, my P7 rattles, my M&Ps rattle. Its just what they do.

CajunBass
January 3, 2010, 08:21 AM
I figured that was what you meant Jon. :D

I know this thread started about four years ago, but since it's risen from the dead (is this a "Zombie thread"?) I don't mind commenting. I've got a Hi-Point (9mm). It works which is all I ask it to do. I suppose you could say it groups like buckshot, but then every handgun I have seems to do that when I shoot it for some reason. :D I haven't shot the gun in years, but if the Zombies ever come for us, I'll issue it to somebody. It's a lot better than no gun.

wgaynor
January 3, 2010, 12:37 PM
Jon in wv

you're preaching to the choir here. I am a huge Hi Point fan and was referring to all the posts where somebody had a friend of a friend that had one that worked horribly.

I too thought you were stating they were dissapointed by their purchases and didn't realize it was a typo.

My question is why did you counsel people AGAINST buying HI Points?

PigButtons
January 3, 2010, 01:10 PM
I LOVE zombie threads like this!

I got a Hi-Point .45 to use if I had to shoot a neighbor's dog because the neighbor is too stupid to keep his vicious pit bull under control and out of my yard. :banghead:

If the gun gets confiscated for a time, or forever, who cares. If they take my $900 Detonics that would hurt for a long time.

Point is, know why you want to buy a gun, and get one that meets the need.

MrWesson
January 3, 2010, 01:23 PM
About highpoint not being accurate I call BS. My c9 although ugly can shoot circles around my glock 26. Now when something goes down I will reach for my glock because it feeds more reliably. Although the c9 does not jam often (every 400 rounds or so) my glock has never had a FTF.

The difference between a snob and an enthusiast is the snob will see a hipoint and think to himself I would never touch that gun but the other guy will at least shoot or buy one to try all flavors.

A highpoint serves an important role in the gun industry to put a gun in the hands of people who otherwise may not be able to protect themselves or family. The more people that own firearms the better off we all are in the long run.

Your average joe who isnt a enthusiast will not be able to tell the difference between a glock and a highpoint based on appearance and I have tested this on about 10 of my friends who dont shoot.

The Bushmaster
January 3, 2010, 02:08 PM
I amagin that a hi-point is better then a stick, but put a point on that stick and it might just be better.

makarovnik
January 3, 2010, 06:03 PM
I have all of them and the full sized .40 and .45 are MUCH more reliable than the .380 and 9mm compact. They are also very big and heavy.

The .40 with the little plastic spacer insert feeds slicker than crap through a goose.

Jonah71
January 3, 2010, 11:19 PM
I've heard nothing but good things about the carbines, but have never fired one. I've fired a few Hi Points pistols lately. All 9mms and only one of them could get through a clip without a jam. BUT, at one time I could say the same thing about Taurus (personally). But I now own 3 Taurus guns and my 9mm is the most dependable pistol I've ever had. Guns can "evolve" and improve with the manufacturing process/ownership or whatever. But I don't think Hi Point, based on my personal experiance, has got there yet....unlike Taurus. (and you'll still find a few lemons there just as with any other machine). But imo......I wouldn't trust my life on a Hi Point handgun. And I'm not a gun snob...I even own a Bersa, (an old Jennings that I actually use for a paper weight since that's all it's good for), a Llama, and several other less expensive guns. btw....I think my little Bersa thunder .380 del is gonna be one of my best buys of the year now that I got the kinks worked out of it. Great little handgun. One of the best buys on the market imo.

jon_in_wv
January 4, 2010, 12:20 AM
My question is why did you counsel people AGAINST buying HI Points?

Because to be honest I think there are better weapons to be had for the money. BUT they fill their niche well so I was probably wrong. I don't bash the HiPoints and I have a 995 carbine and for the occasional shooter who just wants a really cheap gun for his house or truck they aren't bad. I think most would be better served by an old 38 S&W or a Sigma though. A couple guys wanted a gun for CCW and I told them to get a P-11, a Bersa 380, or a Makarov and they would be better served. They bought the HP and they ended up never carrying it. I suppose if they are trying to find the cheapest gun for CCW they probably weren't all that serious about carrying anyhow. Now I would say if someone just wants a casual shooter for plinking on the range or their backyard a HP would do just fine.

AnArmyofRon
January 4, 2010, 12:58 AM
The 9mm carbine at 25 yards with the factory iron sights will produce hole through hole results. the 9mm pistol was enjoyable to shoot. If you are new to reloading there is no better firearm to test your loads through. Its tough, inexpensive, reliable enough, and if you mess it up there is no greater warrantee on the planet. I've moved up to bigger and better guns, but started with hipoint. I know this is an old thread and I don't post much, but I also know most gun-snobs like to trash that which they do not know. Everyone has their favorite manufacturer but we all end up shooting what we like based on experience. My experiences with hipoint were favorable.

hammerslammer
January 17, 2010, 06:48 PM
I've owned the High point 45 caliber acp jhp for a couple of years, and have put it through pure hell, it had feed problems at first, but that was my fault, due to me not properly cleaning it when i first got it, haven't had any problems after i properly cleaned it, i found it to be pretty heavy, loaded, but like anything in life, practice makes perfect, and i shoot it every weekend, i love the three dot sites and with a small adjustment , it's very accurate for me. I've owned alot of firearms and this one, is one of the best I've owned as far as reliability and accuracy( practice, practice , practice) I don't believe you can pull a pistol out of a box and be successful right off the bat without practice,:banghead: some good guns get bad reviews, because people won't practice and make the right adjustments

blkbrd666
January 17, 2010, 07:19 PM
Guys, we really shouldn't badmouth the Hi-Point. It is a multipurpose tool after all...probably not the same with your (insert brand name here) gun. Some people will go to the toolbox to get a screwdriver or pliers...others will pull out their multi-tool.

navyretired 1
January 18, 2010, 06:15 AM
I think the high points are ugly, BUT they feel good in hand they don't come back for repairs and never have.
The only one I own is the 9mm carbine, Has ATI stock, an old Tasco Pro-Point red dot and extended bolt handle (made in stainless by me) to clear Tasco's battery cylinder.
When I first got carbine it took two men and a boy to cock the damn thing so I called HP and they said LIFE-TIME send it back. Approx. 2 weeks later it was back worked perfectly and every part except stock hand been replaced with 2 new mags to cover my shipping costs. I did have to take ATI stock off as they won't work on one wearing them. So don't through your old stock away.
These people are serious about service, and I've got a great truck gun for cheap, Oh I bought it used and abused.

Hatterasguy
January 18, 2010, 12:25 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=154348462

Damn they are cheap. For $137 I'm tempted just to buy it, beat the crap out of it, and see what it can take.

Cheap stuff sometimes surprises you. If it really only costs Glock $75 to make one of their pistols than in theory you should be able to buy a Glock for Hi Point money too.

Mp7
January 18, 2010, 12:57 PM
...if i could not afford Police-tradein Glocks
Hi Point would be doubtless be the choice.

I think we all would have a better image of them
if they said "Made in Russia" on them.

i think making a new Makarov for cheap
would be a great marketing success.

GForceLizard
January 18, 2010, 03:36 PM
There are many people that buy guns and never shoot them after the trip to the range to check it out. If you don't shoot then why not a Hi Point. If you shoot a lot, the quality of parts in the gun will become more obvious. I would not trust a low quality gun to hold up over the years and multiple 10s of thousands of rounds. Why not shop for a decent used gun?

w_houle
January 18, 2010, 04:34 PM
but then again.. i could get a CZ52 or Star BM 9mm for the same price
Where?

Dalerj
January 19, 2010, 08:29 PM
Saturday I bought a used HiPoint C9-9mm. Took it home, tore it down, cleaned it, and oiled & greased it. Shot it this A.M.. 75 shots . One failure to feed shooting some 121gr. truncated cone cast lead bullets. These same bullets have given me troubles in my Walther P1 and Hi Power. Other wise good shooting experience.

My best group was a 1 hole 6 shot at 21 feet. Shot 8 but I pulled one hi and 1 low. The hi & low ones were me, not the gun. I just hate it when the bullets all go to the place the sights were lined up with when the gun goes off. (joke)

I can't complain about the gun. It goes off when i pull the trigger and the bullets hit the point of aim.

The trigger has a long pull that I am not used to. As I learn the gun better I am sure the trigger will be less of a problem. I am staging the trigger now but need more practice to get it to the point where it almost goes off.

Over all, a good gun. As to the gun being heavy, It is lighter than a lot of guns out there. Weighed it on an analytical balance and it weighs less than my brother's bursa 9 if both have mags inserted. ( 871 grams with mag, bersa 893 grams with mag) On the other hand it does feel top heavy. It has a heavy slide and light grip that cause the inbalance.

Got my moneys worth. $140 with tax. I am sure I could sell it for $100 no problem. I had $40 worth of fun shooting and learning already. It is going to help me develop better trigger control as I shoot it. That is worth the price alone.

Now for the down side, "Damn that thing shore is ugly". We had an ugly contest at the range after shooting this A.M. The only thing that came close was a ruger lcr. The Hi Point won the ugly contest hands down.

So--- That is a plus! Won my first contest with it!- Dalerj

mordechaianiliewicz
January 19, 2010, 09:35 PM
I think the 9mm versions are the best all around in terms of reliability and logevity. As well as shootability.... though that's relative.

MrWesson
January 19, 2010, 11:20 PM
The Bushmaster

I amagin that a hi-point is better then a stick, but put a point on that stick and it might just be better.

Ok so you will take a sharp stick over a loaded .45 highpoint :rolleyes:.

they fill a niche in the market and I owned one before my tastes evolved to better firearms. I will say that of handguns I have shot over the years the accuracy with a highpoint was top 10% of all of them and never gave me any problems.

If a negative confrontation ever arises as a former hipoint owner I will say if your tactics are not sharper than the guy with the highpoint you will be dead as if he had a 1911.

Col. Plink
January 20, 2010, 06:57 PM
I have had a ton o' fun with my HiPoint .40 carbine so far, and it was cheap enough to trade some ammo for. It only cost the $20 for some rings and scope on clearance from WalMart.

My sister in law and nephews think it is the coolest thing on the planet. Easy to load, easy to handle, aim, and HIT STUFF (it is quite accurate). Looking forward to the pistol...

gregj
January 20, 2010, 09:10 PM
They are what they are, decent guns at a great price, with a great warranty. I also like my XDm and my Sigs (I really like my Sigs) and my Ruger and my S&W and my Kimber. The Hi Point filled a need at the time, and it filled it well.

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv262/gbjones/Guns/Target_C9_07062008.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "With all the HI-POINT guns out there which is.........." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!