most realistic war movies(dialogue, combat cinematography etc.)

PDA

carlrodd
December 21, 2005, 03:25 PM
i just watched "stalingrad". got rave reviews online for it's grittiness, authenticity, lack of preachiness etc. not too impressed though. once you've been in the military it's harder to be entertained by war movies....i think. so here are my best and worst(if you respond, would love to hear your reasoning for your choices):

best: platoon- spacey, dramatic, weed-induced narration dialogue by oliver stone, but the dialogue between soldiers is so spot on and not forced. the arguments, the BS talk, the conflicts between s..t bags and squared away guys, the complete lack of preaching and soapboxing and being curiously aware of the future historical significance of their current actions(i.e saving ryan's privates). just a golden film.....stone was in the infantry in 68 or 69. the combat is exceptionally well done and believable. the only thing separating it from the combat scenes in S.P.R. is sound editing. very genuinely emotional too.

worst: since i never saw windtalkers, i'll have to say tears of the sun with bruce willis. overblown, unbelievable, uninteresting story. totally unresearched, retarded dialogue. boring combat sequences. no effort for authenticity. boring characters. failed drama. bad score. whoever produced it should be ashamed.

if not for the unbearable dialogue, S.P.R would be well up there. Band of Brothers is nearly flawless. And worst performance EVER in a war film goes to John Travolta in The Thin Red Line....he's the worst. sorry if this thread doesn't belong in general, but it seemed fun and i wouldn't know where else to put it.

If you enjoyed reading about "most realistic war movies(dialogue, combat cinematography etc.)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
yonderway
December 21, 2005, 04:01 PM
I just hope we get a few more good WW2 movies done while some of the vets are still around to act as consultants in the filming process.

And in the current political landscape, young'uns like me would love to see some films about the Korean war to help put some perspective on how we got to where we are with them. I think your average American 20-something to 30-something probably doesn't even know we had a Korean war. :(

coinshooter
December 21, 2005, 04:09 PM
We were soldiers is a very good movie well done.

Biker
December 21, 2005, 04:16 PM
Saving Private Ryan trancends time. It captured what war...*is*.
Biker

Arethusa
December 21, 2005, 04:20 PM
I just hope we get a few more good WW2 movies done while some of the vets are still around to act as consultants in the filming process.

And in the current political landscape, young'uns like me would love to see some films about the Korean war to help put some perspective on how we got to where we are with them. I think your average American 20-something to 30-something probably doesn't even know we had a Korean war. :(
Well, that is why it's known as the forgotten war, sad as that is.

As for WW2 movies, there is Inglorious Bastards. Might end up being the best WW2 film made so far.

For more contemporary war movies, there is Black Hawk Down, though there are a few glaring inaccuracies and a lot of compression from what Bowden documented in his book. On the opposite side, there's Jarhead, with absolutely no combat. Both are excellent, though Jarhead's a fair bit more intelligent.

rustymaggot
December 21, 2005, 04:21 PM
'84 charlie mopic' been called the most accurate, well done vietnam movie ever. done in same style as blaire witch project. combat cinematographer goes out with a squad into the bush and films them.

i hear it was filmed in california, but its pretty real looking. ive never been in a war so i cant make the call on realism, but the movie maintained the suspension of disbelief. few pioints in the film you might forgot that it wasnt a real combat documentary.

Nathanael_Greene
December 21, 2005, 04:21 PM

I second that. "The Bridges at Toko-Ri" is probably the best Korean War movie, but it's fiction. (Great production, though.)

And way too many people got their only exposure to the Korean War via M*A*S*H, and half of them probably think that movie/TV show is about Vietnam.

carlrodd
December 21, 2005, 04:56 PM
I second that. "The Bridges at Toko-Ri" is probably the best Korean War movie, but it's fiction. (Great production, though.)

And way too many people got their only exposure to the Korean War via M*A*S*H, and half of them probably think that movie/TV show is about Vietnam.

mash is a great war film....never mind the series. there are a couple of excellent one volume treatments of the korean war. the one i read was written in the sixties, pre heavy vietnam....VERY interesting perspectives considering what was about to hit. i believe it was called "this kind of war". huge book, jammed with great history, and a quick read.

Hkmp5sd
December 21, 2005, 05:03 PM
Siege at Firebase Gloria

Das Boot

Ike: Countdown to D-Day

Lupinus
December 21, 2005, 05:19 PM
saving private ryan, and while not really a movie band of brothers on hbo was really well done also.

Sry0fcr
December 21, 2005, 05:31 PM
Siege at Firebase Gloria

I loved this movie as a kid.

GlenJ
December 21, 2005, 06:09 PM
Full Metal Jacket

KriegHund
December 21, 2005, 06:17 PM
Always liked the acting in BlackHawk Down.

Stalingrad was good, not great, i always find subtitles better than voice overs.

Nathanael_Greene
December 21, 2005, 06:19 PM
mash is a great war film....never mind the series. there are a couple of excellent one volume treatments of the korean war. the one i read was written in the sixties, pre heavy vietnam....VERY interesting perspectives considering what was about to hit. i believe it was called "this kind of war". huge book, jammed with great history, and a quick read.

One of the most interesting Korean War histories I've read (and I've read a bunch) is the US Army's medical history of the war; really a terrific read. (I can't put my hands on it right this second, but it's buried in my library someplace.)

Another good one is TR Fehrenbach's history of the war; it's quite forcefully told. Matt Ridgway's book is also worth a read.

MDG1976
December 21, 2005, 06:35 PM
Band of Brothers.

yonderway
December 21, 2005, 06:44 PM
It would be interesting to not only have films about the Korean War, but also other wars that are no longer part of the American consciousness.

You'd have to think that a movie about the War of 1812 would make a huge statement to moviegoers. How many sheeple know about the "scouring of Washington, D.C."? That would make a huge statement to moviegoers, and probably generate a lot more interest in what other parts of U.S. history they don't want to teach you in the public schools.

KriegHund
December 21, 2005, 06:48 PM
War of 1812 wouldnt be PC :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I would like to see more movies about WW1. Lost battalion is a good one.

Personally, i think that alot of war movies are better with lesser known actors.

When i see someone i always see in other movies in a war movie, it doesnt have the same heart to it, seems like.

Oh, and saints and soldiers was good.

jeff-10
December 21, 2005, 06:54 PM
'84 charlie mopic' been called the most accurate, well done vietnam movie ever.

Yah its well known by people who have been in the army but I don't think many people who weren't have seen it. I liked Band of Brothers, it showed how a company functioned over a longer period than just one or two battles.

Old Dog
December 21, 2005, 06:55 PM
One of my favorites is "Glory," the Civil War flick. Matthew Broderick, Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, Cary Elwes, etc. Really brings home the point about how warfare back then was up-close-and-personal ... soldiers really had to have cojones of steel back then ...

Lebben-B
December 21, 2005, 07:00 PM
"Stalingrad" was good. "Cross of Iron" was better. One of James Coburn's best performances.

By the way, is "84 Charlie MoPic" out on DVD? Once upon a time I had it in VHS but lost it a couple of PCS' ago.

Mike

DMK
December 21, 2005, 07:10 PM
And way too many people got their only exposure to the Korean War via M*A*S*H, and half of them probably think that movie/TV show is about Vietnam.Actually, M*A*S*H was about the war in Vietnam. They were originally going to make the movie take place in SEA, but since it decidedly has an anti-war message, the producers decided that they didn't want to be that open about it being specifically against the war in Vietnam which was still going on, so they changed it to take place in Korea and made it a commentary against war in general (which was probably a very good decision considering it's long popularity in the mainstream public). If you watch it carefully, you can see many thinly veiled references to the Vietnam war.

Cousin Mike
December 21, 2005, 07:17 PM
Saving Private Ryan was excellent IMO. It changed the way war movies will be filmed forever.
Band of Brothers was equally good.
Glory was also excellent, so was Braveheart in the same aspect mentioned previously (soldiers with cojones of steel, fighting a completely different kind of war). I also enjoyed The Patriot.

Hmmm. Let's see... I liked Behind Enemy Lines.
Hamburger Hill too. Full Metal Jacket was awesome. Tears of the Sun was okay. Windtalkers started off so terribly I never finished the movie.

My uncle did 2 tours in Vietnam, he hates Platoon. He says it's unrealistic. I've never been to war, but I also didn't really care for Platoon that much.

Anyone know the name of that series that came on in the 80's about the Vietnam war?

Preacherman
December 21, 2005, 07:20 PM
I'm surprised no-one's yet mentioned Gettysburg. For an historically accurate, outstandingly produced war film, I don't know that this one's ever been beaten. I loathe Ted Turner's politics and social views, but I'll forgive him a lot for financing this film!

CentralTexas
December 21, 2005, 07:42 PM
Catch 22
Bravo Two Zero
The Beast
Platoon

Dave Markowitz
December 21, 2005, 07:45 PM
Talvisota (The Winter War) is an excellent war movie from Finland about a war most Americans have never heard of.

dfariswheel
December 21, 2005, 07:47 PM
"Twelve O'Clock High".
"Battleground".
"They Were Expendable".
"Pork chop Hill".
"Bataan".
"All Quiet On The Western Front" (The first one).
"D-Day".
"The Longest Day".
"Eight Iron Men".

TexasRifleman
December 21, 2005, 07:56 PM
Depends on what you mean by "realistic"..

Saving Private Ryan is realistic, but not accurate. There are tons of mistakes regarding equipment, places, etc but the depiction of war itself is pretty close.

Band of Brothers is much closer in accuracy of dialogue, equipment, etc but nothing shows the horror of war more, in my mind, than the D Day landing sequence of SPR.

These are both at the top of the list. Although Band of Brothers is not a 2 hour movie per se, it's one of the finest war pieces ever put together.

It's Saving Private Ryan with 15 hours to tell the story......

IndianaDean
December 21, 2005, 08:44 PM
I imagine more folks' exposure to the Korean War comes from MASH than anything else.

Gods and Generals, Gettsyburg I thought were very well done.

smokemaker
December 21, 2005, 08:45 PM
Oh, 12 O'clock High is a great one, maybe my favorite movie period.
The Beast (of war)
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan
The D.I.-maybe not a war movie per-se, but a great military flick
Blackhawk Down-though I'll never watch it again. I knew Cliff Wolcott. That movie was really hard to watch.

slopemeno
December 21, 2005, 09:12 PM
Did anyone mention "The Steel helmet"? Sam Fullers korean war movie. Or the "Men of the Fighting Lady". Gotta love those early 50's straight wing jets.

yonderway
December 21, 2005, 09:52 PM
Braveheart in the same aspect mentioned previously (soldiers with cojones of steel, fighting a completely different kind of war).

Braveheart was almost a total work of fiction cloaked in a veil of truth. Yes, William Wallace was a real guy and hero to Scotland. Never wore a kilt. Wasn't even a highlander. Come to think of it, the great kilt didn't even exist in the 13th century.

I also enjoyed The Patriot.

A fictionalized account of the heroics of Francis Marion. Quite good, especially when you know it's a fictional telling of a true war so you can relax a little more and not nitpick as much about character inaccuracies. I wanted to punch a brit after seeing it.

Anyone know the name of that series that came on in the 80's about the Vietnam war?

China Beach?

Lebben-B
December 21, 2005, 09:56 PM
Tour of Duty

Team American
December 21, 2005, 10:07 PM
I enjoyed "The Great Raid".

And Gettysburg would be in my all-time top 3 movies ever if only they had cast Jason Robards in the role of Robert E. Lee.

Crosshair
December 21, 2005, 10:09 PM
+1 on "The Lost Battalion". VERY good movie. I have it recored on my computer somewhere.

M-Rex
December 21, 2005, 11:17 PM
Kelly's Heroes.

spooney
December 22, 2005, 12:33 AM
Dirty Dozen;)

Jeff White
December 22, 2005, 12:39 AM
Lebben-B,
84 Charlie MOPIC is only available on VHS at this time. Amazon.com had it last time I checked.

Another good one is Go Tell the Spartans with Burt Lancaster. Early Vietnam, before the build up. It was just released on DVD a couple of months ago.

Jeff

jwhisler
December 22, 2005, 12:51 AM
Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War

http://imdb.com/title/tt0386064/

Really good movie about two brothers fighting in Korea.

I recommend it, if you can stand watching a movie with subtitles.

swingset
December 22, 2005, 01:04 AM
BOB
SPR
Dark Blue World
Das Boot
Memphis Belle
The Great Raid
Tae Guk Gi
When Trumpets Fade
A Midnight Clear
The Lighthorsemen

james481
December 22, 2005, 01:09 AM
Not sure if it qualifies as a war movie, but The Deer Hunter was a damn good movie... good enough to mention anyways.

LAK
December 22, 2005, 03:38 AM
To date one of my favorites is Zulu.

One of the most dissappointing .... Enemy at the Gates.

Talvisota (The Winter War) is an excellent war movie from Finland about a war most Americans have never heard of.
This one has been on my shopping list for a long time (I know where I can get it, just have to move it to the top of the list sometime!).

Historically speaking most Americans are unaware entirely of what took place in Finland during that time.
--------------------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Cosmoline
December 22, 2005, 04:11 AM
I actually loved "The Thin Red Line." It's many times better than "SPR" on every level. The combat scenes are very realistic, with none of this true blue hero nonsense where the A-List actor charges big-chested into a hail of bullets and wins the day. Those who stand up get nailed by rifle rounds wham bang. No glory at all. The Travolta character is SUPPOSED to be an idiot general who knows how to use bullying and good looks to get ahead. It's a perfect role for him.

"Talivisota" is excellent as well. The idea of facing down charging hordes of Soviets and their tanks with nothing but your rifle is pretty insane, but they pulled it off.

Second "They Were Expendable"--it's a very good WWII film made during the closing months of the war.

cz75bdneos22
December 22, 2005, 04:21 AM
glory
cold mountain
saving PR
k-19 widomaker
gangs of New York
master and commander

RITM
December 22, 2005, 04:24 AM
I wonder why nobody has mentioned Patton yet.

GW
December 22, 2005, 04:47 AM
Saving Private Ryan
Cross of Iron
Kelly's Heroes
Sands of Iwo Jima (Gotta have a John Wayne movie in this list)
In Harm's Way (OK 2 John Waynes)
Hell is for Heroes

Hawken50
December 22, 2005, 05:52 AM
i don't know about realism, but i though A Bridge Too Far was great

C-grunt
December 22, 2005, 06:45 AM
Full Metal Jacket for the seen when theyre in the bunker arguing whether the booms were incomming or outgoing.
We do that ALL THE TIME!!!!

oweno
December 22, 2005, 07:15 AM
As before when this thread pops us, I vote for "Das Boot" but only the director's cut, widescreen version, in German with English subtitles.

And to think that this is a made-for-TV movie....

Pappy John
December 22, 2005, 08:36 AM
Depressing, but Gallipoli.:(

Blackcloud6
December 22, 2005, 09:19 AM

I was working my way through the thread to mention "The Winter War" too. Great film (except for the big gasoline induced artillery barrage at the end).

I am also on who likes "The Thin Red Line." The combat scenses are fantastic, especially the one where the tracers are coming right at you. I like the story too, but it helps to read the book.

Blackhawk Down is excellent.

Don't forget "Pork Chop Hill." Great story of small unit leadership.

Oldtimer
December 22, 2005, 09:21 AM
A bridge too far (long list of big stars)
Battleground (Classic! The way it was!)
The Devil's Brigade (good battle scenes)
Fixed Bayonets (good Korean war movie)
Guadalcanal Diary (realistic, down to the '03's)
The great escape (all-star cast)
The Hunters (Korean fighter jet jockeys)
Heartbreak Ridge (great one-liners)
Hell is for heroes (Classic!)
The longest day (realistic, from both sides)
Objective Burma (Classic!)
Pork Chop Hill (realistic Korean action)
Sahara (original version)(Classic Africa battle)
Sands of Iwo Jima (John Wayne at his best!)
To hell and back (Audie Murphy as himself!)
Windtalkers (good special effects)

Rich K
December 22, 2005, 09:47 AM
All of those mentioned above,and " The 300 Spartans ". The Bridge At Remagen was a good one also.

jason10mm
December 22, 2005, 09:57 AM
"The Great Raid" is up there for me. Not as chest thuimping as some others, but a very effective movie none-the-less. I liked Ang Lee's "Ride with the Devil", showing the often forgotten Civil War west (it didn't all happen in Virginia and Georgia!). Despite having Jewel (though she did a decent job), the rest of the film is outstanding, IMHO.

hso
December 22, 2005, 10:02 AM
Another Russo-Finnish War film is Ambush

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005Y717/002-2495670-1838426?v=glance&n=130

Lambo
December 22, 2005, 10:38 AM
Saving Private Ryan, Band Of Brothers & Enemy At The Gate

jobu07
December 22, 2005, 11:49 AM

I believe you're thinking of "Tour of Duty."

Lambo
December 22, 2005, 12:15 PM
I believe you're thinking of "Tour of Duty."Correct!

Camp David
December 22, 2005, 03:18 PM
I'm surprised no-one's yet mentioned Gettysburg. For an historically accurate, outstandingly produced war film, I don't know that this one's ever been beaten. I loathe Ted Turner's politics and social views, but I'll forgive him a lot for financing this film!

Gods & Generals, in my mind, exceeds Gettysburg in many ways. The last one in the series should start filming in the spring btw...

Lebben-B
December 22, 2005, 03:23 PM
84 Charlie MOPIC is only available on VHS at this time

Jeff,

That's too bad. It's too good of a movie to not be on DVD.

Anybody remember "March or Die" with Gene Hackman?

Two of my favorite genres are westerns and war movies. "Roughriders" is both all rolled into one.

Mike

ebd10
December 22, 2005, 03:36 PM
You all need to check out an HBO original movie called "When The Trumpets Fade" A gritty, realistic, portrayal of a desperate man who just wants to survive.

shield20
December 22, 2005, 03:45 PM
I saw it mentioned once above, so i will chime in too with We Were Soldiers. Just watched it again last night and it is still one of the better movies IMO.

I also like Hamburger Hill - will dig that out once in a while, along with most of the other ones mentioned.

Pilot
December 22, 2005, 03:50 PM

It was about Vietnam. The Korean War was used as a metaphor for Vietnam and Allan Alda's far left activism. Notice how everyone in the U.S. military that's not a doctor is either evil, stupid or both?

Pilot
December 22, 2005, 03:51 PM

Good movie, but Tom Berenger's beard really got to me. :)

Cousin Mike
December 22, 2005, 03:58 PM
Tour of Duty! Thanks. I loved that show as a kid.
I forgot also, I thought the Pianist was a great movie too.

Cosmoline
December 22, 2005, 04:21 PM
Good movie, but Tom Berenger's beard really got to me. :)

That and the fact that they cast a LIBERAL YANKEE DOG as Lee! It was an insult to the memory of every Confederate Vet.

Now Robert Duvall was a good Lee, but this little liberal anti-gun, yankee! Just look at him:

http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/history/waughj/classes/civilwar/gburgtrip/gburg0731a/images/NK010731092644_1117.jpg

He looks like some shrill little carpetbagging drygoods salesman.

entropy
December 22, 2005, 04:33 PM
84 Charlie MoPic, hands down. First time I saw it, I stumbled onto it about halfway through on PBS, and I thought it was actual combat footage. SPR's landing up to the beach mop-up had serious pucker factor, as did the scene in Blackhawk Down with the two SF at the crash site. BoB is awesome in it's cinematography. I really like The odd Angry shot, an Australian film about Vietnam, it really shows the dark humor that develops in combat.

oweno is right on about Das Boot, except I leave out the subtitles.;)

IndianaDean
December 22, 2005, 04:34 PM
I saw a History Channel program about the Zulus. They have one of the most eerie war cries I have ever heard. It sent chills down my spine.

jobu07
December 22, 2005, 04:49 PM
Gods & Generals, in my mind, exceeds Gettysburg in many ways. The last one in the series should start filming in the spring btw...

Ah yes, Sherman's march to the sea.

bg
December 22, 2005, 06:11 PM
I've been watching a show that was just canceled called "Over There"
about the Iraqi Campaign. It was on FX. Da*n good show. Wish it
had been picked up for next yr..

Now I have a question. Wasn't that movie with Tom Berenger as
Teddy Roosevelt called " The Rough Riders" ? I thought that was
a pretty good flick. Gary Busey was nuts in that movie. It's about
the San Juan Campaign.

One last one I like and that's " The Red Badge of Courage"

swingset
December 22, 2005, 06:53 PM
I think about 80% of the posters in this thread don't know the difference between "realistic" and "favorite".

Some of the suggestions, while entertaining or classic films, are grossly innacurate and so far from the reality of combat that it's laughable.

Pilot
December 22, 2005, 07:06 PM
He looks like some shrill little carpetbagging drygoods salesman.

Oh you are so correct. Martin Sheehan as Lee! What a travesty! That's a great pic, he looks like he's going to a sewing circle meeting! LOL!

Sam
December 22, 2005, 07:32 PM
DMK,
The Author of M*A*S*H, (H.Richard Hornberger pen name Richard Hooker) will be very happy to know that it was about Vietnam, since he wrote it as a recount/bio of experiences as an Army physician in Korea.

As far as a realistic movie depication of combat, I reccomend Attack with Jack Palance and Eddie Albert. The interaction and dialogue are as realistic as you could allow in a 1956 general distribution movie. Script was realistic enough that the army would not touch it with a 10 foot pole. Aldrich made some miracles for a war movie with no DoD support but technical accuracy is lousey because of that lack of support. Doesn't matter anyway, good stories are about people not gadgets.

Sam

bg
December 22, 2005, 09:46 PM
I think about 80% of the posters in this thread don't know the difference between "realistic" and "favorite".

Some of the suggestions, while entertaining or classic films, are grossly innacurate and so far from the reality of combat that it's laughable.
I have to admit I'm more than likely guilty of this..But I didn't go so
far as to name the movies the Army showed me in Boot Camp
about fighting the "hoochie" disease..I didn't know what to think of those flicks..:o

jefnvk
December 22, 2005, 09:55 PM
Band of Brothers and Gods and Generals are probably two of the better, IMHO.

We Were Soldiers and Blackhawk Down are a couple others, although I hear they differ somewhat from the books, so I'll withhold judgement until I read the books.

A slightly differnt twist on a realistic war movie, try To End All Wars. It is about Scottish (I beleive, one of the UK Isles) POWs in a Japanese camp in WWII. A real story.

While I liked Behind Enemy Lines as an action film, I think that is about as far as it goes.

Gallipoli is good in the end, but the first half drags on quite a while. Got me wanting a Turk Mauser, though.

Mainsail
December 22, 2005, 10:56 PM
I remember a movie called "Wildgeese" or something along those lines, (NOT the one with Earnest Borgneign) that was supposed to be pretty accurate representation of the mercenary. There was a sequel as well.

shep854
December 22, 2005, 11:14 PM
Regarding M*A*S*H:

The book was indeed about the Korean War. When the movie was made, it was supposed to reflect Korea, but the people making it went ahead (and behind the studio's back) and inserted the Vietnam flavor.

For the first few seasons, I thought the TV series did a good job of portraying the human cost of war. Over time, though it became an antimilitary farce.

spooney
December 22, 2005, 11:33 PM

That was why I threw a ;) behing my Dirty Dozen post, I've loved the movie since I was a kid but it has to be the most unbelievable story in the history of moviedom.

cz75bdneos22
December 23, 2005, 12:19 AM

theyr'e movies, if you want "real", then they are looking for a few good men in the USMC...:neener: don't presume to know your an active/veteran of the USAF, but if you are...at ease, soldier...:evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "most realistic war movies(dialogue, combat cinematography etc.)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!