Cleaning tactics for small PD range

PDA

Eisande
December 23, 2005, 06:21 PM
Sometime next year we will be moving into our new police station with it's new indoor range. I am trying to come up with a simple cleaning system which can accomodate the following issues;

30 to 60 shooters a month

mostly pistols, various calibers

rifle (AR) and shotgun (870)

wide range of skills when it comes to cleaning

possible allergy issues for some folks/health issues

I really want to KEEP IT SIMPLE, so absolutely no rods that need to be screwed together, one kind of solvent preferably, and one kind of brush. I thought maybe the Boresnakes might be a way to go as well?

I would appreciate any input on this (I have 6 months and a decent budget).

Also, mods, if this is the wrong forum, I apologize, please redirect.

Thanks

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning tactics for small PD range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
taliv
December 23, 2005, 06:59 PM
boresnakes for shotgun/pistol. dewey rods for ARs. make sure you buy some bore guides for the ARs. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=115057 although i recommend the nylon ones instead of aluminum.

if it were me, i'd spend 80% of your budget on as many cases of ezzox or CLP and Sheath as you can.
10% on jags/patches and the stuff i list below
10% on big signs that say "don't bring any ammo to this area" and "unload your gun. unload it again."

get http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=110829 tipton's new gun vise for ARs.

consider getting one of those 10"-12" TVs with the built-in dvd/VCR and mount it on or over the cleaning station and play how-to videos for cleaning, assembly/disassembly and safe handling.

DEFINITELY require eye protection (results in fewer close-enounters with guide rods/springs)

highly recommend you provide surgical masks or whatever they're called. they're cheap and will cut down on inhaling too much nasty stuff.

Pilgrim
December 23, 2005, 07:02 PM
What I like is an auto parts cleaning tank that circulates cleaning solvent. The shooter strips his weapon, sprays the solvent all over the component parts, then scrubs it down with brushes including the bore brush. When he finishes, he blow dries it with an air nozzle from an air compressor and tank.

One of the prisons in the county uses this method. They run a lot of shooters through the range.

Pilgrim

Blue Line
December 23, 2005, 07:44 PM
Don't forget to have an air compressor or better yet get a big one and have the cleaning room plumbed for air at the stations. Being able to blow out stuff is handy.
As far as cleaning I'd stick to Hoppe's #9 and what ever lube you all like.

Rabid Rabbit
December 24, 2005, 10:19 AM
I'd toss in a vented hood like what we used in chemistry class maybe not as powerful or large but enough to minimize the fumes.

bogie
December 24, 2005, 11:26 AM
For rifles, I'd go with Butch's Bore Shine. For everything else, Ed's Red would be cost effective.

Seriously. You cannot clean a rifle like you clean a shotgun or a pistol.

Eisande
December 24, 2005, 04:22 PM
thanks for the suggestions. I think we are getting a surplus (though brand new) solvent tank, so we can definitely try that. I like dewey rods, so I think those might bet included.

I like the idea of the cleaning video, interesting.

We also usually have a lot of rubber gloves available too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning tactics for small PD range" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!