Leather care

PDA

STAGE 2
December 23, 2005, 05:33 PM
What do you guys use for your holsters/sheaths etc. to keep it nice and supple and protect it from sun/sweat/elements.

If you enjoyed reading about "Leather care" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Monkeyleg
December 23, 2005, 05:49 PM
I just wipe holsters down with a slightly damp cloth, and then use a cream shoe polish on them. Problem is, even the neutral shoe polish darkens the tan leather on my Galco holster.

Old Fuff
December 23, 2005, 06:19 PM
In many, if not most cases, you don't want a soft, supple holster. The best ones are molded to grip and hold the handgun until it is drawn. Using products that soften the leather will cause them to loose this "holding" feature.

Holsters that were oiled by the manufacturer can be treated with oil-based leather dressings. Others that were not should be coated with a good, clear paste wax designed for use on leather. Leather shops and some shoe departments/stores sell this kind dressing. If in doubt, ask the holster maker for advice.

308win
December 23, 2005, 06:21 PM
Do not use anything with Lanolin in it. Lanolin is the worse thing you can put on good leather. Saddlesoap and a good neutral shoe wax is all you need.

chuckles
December 23, 2005, 06:51 PM
Try Pecard Leather Dressing. Best stuff I've seen for care of quality leather goods. www.turnersling.com sells it. Good stuff!

enfield
December 23, 2005, 08:47 PM
Kramer recommends neutral shoe polish only. Don't put oil or grease on your leather!!!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Leather care" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!