How in the world did THIS happen?

PDA

TheArchDuke
December 21, 2005, 02:07 AM
I was out in Jacumba with my brother (Dasmi) when something strange happened to his gun...

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1049/image0291qw.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "How in the world did THIS happen?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Third_Rail
December 21, 2005, 02:10 AM
The empty in the chamber didn't get extracted, then the bolt tried to feed a new round. I've seen it happen before - mainly to guns with dirty chambers/extractors.

TheArchDuke
December 21, 2005, 02:15 AM
The empty in the chamber didn't get extracted, then the bolt tried to feed a new round. I've seen it happen before - mainly to guns with dirty chambers/extractors.
Yeah but there's THREE rounds in there...not two.

pax
December 21, 2005, 02:22 AM
... and two of them look to be a different caliber than the other one.

Did you, by any chance, post this to give your brother a hard time?
:uhoh:

:)

pax

TheArchDuke
December 21, 2005, 02:28 AM
... and two of them look to be a different caliber than the other one.

Did you, by any chance, post this to give your brother a hard time?
:uhoh:

:)

pax

Haha no they're all .22...and he was more astonished than I was

Third_Rail
December 21, 2005, 02:31 AM
One in the mag, one in the chamber, one in the works. Two loose, one still in the mag.

A fairly common failure, if I'm seeing it right.

TheArchDuke
December 21, 2005, 02:41 AM
One in the mag, one in the chamber, one in the works. Two loose, one still in the mag.

A fairly common failure, if I'm seeing it right.

The one nearest to the mag is also loose though. Here's what happened. Gun fired, Shell extracted but bolt didn't close, Dasmi looked, three live rounds loose in the chamber, weird.

I should have explained it better earlier.

joab
December 21, 2005, 02:49 AM
I saw that once on a friends Ruger.
The lips on his plastic hi-cap mag crapped out and sent too many rounds throught he top and into the void

Cosmoline
December 21, 2005, 02:55 AM
I suspect the downward pressure of the round still in the pipe forced the rim of the fresh round down into the magazine, which then pressed a third round part way out.

Lennyjoe
December 21, 2005, 09:03 AM
My 10-22 would do that with Federal bulk ammo. Since I changed to CCI it doesn't do that anymore.

NavyLCDR
December 21, 2005, 09:14 AM
Probably the top "lips" as someone said of the magazine might be spread a bit too much allowing the magazine spring to push the rounds past them. Had an interesting problem on a Stevens 87D - sometimes the rounds would pour out the feed tube right past the underside of the feed lever into the stock. There is a tang on the end of the trigger assembly that the end of the feed lever rests upon when the bolt is open. Over the years that tang got bent out a bit too far and that allowed the other end of the feed lever to move too far into the chamber, which left the end of the feed tube wide open for the magazine spring to push all the rounds over the backside of the feed lever dropping them into a loose pile in the stock. I pushed that tang down a bit and problem solved - I check it now every time I clean the rifle.

RavenVT100
December 21, 2005, 09:42 AM
FTE.

Drop the mag, let the loose round fall out on its own. Then manually extract the casing. Check your extractor. This shouldn't be happening.

thumbody
December 21, 2005, 11:33 AM
I had the same problem with some PMC ammo in my 10-22 about 15 yrs ago. For some reason the gun failed to eject 2-3 rounds of that crap every 10 round magazine. I traded the PMC for Remington ammo and haven't had any more problems.It seemed there was a lot of oil on the outside of those cartridges.

slopemeno
December 21, 2005, 11:34 AM
We used to call that a "Poor-boy" jam.

hksw
December 21, 2005, 12:21 PM
Maybe the rounds were so happy and eager to take a trip down the barrel that they three-stooged the chamber. "Spread out!"

If you enjoyed reading about "How in the world did THIS happen?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!