Walmart Scopes?

PDA

Browns Fan
December 24, 2005, 05:38 PM
I was at Walmart today and happen to notice that they have a selection of rifle scopes by Leupold and Nikon! These scopes are reasonably priced. I was wondering if any of you guys bought any of these scopes and are they any good?

If you enjoyed reading about "Walmart Scopes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Majik
December 24, 2005, 05:42 PM
Leupolds are great scopes, as you probably know. For just a regular shooter, I'd jump on those scopes if you needed one. Nikon's make excellent scopes also, but I'd prefer a Leupold. For general purpose, its really hard to go wrong, unless you want all the bells and whistles of a scope, which Walmart only carries the lower end Leupolds and Nikons.

MCgunner
December 24, 2005, 05:45 PM
I was at Walmart today and happen to notice that they have a selection of rifle scopes by Leupold and Nikon! These scopes are reasonably priced. I was wondering if any of you guys bought any of these scopes and are they any good?

Both brands are known to be quality, but I must admit I don't keep up with optics all that much anymore. I can say, Simmons makes high dollar scopes that some folks swear by and CHEAP CRAP that Walmart sells (Deerfield) that is just plain worse than junk. I don't know if Leupold and Nikon have tried to tap the bottom grade market or not, but beware 'cause in optics, mostly you DO get what you pay for. I'd rather have a cheap scope with less than desirable optics that will hold together if I have to chose a cheap scope. Bushnell makes scopes that are rugged even at the lowest price level (sportview), however, their optical quality isn't exactly first rate.

The best bargain money for quality I've found in optics is Weaver. They sell variables for under $200 that are VERY strong and yet have VERY good, not Schmitt and Bender quality, but very good optics. Some scopes like the Weaver defy the "get what you pay for" adage, but mostly you do get what you pay for in optics.

taliv
December 24, 2005, 07:08 PM
all the leupold scopes (and bases/rings etc) i've ever seen at walmart are a different brand (e.g. "Rifleman") and not their regular line.

it's my understanding that it's a cheap crappy version, not the version responsible for leupold's reputation. you get what you pay for.

Dollar An Hour
December 24, 2005, 08:31 PM
I'm looking to purchase a .22 silhouette scope soon and have heard the Leupold VXIII 6.5-20x40mm is about as good as it gets. I know being a Leupold it's going to be expensive too.

MCgunner's post about Weavers got me thinking... Are there some other scopes that would be a good substitute but cost a bit less?

jefnvk
December 24, 2005, 08:34 PM
all the leupold scopes (and bases/rings etc) i've ever seen at walmart are a different brand (e.g. "Rifleman") and not their regular line.

it's my understanding that it's a cheap crappy version, not the version responsible for leupold's reputation. you get what you pay for.

Wish I could remember what mag I read this in, but one reason they are cheaper is lack of options. There is one or two sizes, one or two magnifications and one type of finish.

Nevertheless, some Wal-Marts sell the Vari-x lines.

Art Eatman
December 24, 2005, 09:15 PM
I checked at one WalMart superstore, and they had a catalogue listing ALL the Leupold scopes. They can get any of them.

The "Rifleman" is the low-end deal, but the only relatively-minor drawback is the lens coatings. Not the optimum for early dawn or near-dark shooting. Otherwise, it's a plenty-good scope for hunting.

Art

taliv
December 24, 2005, 09:30 PM
odd. i checked their website and it only lists one scope (a rifleman)

jefnvk
December 24, 2005, 09:57 PM
They do have more, taliv. Probably just not available online.

R.W.Dale
December 24, 2005, 10:01 PM
If you ask the sales rep to get "THA CATALOG" out you will find that wallyworld can order almost anything a gunshop can, excluding handguns. As for rifleman scopes I use a 3x12x40 on my 7400 I am completely satisfied with it.

taliv
December 24, 2005, 10:32 PM
cool. i stand corrected then

Gohon
December 24, 2005, 11:51 PM

Not so........... the Rifleman is just the low end Leupold line and it is not a cheap crappy version, simply on the low end of their quality line. You really think a company like Leupold would make junk and chance ruining their reputation. Get real..........All scope manufactures have scopes from the low end to the high end.

ken B
December 24, 2005, 11:58 PM
from what I've read, the Leupy "Rifleman" is a 'bargain' scope from the firm, but nothing as low as the Simmons Deerfield. The price is still way above the cheapy cheapy scopes.

As far as I can gather, the differences are the lens coatings, instead of 1/4 moa 'clicks' for turret adjustment it has 'friction' somethings...it'll hold but no tell-tale clicks, and it's limited on what you can get in the Rifleman series. On the scope mounts, their all aluminum, so maybe that is the cheaper deal. Still Leupy!

On the Nikons, I bought the $99 4x Pro Staff from my WalMart. Same as the one my buddy got from Cabelas (for the same price but had to pay shipping). Same box, same paperwork, has 1/4 moa clicks for adjustment, good clear glass. have yet to use it in the stand early or late day, so only time will tell, but it was only going on a $150 30/30 for a 'brother in law' gun! Thier Buckmaster Nikons look to be the same price as the popular suppliers.

just my 2 cents

redranger1
December 25, 2005, 12:37 AM
i bought a set of leupold scope rigs from wally world last spring for $10. i figured thats awefully cheap but i also assumed that havinf leupolds name on them they would be good rings...not the case. they are way out of square and are completely useless. so ive decided that its not worth buyin anything from wal mart like that or cheap stuff no matter the name on the product.

MCgunner
December 25, 2005, 12:06 PM
I'm looking to purchase a .22 silhouette scope soon and have heard the Leupold VXIII 6.5-20x40mm is about as good as it gets. I know being a Leupold it's going to be expensive too.

MCgunner's post about Weavers got me thinking... Are there some other scopes that would be a good substitute but cost a bit less?

I think the Weaver is about the best scope on the market for the money. I first read about 'em in "Gun Tests", which I used to subscribe to. These guys are very critical of most anything they test. Stuff I think is great, they say is junk. :D Anyway, they tested a bunch of scopes in one test and the Weaver topped 'em all! And, Midway has 'em listed for under $200 for the 2x10 x38mm I bought for my M7 Remington. They build target/varmint variables with adjustable parallax and such, but I'm not up on those scopes, but I can vouch for the optical quality and especially the ruggedness of the scopes. I've bumped that .308 around a lot and it stays on target. I've been about the most satisfied with any scope I've ever purchased with that Weaver.

I have another scope I got cheap, but only because it was discontinued, a Weatherby Supreme 3x9x44. That is the absolute best optical quality of any scope I've owned. It's far superior to the Leupolds and Redfields that are so popular. It rivals lots of European stuff like Zeiss. It's now mounted on my 7 mag 'cause I figured that gun needed the ruggedness of it. It's a fantastic scope, but I believe, no longer available. It cost me $150 on a sell out special from a mail order place.

My Weaver is absolutely as good as any Leupold and for a fraction of the price. I highly recommend them. I've heard good stuff about Burris, never owned one. But, they're a lot higher dollar than Weaver. I shy away from anything Simmons. I've never owned one, but I know of a Deerfield that couldn't handle .30-06 recoil. It fell apart and was repaired and is on my friends .22 now. I'm wondering if it'll handle the .22's recoil for very long. :rolleyes: If they build crap like that, I ain't going to spend real money on one of their higher dollar scopes, especially when for a little more, I can get a Weaver. Bushnell makes rugged scopes, I have owned several. Their top of the line might be good optics, but the Banner I have is less than impressive. The Trophy series, I believe, is the top model. You can check the optical quality in a store before purchase and I can vouch for their ability to handle recoil and such. They're good scopes.

Dollar An Hour
December 25, 2005, 12:34 PM
Hey Thanks MCgunner...

Lots of good info there, and I'm gonna look hard at the Weaver line and maybe Bushnell. Sounds like Weaver value is unbeatable though, and I don't need to spend the money for a top-line Leupold variable either. ;)

JOKEN
December 25, 2005, 12:58 PM
Look at www.bullseyesupplies.com

taliv
December 25, 2005, 02:04 PM
Not so........... the Rifleman is just the low end Leupold line and it is not a cheap crappy version, simply on the low end of their quality line. You really think a company like Leupold would make junk and chance ruining their reputation. Get real..........All scope manufactures have scopes from the low end to the high end.

heh

help me understand the difference between "cheap, crappy version" and "low quality"

Mercedes makes a cheap junky version that's almost ruined their reputation. leupold should be careful.

Art Eatman
December 26, 2005, 02:15 PM
taliv, it's not "low quality". It just lacks the bells and whistles. There's nothing wrong with the friction system, if your primary use is hunting. For over 50 years I've mostly done the "set it and forget it" thing, but for the occasional very slight movement at a re-sight-in. Why pay extra for guaranteed repeatability in clicking, when it doesn't serve any worthwhile purpose for my particular use?

Coatings are relatively unimportant for hunting during the "sunup" hours, particularly at the more common deer-shooting distances of less than 200 yards.

And I'll be any Leupold scope can handle recoil just fine.

:), Art

Highland Ranger
December 26, 2005, 02:23 PM
Same lifetime warranty?

If you enjoyed reading about "Walmart Scopes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!