Best bullet for a strange twist

PDA

Rem700SD
December 20, 2005, 02:41 AM
I've got a .300 Win Mag with a 1 in 8 twist (don't ask me how). Any advice on what the best bullet(wt/brand) for this thing would be? This is for targets, not field loads.
thanks in advance,
Dan

If you enjoyed reading about "Best bullet for a strange twist" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
esheato
December 20, 2005, 03:16 AM
The heavier the better. I would start out with something around 180 and work up from there. Recoil won't be fun, but what can ya do? I prefer Sierra bullets, but any of the big manufacturers will work.

Best of luck.

Ed

Delmar
December 20, 2005, 03:31 AM
I would be looking at 200-220 grain minimum. Sound like enough twist to stabilize the 250 grain Sierra HPBT match bullets

redneck2
December 20, 2005, 07:23 AM
if you don't have a muzzle brake, that would be the first place to start

some of the web sites have twist rate calculators. Sometimes the bullet companies suggest optimum twist.

I'd start with SMK's, and/or the heaviest A-Max I could get. That twist is gonna spin a real heavy bullet. I would suspect it was set up for long range target.

also http://www.centerfirecentral.com/

rbernie
December 20, 2005, 04:57 PM
Remember - twist rate requirements are really driven by bullet length, not weight. You now have the opportunity to try some really fun low-drag or non-lead-based bullets (Barnes, etc.) that otherwise may not have stabilized properly in a 1:10" barrel.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best bullet for a strange twist" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!