Do you name your firearms?

PDA

Rockrivr1
December 22, 2005, 11:59 AM
I was at the rifle range the other day shooting a new (to me) Mosin Nagant M44 that I got from Centerfire Systems. While there I struck up a conversation with an older member who was shooting a Garand. He started talking about how back in WWII he had a Garand in Europe. He mentioned that he named his Garand back in WWII and that the one he was shooting now also had a name.

Last night I ended up watching Full Metal Jacket (Great Movie) and the Marines in boot camp had to name their rifles as well. This got me thinking. I wondered how many shooters actually name thier firearms. I personally haven't done this, but I wouldn't be surprised if many do.

So do you name your firearms? If so, what are some of the names you've given to them?

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you name your firearms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chipperman
December 22, 2005, 12:03 PM
I have not named any of mine, but I don't think people who do are weird.

molonlabe
December 22, 2005, 12:04 PM
All of mine are named charlene :) :)

Kalashnikov
December 22, 2005, 12:11 PM
I named my 1897 trench gun St. Anger, after the Metallica album (too bad it sucked). A few others have more personal names.

pax
December 22, 2005, 12:18 PM
My carry gun is Miss Anne Thrope. I call her Miss Anne.

I have an NAA mini-revolver with faux pearl grips. Her name is Minnie Pearl.

The kids' .22 Marlin plinking rifle is named The Wizard.

My best shooting buddy has a carry gun named Sir Jury. I think I'm a bad influence.

pax

allmons
December 22, 2005, 12:25 PM
Ummm- no, I rarely give names to inanimate objects. I have been known to supply profane names to those people who feel compelled to drive slowly in the fast lane, however.

:rolleyes:

Preacherman
December 22, 2005, 12:29 PM
I call my elephant gun "Fluffykins"...

:neener:

xd9fan
December 22, 2005, 12:31 PM
My 4inch bitone XD9 (that is alway close to my heart) goes by "HiHo Silver"
My Ruger black laminated 77/17 is "the Hammer"

kage genin
December 22, 2005, 12:46 PM
I don't name my guns for the same reason I never named any of my motorcycles/cars/machines... they are objects and have no will of their own, and treating said object as if it had some sort of feelings for you would leave room for the situation of a user overlooking proper operating procedures because "ol' Bessy has always been good to me." It's a deeply personal thing.. for me, I don't want to ever forget that my guns are tools.

Nothing against folks who do name their guns. I can see how it would be fun, and how one might feel that it makes their weapon an extension of their body/mind/soul. The Japanese samurai treated their swords in that manner.

JJE
December 22, 2005, 01:13 PM
I voted "idiotic", but that's probably too harsh. I can see naming your one and only firearm, or your absolute favorite (or most hated). But most of us own a whole bunch of guns and thinking up (and remembering) names for 4 or 40 different guns seems like time better spent at the range.

Berek
December 22, 2005, 01:15 PM
I don't name my guns for the same reason I never named any of my motorcycles/cars/machines... they are objects and have no will of their own, and treating said object as if it had some sort of feelings for you would leave room for the situation of a user overlooking proper operating procedures because "ol' Bessy has always been good to me." It's a deeply personal thing.. for me, I don't want to ever forget that my guns are tools.

I respect your choice and reasoning. I, however do enjoy naming firearms for one simple reason. Imagine the look on someone's face when you say:

Sometimes, shock value is enough... :D

MrTuffPaws
December 22, 2005, 01:16 PM
I personally never do, but my wife does. The 870 is now known as "Pumpy"

Rupestris
December 22, 2005, 01:20 PM
I've only named one of them.
My Remington 870 is named after Bart Simpsons Elephant.

"STAMPY" :D

Vern Humphrey
December 22, 2005, 01:20 PM
Naming weapons is an ancient tradition. If you read Tain Bo Culalge (an ancient Irish epic) you will see many weapons named.

My M82 Kimber is the Gae Bolga (after Cu Chullain's special weapon.)

My M77 Ruger in .30-06 is "Old Bill Ruger."

My pre-64 Model 70 Winchester in .30-06 is Fionn MacCumhaill.

My custom '03 Springfield in .35 Brown-Whelen is Bigfoot Wallace.

Zundfolge
December 22, 2005, 01:21 PM
Both my grandfathers named all their vehicles ... thought it was weird for a tractor to be named "Jenny", seems even weirder for a rifle. :scrutiny:

mike8b1
December 22, 2005, 01:24 PM
It's funny that 19% of us think the other 40% are idiots. :D

pythonguy
December 22, 2005, 01:25 PM
No names for me, naming them is one thing, sleeping with then would be quite another.:D

Omni04
December 22, 2005, 01:42 PM
For some reason i couldn't see myself naming any of my own firearms, but if i was in the armed service i might. Maybe because i don't feel as attached to my guns as i would if i were in the Marines.

Taurus 617 CCW
December 22, 2005, 01:46 PM
I named my FN FAL after a high school beauty that never gave in to me. To this day she is still single and I always wondered... I have a wonderful girlfriend, we're doing very well together and she loves shooting the FAL. ;)

No_Brakes23
December 22, 2005, 01:47 PM
My Senior Drill Instructor said I had too. :)

pythonguy
December 22, 2005, 01:59 PM
Now that is an amazing place to shoot, Taurus 617 CCW. Is that a private range? I wish we had places like that in NY, it looks so nice.

KriegHund
December 22, 2005, 02:02 PM
I have not named any of mine, but I don't think people who do are weird.

Same here.

I think the reason alot of soldiers name their weaons is that they relay on them day to day for survival.

It makes it a little more personal than just having a gun sit in a vault.

K-Romulus
December 22, 2005, 02:02 PM
Being a graduate of Marine Corps Reprogramming Department Parris Island :neener: , it felt weird NOT having at least informally "named" my long guns (for pistols, though, there was no such unease with their being "nameless" :confused: )

Carl N. Brown
December 22, 2005, 02:08 PM
When the weld failed on my third Grendel P10 and cracked
the side of the polymer frame, I had some choice names for
THAT gun, but I won't repeat them here.

I did call my Winchester 69A "Winnie" but I haven't named my
other guns. David Crockett is supposed to have named his
rifle "old Betsy" after an old girlfriend. Daniel Boone is supposed
to have named his rifle "Ticklicker," I hope he named it after a
favorite hunting dog.

Legionnaire
December 22, 2005, 02:35 PM
Like Carl, I've called some of mine names on occasion, but have never given them names. My wife does, though. She calls my 9.5" scoped SuperRedhawk the "Terminator" since it looks like something Arnold would carry. She also refers to any concealed pistol as my "American Express." Her way of asking me if I'm armed when we're together in a public place without raising suspicion. "Honey, do you have your American Express?"

Vern Humphrey
December 22, 2005, 02:44 PM
It's funny that 19% of us think the other 40% are idiots. :D

Me sainted Irish Mither tried to live up to me Grandda's rule, "If you can't say something good about someone, don't say anything at all."

I remember her sitting silent while some flannel-mouth old biddie was running down everyone in the neighborhood. Finally me Mither says, "That tells me more about you than about them.":p

f4t9r
December 22, 2005, 02:48 PM
I have a name for all of them. I call them Colt , Kimber , Rock River , SIG , Marlin , Remmington , Ruger , Browning
They all have diff middle names and we all share the same last name.

Tomcat1066
December 22, 2005, 02:54 PM
My Yugo M59/66 is named Buster. My Factory 26 SKS is named "Vic" (Short for Victor Charles). No name for my CZ 75.....yet ;)

Tom

mbs357
December 22, 2005, 03:07 PM
I would get a normal M1, add a few nice parts to it and call it Ed.
Then get another one all 'tricked out' with synthetic stock and an AIMPOINT, call that one Al.
Whoops, almost forgot.
None of my firearmes have names at the moment.
;D

hso
December 22, 2005, 03:09 PM
I've named only one gun and that's my old FM Hi Power "Frank". Frank is short for frankenstein and it got that name because it's my gun to experiment on. Wanted to try out trit sights. Frank got a set. Wanted to try out an experimental finish. Frank got a new coat. And on and on.

Third_Rail
December 22, 2005, 03:28 PM
My wife names my firearms. Oops, I mean her firearms. :rolleyes:

Valkman
December 22, 2005, 04:03 PM

Now that's hilarious!

I took the last option - sorry but if you name your guns you have way too much free time! :p

armoredman
December 22, 2005, 04:18 PM
Two out of four. My carry pistol, the CZ-75 Po1, is just "the PO1". My SHTF rifle, a 63 year old Mosin Nagant M-38 carbine....is Babshuka Thunderboomer, though I usually just say, "The Mosin."
The wife's rifle, the Yugo SKS, is just "the Yugo", but her CZ-2075, is known as her "little Czech friend".

tegemu
December 22, 2005, 04:49 PM
Some, my new Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail is "Danny Bob." I have several sticks and hiking staffs. My Blackthorn stick" is "Murphy," another is 'Annette," one staff is "Yosemite Sam," another "Diablo." Each has a reason that has a good memory attached.

Smokey Joe
December 22, 2005, 04:54 PM
I've named various firearms over the years. Not all of them get names. Same is true of automobiles. If a thing is to have a name, it will tell you what it is and it will be right, and that is its name.

If it does not tell you, then it was not meant to be, and that is also right. If you think you should not name any of your implements, that is the right path for you.

We get guided in these things, and sometimes we are not as free-willed as we think.

My new SKS is Comrade Princess Anastasia, even though she's Yugoslavian--she has a Russian soul. The break-action shotgun I inherited from my grandfather is The 20-Gauge That Does Not Miss. My S&W 586 is Smitty,or Old Reliable. My 1911 is Old Slabsides.

I also have a number of firearms, some of them very good, and which work well for me, which do not have names that I know of. This is the correct path for those guns.

Incidentally, Comrade Princess Anastasia's name came to me WHILE I was on the range with her, so JJE's complaint is invalid, at least for that one. Come to think of it, my son named The 20-Gauge That Does Not Miss, and we were on the way home from the range with it at the time.

Back when I drove school bus, every one that I drove was named Scrap Iron. Sometimes the kids would chant encouragement to Scrap Iron as she labored up a hill.

1911 guy
December 22, 2005, 04:56 PM
My carry gun got named "Mathilda", but not by me. A co-worker and I got in a somewhat tight spot (turned out uneventful) and he looked over and said "I hope you got Mathilda on". He'd probably just seen League of Extaordinary Gentleman.:p

jefnvk
December 22, 2005, 04:58 PM
My K31 is the 'Swiss Miss'

Nothing else has a name, though.

lawson
December 22, 2005, 05:41 PM
haven't actively named many of my guns (though i don't think it's weird).

some of them have acquired names over time. my Mossberg 395 has been dubbed "the ugliest shotgun i've ever seen" which is usually followed with "can i try it next?".

grizz5675
December 22, 2005, 05:54 PM
yes my big calibered guns are named big bad boys and my little calibered guns are my little bad boys.

rritter
December 22, 2005, 06:10 PM
Some of mine have names. The Mosin-Nagant 91/30 is Spike, the M44 is Mr. Pointy, and the M38 is Buffy. The SKS is Major Spearage, and the M1 Garand is Miss Liberty. Mauser K98k is Fritz, and the SMLE is still looking for a better name than Smelly:neener:

trueblue1776
December 22, 2005, 06:13 PM
I've always stood by the saying "a gun is only a tool", Maybe I've never had a gun cool enough to name.

michiganfan
December 22, 2005, 06:16 PM
Yes I have glock, beretta, ruger etc but my browning hipower I just refer to as a thing of beauty.

rick_reno
December 22, 2005, 06:18 PM
No. I have trouble remembering my kids names, if I did this to inanimate objects I'd never be able to remember them.

jtward01
December 22, 2005, 06:24 PM
I don't normally name my guns, but years ago I did call an Italian-built SPAS-12 I had "Uncle Nunzio." Sort of like, "mess and me and I'll introduce you to my Uncle Nunzio."

As I recall, Boone named his rifle "Ticlicker" because he claimed he could shoot a tic off the back of a hound dog at 30 paces. Don't know if he ever really tried, or if he did try, if the dog survived.

Czar
December 22, 2005, 07:03 PM
Rugger 10/22 #1 : Mr. Magoo (put a 8x56 russion scope on it just for giggles)
Rugger 10/22 #2 : P.D.A.T. (Prarie Dog Assassination Tool)
Baretta 391 : Pasta Tosser
M-N 91 - Tikka : ThinFinn
M-N M39 Sneak: FatFinn
2 Unnamed M44 M-Ns (Probably will be Thing 1 and Thing 2)
Yugo SKS : Esskay
Romo SAR1 : The Toy
Colt AR-15 Lightweight : Kan-Saw (AR / Kan-Saw) My home state get it? :)
Makarov : Col. Popov
CZ-52 : Flamebelchinghandcannon
CZ-75 Compact : Kathryn

Cars:
Usually named after their color.
White Lightning/Elephant depending on how well its working '78 Mercedes Diesel. (Yes the name is a cruel joke I'm playing on the car)
My 88 560SEL is having trouble with a name, I figured it would be Bonnie Blue, but it's been a Nazi ---Hole so I've been calling it Kurt Waldheim.

I give them names which typically sums up what I think of them at the time. Call me crazy.

Kodiaz
December 22, 2005, 07:12 PM
Ok I've only named one of my guns so far. My 11-87 that I used for hunting and never failed me was "Old Reliable". BUT after I moved to Fl and saw the need to put a 9 + 1 mag extension on it, I looked at it and said, "This thing is a @#$%$#@ Blast Cannon". After I stopped laughing (It took awhile) I knew Old Reliable had been renamed, "The Blast Cannon"

This probably doesn't count but my paintball gun (a 68 Automag by airgun designs if you know what this is your an oldtime paintballer) was called "The Devil's Organ" I won't go into details. My old pump was called "the boomstick"
and until someone can show me usage of the word boomstick before 1992 as far as I'm concerned I invented that word.

TMM
December 22, 2005, 07:12 PM
i plan on naming all the guns that are close to me... Elanor is one of the names i think is quite fitting. perhaps a revo of some sort. my carry gun will definately be named...

~TMM

Kodiaz
December 22, 2005, 07:14 PM
I also want to say that naming firearms like attaching a Bayonet is probably HIGHLY offensive to Liberals. So name your weapons and where can i get a bayonet for my Ruger P94dc

chickenfried
December 22, 2005, 08:06 PM
To use a line from an old joke. What's the use of giving your gun a name? It can't come if you call it.

Ridge
December 22, 2005, 08:43 PM
I've only named three and they are the ones I've always carried.

My Smith&Wesson Model 10's name is "Smitty"

My Marlin Model 25M's is "Punk-1"

And the other is my Marlin Model 60's "Insomniac"

I'm going to etch "The Reaper" into my Marlin 917's stock

stevelyn
December 22, 2005, 08:56 PM
SIR! THE WEAPON'S NAME IS EVELYN. SIR!.........Or E2 for short.

(A Daewoo K2 named after gf which neither of whose ill temperment you want be be caught on the wrong end of.):D:evil:

6inch
December 22, 2005, 09:02 PM
The ones with sentimental attachments have names. You know, the ones that have been handed down by loved ones or maybe just have character/history.

Idiotic?, I don't know... maybe. But hey, I'm haven' fun so what the heck... :)

bigun15
December 22, 2005, 09:09 PM
If I had one, I would name a Barrett .50 "Tiny."

Jack Straw from Wichita
December 22, 2005, 09:12 PM
My K98k is "Herr LoudenBoomer mit BruisenShoulder"

-Jack, who is getting some peculiar looks from his wife right about now

longtooth
December 22, 2005, 09:16 PM
I name all of mine. Don't have near as many to remember as some of you.
Kimber compac CDP- Kim. Primary Carry.
Kel-tec P32- Kelly. BUG
M1A - Friend. Short range hunting rifle. under 200
Tikka .300 WSM- Big Sam. Long range or bigger than deer.
Moss 590- Thumper. Home defense.

Snookay
December 22, 2005, 09:35 PM
i wont name my gun. My roommate however calls my gun a "pistol pete." I thought it was strange, i dont know where he came up with that. :confused:

bg
December 22, 2005, 09:37 PM
I have three names for three of my weapons..Slick for my 2nd Gen
Colt SAA, Puff for my Colt Mark IV Series 80 GM, and Boo-boo for my
Ruger Mini-14..Which is more true than not when it comes to the Mini.

The others are without names. They don't appear to care one way or
the other.

Larryect
December 22, 2005, 09:53 PM
Like Carl, I've called some of mine names on occasion, but have never given them names. My wife does, though. She calls my 9.5" scoped SuperRedhawk the "Terminator" since it looks like something Arnold would carry. She also refers to any concealed pistol as my "American Express." Her way of asking me if I'm armed when we're together in a public place without raising suspicion. "Honey, do you have your American Express?"

I really like that. I have wondered about a good code word. American Express would be perfect, since we don't use the card. I asked my wife one time about wondering if I was armed. She said she just figures I am. :D

I did name the Kel-Tec SU16 I bought after the hurricanes. I got approval because of Katrina, so of course that's what I named it. That's the only one I have named so far. ;)

HighVelocity
December 22, 2005, 09:55 PM
I call them all "Betty". Basically so my wife and I can talk about guns in public without drawing attention to ourselves.

VirgilCaine
December 22, 2005, 09:56 PM
Naming weapons is an ancient tradition. If you read Tain Bo Culalge (an ancient Irish epic) you will see many weapons named.

My M82 Kimber is the Gae Bolga (after Cu Chullain's special weapon.)

Well, yeah they had names, some of them were also intelligent.

Atticus
December 22, 2005, 10:03 PM
I've called a few of them FPS...and I don't mean feet per second.

spooney
December 22, 2005, 11:42 PM
The only one that really has a name is my Winchester and it's name is, surprisingly enough, Winchester. My friends and I all call any .45 a "murder cannon" though, no real reason it basically just came out of .45 vs. 9mm trash talk.

Thrash1982
December 22, 2005, 11:46 PM
On occasion my Berretta 96 will get the name "The Italian Lady" and my SIG 226 "ze frauline."

I'm thinking when I get my AR all tricked out how I want it I might take to calling it "Vera."

Ryder
December 23, 2005, 12:02 AM
Some of mine have yet to tell me what they want to be called... And maybe they never will.

jefnvk
December 23, 2005, 12:52 AM
Elanor is one of the names i think is quite fitting. perhaps a revo of some sort.

Or a GT500.

Forgot to mention, the best name I ever heard, was "Twin Towers", for a 30"+ SxS 10-gauge my dad's friend owned.

Rem700SD
December 23, 2005, 12:59 AM
quote "To use a line from an old joke. What's the use of giving your gun a name? It can't come if you call it."-chickenfried

Yes, But my cats still have names, regardless!
My .300WM target rifle's name is AT&T, but it's more of a description than a name...

Czar
December 23, 2005, 02:01 AM
quote "To use a line from an old joke. What's the use of giving your gun a name? It can't come if you call it."-chickenfried

Yes, But my cats still have names, regardless!
My .300WM target rifle's name is AT&T, but it's more of a description than a name...

Along the same lines as AT&T I've also heard of:
Hallmark
FedEx
ADP
Bayer
Nike

Although for naming a gun after a corporate slogan, I'm still partial to AT&T: Reach out and touch someone.

gfen
December 23, 2005, 11:07 AM
Guilty as charged, but like, can I at least explain?

Her, "Do you have.....with you?"
Me, "Yes dear, I've brought Ivan." When wearing a Makarov. See, its not so bad, right?

Her, "You didn't, did you?"
Me, "Yes, I have [Quasi/Quasimodo/Humpback) with me." When wearing a S&W Bodyguard. See, see, its not THAT bad?

Well, alright, so the AR-15 (the only "military" style rifle I own) is named Charlene. Sue me!

gfen, who named each of his cameras after his wife+1 just to irk her.

robert garner
December 23, 2005, 12:01 PM
Only my Flintlock ;derived from F. Neitche,"Also Sprach Zarathustra"
in English "Thus Spoke Zarathustra"
in Sothron Thus spoke a'Rooster
guess ya had to be there

Luchtaine
December 23, 2005, 12:25 PM
hrmm I call my K 98k Jerry... After all it is a veteran.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you name your firearms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!