Weaver Choke Tubes?

PDA

texagun
December 19, 2005, 10:14 AM
I bought a beautiful old 20 ga. Ithaca Model 37 (circa 1977) at a gun show this past weekend. It has the old Weaver Choke tubes that screw on the end of the barrel. One is marked "AP" and the other one is marked "LR" instead of the standard "Full, Modified, Improved Cylinder," etc. Can anyone tell me what "AP" and "LR" stand for and what they equivocate to in terms of choke settings?

If you enjoyed reading about "Weaver Choke Tubes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JohnBT
December 19, 2005, 11:07 AM
Lyman used to make choke tubes with names like All Purpose and Long Range. I'd guess Mod and Full. This is the only thing that comes to mind.

Okay, found a page, but it doesn't clear up much of anything. LR, AP, Upland, Spreader are options.

www.corsonsbarrels.com Go down the left side to Chokes, then Cutts Compensator Chokes, then scroll down the righthand page to the Internal chokes.

John

texagun
December 19, 2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks John...that's the best answer and reference I have received on the Weaver tubes. Thanks again for the info.
texagun

SwampWolf
December 19, 2005, 12:30 PM
I have a 1958 source (Richard Arnold's shotgun book) that describes the Weaver-Choke as being a device that "consists of the choke with a choice of six tubes which are instantly detachable and replaceable. The grading of the tubes are extra-full choke, for long-range shooting, full choke, three-quarter choke and Skeet choke. It is made through-out of hard, alloyed aluminum. Reduced muzzle and recoil are obtained through the pattern of circular holes in the body of the choke as opposed to the more conventional slots..."
I guess "LR" could stand for long range and, a real shot in the dark here, "AP" meaning all purpose (modified?). Weaver discontinued their manufacture of the Weaver-Choke in 1961, right around the time Winchester revolutionized the shotgun world with their introduction of the Versa-choke screw-in choke system.

texagun
December 19, 2005, 01:54 PM
Lyman used to make choke tubes with names like All Purpose and Long Range. I'd guess Mod and Full. This is the only thing that comes to mind.

Okay, found a page, but it doesn't clear up much of anything. LR, AP, Upland, Spreader are options.

www.corsonsbarrels.com Go down the left side to Chokes, then Cutts Compensator Chokes, then scroll down the righthand page to the Internal chokes.

John

You are correct...the tubes are LYMAN...I incorrectly described them as Weaver. Thanks for the links...they have been very helpful.

JohnBT
December 19, 2005, 02:04 PM
You're welcome.

And 1977 isn't old. Is it? ;)

John

Dave McCracken
December 19, 2005, 07:59 PM
Pattern them, The Truth is out there.....

If you enjoyed reading about "Weaver Choke Tubes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!