Are we getting lots more newbies than usual this month?

PDA

MatthewVanitas
December 19, 2005, 10:47 PM
Just a passing observation: it seems that our flow of newbies has dramatically increased in the last month. Anybody else noticed?

Definitely a good thing, just not sure how it started all of a sudden. They can't all be kids on Christmas Break.

-MV

If you enjoyed reading about "Are we getting lots more newbies than usual this month?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Can'thavenuthingood
December 19, 2005, 11:22 PM
I told 2 of my friends about THR and they told 2 of their friends and they told 2 of their friends and so on?

I had a really lengthy elementary answer but decided it sounded too smart alecky and that wasn't the intention. But yeah I have noticed alot more folks introducing themselves. Maybe they just been lurking a long time and decided to get in on some of the political issues.

On the other hand, the New Orleans gun confiscations may have a number of people thinking about honing some basic self reliant skills and voila, we get bigger.

Soon we will be our own voting bloc :)

Vick

cz75bdneos22
December 19, 2005, 11:39 PM
hell, i was a newbie once....:D

Kingcreek
December 19, 2005, 11:56 PM
December is the annual membership drive.
after the intitiation and hazing next month we show them the secret handshake.

yonderway
December 20, 2005, 12:18 AM
On the other hand, the New Orleans gun confiscations may have a number of people thinking about honing some basic self reliant skills and voila, we get bigger.

I think we as a gun community have missed out on a major opportunity here. A lot of dirt poor people felt helpless, and probably were open to the idea of owning a gun. Imagine someone living at or below poverty level going into your average gun shop and seeing pistols that start at $350 and skyrocket from there.

I think there should have been some coordinated effort to introduce them to the wonderful world of milsurp (CCW piece for under $200! semi-auto rifle for under $150 WITH a bayonet!) but I haven't heard of anyone taking up that torch (myself included)

I think a lot of these people are going to go back to living unarmed because they don't understand their rights, and they don't think they can afford to exercise their RKBA.

MatthewVanitas
December 20, 2005, 12:53 AM
I think we as a gun community have missed out on a major opportunity here. A lot of dirt poor people felt helpless, and probably were open to the idea of owning a gun. Imagine someone living at or below poverty level going into your average gun shop and seeing pistols that start at $350 and skyrocket from there.

There are things that could have been done, but it'd be a real sticky issue.

I live in Austin, which had a lot of refugees arrive in recent months. I can't exactly go down to the refugee center downtown and start hawking Hi-Points and Moisins. Aside from the fact that a inter-state FTF would violate Fed law, FEMA would have my hiney in a sling in seconds. They move quick when they need to.

Presumably, the lower-income refugees who settled moved into East Austin. Again, not a bright idea for me to go peddle guns in East Austin. Wouldn't be good PR.

Plenty of refugees from the middle class who would/did have no problem buying a Glock once they realized the big picture, but they're best preached to by the Texan friends they temporarily moved in with.

Long/short: even Katrina aside, there would be upsides to helping the lower-income classes with RKBA. However, the PR fallout would be immense ("White Supremacist Gun Nuts Rain Down Lethal Assault Weapons on Oppressed Communities of Color"), and it would be very hard to pull of legally and ethically.

The best bet is still "each one reach one", and if you can branch out and reach one in another economic/ethnic category, so much the better. The more diverse the RKBA movement becomes, the better off all of us are.

-MV (who is a middle-class white veteran, and thus not terribly diverse)

IndianaDean
December 20, 2005, 12:54 AM
I told 2 of my friends about THR and they told 2 of their friends and they told 2 of their friends and so on?

Vick

Ah, the pyramid scheme! Do we get paid if we get others to join, and so forth? :evil:

Old Dog
December 20, 2005, 01:04 AM
Judging by some of the more wacky posts lately by our most recent members ... I'd say that the kiddies are definitely on winter break ...

.50DE
December 20, 2005, 01:11 AM
joined from a link, by a member on Performance Years Pontiac forums.
:)

MatthewVanitas
December 20, 2005, 01:15 AM
Welcome aboard! Let us know if there's anything you need answered.

Check out the Rallying Point forum, we've got a lot of folks organizing local shoots after the holidays. If you're in Austin, definitely check out our January shoot.

-MV

yonderway
December 20, 2005, 01:38 AM
Just a passing observation: it seems that our flow of newbies has dramatically increased in the last month. Anybody else noticed?

Definitely a good thing, just not sure how it started all of a sudden.

In my case, I just noticed that THR forum posts seemed to come up prominently in a lot of my Google searches. Figured I must be missing out on something so I registered tonight to see what it was all about. Still trying to figure it out.

Can'thavenuthingood
December 20, 2005, 02:01 AM
Read the rules and be nice

You're in for an education and a world of wisdom from the old timers, the mid timers, the lawyers, the police officers, the correction officers, the bureaucrats (Fed-State-local) the plumbers, carpenters, computer geeks (seems to many of them) conservatives, liberals, libertarians and wiccans.

The common thing here is guns. Big guns, little guns, loud guns, silent guns, long and shortguns.

I lurked for about a year and signed up.

Its a hoot.

Vick

Justin
December 20, 2005, 02:18 AM
hell, i was a newbie once....:D

So was I! :eek: :)

Amadeus
December 20, 2005, 02:36 AM
You're in for an education and a world of wisdom from the old timers, the mid timers, the lawyers, the police officers, the correction officers, the bureaucrats (Fed-State-local) the plumbers, carpenters, computer geeks (seems to many of them) conservatives, liberals, libertarians and wiccans.

Don't forget the Writers. :D

Welcome Yonderway.

Janitor
December 20, 2005, 05:23 AM
hell, i was a newbie once..So was I! :eek: :)
Say it aint so!!!

Bruce333
December 20, 2005, 05:24 AM
joined from a link, by a member on Performance Years Pontiac forums.
:)I've got a link posted for THR in my sig on all the car forums I'm on. :) F-Body fan here!

I joined through a link on Oleg's site. I think I found him through a web search, don't remember it was about a year ago. I lurked for a while before joining.

280PLUS
December 20, 2005, 06:43 AM
Don't forget to visit us over at www.armedpolitesociety.com, same people, non gun topics...

:D

Rock45
December 20, 2005, 06:50 AM
Shoot, I'm still a relative newbie as far as posts go, even though not a day goes by that I don't crawl in here and glean a little knowledge!

Have fun and watch your back!

Bryan

:cool:

cosine
December 20, 2005, 09:14 AM
Hey, I joined last week, after lurking here about six months. All of a sudden, one day I thought, "What am I doing just watching, heck, get in on the action!" So I joined. :D

bogie
December 20, 2005, 09:18 AM
Don't forget - there's also an election ramping up, and it's time to convince gun people to either stay home or that Hillary's a duck hunter...

Anonymous
December 20, 2005, 09:35 AM
Well actually, a long time learning lurker. :)

Gimme.50
December 20, 2005, 10:05 AM

I'm a Newbie, and the reason I joined is that I heard this was actually a secret faction of the Skulls and Bones. Since I can't afford to go to Yale, I figured this would be the best place to start my campaign to be President and Supreme Ruler of the Galaxy.:evil: Of course I'd settle for Mayor. BTW...I also notice a lot of Newbies from NC showing up...so greetings to my "homeboys" (I think I used that right)!!

Skeptic
December 20, 2005, 11:14 AM
Dont remember how I found this place, but I lurked here for a few months and then decided to sign up just in case I had something to contribute.

I learn something new here everyday just by reading and "listening".

yonderway
December 20, 2005, 11:18 AM
BTW...I also notice a lot of Newbies from NC showing up...so greetings to my "homeboys" (I think I used that right)!!

This is a good thing. I'm moving (back) down to your neck of the woods soon. Will be up in Person County.

Thefabulousfink
December 20, 2005, 11:36 AM
I'm a newbie and proud of it, and I guess you could call me a kid but I quickly leaving that catagory (fresh out of college last may and starting Grad school in a couple months). I joined this forum because It seemed like the members had a wealth of experience and its not dominated by Colt vs Glock or AK vs AR threads.

SDiver40
December 20, 2005, 11:40 AM
Well I'll admit it. I'm one of the new guys. Been lurking for a while now, just didnt have anything to say so kept my mouth shut. :cool:
BUT now i'll say I have enjoyed reading the post and have learned a great deal.
Hope everyone has a great Christmas and a safe New Years.

Backfired
December 20, 2005, 01:22 PM
Yup. I found the link on Google only a month ago and then lurked a couple of weeks before grabbing a cheek in each hand and jumping in. The waters ffffffffffiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnne.

Tomcat1066
December 20, 2005, 01:58 PM
I've only been here for a couple weeks, but been a gun person for A LOT longer than that :D

Tom

MedGrl
December 20, 2005, 01:59 PM

Sounds fun...i can't wait :D

I don't know about all the other new people but I just got lucky and became friends with "only1asterisk" baout 3 weeks ago.

Lt. Commander
December 20, 2005, 02:03 PM
I'm new here too, Glock Talk has been getting bad again and I had enough, time to move on in life..... :D

Scott

f4t9r
December 20, 2005, 03:16 PM
The more the Merrier

1 old 0311
December 20, 2005, 04:13 PM
Too cold to shoot outside, and too old to chase floozies?:neener: :neener:

Kevin

Black Majik
December 20, 2005, 04:18 PM
Welcome to anyone new here, and any lurkers, feel free to post to say hello!

Lebben-B
December 20, 2005, 04:41 PM

As long as the hazing doesn't involve motor oil, cattle prods/tasers and farm animals, I'm okay with it.

Mike

JohnBT
December 20, 2005, 04:47 PM
No, we just give you a rag, a container of brass polish, and a month's worth of used Wolf 9mm to shine up. :)

John

Black Majik
December 20, 2005, 04:50 PM
No, we just give you a rag, a container of brass polish, and a month's worth of used Wolf 9mm to shine up. :)

John

Whew... I'm glad someone forgot to give me the hazing... :D

usp9
December 20, 2005, 04:52 PM
Came here from a mouseguns.com link. Seems one of the more active forums I've come across.

Mnemesyne
December 20, 2005, 05:08 PM
I was surfing the net looking for camping gear and stumbled across a link to THR :-) Been here ever since hehe...Welcome to all the new folks!

Mneme

Steve499
December 20, 2005, 05:18 PM
Well, as long as the initiation doesn't include a polygraph, I should be O.K.

Steve

jer1949
December 20, 2005, 05:59 PM
Although I have just started posting, I have been a visitor for quite some time. I think I originally wandered in here from a 1911 forum. I have gathered a tremendous amount of useful information by just listening but I've also felt the molten level heat from some very politically, passonate members.

Overall I rate this site as A+. I offer a toast to the originator and a big "WHO-RAH!" to some very patient moderators.

Checkman
December 20, 2005, 06:10 PM
I discovered this site a few years ago when I was doing a search for information on Model 28 Highway Patrolmen and the Winchester Model 1897 shotgun. I was led here and joined after a couple days of lurking. It's a fun site. You can learn much or just have a good old time flaming people and being flamed in return. Seriously my firearms knowledge has experienced a huge jump since I joined.

R.W.Dale
December 20, 2005, 06:34 PM
LOL I'm ready when does season start? OH! Wait I'm still a newbie.

http://stud.ntnu.no/~terjehoa/pics/pics_forum/catchsomenewbies.jpg

walking arsenal
December 20, 2005, 08:50 PM
It's not hard to see why we have a lot of new people sigining on.

For starters you can't do a search on anything firearms related without getting a THR hit or 20.

We're also one of the most civil online communities out there.

engineer151515
December 20, 2005, 09:26 PM
I can hang out here during the day because the company filters don't block THR because of "weapons" content. Most others I try get blocked.

yonderway
December 20, 2005, 10:21 PM
I can hang out here during the day because the company filters don't block THR because of "weapons" content. Most others I try get blocked.

You need to install PuTTY on your work computer, Linux at home (with "squid" on it), and learn about the wonderful world of ssh and port forwarding.

For many years I've been able to surf from work, and run AIM, without my employers having a clue about what web sites I was going to.

springmom
December 20, 2005, 10:22 PM

John

Not in my Bersa, no sir! It would TAKE a month. :banghead:

I'm new to this forum, having been referred by a very nice fellow hunter on another forum that shall remain nameless. I look forward to visiting some old friends over here and learning more about our common source of enjoyment and empty wallets. ;)

Springmom

GoRon
December 20, 2005, 10:31 PM
Noticed a lot of new names myself.

Welcome to all of ya's !!

I lurked for a long time before I started posting.

In hind sight I wish I would have started participating sooner. If you are a member throw your 2 cents in!!

mbs357
December 20, 2005, 11:07 PM
Heh.
I've never been a noob.
*cool guy pose*

(Seriously, I lurk for a month or so, and just start posting in topics...I never introduce myself...I blend in instantly. *ninja pose*)

cosine
December 20, 2005, 11:20 PM
Not in my Bersa, no sir! It would TAKE a month. :banghead:

I'm new to this forum, having been referred by a very nice fellow hunter on another forum that shall remain nameless. I look forward to visiting some old friends over here and learning more about our common source of enjoyment and empty wallets. ;)

Springmom

Hi to all newbies! I'm one myself, but hope I won't invoke too much wrath by welcoming other newbies.

springmom, it's good to see you join THR! I really enjoy reading your posts when I lurk at TFL.

Gimme.50
December 20, 2005, 11:40 PM
This is a good thing. I'm moving (back) down to your neck of the woods soon. Will be up in Person County.

Come on down! We'll cram the place full of gunners, force out the liberals, then dare the Brady camp, PeTA, or any other gun-grabbing-group to show up here! Plus the weather is better...

xring44
December 21, 2005, 08:51 AM
Yet Another New one!

New to the board,,but unfortunatly, old to the world:) A friend sent me the link to this site, I scanned, enjoyed, signed up, My world revolves around shooting/hunting,,,looks like I will be in good company. To whomever xring is, my appoliges for the simularitys in username, I've used this handle for some time on another forum and found it hard to come up with another.

I shoot mainly revolvers, and turn bolts, but am not above a day of .45 ACP 1911 style shooting.

I'm pleased to have found this site, and hope that down the road yall will be pleased that I found it as well..

cz75bdneos22
December 22, 2005, 12:15 AM

Why not December? What a better way to celebrate in the spirit of Christmas...By beginning the rest of your "new" life and a New Year as a contributing member to the finest online brotherhood of passionate firearms loving people i know of...join us by swimming in the pool of vast knowdlege that is the THR community. I am honored to have become a participating member, not just a lurker...I am here to learn too and boy! have i learned a thing or two...come on in the water's fine...doing a backstroke..looking for more newbies with goggles on..:p Best to ask yourself, what took me so long to jump in?

Arethusa
December 22, 2005, 12:25 AM
I'm new, and I know as much about guns as one possibly can!

Yeah, I've never touched a gun in my life.

Demariana
December 22, 2005, 09:31 AM
First time poster. :)

A friend took me shooting for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I realized I wanted more knowledge about the subject. He sent me this group and I lurked for a couple of weeks, and finally joined yesterday. *waves* So far I have only gotten to shoot 9mm, but today I plan to try a .22 semi-auto and a .357 revolver.

Denise/Demariana

Big_Willy
December 24, 2005, 04:30 PM

Definitely a good thing, just not sure how it started all of a sudden. They can't all be kids on Christmas Break.

-MV

I found this site while undergoing a Google search for some AK-47 info, soon after I found this wonderful site I joined and posted a question.

Thanks for such a wonderful Forum.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it".
Confucius

Lebben-B
December 24, 2005, 10:08 PM
Arethusa, Demariana, and Big Willy

Welcome to the high road. In my short time here, I've found a lot of great people here. Thanks for joining.

Oh, and Arethusa, I like your sig line. Nietzche, I believe.

Mike

The_Antibubba
December 25, 2005, 12:06 AM
It's like a regular handshake, but we make sure to keep the index finger straight so it isn't anywhere near the trigger until you're ready to fire!!!

Kinda the opposite of the "refined tea-drinker pinky thing". :D

Welcome to one of the most civilized places in cyberspace!!

And (I can't believe no one has said it in 56 posts) [i]NEW GUY BUYS THE BEER!!!!

depicts
December 25, 2005, 01:03 AM
Yonderway, if you're new, how come it says you're a senior member, and have posted 129 times in a day?

I mean I want to be a senior member too, but not in a day.....how may posts will you have to write to be a plank owner? BTW, what's a plank?:evil:

Mtnvalley
December 25, 2005, 01:41 AM
We're also one of the most civil online communities out there.
Bingo! I'm a newbie myself (I've only been shooting for 3 months, but jumped into it with both feet)... and find THR to be as supportive as it is informative.

I wish I could say the same for another popular board for those who, um, pack...but their post rating system enables a few cranks to suppress public view of posts-- no matter how thoughtfully-written and respectfully-presented-- containing any view that they might not agree with.

I spent about a half-hour composing a post (seeking opinions on the need for higher standards in CCW training/testing), and wondered why I couldn't view it when I logged back in...even though the responses to it were visible. I finally figured out that I had to lower my viewing threshhold to include "offensive posts", and then click a dialogue box asking if I was "sure that I want to view posts including BAD CONTENT?".

I daresay such an approach isn't likely to foster newbies' confidence and get 'em involved. And, at some future point, today's newbies might actually offer some info of value or interest to the old guard.

Hence- one might consider that any influx of us new folk here might just well be because of the civility and respectfully-shared info/opinions. While not quite tantamount to "eating their young", I'd think that discouraging those new to the hobby/avocation from getting involved in discussions isn't exactly constructive.

My thanks to the many thoughtful and wise posters here who may remember that they didn't come out of the womb with a 1911 in their hand and a 2A bumper sticker on their butt. :)

Waitone
December 25, 2005, 02:00 AM
Three pages and none of the grey hairs have informed the noobies of our tradition.

Noobies buy the ammo. Yep! I'll take mine in 200 grain .45 ACP and .38 spl (your choice). Please stack it to the right my monitor. I accept full boxes only. :D It would be cruel for me to force you to pay for the ammo used in my BAR. :evil:

Lebben-B
December 25, 2005, 11:27 AM
Sorry, all I got on hand right now is 5.56, 7.62 and 9mm. Also got a fair amount of beat up 7.62x39. But Mother Green kinda frowns on us taking it home...something about hand receipts and fraud, waste and abuse.

Mike

Mtnvalley
December 25, 2005, 11:39 AM
Three pages and none of the grey hairs have informed the noobies of our tradition.

Noobies buy the ammo.

Now, I thought that in most sports, the rookies have to carry the veterans' luggage and gear.

Therefore, I'll volunteer to carry your gun(s) for ya...then excitedly announce "Hey, look over there! It's Elvis!", and hope that you run slower than I do. :p

On second thought, this is a bad idea. I'm sure many here carry BUGs, and I've been known to lose a footrace to a small tree...;)

cliffstanc
December 25, 2005, 11:53 PM
(re: another gun site's board}
{...}and then click a dialogue box asking if I was "sure that I want to view posts including BAD CONTENT?".

You forgot to mention that you had to click that box every. single. TIME. you went to a new thread.

"Oh gosh, it's been a whole 10 seconds since I said I wanted to view those kind of posts! Good thing you asked me again - I might have changed my mind since then!"

Of course, maybe it's still better than the old way there, where I found that if I ran a search 80% of the posts that came up were "deleted" - but you couldn't tell until you clicked on them. I say "deleted" because you'd think that if a post was really deleted it wouldn't, you know, show up anymore.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this place! I know it's damning with faint praise but this is the best gun board I've seen in my years of wasting time^W^W serious study on the internet.

- Cliff

If you enjoyed reading about "Are we getting lots more newbies than usual this month?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!