M1 Garand Timimg

PDA

Deles136
April 7, 2003, 03:17 AM
How do you check the timing on an M1 Garand?
Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Garand Timimg" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve Smith
April 7, 2003, 06:19 PM
You use an armorer's timing block. I don't know if they're still available.

AZ Jeff
April 10, 2003, 04:32 PM
Kuhnhausen's book on the M1/M14 Service Rifles describes how to use a clip of dummy cartriges to check timing for those of us who lack a ordnance corps timing guage. This is best done with the action out of the stock, to see the relationships more clearly. He also recommends using a cut-down op rod spring, so as to decrease the chances of getting bit by the action closing.

Here is what he says, paraphrased
1. lock action open, and place en bloc clip on follower as normal.
2. depress clip, and observe how follower arm begins to move op rod catch out of engagement with hooks on rear of op rod.
3. clip should latch BEFORE op rod catch releases op rod.
4. op rod should NOT release before clip is below the reciever bridge far enough to guarantee that clip does not get struck by the bolt as it flies.

I suggest that if you don't have the Kuhnhausen manual, and you plan on working on M1's much, get one from Brownell's or whereever. You will be glad you did!!

Deles136
April 10, 2003, 05:12 PM
AZ Jeff, I will get the manual and many thanks, Old Man

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Garand Timimg" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!