Range Report: Parris Island

PDA

Kalashnikov
December 22, 2005, 11:08 AM
Well for those who might remember me, would remeber that I was off to MCRD Parris Island for boot camp a few months ago. I can now say that i have successfully complete basic training and have EARNED the title of United States Marine. It's an awesome feeling, I wish i could find the words for it. For those who are interested my MOs is 2311, Ammunition and Explosive Ordanence Disposal. Anyways like I said this is a range report. I scored 238 out of 250 (for those familiure with the Marine Corps KD course of fire). 3 points away from company high shooter. Well its good to be back,

Semper Fi

If you enjoyed reading about "Range Report: Parris Island" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fly320s
December 22, 2005, 11:13 AM
Congratulations on becoming a Marine. :D

You have received probably the best rifle training available. Remember it for as long as you live and it well serve you well.

Enjoy your time off. Merry Christmas.

Kalashnikov
December 22, 2005, 11:17 AM
Thank you very much.

As for the rifle training, the biggest thing that they taught me that I had no idea about was trigger control. I never knew it was a slow steady squeeze, I always just squeezed. Makes sense now that i think about it but at the time...:banghead:

Semper Fi

AirForceShooter
December 22, 2005, 11:23 AM
Congratulations

I always hated the term squeeze.

AFS

Lambo
December 22, 2005, 11:29 AM
Kalashnikov Thank You for your Service. Our Republic still exists because of young boys like yourself and old men like me!!!! OOH- RAH

obiwan1
December 22, 2005, 11:36 AM
Semper Fi. Congrats and welcome. 238 is a very nice score. You must have had an exceptional platoon to be beat with that score. I was high man with a couple of points lower but that was many years ago and with an M14. Always remember - there's Expert, and everything else. Shooting Expert is one of those checkmarks for advancement. :cool:

JamisJockey
December 22, 2005, 12:00 PM
Well for those who might remember me, would remeber that I was off to MCRD Parris Island for boot camp a few months ago. I can now say that i have successfully complete basic training and have EARNED the title of United States Marine. It's an awesome feeling, I wish i could find the words for it. For those who are interested my MOs is 2311, Ammunition and Explosive Ordanence Disposal. Anyways like I said this is a range report. I scored 238 out of 250 (for those familiure with the Marine Corps KD course of fire). 3 points away from company high shooter. Well its good to be back,

Semper Fi

Great shooting Marine. Welcome to the fraternity. Its small, but distinguished.

Jason Dunaway, CPL, USMC (1992-1997)

Kalashnikov
December 22, 2005, 12:35 PM
Well thank you all for the kind words but I'm just doing my duty, thats all. Humility aside though I'm very proud and honored to have achieved what I did. As far as my platoon goes we had 19 failures and the platoon high shooter got a 239, which pisses me off slightly. We still took 2nd as far as company though. To be perfectly honest though I'm kinda ashamed of my platoon, all my drill instructors said we were the worst because we had no team work, which was true. Infinate potential, but no willingness to use it. I'm trying to find some platoon pictures but it's a little taxing right now so maybe later. Also I recived a Romanian SKS and M1 garand as graduation gifts, so I have a couple of questions. Is there an online source for wolf 7.62x39 ammo? Everywhere I've looked has it out of stock and on back order. Also is the M1 ammo sensetive or will it eat any 30-06?

Semper Fi

6inch
December 22, 2005, 12:36 PM
Semper Fi brother.

Congrats on firing Expert but take it from an old 0311. The best shots in combat are usually not the best on the range. That's a whole new ballgame. :)

RVN. '67-'68.

pcf
December 22, 2005, 12:57 PM
To be perfectly honest though I'm kinda ashamed of my platoon, all my drill instructors said we were the worst because we had no team work, which was true.

Haha, don't take it personally, it's in the DIs' personality to be a-holes no matter how well you do. Are's had some rather un-highroad type things to say about us too.

Enjoy your leave, remember you can now walk around anywhere you want without permission (especially at home), don't have to have your heels together when you eat, and it's okay to turn your head and stare at girls.

(BTW chicks dig blues even all you have is a NDSM)

Brian Williams
December 22, 2005, 12:59 PM
Welcome to The Marines
OORah
Semper Fi
75-79

Kalashnikov
December 22, 2005, 01:16 PM
BTW chicks dig blues even all you have is a NDSM

thats such a shame that I'm engaged, I cant go out and pick up chicks in them.:(

molonlabe
December 22, 2005, 01:30 PM
Stick with 150ish gr Mil Ball ammo for the M1 unless you are reloading. Then you need to use the right powder. Military ball is best. It has a finicky pressure curve that needs to be correct. 4895 is the preferred powder with some people using 4064. The bullets uses vary from 150gr to 168gr match king that I use.
Canít speak for the communist block gun, never owned on. Spent too much of my life fighting them.

Lambo
December 22, 2005, 01:49 PM
Klashnikov, Ammo Links:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_30_06.html

http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm

http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=20221&sku=AMM%2D683&imgid=&mscssid=7R0KV5QA6PHU9K4NJWSQCES0PBCT747F

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/dept.asp?page=1&dept%5Fid=20224&imgid=&categname=&dept%5Fname=Wolf&mycount=36&mscssid=7R0KV5QA6PHU9K4NJWSQCES0PBCT747F

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0024236215344a&navCount=2&podId=0024236&parentId=cat20839&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20712&catalogCode=XF&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20839&hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?rid=&indexId=cat20839&navAction=push&navCount=4&cmCat=MainCatcat20712&parentType=index&parentId=cat20839&id=0022899

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/browse/browse.asp?c=96&s=916

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/browse/browse.asp?c=96&p=s&bt=N&s=953
NOTE: Military Surplus Ammo may be Corrosivea

HankB
December 22, 2005, 01:53 PM
Also is the M1 ammo sensetive or will it eat any 30-06? A "stock" M1 Garand should not be used with most commercial ammo - it's a matter of gas port pressure.

The ODCMP has genuine USGI ball ammo available at a good price, gibrass.com also has suitable USGI ammo available, this packed in Garand clips.

There are two types of Korean ammo which are suitable for the Garand - the "KA" headstamped stuff works well, but is corrosively primed. The "PS" stuff is non corrosive, but there are reputedly a couple of defective lots circulating around.

There's also an aftermarket gas plug available - it allows you to selectively "bleed off" some gas. With one of these installed and adjusted properly, virtually any .30/06 ammo may be used without beating the heck out of the op rod.

Rich K
December 22, 2005, 03:31 PM
Welcome to the Brotherhood! You are now a member of the finest Military Organization in the world.Semper Fi,and OOORAH.USMC-74-78-0311.

BullfrogKen
December 22, 2005, 03:57 PM
Semper Fi Marine. EOD, huh? (Thinking back to how many lifer EOD guys had all 10 fingers . . . )

My first night back home, I woke up, had to visit "the head". I got out of the rack, walked right into a wall. I tripped over things, fished around, and searched the walls with my hands wondering what kind of new game was this the Drill Instructors were pulling on us . . .

Then, I realized I wasn't in a squad bay anymore. Good thing, too. Because whoever was on firewatch that night was asleep. . .

Rezin
December 22, 2005, 04:31 PM
Semper Fi. You are now one of the elite! Wear it proudly!

USMC 89-92

Kalashnikov
December 22, 2005, 05:23 PM
Semper Fi Marine. EOD, huh? (Thinking back to how many lifer EOD guys had all 10 fingers . . . )

My first night back home, I woke up, had to visit "the head". I got out of the rack, walked right into a wall. I tripped over things, fished around, and searched the walls with my hands wondering what kind of new game was this the Drill Instructors were pulling on us . . .

Then, I realized I wasn't in a squad bay anymore. Good thing, too. Because whoever was on firewatch that night was asleep. . .

I thought the exact same thing the first night I woke up. I looked around the hotel room and though "why the hell did the drill instructors put sheets over the windows? and wasnt I on the top rack?":confused:

As far as my fingers go, my senior drill instructor asked if I liked having all ten. I replied as long as i have both trigger fingers I'll live to be a happy man :evil:

tegemu
December 22, 2005, 05:38 PM
Semper Fi Marine, This old Senior Chief sends his congratulations and I am proud of you. No one but a Marine can wear that Eagle Globe and Anchor, Honor and Treasure it. I wish I could shake your hand. Good Luck and God Bless.

Steve in PA
December 22, 2005, 06:41 PM
Welcome to the brotherhood, Marine :D

CAPTAIN MIKE
December 22, 2005, 06:48 PM
Good for you. Thank you for your Service to our COUNTRY.
Now...drop and give me 50 for the Corps !!!

jojo
December 22, 2005, 10:18 PM
Congratulations Marine, well done.

Sgt USMC
75-80

oneshooter
December 22, 2005, 11:24 PM
Congrads!!! A long road that few have traveled. What you have learned will be with you for life.
Semper Fi Brother

Oneshooter
0311 E-5 USMC 1970-78
Livin in Texas

MikeIsaj
December 22, 2005, 11:35 PM
Congrats Marine, and welcome to the greatest fraternity in the world. 238s an excellent score in boot camp. Expect to add another 5 - 10 points next qual. Fleet weapons are in better condition and less stress. Remember what you did to earn that Eagle, Globe and Anchor. Be proud, make us all proud!

Winger Ed.
December 23, 2005, 01:07 AM
It's an awesome feeling, I wish i could find the words for it.

Welcome to the brotherhood.

I think the word you might be looking for is, 'obnoxious pride'. Of the Navy bases I was stationed on, or passed through, that's what all the little blue pajama wearing Chain Greasers called it anyway. Har, har, har,,,,,,,,,

Semper Fi,
Ed.
SSGT USMC 73-80 6064

You can't beat my seat.
When in doubt, punch out.

Kalashnikov
December 23, 2005, 10:32 AM
Thanks alot for all the congradulations(sp), I wish I could say I deserved them, but I'm only doing my service. It's what I have to do, just as I'm sure you all thought roughly the same thing. I thank all of you for your service, you're the ones who did something, I haven't yet.

Well enough with the humility (it was sincere though). AIM surplus seems to be the best bet so far for Garand ammo, though I still havent found the deal I want on 7.62x39.

JamisJockey
December 23, 2005, 11:00 AM

That's funny.

My dad is a retired Marine, and when I was home on leave decided it would be funny to flip on the lights and sound reville for me. Before I knew it, I was on-line at the end of my rack, POA in my whitey-tighties. He was laughing pretty damn hard and I called him some pretty bad names.....

1 old 0311
December 23, 2005, 11:08 AM
If you went through San Diego like I did you would have been
issued 'sunglasses':neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener:

Kevin

Oldboy
December 23, 2005, 02:14 PM

Go to the head in the night? Are you kidding? They let you go to the head after lights out? It sure wasn't like that in the old corps.

Parris Island, '64

JamisJockey
December 23, 2005, 03:54 PM
Go to the head in the night? Are you kidding? They let you go to the head after lights out? It sure wasn't like that in the old corps.

Parris Island, '64

Hell, I went in '92 and we couldn't go to the head after lights!

If you enjoyed reading about "Range Report: Parris Island" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!