Need info about getting an FFL

PDA

BHPshooter
December 22, 2005, 03:17 PM
I am really giving some serious thought to getting an FFL.

Where do I go to get started? Does anyone know the rough cost?

Any info you've got, I'd appreciate.
Wes

If you enjoyed reading about "Need info about getting an FFL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jer1949
December 22, 2005, 03:24 PM
http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/5000.htm#firearms

Beyond this you will need your state's permission, you local government's permission, a city business license and (in most cases), a storefront Oh.....and a sales tax id........and a good gun safe.

Good luck with your pursuit.

waterhouse
December 22, 2005, 05:57 PM
I run mine out of my house, which in addition to everything posted above meant I also had to have my neighborhood's permision. If there isn't someone else in your area who does cheap transfers (and you live in a somewhat populated area) you can recoupe your cost outlay fairly quickly by doing reasonably priced transfers. I think it was $200 for the license for 3 years.

Only other advise that comes to mind is that it is helpful to have everything ready when the ATF comes for the initial inspection. They'll say things like "you'll need to get a state sales tax number" and "you are going to need an A&D book (bound book)." The guys who came to check me out were a lot more laid back once they saw that I already had a sales tax number and bound book, and they could go over the format of my book and make sure everything was correct.

thatguy
December 22, 2005, 06:18 PM
If you just want to buy guns for yourself forget it. If you really want to be a gun dealer the ATF can provide info but also check wuth state and local officials on tax collection, business license, zoning, etc, etc, etc. Most people find it too much to deal with after a while. I did.

jer1949
December 22, 2005, 06:25 PM
I live in a very small town that has only one FFL/dealer. He also sells life and health insurance and runs the local Sears outlet store. Well it seems that he has found love in another city (too far to commute), and he's leaving. Having bought pratically every gun in my safe from him over the past 20 years, I will suffer severly......I'm already in major shock and he isn't even gone yet.

Soooo.....me and the Mrs. have decided to take the plunge. I have all the paperwork from the Feds and I'm in the process of satisfying the state DOJ. I already have the sales tax ID. The sales register book is a no brainer. My only fear is not having a real, live store.

What you have stated about working out of your house has given me some hope of pulling this off. I have been fearful of this issue from the onset but now I will move forward again. Thanks...

Rotty
December 22, 2005, 06:36 PM
I also run out of my house, a certain area is dedicated to the business, for expense purposes and for the ATF to be able to inspect if need be, the inspectors that came here were fine, nice people, a lot of people warned me about store front etc...found that it was a local ordinance that required that, and didnt apply to where i was at.
I am selective of my clients, and i am now doing a fair business of internet sales via gunbroker. So far I have been happy with how the business is doing. And aside from my gunsmithing work, has been little to no disruption of my family life.

hotpig
December 22, 2005, 08:26 PM
I have a small shop behind my house. I do not advertise so I have no walk in customers except transfers. I have my own web store and gunbroker. I do not need to have strangers coming over. The down side of no store front is that to compete on the net you have to be willing to just break even or settle for 1 or 2%. You have to have transactions in your bound book or they will not let you renew your FFL.

If you have stock items you can charge more for them. A smart buyers know the internet price with shipping. They will pay you that price and maybe a hair more if you have it in stock.

The only down side is the Inspector said she would like me to do 200 fire arm transfers per year. In a town of 2800 that is kind of a high number. I think they will renew my License even with a much lower number.

BHPshooter
December 28, 2005, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the responses. I have been busy over the holidays, so I haven't had a chance to read them until now.

Nope, I'm not doing it just to buy guns for myself. I would like to start an internet store, and eventually have a small storefront.

Wes

DMK
December 28, 2005, 06:44 PM
The only down side is the Inspector said she would like me to do 200 firearm transfers per year. Wow, so they actually encourage a minimum number of transfers for dealers? That's funny because with a C&R FFL, I'm always worried about doing too many trades or sales of my guns.

newfalguy101
December 28, 2005, 06:56 PM
The minimum # of transactions is an inspector thing, NOT a requirement,and for an area that size I think its not really feasable, at least not initially.

All of the ATF requirements are spelled out quite clearly ( for a gov document) on the application.

As mentioned before, check all state, and local offices for zoning/business rules.

You have gotten a surprising amount of very good info in this thread, best of luck to you.

ATF app is $200 to apply, $90 to renew
State and local entities will charge what they will, from nothing ( in my case)to I suppose mucho dinero.

I have had my 01 FFL since May of 04,
I run it part-time out of my home and do a small amount of business.

hotpig
December 28, 2005, 06:58 PM
I have never seen a minimum written. You are at the mercy of your area Inspector. If they deem that you are not selling enough guns to be a dealer, than you are just using the FFL for yourself and friends. I have not heard of them taking the FFL but they will not renew it.

I do not keep up on C&R but there is a minimum time that you have to keep the guns.

hotpig
December 28, 2005, 07:13 PM
The minimum # of transactions is an inspector thing, NOT a requirement,and for an area that size I think its not really feasable, at least not initially.

All of the ATF requirements are spelled out quite clearly ( for a gov document) on the application.

As mentioned before, check all state, and local offices for zoning/business rules.

You have gotten a surprising amount of very good info in this thread, best of luck to you.

ATF app is $200 to apply, $90 to renew
State and local entities will charge what they will, from nothing ( in my case)to I suppose mucho dinero.

I have had my 01 FFL since May of 04,
I run it part-time out of my home and do a small amount of business.

Illinois wants to add their own 300.00 license to that.
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=&SessionId=50&GA=94&DocTypeId=HB&DocNum=0990&GAID=8&LegID=15657&SpecSess=&Session=

Sir Aardvark
December 28, 2005, 09:29 PM
Be thankful that you live in Utah and not in **********.

I needed to have 7 seperate licenses, letters, permits, and certificates to run my FFL business in **********; all but one of them cost $$$.

Some cities here make it so difficult to get a city business permit for Dealing in Firearms that it is almost impossible to do it.

Sir Aardvark
December 28, 2005, 09:29 PM
Be thankful that you live in Utah and not in **********.

I needed to have 7 seperate licenses, letters, permits, and certificates to run my FFL business in **********.

Some cities here make it so difficult to get a city business permit for Dealing in Firearms that it is almost impossible to do it.

hotpig
December 29, 2005, 04:55 PM
After reading the different requirements, I have been wondering why us greedy FFL holders do not charge 50.00 or more for a transfer. The cost of the license is just the tip of the iceberg when you consider the criminal,civil and financial liabilities involved.The storage of the paperwork for 20 years plus is worth the cost of my transfer fee alone. Now also consider that every transfer that is done from a out of area dealer is a lost sale.

To those whiners out there that think they are being taken by us consider this. Your company reduces your pay by 50%. They are using your money to fund building a new work place in another State. When they have enough money to make the move you will be out of a job. This process is long and slow. It will take years to happen.

During this process you also keep getting comments from your boss that you are over paid and are greedy because you will only do work when you are on the clock.

This is the same thing that is happening to Dealers. The up side is it will pay off big when the competition dries up.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need info about getting an FFL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!