Shotgun reloading

PDA

redneck2
December 20, 2005, 07:57 PM
been here for a long time. Tons of threads on pistol, rifle. Can't remember the last one on shotgun. Time to plow new ground

I'm in the process of getting a 10 gauge. Ammo is painfully expensive and rare.

I have the opportunity to get an almost new MEC for about 1/2 of normal price.

So......what do I need to know...

any type of hulls better than another?? any special tips, tricks, or techniques?

anything to know or know to stay away from would be appreciated

I do know that you HAVE to stay with a given load combination of primer/powder/hull/wad with no variation. Other than that, I'm a newbie

If you enjoyed reading about "Shotgun reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HSMITH
December 20, 2005, 08:30 PM
Look up Ballistic Specialties and get a catalog. They carry more 10ga stuff than everyone else put together, and they have a good tech line.

facedown
December 20, 2005, 11:11 PM
I do know that you HAVE to stay with a given load combination of primer/powder/hull/wad with no variation.

Absolutely correct, but you can always use less powder than the recipe. Sometimes your powder bushing choices will throw a bit more, or a bit less than called for. Resist the temptation to load "just a little over". ALWAYS use the lower one.

"Regular" shells, i.e. using shot, are pretty easy with a little practice. Buckshot defense loads are a sonofagun to crimp smoothly. Sometimes placing a card over the top of the shot stack helps.

Good luck!

If you enjoyed reading about "Shotgun reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!