ak-47 question

PDA

adrianleewelch
December 24, 2005, 10:13 PM
Does anyone here know if you can install a seperate stock and pistol grip on a norinco mak-90, Mine has a fiberforce stock on it, and on guns america they only have the wooden thumbhole stock on all of those for sale, so it looks as though thats all you can put on the seperate pieces. I have a romanian with seperate pieces on it, but im unsure if you can do it on the norincos legally. I read somewhere that even though the assault weapons ban has expired, there are still some kooky laws about ak's and the variants. I tried to get the info from BATF's site but its too much info and I cant sort through all of it find the answer. I will call them if necessary, just hoping someone would chime in here

If you enjoyed reading about "ak-47 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SouthpawShootr
December 24, 2005, 10:47 PM
I doubt ATF will help you to any significant degree. You'll have to write them, ask the firearms technology branch very narrowly if you can assemble this gun with US made compliance parts into the standard pistol grip and buttstock configuration.

You'll need to go over to www.ak-47.net and look over the forums. I'm somewhat curious about this question myself, as I used to have one of these rifles and sold it to a buddy (he wants to do what you're contemplating).

Now I've searched over there and it seems there is a big debate about whether you can modify these guns legally. Lots of threads on the subject, here's one example:

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=253918&page=2&pp=30&highlight=mak-90+stock+pistol+grip

I'm sorry I couldn't give you a yes or no on this.

whm1974
December 25, 2005, 01:46 AM
I read somewhere that even though the assault weapons ban has expired, there are still some kooky laws about ak's and the variants.

Not so much about AK's, but imported rifles. As long as the rifle in question has the right number of american made parts, then you can what you want with it.

-Bill

MTMilitiaman
December 25, 2005, 02:01 AM
I believe you can install a regular stock and pistol grip, but the rifle then has to be 922 compliant, which means you have to add a certain amount (6?) of U.S made parts or it counts as an imported rifle.

Azrael256
December 25, 2005, 06:26 AM
Swap out your fire control group for something US made. Red Star Arms probably has something that will fit your rifle, and it's probably better quality than the factory stuff anyway. It's a whole mess of parts if you do the whole thing, but it's pretty simple to do (think illiterate Russian/Chinese peasant simple) and it will get the parts count well on the US side. I think you get 3 or 4 US parts on the official count. IIRC the little pins don't count.

Edit: Upon further review... Go with a US made pistol grip and stock. They're on the parts list, so you'd be in compliance, assuming that your rifle was to begin with. I still recommend a higher quality FCG. I dunno about Norks, but the ROMAKs have a wicked trigger slap that is cured with the better parts.

Steelcore
December 25, 2005, 11:14 AM
Yes you can install a separate stock and pistol grip.You must have 5 usa made parts or 6 if you want a muzzle brake and that muzzle brake must be made in usa.
One bad thing about a lot of Mak 90s and 91 is that the back of th rcvr was rounded off.When you install a stock you will have a pretty large gap between the rcvr and the stock.

If you enjoyed reading about "ak-47 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!