Best .38spl revolver plinking powder for COLD temerature?

PDA

Thirties
December 22, 2005, 03:56 PM
I have read that Titegroup is the best .38spl revolver plinking powder for small charges as it is less sensitive to position in the cartridge.

Is there any powder that is less affected by shooting in cold temperature, say, between 20 and 28F? Again, I'm referring to revolver plinking in .38spl.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best .38spl revolver plinking powder for COLD temerature?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BigSlick
December 22, 2005, 05:01 PM
For 158gr use Hodgdon H4227.

It is one of the 'Extreme' powder lineup. It does well in low temperatures.

I use it in 500SW and have had excellent uniformity and accuracy. It gets a little dirty if you go really light, but other than that it's great. Start at 9.0gr and work up slowly.

HTH

BigSlick

The Bushmaster
December 22, 2005, 07:18 PM
What test I have ran across my chronograph using W-231 firing after tilting the barrel up and bringing it down to the target and tilting the barrel down and bringing it up to the target have been rather boring. Little or no change in velocity. On a cold day....?? I live in Southern california...........:D And that's going to change. When I retire I will have four seasons again and then I will be able to let you know how W-231 works in cold weather...:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Best .38spl revolver plinking powder for COLD temerature?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!