Daylight savings

PDA

MitchSchaft
April 7, 2003, 04:39 AM
Is the board time not set to jump ahead an hour?

If you enjoyed reading about "Daylight savings" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheBluesMan
April 7, 2003, 09:53 PM
We're boycotting the jump to Daylight Savings Time. It is a conspiracy to steal time from the working man by making him go to bed earlier. It is yet another way that the evil trilateral commission, the illuminati and the Masons work together to control the world. It will bring nothing but grief and pain to all who participate. Duct tape some tinfoil to your head (shiny side out), throw your television out the window and listen to Art Bell.

Either that or we'll get to it soon. ;)

Mal H
April 7, 2003, 11:14 PM
I hate the change to and from Daylight Savings Time; I always lose several hours sleep and am usually late for whatever I have planned the next day.

I set my alarm clock to wake up at 2:00 AM and sleepily go around the house changing all the clocks. Then it is almost impossible to get back to sleep for at least an hour or more after all that exercise. But the worst thing is that I inevitably forget to reset the alarm for the time I need to get up in the morning!

;)

MitchSchaft
April 8, 2003, 12:02 AM
Yikes. I set all my clocks before I go to bed :neener:

Mal H
April 8, 2003, 12:08 AM
D'oh! (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=gullible)

MitchSchaft
April 8, 2003, 01:04 AM
You :cuss:. I know a joke when I see one.:neener:

TheBluesMan
April 8, 2003, 01:07 AM
MitchShaft - I would advise you to edit your post. Admitting to illegal activities like that could get both you and The High Road in big trouble with the time police. Everybody knows that you can't set them back before you go to bed, you have to do it like Mal; at exactly 2:00 a.m. I'll find the text of the law at Cornell's United States Code webpage. Hang on a second... :p :D

Mal - Somebody dun tole me that werd wuznt in the dikshunary...

Mal H
April 8, 2003, 01:20 AM
MitchSchaft - I know, and so do I. :neener:

TBM - Hu wazzit? Mykl?

sm
April 8, 2003, 01:22 AM

Mal H
April 8, 2003, 10:35 AM
D'oh!
And this time I mean it.

The answer to the Daylight Savings Time problem is easy now that tyme just 'splained it to us.

The system clock is set to GMT and won't be reset just because some Congressmen here in the US think we need more daylight hours. Several states and most of the remainder of the world would be off by an hour (or two in some cases).

To reflect the correct time if you are affected by DST, go to the "user cp" and "Edit Options". Set your "Time offset" to one hour less than the current setting, e.g., for EST, set the offset to CST.

The solution for vBulletin would be to have the DST zones as selectable options in the offset list, but vB isn't that sophisticated yet and probably never will be. Automating the change in a similar fashion to Windows and other OS' also isn't possible since the members location isn't always available or accurate.

tyme
April 20, 2003, 02:26 AM
Just don't get me started about 12hr vs 24hr/military time. :)

The *worst* is moronic online news entities who think they're brilliant for managing a 'net presence at all, but who cleverly forget to include any indication of their timezone. I mean, everyone knows where the (e.g.) "Bryant Times" is located, right?

It's not that system time is GMT; it's not. There are two php calls to get the date: date() and gmdate(). date() uses the system timezone, which 'cuz THR uses ET would result in proper DST adjustments for those in areas that use US-based DST adjustments.

To briefly summarize the explanation mal mentioned,

AZ and parts of IN don't use DST. A variety of areas in Europe and Asia either don't use DST or use it starting on different days (Israel sets DST by law each year and there's no algorithmic way to compute when the shift occurs). And, of course, zones in the Southern hemisphere, or at least the parts that use the same DST start and end dates, would _always_ be an hour off, but in the opposite direction each switch date. We'd be starting DST when they were ending it.

Australia is quite a mess. Some entities use different timezones for their own schedules. Only China is smart, having one timezone for the whole country (at least officially) and no DST. Ahh, the benefits of a police state.

Finally, using date() instead of gmdate() means that even though GMT doesn't change, anyone trusting that their GMT+-X timezone won't change would be betrayed, and would have to change timezones to GMT+-X-1 in order to stay accurate. I really don't care whether THR times I see are accurate, but if it says GMT, it seems really silly for it to actually be GMT+1 And no, that's not correctable because there's no easy way from within PHP to figure out whether the system thinks DST is in effect.

There are so many ridiculous timezones in the world, the only real solution is to allow the user to specify some parameters (I want X timezone, offset by Z minutes from date A to date B, where a and b could be dates or just "first sunday in april to last sunday in october"). That would take a bit of messing with the usercp templates that I don't really find all that exciting. I'd be happy to provide the appropriate php files and db structure for those so bothered by it they're willing to fix it themselves.

People who live in places that can't be specified by one timezone, one offset, and two dates to switch the offset on and off, are pretty much by definition living in a hopeless state and the authority that specifies their DST system should be removed from power/office. This isn't a personal choice that a government should be given latitude to make; this is something that affects everyone, unless nobody does any business with anyone in the country in question. If a country is totally isolated, that means no internet or other forms of near-instantaneous communication, and hence this discussion does not apply to them.

CZ 75 BD
April 20, 2003, 02:38 AM
on GMT and ya won't have any problems!:p

tyme
April 20, 2003, 03:29 AM
CZ, not everyone is as crazy as you or I. :o

I seem to have forgotten to mention that the tropics do not observe DST at all.

Here are some descriptions of the insanity:
http://www.standardtime.com/petition.shtml
http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/ (includes some rather humorous quotes)
http://www.worldtimezone.com/daylight.htm
http://slashcode.com/comments.pl?sid=1321&cid=4643

There's some rationality in the argument that DST saves electricity and oil by trying to keep most civilian activity within daylight hours. If that's really the case, though, there ought to be north and south adjustments in addition to the three CONUS timezone lines and the use of DST, since the south needs DST less than the north. While we're at it, let's shorten the workday to ensure that people are out less at night. :rolleyes:

On further consideration, the oil saving argument doesn't hold up. How much energy would be saved during the summer in air conditioning costs if the work day was 10pm-6am? Light are going to be on in offices during work hours anyway. If anything, it saves even more electricity - businesses need to keep lights on at night for security, but if off hours were during the day they wouldn't, or at least not as much.

Here's another argument for DST (haven't confirmed it yet)
"(5 September 1999, Jerusalem) The switch away from daylight savings time caused consternation among terrorist groups this year. At precisely 0530 Israel time on Sunday, two coordinated car bombs exploded in different cities, killing three terrorists who were transporting the bombs. It was initially believed that the devices had been detonated prematurely by klutzy amateurs. A closer look revealed the truth behind the untimely explosions. Three days before, Israel had made a premature switch from Daylight Savings time to standard time in order to accommodate a week of Silihot, involving pre-sunrise prayers. Palestinians refused to "live on Zionist time." Two weeks of scheduling havoc ensued. The bombs had been prepared in a Palestine-controlled area, and set on Daylight Savings Time. The Confused drivers had already switched to standard time. As a result, the cars were still en-route when the explosives detonated, delivering to the terrorists their demise." (http://nitro.biosci.arizona.edu/humor/darwin2000.txt)

Mal H
April 20, 2003, 10:11 AM
TMI

;)

Tamara
April 20, 2003, 11:54 AM
...and don't forget that the whole concept of four uniform time zones in the U.S. was brought to you not by your loving and munificent government, fount of all blessings that it is, but by eeeevil and heartless capitalist swine at the railroad companies so that their choo-choo trains wouldn't run into each other on the same track because it was 7:45 in Minneapolis but 7:55 in St. Paul.

If you enjoyed reading about "Daylight savings" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!