Not profound but not inaccurate, either

PDA

Oleg Volk
December 20, 2005, 06:52 AM
http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/albums/arms/before1934_7305.sized.jpg

(Hmmm...this Vickers type probably postdates 1934)

If you enjoyed reading about "Not profound but not inaccurate, either" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tomcat1066
December 20, 2005, 07:07 AM
I'd say it was kind of profound ;)

Tom

Don't Tread On Me
December 20, 2005, 07:42 AM
Oleg, I am a big fan of your posters. You are truly a master. Not only are the posters great, but the ideas are expressed from the correct angle (the pro-military weapons, anti-JBT angle.)

May I offer a suggestion? If this poster is to be more effective to folks who aren't into the "gun culture", it would probably be more effective if it were a photo of a Thompson. After all, more civvies owned those than belt-fed machine guns. Also, people recognize the Thompson more. A big machine gun like that is more of a weapon of war that most non-firearm people would think of as absurd to even suggest ownership of. I know that's kind of the point, to provoke the thought that it is OK to own such things. But there are some anti's in my family, and a mere glance at that poster will have them just go "uhhhggg" and not pay much attention to the message because they will just consider the whole thing absurd. They aren't as far along in the understanding process as folks like you and I are, so images that are way too strong can be a turn off. I think changing the firearm in the photo will hold these types of people's attention just long enough to get the message without them jumping to instant criticism. These folks (I know from personal experience) can tend to be real A.D.D. when it comes to thinking about gun issues...You wouldn't want anti's getting distracted by the "mail order" statement you're cramming in there. MANY anti's associate mail order with Lee H. Oswald.

Also, a change from child to "teenager" might be better. A child isn't likely to wield a machinegun, but a teenager can. Teenager is more associated with Columbine. It is easier to visualize. And this creates less suspension of disbelief.

Just some thoughts. I like it as is, but I am a gun nut. I think it might be too hard core for anti's or fence riders.

Janitor
December 20, 2005, 07:44 AM
I think it's a good one Oleg.

Somebody needs to make people think - to try and understand what's changed. Hopefully, they'll come to understand that it's not about the guns. It never has been.

Plus it's a cool MG. :)

grimlock
December 20, 2005, 08:25 AM
I think "school shooting" should be changed to "school shootings"

hso
December 20, 2005, 09:41 AM
Thompson or BAR would be better.

bogie
December 20, 2005, 10:15 AM
Oleg, I'd never dis on your photos...

You shouldn't use this image here. Hit the library, and hunt down an advertisement for a tommy gun. Then, dummy up a magazine, and show a kid paging through it with some period stuff around him (maybe an old camera?) with that ad showing.

Live Free Or Die
December 20, 2005, 10:20 AM
I really enjoy these posters, and I appreciate the time and effort Oleg spends making them.

I'm not sure the message gets through with this one though. An anti -- or possibly even a sane person -- might think:

"Ok, all sorts of guns used to be widely available, even to children. Zero school shootings. These days, guns are apparently far less accessible, yet we seem to get a nasty school shooting every year or two. Obviously something has changed in our culture that has resulted in more violent children. It seems clear to me that today's children aren't responsible enough to trust with guns, so we must do everything we can to keep kids away from guns -- else another Columbine is just around the corner. Come to think of it, the same might be said about adults today versus 1934 -- so we should probably increase restrictions on their ability to have guns as well. Especially machine guns!"

robert garner
December 20, 2005, 10:28 AM
no astonished me;'
Is How Oleg "gets It"
I am working on an "ex" subject of the Queen , who at least is willing to learn.
Not only does Oleg appreciate 'freedoms teeth' but their intended use within our society,thus why they are indespensible to the Republic.
He is in fact a true American and a better one than many born here.
I am ready to send him a pair of overalls, a Confederate Naval Jack and call him Bubba!
Good Work Oleg,and thanks for this site.
Merry Christmas
robert garner
p.s. I would go with a Thompson and a 32 Ford!

Preacherman
December 20, 2005, 10:57 AM
I am ready to send him a pair of overalls, a Confederate Naval Jack and call him Bubba!

I want to be there to photograph him wearing them! :D

Oleg Volk
December 20, 2005, 01:24 PM
I am thinking more along the lines of a white Stetson and two Navy Colts.

For the poster, I'll take new photos with an actual teenager holding a silenced Thompson....but that has to wait till I can do so. The ad idea is good, does anyone have a high-res magazine ad?

I agree with some of the working changes.

Taurus 617 CCW
December 20, 2005, 01:51 PM
I love the photo and the message.

Henry Bowman
December 20, 2005, 02:08 PM
+1 on: He is in fact a true American and a better one than many born here. and I am thinking more along the lines of a white Stetson and two Navy Colts.:cool:

kentucky_smith
December 20, 2005, 02:13 PM
Can you prove there were no school shootings before 1934? I think you'd be surprised. Center for School Safety says number of shootings has not gone up, only media coverage since 1950s. LEast, that's what they told me in grad school. :confused:

yonderway
December 20, 2005, 02:19 PM
At my last job I would post Oleg's posters in my cubical. Just one at a time. Change them out every week. Of course there was work related stuff hanging in there too, and pictures of my wife & kids. But there would always be a bit of pro-gun propaganda hanging next to a perforated target bearing Osama bin Laden's photograph.

It may have had something to do with my job description being changed to something well outside of my experience & training, followed quickly by a layoff for "not having the skills appropriate for my job description".

f4t9r
December 20, 2005, 04:18 PM
I think "school shooting" should be changed to "school shootings"

I agree
Very nice poster

Third_Rail
December 20, 2005, 04:39 PM
kentucky_smith, you're correct.There are actually a few on record before 1934.

Most famous being this (http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/history/bath/index_1.html).

Oleg Volk
December 20, 2005, 09:13 PM
Dynamite by an outside,not shooting by a student.

kentucky_smith
December 20, 2005, 10:42 PM
I admire what you're doing, but it's not accurate. Reads just like so much overbearing propaganda.

Oleg Volk
December 20, 2005, 10:44 PM
I'll reflect on all the comments and edit it for accuracy and effect. Thanks, all!

kentucky_smith
December 20, 2005, 10:55 PM
Maybe as a school professional I'm just touchy about school safety and phantom epidemics. Nothing personal.

http://www.educationnext.org/20022/50.html

entropy
December 21, 2005, 12:16 PM
kentucky smith, consider your info source; grad school.;)

I'd be willing to bet any school shootings done by students prior to 1934 weren't done with belt-fed Vickers, BARs or Thompsons. More likely S&W top-breaks or M&P's, maybe a Colt Pol. Pos. or M1911 for pistols, and H&R single shotguns and Win 94's for rifles. And I'll bet they were directed at one person for a specific reason, not 'to be famous' and all the other sociopathic reasons cited recently.

Good poster idea, Oleg! I agree with the others as far as maybe a Thompson, and "shootings" instead of "shooting", but you're right on target with the message!:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Not profound but not inaccurate, either" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!