Systema Colt

PDA

Brian Williams
January 2, 2003, 01:51 PM
I have a chance at a nice systema that has the 1911 type sights and I would like to change to the 1911a1 type sights. How hard is it to change the skinny front sight to the wider one.

The price is $325 could possibly talk down to $300.

If you enjoyed reading about "Systema Colt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim V
January 2, 2003, 01:58 PM
It should not be hard to use a Dremel Tool, :what:, and grind off the swaged part of the tenon and remove the front sight. You may have to open the tenon slot in the slide to get the new sight to fit cofrrectly. A GI type swaging tool would not be expensive.

jim-alex
January 2, 2003, 09:16 PM
Perfessr: sight is a narrow tenon milspec - easy to remove with a Dremel with a tiny burr. Installing a wider replacement is also pretty easy with a staking tool (about $20 at Brownells) BUT the problem I had was the larger front sight separating from the narrow tenon after couple of hundred rounds.
I ended up having a dovetail cut in the slide and a new front installed. Now no problems. If you replace the front you also have to replace the rear - little chance that the old milspec rear will work well with a new wider front sight.

Regards
Jim

Kahr carrier
January 4, 2003, 08:14 AM
Sounds like a good price.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Systema Colt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!