Concerned about owning registered guns?

PDA

Stinkyshoe
April 7, 2003, 01:17 AM
I have been considering replacing my old Ar with a Bushmaster or Colt Ar15. I found a Colt that I can buy that will be unregistered but it is an A2. I really want the bushmaster because I can order it in the A3 config. and have a more versatile gun. The Colt was a never been fired 20 inch A2 for $900. The Bushmaster is an A3 and it will cost $835. I wonder if maybe I should buy the Colt as an investment and not shoot it.
I have a friend who thinks that registrations leads to confiscation.
What do you guys think about this? Should I think twice before buying registered? I am a law abiding citizen. I just don't think that I should buy something that eventually could be confiscated because some powerful people want to disarm americans and take our rights and make them into privileges.
Thanks
Ss

If you enjoyed reading about "Concerned about owning registered guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LiquidTension
April 7, 2003, 01:55 AM
My personal opinion is that you should leave as little of a paper trail as possible, whenever possible. It is nobody's business what guns you have, ESPECIALLY the government.

PATH
April 7, 2003, 02:54 AM
They're good but they aren't perfect and omniscient. ;)

boing
April 7, 2003, 03:14 AM
I just don't think that I should buy something that eventually could be confiscated because some powerful people want to disarm americans and take our rights and make them into privileges.

So when confiscation comes, and you stand there doing nothing about it, what good is your off-paper gun going to do you buried in the garden?

A registered gun will shoot tyrants dead just as well as an unregistered gun.

buford1
April 7, 2003, 04:17 AM
From my cold dead hands.:cuss:

J Miller
April 7, 2003, 10:36 AM
I just don't think that I should buy something that eventually could be confiscated because some powerful people want to disarm americans and take our rights and make them into privileges.
If this is the way you feel, you shouldn't buy any gun. Because the goal of the liberals and anti-gunners is to ban everything. One gun or type at a time.

Personally I agree with LiquidTension, it's nobodys business what guns I have. I'd buy the Colt and enjoy it.

Lone_Gunman
April 7, 2003, 11:03 AM
Have you ever bought a new gun since the mandatory instant check system went in place?

If so, the BATF already has your name and address, and knows you are a gun owner.

TheOtherOne
April 7, 2003, 11:09 AM
Technically it's not registered. There is just a record showing that you bought it.

I never understood that because it sounds like registration to me.

What good was the gun owners protection act, thanks to it we have no new machine guns and despite it we still have gun "registration" today.

cratz2
April 7, 2003, 11:34 AM
Well I don't know anything about it myself, I will observe that there are no doubt folks in this country, but probably not on this forum, that will buy one gun, hopefully at a good price, and through gunshows and what have you, try to trade that gun for another similar gun maybe at a financial loss so that there is not a paper trail leading that gun to them. Some folks, if they have friends and family that they trust completely, might even keep a number of these sorts of guns at other locations just in case the wrong person was to come into power and get a few laws passed.

Dave R
April 7, 2003, 11:37 AM
I heard someone suggest a "de-registration ploy". You put a want-ad in the paper for all your firearms that are on 4473's. Don't actually sell 'em. But then you can say you did. Cash only, no receipts.

Don't know how much good that does. There are several guns I bought on 4473's that I later traded in on others. Don't know if I have the receipts for that or not.

one-shot-one
April 7, 2003, 12:20 PM
the point is once the firearms are illeagle you will not be able to venture out of your house with them, it does not matter if they are papered or not. the anti's are willing to wait. get caught with a gun after they are against the law and your property will be searched and all confiscated, and you will probably be going away.

Airwolf
April 7, 2003, 01:57 PM
If you’ve bought anything that you’ve had to do a 4473, for all intents and purposes you’re registered.

Remember the MD. shootings? They went to gun shops, pulled the forms and started tracking people down. It’s not a push-button database but the paper trail exists, it just takes a bit longer to connect the dots.

The rest of you in free America think about the situation here in Kaliforistan (and some other states). Not only is there a 4473 but the state actually does register each sale in Sacramento. Even when I move from this cesspool, there is NO WAY to un-register my collection. If the day does come when they come for our guns, it would be trivial in the grand scheme of things to find out where I’ve moved to and come knocking on my door.

Even if I sell my entire collection and buy new ones via private sales in a state that doesn’t require 4473’s I’M STILL REGISTERED IN CALIFORNIA FOREVER. Even if I really do get rid of everything (fat chance) under a general confiscation order I could still expect someone to show up at my door.

The only people that would escape something like this are those that have NEVER purchased a firearm that required a 4473. We’re talking someone that purchased everything before 1968 and if they’ve gotten anything since it’s been “under the table” or via private sales in states that don’t require background checks for those transactions.

In short, don’t worry about it. Get what you want. We ALL may have our backs to the wall eventually and will have to make the choice to submit or resist.

Deadman
April 7, 2003, 05:23 PM
In order to own any firearm here in Australia it must be registered with the relevant state police registry.

We'll all be able to see the effectiveness of a gun registry in a western nation when the partial semi-auto handgun ban comes into effect in Aus in June/July.

Ohen Cepel
April 7, 2003, 08:44 PM
More than likely, if there is a "list" we're all on it already!

Two issues come to my mind though:
1. There is no proof that I still own it, only that I did. I know that won't do you any good though.

2. The second point is that if we all cower and don't buy anything new from a dealer then they will eventually go out of business along with the manufacturers. Then the anti's have won by us doing nothing.

Live your life!

If you want it buy it! I'm sure people thought that they would take all the guns in '68.

My 2 cents.

Standing Wolf
April 7, 2003, 09:38 PM
Firearms registration is confiscation on the installment plan, though how soon confiscation will happen is an unknown.

As far as I know, the only way to be sure a gun isn't connected with your name is to steal it—but I sure as @#$%^&! don't advocate it.

CAP
April 7, 2003, 09:44 PM
Deadman, I'm sorry.
I always thought Down Under a great place until the nazi gun laws started.

Topgun
April 7, 2003, 09:49 PM
And to think that 2 generations of gun nuts fell all over each other to get a REGISTERED S&W M27 .357 mag.

Kristofer
April 8, 2003, 12:08 AM
I just don't think that I should buy something that eventually could be confiscated
I would hope you wouldn't let it be confiscated.

All my guns are registered, due to my state, and I'll tell you one thing. If they come for my guns.................They gotta catch me first.:neener:

Jedi_7.62
April 8, 2003, 02:52 PM
Anyone ever think how much info we give the Government right here on this very website how hard is it to track every gun we've even thought about buying, Just follow our IP adress and wallah!

I prefer as small a paper trail as possible but what can ya do? How do you pay for guns credit card - traced, check - traced, cash maybe not unless you have a receipt then there is dealers inventory logs not mention back ground checks. It's all recorded.

My solution buy enough guns and ammo that they never want to come looking for you.

You could sell everything and have a buddy take a load of cash to a gunshow and reequip you. I don't think they do any checks there, not sure I've only bought ammo and magazines there.

However, if they really want them....MOLON LABE!!!!!

Carlos
April 8, 2003, 08:59 PM
Get one and enjoy. Shoot, I have a 03 FFL and a CHL and I know that all the guns I purchased with a 4473 are essentially registered guns. Let em come confiscate my guns.

goon
April 8, 2003, 10:06 PM
Even if you could pull off the story about selling off all of your guns, there is still another issue.
You are a gunowner. Even if it can't be proven, most of us have our names on several peices of paper out there that connect us to that.
Hunting license forms- You generally use a gun to hunt.
CCW- self explanatory.
C&R license- self explanatory.
4473- self explanatory.

And the biggest kicker is that you are a member of this forum.
You have already posted your plans on a shooting/2nd ammendment forum. How hard do you think it would be for a gov't agency to find out who you are?
All of this is circumstantial, but that is a moot point.

You are a gunowner, and you support the Constitution. You are willing to lie to federal authorities, risk prison, risk your life, and do what else to resist what you feel is wrong.
That is what will make you target.

Owning a gun is irrevelant. You are the type to make trouble, and you are still a threat, even when you are armed with only a claw-hammer, because of your mindset.
If confiscation were to occur, then we would end up in a world of hurt.
There is just no other way to look at it.

TheLastBoyScout
April 8, 2003, 10:40 PM
Goon-
Owning a gun is irrevelant. You are the type to make trouble, and you are still a threat, even when you are armed with only a claw-hammer, because of your mindset.
See my sig... There's also
There's no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only a dangerous man. Dangerous even with a knife. Dangerous without the knife. Dangerous as long as he has one arm or leg to strike with.- Heinlein, Starship Troopers

There's no way I wouldn't be tagged as a shooter, so I would get what I want, paper trail be damned. I think Oleg's site has an essay on the subject of what would happen after confiscation. I agree with the assessment that after disarmament, you would have a large number of people who would be ticking time bombs, ready to ignite resistance if they could ever be rearmed. A sane authoritarian would never let this happen, so I would never expect a free existence in this scenario.
As to an unfree existence, you all know the quotes on that by memory...:evil:

WilderBill
April 8, 2003, 11:29 PM
If you only buy from family and friends with "extras" and only pay cash, you don't leave much of a trail.
As I have posted before: a private sale should be just that, private!

keyhole
April 9, 2003, 11:22 AM
I run about half & half. Anytime I get the chance to buy one off paper, I do so. Of course, if it comes down to it, they were all stolen in a burglary.:evil: It has happened before, and taken years to get back to where I was then. Valuable lesson learned.

AmericanFreeBird
April 9, 2003, 02:08 PM
Stinky,

So far, registration has always led to confiscation. The jury is still out in American on this but after it happens I'm sorry I won't be around to tell you "I told you so."

:eek: :what:

goon
April 9, 2003, 05:46 PM
So far, registration has always led to confiscation. The jury is still out in American on this but after it happens I'm sorry I won't be around to tell you "I told you so."

That could be right. At the very least, registration will not help anything, and at worst it could be used to disarm the American public. The thing is, what is the difference?
If it comes to that point, then what good will having the Winchester buried in your yard do?
You will be faced with two choices; you either comply or you don't.
The 4473 has little to do with that one.

megatronrules
April 9, 2003, 06:44 PM
I f we all vote and do our part as gun owners it will never come to the point of gun confisaction. We are unique as americans in we can chose our leaders so lets chose the right ones and don't think for a minute that gun confiscation can't happen here because it can and has already on a smaller scale. They thought it couldn't happen in england right up until it did. I've had people tell me "they won't get my guns" well news flash they don't have to all they have to do is make them contaband and presto they are useless.

The truth is if it ever comes to that here in the united states of america then we have already lost! We need to hang in there together and fight. Hunters and the like need to back up handgun owners and so forth. I've also had hunters tell me "They don't want my gun I don't own an ak-47 or even care for handguns" Well let me tell you today my handgun is a "small easily concealable killing weapon thats prefered by criminals because of this" Tomorow your deer rifle is "a sniper rifle able to kill at long distances" see the logic here?

Gun owners need to stand up in this country before it ever comes to that point. The sad fact is most gun owners don't vote and thats sad because there are 80 million + gun owners and 3 million nra members you do the math. If gun owners got together and voted just on the issue of gun rights we would be an unbeatable voting block. if we don't protect it today it won't be here tomorow.

If you enjoyed reading about "Concerned about owning registered guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!